Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#treehouse, 2010-05-25

Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
16:05 dogi #info Weekly Infrastructure meeting:
16:05 #info Volunteer Infrastructure Gang (http://olpcorps.org/ ),
16:05 #info Sugarlabs Infrastructure Team (http://sugarlabs.org/ ),
16:05 #info and TreeHousers (http://me.etin.gs/treehouse/ )
16:05 #info Date: 2010-05-25
16:05 #info Time: 20:00 UTC (16:00 EST, 22:00 CET)
16:05 #info Agenda: http://openetherpad.org/wGNTofNahw
16:05 #info Location: #treehouse on irc.oftc.net
16:05 #link http://embed.mibbit.com/?serve[…]nnel=%23treehouse
16:06 chrowe dogi: hi
16:06 dogi #topic last meeting
16:06 #info Usefull Links:
16:06 #info LastAgenda:
16:06 #link http://openetherpad.org/VEBg0R9bXZ
16:06 #info LastLog:
16:06 #link http://me.etin.gs/treehouse/tr[…]0100518_1607.html
16:06 #info LastMinutes:
16:06 #link http://me.etin.gs/treehouse/tr[…]0100518_1607.html
16:06 #info NextAgenda:
16:06 #link http://openetherpad.org/cEp14BO8ov
16:06 #info actioncheck
16:06 #done dogi/replaceafill updated SchooltoolVM to lucid
16:06 #done dogi installed the 3 boston server with lucid
16:06 hi chrowe
16:06 are there some other actions done?
16:08 hmm
16:08 hopes _bernie will be here soon :P
16:08 #topic agenda
16:08 #info * schooltool and sugar
16:08 #info * jabber.sl.o is down
16:08 #info * ex wikipedia servers
16:08 #info * google adwords for sugarlabs
16:08 #info * homework for all treehousers
16:08 #info * access fairy
16:08 #info * discussion onesocialweb for sugar
16:09 other topics to add?
16:09 #topic schooltool and sugar
16:09 #info schooltool is a tool for school administration
16:09 #link http://schooltool.sugarlabs.org
16:09 #info started including sugar and treehouse event into
16:09 #link http://schooltool.sugarlabs.org:60021/calendar
16:10 repleaceafill and me updated schooltool from karmic to lucid
16:10 it looks like the sugar skin of schooltool is not fixed ...
16:11 but i have big confidence in repleaceafill
16:12 since repleaceafill today is not here ... next topic :P
16:12 #topic jabber.sl.o is down
16:12 #info jabber.sugarlabs.org is managed by
16:12 #link http://www.solutiongrove.com
16:12 #info treehouse would like to offer monitoring service
16:12 #info same is for jabber2.sugarlabs.org
16:12 as _bernie already suggested over mail
16:13 daveb_sl sounds good. I gave bernie access to jabber.sl.o today.
16:13 dogi treehouse which includes the sugar infrastructure team
16:13 would like to help in maintaining jabber.sl.o
16:13 daveb_sl, cool :)
16:13 thx
16:14 my question is there a problem to for you to give all the infrastructure mamber access to this service?
16:14 +is
16:14 +it
16:15 daveb_sl i don't see any reason not to. it is a virtual machine hosted in vmware esx.
16:16 dogi fine :) then we will ask _bernie for ....
16:16 #action _bernie give silbe hhardy dogi access to jabber
16:17 #action install munin on jabberVM
16:17 #info http://sunjammer.sugarlabs.org/munin/index.html
16:18 daveb_sl, other question how difficult is it to setup a ejabberd which works for sugar?
16:18 is there a recipe?
16:18 daveb_sl i used the XS 0.5 (upgraded to 0.6)
16:18 and then I hacked up the config files to work on an external interface
16:18 dogi ohhh interesting
16:19 daveb_sl i am not sure its the recommended procedure, but overall my knowledge was limited, still is.
16:19 dogi daveb_sl, can you post a link for this?
16:19 daveb_sl it should be much simpler to just install ejabberd because I think the patches for sugar went upstream.
16:19 dogi hi satellit___
16:20 satellit___ hello
16:20 *listening
16:20 dogi satellit___, backlog http://me.etin.gs/treehouse/tr[…]0100525_1605.html
16:20 daveb_sl dogi: i probably posted to the list. I changed the startup scripts to not rely on "schoolserver"
16:20 satellit___ thanks
16:20 daveb_sl for example. otherwise you can't reboot. I'll try to put it all in one place.
16:21 dogi thx daveb_sl that would be great :)
16:22 #link http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Machine/jabber
16:22 daveb_sl ok i guess that's a good place for it.
16:22 dogi daveb_sl, it would fine to upgrade this wiki page for ...
16:23 +1
16:23 hi icarito
16:23 icarito hi dogi
16:23 dogi icarito, http://me.etin.gs/treehouse/tr[…]0100525_1605.html
16:25 daveb_sl, since i read here (wiki) other persons ... are they still active?
16:25 cassidy, Robot101
16:26 or is jabber.sugarlabs.org already an other virtual machine
16:26 daveb_sl it is on another machine
16:26 for a while now.
16:27 dogi good to know ... :)
16:27 how much ram does ejabberd need to run fluently?
16:28 hi jlew_xo hi CanoeBerry  .... http://me.etin.gs/treehouse/tr[…]0100525_1605.html
16:28 daveb_sl that is unknown. it seems to consume all available ram if you leave it running long enough.
16:29 at which time I need to reboot the server because ejabberd can't be restarted.
16:29 icarito dogi, in 2008 i ran a virtual server with 256mb ram and it ate all resources - maybe with a cron to restart it
16:30 daveb_sl i think we have 1g now.
16:30 dogi icarito, that is only a quickfix ... not a nice solution :P
16:31 thinks that here in #treehouse we have already some knowledge with unstable services ...
16:31 daveb_sl correct. i thought I put that in there on jabber.sl.o anyway we can review that.
16:31 icarito there are other jabber servers, pitty we need a non standard - except to my knowledge collabora team refactored our collaboration code
16:32 dogi unmadindu, was able to fix the memory issues on pootle
16:32 and I think we have to thank alsroot or dfaring for a stable aslo-web :)
16:33 daveb_sl yes, i think lack of erlang skill kept my from looking into it further.
16:33 alsroot dogi: all stable work did dfarning
16:33 dogi icarito, the problem is that for sugar a normal jabber server is not working ...
16:33 icarito dogi, yes, pity
16:34 dogi right now it has to be ejabberd ... this is the only for sugar enhanced jabber server
16:34 thx alsroot
16:35 thinks that munin will help to find the problem ... otherwise we can always use quickfixes :P
16:35 daveb_sl, do you have some statistics how many users are on jabber.sl.o?
16:36 daveb_sl right now?
16:36 89 registered users
16:36 dogi hui
16:36 satellit___ 18 Avitars here
16:37 daveb_sl 18 online
16:37 i have to purge the datbase every week or two
16:37 or it completely falls over
16:37 dogi hmm
16:37 satellit___ could you put a "lease" on registration?
16:37 dogi is that the reason why tomeu is working on jabber2?
16:38 satellit___, can u explain this more?
16:38 dhcp lease like?
16:38 satellit___ like a IP lease...fixed period and it disappears
16:39 daveb_sl satellit___: not without a huge amount of work
16:39 also this only works for the public server
16:39 satellit___ : )
16:39 daveb_sl for a schoolserver its not a good idea
16:39 dogi daveb_sl, +1
16:40 daveb_sl so its a quick fix until we can track down the root cause.
16:41 satellit___ * an indication of looming lockup is long delay on seeing avitars (from users point of view)
16:42 dogi reboot of VM because of memory and database dumb cause of too much randon users ...
16:42 daveb_sl, are there other issues?
16:42 s/randon/random/
16:43 satellit___, ?
16:43 daveb_sl that's the main issues we have seen.
16:43 dogi looming?
16:43 daveb_sl, thx
16:44 satellit___ * if each soas did not need to be logged in to do  anything, ie: checkbox to log on to jabber or fallback to local would save many users being added
16:44 dogi #action daveb_sl update http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Machine/jabber
16:45 daveb_sl satellit___: it should support hundreds of simultaneous users and thousands registered on this type of configuration.
16:45 satellit___ * fix at soas vs jabber or both
16:45 dogi satellit___, good point but maybe we want this test case with many users ...
16:45 satellit___ ok
16:46 daveb_sl we want to take what we learn so that deployments can configure ejabberd also. I guess we should find out if anyone is using it successfully and learn frm them also.
16:47 dogi satellit___, daveb_sl ... treehousers other question/infos regarding jabber.sl.o
16:47 satellit___ * trigger jabber log on on hitting share button on application?
16:47 dogi satellit___, please explain :)
16:48 satellit___ maybe only trigger jabber log on when user hits share wheel on spplication
16:48 s/application
16:49 dogi satellit___, do you want access to jabber.sl.o too ... think that would help :)
16:49 satellit___ I am a user and tester. I would not know what to do....
16:49 dogi satellit___, :)
16:50 right now has not access there ...
16:51 daveb_sl, what i remember ... ejabberd is producing log files ...
16:51 daveb_sl yes.
16:51 dogi is there something like this there?
16:53 satellit___, this looks all too much for the first steps
16:53 jlew_xo from my experience with the jabber server the shaired roster group the xo's use to determine online need to have registered users? so to show up to other people youneed to be logged in so  i dont think holding off the registration would work
16:53 satellit___ ok
16:54 jlew_xo thats my 2 cents... not an expert, barely even touhed it but that is what i understand about the ejabberd
16:54 daveb_sl jlew_xo: that's correct.
16:54 dogi jlew_xo, +1
16:55 would move further discussion to the next meeting ...
16:55 is that ok? satellit___ daveb_sl jlew_xo ?
16:55 satellit___ +1
16:56 daveb_sl +1
16:56 jlew_xo fine by me
16:56 dogi #topic ex wikipedia servers
16:56 #info RIT has 3 of the 12 exwikipedia servers
16:56 #link http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/M[…]iscovery_One/Node
16:56 #info 3 of the 12 are in boston
16:56 #action dogi move the boston exwikipediaserver to MIT
16:57 #action dfarning install puppet aslo on them
16:57 #info the last 6 are in Washington DC
16:57 so I reinstalled the 3 boston servers with lucid
16:58 and I hope I can move them in this week to MIT
16:59 jlew_xo, are there any updates from RIT?
16:59 jlew_xo dogi dont think so, this week and next week i am off from rit
17:00 dogi good to  know :) holiday?
17:00 jlew_xo i know that some of the departments should be moving servbers around
17:00 so we should be getting thoes servers in a place sometime soon
17:00 dogi thx :)
17:00 lfaraone, any news from DC?
17:01 jlew_xo but i dont have any idea about timeline at the moment, but when i get back ill try to make sure it gets done soon
17:01 dogi +1 jlew_xo
17:01 lfaraone dogi: I have heard nothing from Ivan.
17:01 dogi: How do you suggest I proceed?
17:02 dogi lfaraone, when i was in DC you said something about a hole rack ...
17:03 lfaraone dogi: yes, we have one. I cannot host it in my basement, exactly.
17:03 dogi :)
17:03 sure :P
17:04 lfaraone dogi: At the start of the school year it is possible that we may be able to co-lo at my school, or at the career center, but I suspect there will not be enough space. I can look into Obscure.org again.
17:04 dogi: Finally, I could move as many as I could to TWIX's co-lo facility, but I'm not sure if I'd also be able to host Ivan's box.
17:05 (there, that is. or, not without shuffling boxes around :) )
17:05 dogi lfaraone, am I right that 3 ex wikipedia server are working and at your home and we wait only for the rest of the pieces of ivans machine to move the servers to TWIX
17:06 lfaraone dogi: Last I checked, yes. I'll have to verify that this is still the case, but I suspect there have been no changes.
17:07 dogi cool then let s push on ivan ... and do them all together, ok?
17:07 alsroot, satellit___ other treehousers?
17:09 by the way what is missing for ?blacksun? (ivan s) server
17:09 lfaraone dogi: a more capacitous hard disk and some RAM.
17:09 dogi thinks I forgot the right name ...
17:09 lfaraone dogi: blackrock
17:10 dogi thx lfaraone
17:10 so right now you have no hard disk s
17:10 and no ram?
17:11 sdd drives?
17:11 like sunjammer has ...
17:11 lfaraone dogi: some hard disk, and some ram. both are lower capacity than required by the owner.
17:12 dogi ahh so there is the sugarlabs part missing
17:13 thought that ivan wants to do this alone ...
17:13 _bernie, please  ...
17:13 lfaraone dogi: huh? yes, he said he'd order said parts himself, a fair time ago.
17:14 dogi +1 that was my last state too
17:14 lfaraone, will jump to the next topic, ok?
17:15 lfaraone dogi: fine.
17:15 dogi #topic google adwords for sugarlabs
17:15 #info since more then 60% of the aslo user are coming over search engines
17:15 #info we have to look into seo optimisations ala adwords
17:15 #link https://adwords.google.com
17:15 #info dogi applied for google (adword-)grants for sugarlabs
17:16 got first confirmations ... this is still not finished ... more hopefully next week
17:17 #topic homework for every treehouser
17:17 #info "Solve an action per week"
17:17 #info is the main ritual in #treehouse channel
17:17 #action treehouser since an vote on an idea is equivalent to an action ... please vote
17:17 #info please vote 2 ideas last week ...
17:17 #link http://idea.sugarlabs.org/drup[…]atorrent/idea/37/
17:17 #link http://idea.sugarlabs.org/drup[…]atorrent/idea/36/
17:18 don t forget to vote ... this both ideas have to do with services ...
17:19 think we are arrived to the end of the meeting
17:20 #endmeeting

Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster