Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#ubuntu-us-dc, 2012-10-17

Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
22:59 meeting Meeting started Wed Oct 17 22:59:59 2012 UTC. The chair is bcurtiswx. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
22:59 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
23:00 kjcole is here
23:00 bcurtiswx #topic Roll Call
23:00 is here
23:00 kjcole is here
23:00 bcurtiswx ChinnoDog, you here?
23:00 marcoceppi, thanks for attending
23:01 marcoceppi yw
23:01 bcurtiswx Sujit, you here?
23:01 Sujit yup
23:01 bcurtiswx Great :)
23:01 Sujit on time this time
23:01 bcurtiswx Sujit :) ChinnoDog let us know when you're here
23:01 Sujit What's the agenda tonight?
23:02 bcurtiswx Topic are posted here:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Distri[…]ingNotes/20121015
23:02 #link https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Distri[…]ingNotes/20121015
23:02 Sujit yeah i read that. I meant do we have anything specific in mind
23:02 bcurtiswx Sujit, we'll be discussing everything on there :) i'll be your lovely moderator tonight
23:02 kjcole #topic Monthly Meeting official new date
23:03 bcurtiswx i'm not sure if you can do that since I started the meeting..
23:03 <shrugs>
23:03 kjcole bcurtiswx: Oh. OK, you do it. ;-)
23:03 bcurtiswx #topic Monthly Meeting official new date
23:03 So since today worked well for a good chunk of people
23:04 #idea Meeting every third Thursday of the month
23:04 This is now up for a vote
23:04 kjcole Wednesday works for me.  Especially considering we're going monthly instead of some insane attempt at weekly.
23:04 marcoceppi +1 from me
23:04 bcurtiswx +1 here
23:04 kjcole +1
23:05 bcurtiswx Sujit, your vote?
23:05 Sujit yes.
23:05 bcurtiswx since I have not heard from ChinnoDog i'll skip them for now
23:06 Vote passes: 4 yes, 0 no, 0 abstain.
23:06 #topic Upcoming Events
23:07 There is a meeting coming up for on Broadband
23:07 kjcole, would you please explain what goes on there and some info about it
23:07 kjcole #idea Tomorrow(?) is release day.
23:08 #idea Digital Capital Week (DCWEEK) also coming up fast.
23:08 As for the Broadband Summit...
23:08 Sujit Excited for new refined Unity Lens
23:08 bcurtiswx OK first thing, Broadband summit
23:09 kjcole ...Probably not for the LoCo per se.  It is a meeting hosted by the DC Government's Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO).
23:09 bcurtiswx Still, it's nice to know all of whats going on around the region that technology related
23:09 Sujit Yeah. Its doesnt have anything related to Ubuntu I guess
23:09 kjcole Government wonks blather on about trying to improve digital inclusion, and others lobby for them to hurry it up.
23:10 bcurtiswx did this summit have anything to do with the eventual wireless access in WMATA tunnels
23:10 kjcole There is some overlap between the Broadband Bridge group and the LoCo
23:10 but the Summit is probably not going to be the place to exploit that.
23:10 bcurtiswx #action kjcole to add these events to LoCo calendar
23:11 ok, then DCWEEK ?
23:12 Sujit IT IS ON A MONDAY!!
23:12 not happening for me :(
23:12 marcoceppi DCWEEK is quite long
23:12 bcurtiswx What goes on there?
23:13 marcoceppi O
23:13 I'm skimming the schedule now
23:13 bcurtiswx please add a link to it
23:13 marcoceppi http://digitalcapitalweek.org/schedule/
23:13 bcurtiswx #link http://digitalcapitalweek.org/schedule/
23:14 marcoceppi APIs, startup, funding, iOS, HTML5 from what I gathered
23:14 bcurtiswx kjcole got a link to the broadband summit ?
23:14 Sujit DCWEEK is long...not Broadband summit. http://connect.dc.gov/event/fa[…]-broadband-summit
23:14 kjcole #link http://connect.dc.gov/event/fa[…]-broadband-summit
23:14 bcurtiswx thanks
23:14 ChinnoDog I am here now.
23:14 bcurtiswx ChinnoDog, thanks for attending :)
23:15 kjcole #link https://fall2012summit.eventbrite.com/
23:15 Sujit Hello Chinnodog
23:15 ChinnoDog hiya
23:15 bcurtiswx So there are quite a few events, Would someone be willing to put together a brief summary of each of these events for the website and mailing list. I can accumulate and distribute once completed
23:15 bcurtiswx@ubuntu.com
23:16 marcoceppi Sure, I'll help out with that
23:16 bcurtiswx marcoceppi, which event would you like ?
23:16 or events
23:16 kjcole DCWEEK is now posted to the calendar.
23:16 marcoceppi I'll take DCWEEK for a brief summary
23:16 bcurtiswx kjcole,  would you make a brief summary for it and send to me at bcurtiswx@ubuntu.com
23:16 marcoceppi, it's yours
23:17 how about the broadband summit ?
23:17 kjcole I'll put the summit there for what it's worth, with the caveat that it's more wonky less LoCo'ey
23:17 bcurtiswx kjcole, OK i figured i'd gather all of it together and send one mass e-mail out. I'm happy to do that if you want to send me the summar in e-mail
23:17 summary*
23:17 kjcole ("there" being the calendar). I'll also send a summary.
23:18 bcurtiswx #action marcoceppi to send summary of DCWEEK to bcurtiswx
23:18 kjcole bcurtiswx, summary to you.
23:18 bcurtiswx #action kjcole to send summary of broadband summit to bcurtisx
23:18 or bcurtiswx.. LOL
23:18 OK onto the next topic
23:19 #topic Advertising local linux help.
23:19 Sujit I have one..
23:19 WHat happened to InstallFest?
23:19 bcurtiswx Sujit, did you want to use the mailing list to organize an installfest ?
23:20 I'm happy to work with you on it if you'd like
23:20 Sujit sure
23:20 bcurtiswx #action Sujit to work on organizing an installfest for Quantal Quetzal
23:21 Sujit Do you have a plkace in mind?/
23:21 bcurtiswx Sujit, we'll discuss that later
23:21 Sujit place*
23:21 ok.
23:21 bcurtiswx onto the topic
23:22 I think the mailing list would be a great medium to advertise people to get linux help. This gets people in our mailing list and will hopefully increase awareness of what we do
23:22 The workload behind this would require flyers to be designed and then we'll need to find out where we can legally distribute them
23:23 marcoceppi Why not just help point people to something like Ask Ubuntu?
23:23 Sujit But not many people dont know linux/ubuntu...why would they join ubuntu mailing list?
23:23 kjcole #idea folks with access to schools or community centers might possibly throw a flyer up occasionally, no?
23:23 Sujit I like flyers idea
23:23 +1
23:23 bcurtiswx kjcole, that's a good idea
23:24 it would be an advertisement to try Ubuntu and ask all questions on the mailing list.. If we use ask ubuntu we drive traffic away, why not have it come through here first and we can reference ask ubuntu if we need to ?
23:24 #agree to kjcole's idea
23:25 marcoceppi That's fine, I think we should just be pushing to help expose Ubuntu more
23:25 kjcole To spread the work around, we should try to rope Mr. Weber, who claims art among his skills, into flyer design.  (I've done a few, and could probably rejigger one of my old ones, but...)
23:26 bcurtiswx marcoceppi, we can promote Ubuntu as the main content and make pull tabs to a wiki page with how to get help
23:26 marcoceppi bcurtiswx: +1 I misunderstood the original topic
23:26 kjcole bcurtiswx, +1 that.
23:26 Sujit sounds good
23:26 bcurtiswx so #help design flyer
23:27 #help design wiki page
23:27 Ok, anything else on this topic ?
23:27 I think flyers are a good start
23:28 marcoceppi For reference, some of the resources here could help: http://spreadubuntu.org/
23:28 bcurtiswx absolutely
23:28 Sujit I think we shld ask for a confirmation frm MR Weber that he is ready to design....rather than assuming
23:28 bcurtiswx #link  http://spreadubuntu.org/
23:28 kjcole #idea Take images (and other ideas, texts, etc.) from the Software Freedom Day site
23:28 #link http://wiki.softwarefreedomday[…]#Useful_Documents.2C_Templates.2C_Files_and_Examples
23:28 bcurtiswx kjcole, yes, add the link too
23:28 YAY!
23:29 Sujit, i left it as an open help request in case he doesn't
23:29 Sujit ok.
23:30 bcurtiswx #topic Gathering information about our members and where they are in the Ubuntu "experience"
23:30 If we have a list on our wiki with member specialties it may make communication between our members easier
23:30 kjcole Before I forget: People with photos on Flickr who have not yet gotten onto the group, need to bug maco for membership.
23:30 If she's no longer maintaining that, she can probably hand admin rights to someone else.
23:31 bcurtiswx kjcole, you care to take care of finding out ?
23:31 kjcole bcrutiswx, Will ask her.
23:31 bcurtiswx #action kjcole to talk with maco about flickr group maintainence.
23:31 Anyone here want to take care of writing an e-mail to the mailing list to gather this information ?
23:32 OK, i'll leave it as an open help topic
23:32 #help write e-mail to mailing list requesting Ubuntu specialties from LoCo members
23:32 kjcole #idea http://dc.ubuntu-us.org/node/add/poll
23:33 #link http://dc.ubuntu-us.org/node/add/poll
23:33 bcurtiswx kjcole, thank you
23:33 Sujit I am sorry, but do we need to ask admin to add us to the ubuntu group before we upload photos?
23:33 bcurtiswx Sujit, good question, I am not sure
23:33 Sujit Becuase I added pics to that group and I never bothered to ask admin
23:34 kjcole Sujit, You can upload whatever you want to your account, but to have it flagged as being part of the DC Ubuntu LoCo, maco has to add you as a member to the group.
23:34 Sujit, Really?
23:34 bcurtiswx OK, kjcole is going to be looking into that so we can move on :)
23:34 Sujit hmmm. i see my pics in that group. can you guys see ?
23:34 ok
23:35 kjcole Right. Moving on. ;-)
23:35 bcurtiswx #topic Ideas for the LoCo going forward
23:35 anyone have anything they can think of that we can do as a group in the future?
23:35 marcoceppi Sadly, not sure how meetingology works, so...
23:36 More publicity for Ubuntu via demos in public places
23:36 bcurtiswx #link http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot
23:36 Sujit try to attend all meetings and events .. :-P
23:36 kjcole #idea something at HacDC, to be determined?  Perhaps tutorials on packaging?
23:36 #link http://hacdc.org/
23:36 bcurtiswx just looking at ideas right now, we'll discuss at a future time/date
23:36 use #idea for any ideas
23:36 marcoceppi #idea Ubuntu demos in public places
23:37 bcurtiswx :)
23:37 Sujit +1 marcoceppi
23:37 marcoceppi I've heard some pretty good success with small groups of Ubuntu users setting up in coffee shops with a laptop, a sign saying "Try me", and CDs
23:37 bcurtiswx Liking the ideas, lots of potential
23:38 Sujit me too.
23:38 kjcole #idea showing up / tabling at November 17, Mini Maker "unFaire" at MLK library
23:39 bcurtiswx OK, great! anything else for now?
23:39 kjcole #link https://groups.google.com/foru[…]ni-maker-faire-dc
23:39 bcurtiswx #info you can use the mailing list to discuss future ideas (for those who can't attend the formal meetings)
23:39 Sujit thats great...MLK library!
23:40 bcurtiswx last topic
23:40 #topic Chair for next meeting
23:40 kjcole #idea when / if the next DISCOvering TECHnology (Disco Tech) Faire occurs, it's ideal.
23:40 bcurtiswx I'm happy to do it
23:40 but, i don't want to hog it
23:40 kjcole +1
23:40 bcurtiswx if anyone wants to, please let me know now
23:41 kjcole bcurtiswx, you keep it moving. I would get distracted. ;-)
23:41 bcurtiswx has done this before ;0
23:41 Sujit +1
23:41 bcurtiswx ok #action bcurtiswx to chair next meeting (1 month)
23:41 Thank you all for attending
23:41 #endmeeting
23:41 meeting Meeting ended Wed Oct 17 23:41:56 2012 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
23:41 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/u[…]-17T22:59:59.html
23:41 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/u[…]12-10-17T22:59:59

Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster