Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-newbies, 2016-08-03

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
11:14 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-newbies
16:50 iamutkarshtiwari <iamutkarshtiwari!0e8bee62@gateway/web/cgi-irc/kiwiirc.com/ip.14.139.238.98> has joined #sugar-newbies
17:00 tony37 <tony37!~tony@tmo-104-86.customers.d1-online.com> has joined #sugar-newbies
17:01 tony37 hello
17:03 iamutkarshtiwari hello
17:04 tony37 hello
17:04 iamutkarshtiwari #startmeeting
17:04 meeting Meeting started Wed Aug  3 17:04:23 2016 UTC. The chair is iamutkarshtiwari. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:04 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
17:04 iamutkarshtiwari tony37: How are you?
17:04 tony37 Fine and you?
17:05 iamutkarshtiwari I am good.
17:05 tony37 topic?
17:05 iamutkarshtiwari Had been waiting for you a long time. :P
17:05 #GetBooks
17:05 tony37 Last week I was meeting with friends and really had no online time
17:05 iamutkarshtiwari It's ok. How was you get together?
17:05 your*
17:06 tony37 Went vert well - the week passed very quickly
17:06 iamutkarshtiwari Good things pass quickly. Bad things seem to last a decade. ~ Theory of relativity.
17:07 tony37 +1
17:07 iamutkarshtiwari Did you see those gifs I mailed?
17:07 tony37 No, I will try to run the bundle on my XO tomorrow
17:08 iamutkarshtiwari I made some modifications to the 'index.html' file. I removed some php scripts from it as was not needed.
17:08 I have specified everything in my latest mail.
17:08 tony37 I saw it
17:09 iamutkarshtiwari has quit IRC
17:09 iamutkarshtiwari <iamutkarshtiwari!0e8bee62@gateway/web/cgi-irc/kiwiirc.com/ip.14.139.238.98> has joined #sugar-newbies
17:10 iamutkarshtiwari Hello
17:10 tony37 Hello
17:10 iamutkarshtiwari Sorry the internet got disconnected.
17:10 tony37 No problem
17:10 iamutkarshtiwari http://imgur.com/a/833K9
17:10 http://imgur.com/a/b7vtc
17:11 tony37 ?
17:11 iamutkarshtiwari Those ^ were the gifs I sent.
17:11 tony37 ok
17:11 iamutkarshtiwari Have a look at them.
17:13 tony37 Look fine.
17:13 iamutkarshtiwari You need to be careful with just one thing.
17:14 *while testing*
17:14 I have remove the php scripts from the index.html of 'en-ck12' collection.
17:14 removed*
17:15 tony37 sounds reasonable - the client side doesn't run php
17:15 iamutkarshtiwari I'll also send you a copy of my 'index.html' for 'en-ck12' in case you run into any issues with your index.html file.
17:15 Yesterday I had some discussion with Mr. Silva regarding the same.
17:16 He suggested me to use OPDS standard for fetching the book collections from school servers.
17:16 tony37 Why?
17:17 iamutkarshtiwari Because I have devised my own technique of fetching the bookslist/books using 'BeautifulSoup' and it's collection specific. i.e. for Rachel and Gutenberg
17:17 tony37 and?
17:17 iamutkarshtiwari But as I found out in OLE Nepal that they sue
17:17 use*
17:18 simple urls to access the data from servers like what they do with E-Pustakalay
17:18 tony37 yes
17:18 iamutkarshtiwari Mr. Silva said that my technique needs to be
17:19 generalized so that it works with all type of collections and should not be collection specific.
17:19 I'll send you the logs of yesterday meeting.
17:19 tony37 In my experience, opds is a librarian's system of metadata corresponding to a catalog card. Very often the school server collections do not have this metadata available.
17:20 I assume you used sugar-newbies so the logs are online.
17:20 iamutkarshtiwari yes.
17:20 Yes*
17:20 He also put forward a valid point.
17:21 tony37 ?
17:21 iamutkarshtiwari The deployers are either not experienced or busy.
17:21 tony37 Yes. The mechanism needs to be simple.
17:21 iamutkarshtiwari It might be hectic for them to enter the details of new books into the index.html files
17:22 Like entering the 'hrefs' and 'name' between tags for each books and their author names, publisher name. etc
17:22 tony37 Currently, the school server content is loaded from a hard disk both by XSCE and by BERNIE. The actual deployers only decide which collections they want to support.
17:23 iamutkarshtiwari Oh..
17:23 I have created my techinique specific to 'Gutenberg' and 'Rachel' collection.
17:24 tony37 What I would expect is a bash script to set up the GetBooks config for each installed collection.
17:24 iamutkarshtiwari Since their index.html files schemas are different.
17:24 tony37 That is what I spend most of my time working with.
17:24 iamutkarshtiwari How many type of collections exist all over?
17:25 As for now, I have only worked with only 2 types  - Gutenberg and 'Rachel'
17:25 tony37 Unknown. However, each collection has to be identified and prepared for installation on the school server.
17:25 That is great1
17:25 great!*
17:25 iamutkarshtiwari Please note-
17:26 The techniques with I implemented for 'Rachel' and 'Gutenberg' might not work for other collections since their index.html schmas might be different.
17:26 which*
17:26 tony37 Exactly. You noticed the same situation for the online collections
17:27 iamutkarshtiwari For online- GetBooks uses OPDS standard. which is generalized for all types ?
17:27 It's not collection specific, is it?
17:28 tony37 No, it is useful for some collections but as you can see from gutenberg and Rachel, not all.
17:28 iamutkarshtiwari We need to discuss about InfoSlicer as well. but before that shall I explain you the procedure of testing the .xo bundle I had sent you ?
17:29 tony37 Yes
17:30 iamutkarshtiwari You need to setup a localhost on your laptop. Let's assume you have a folder by the name - 'server' and it's url it's path is -  ~/server/
17:30 You need to put the two collections -
17:30 en-ck12/ & en-books/ folders inside the  ~/server/ folder
17:31 Make sure that both the collections folder have their specific 'index.html' files inside them alongwith their .pdf files and folders which come alongwith them.
17:32 tony37 Remember, this is what you had to do to test without a school server. What I will need to do is to modify the GetBooks to access the collections by http:
17:33 iamutkarshtiwari There are more steps...
17:33 May I ?
17:33 tony37 Go!
17:34 iamutkarshtiwari - You need to modify the 'en-ck12' collection's index.html to replaceAll - "<?php echo $dir ?>/" string with "" ( a blank) meaning you are removing all the php scripts from the index.html
17:34 tony37 Yes
17:35 iamutkarshtiwari - You need to modify the 'en-ck12' collections' index.html to add an additional attribute which goes by the name - (books="4")
17:36 where 4 is the number of books in that specific category.
17:36 tony37 Ok - that should be possible to do automagically
17:36 iamutkarshtiwari To simplify your task - I'll send you the modified
17:37 index.html files . All you need to do is just replace yours with mine.
17:37 yes. I'll need to figure that out.
17:37 More steps -
17:37 tony37 Ok - but I will try to see what is needed to make it work with the school server.
17:37 iamutkarshtiwari *Please let me know if you find any doubts*
17:37 tony37 Go!
17:38 iamutkarshtiwari - Assuming that you have properly placed the both the collections folders inside "~/server/"
17:38 You need to "cd ~/server/"
17:38 tony37 Yes
17:38 iamutkarshtiwari then "python -m StartHTTPServer"
17:39 tony37 OK - that won't be needed if the user is connected to the schoolserver.
17:39 iamutkarshtiwari This should start a localhost plain server with url somewhat like this - "https://127.0.0.1:8000"
17:39 Yes. This is just to test on our end.
17:39 tony37 The school server url would be http://schoolserver/something
17:40 iamutkarshtiwari For the schoolserver, deployers need to modify the 'get-books.cfg' to put the collections urls properly.
17:40 Yes.
17:41 tony37 I think we should use 'packager' for the person who sets up the collection for installation - the deployer chooses to install the collection or not.
17:41 iamutkarshtiwari Please note - Please have a look at my 'get-books.cfg' file I had sent. You need to see how I have placed the collections url inside them. You need to do the same accordingly.
17:41 tony37 Yes
17:41 iamutkarshtiwari What's that?
17:41 *packager*
17:42 tony37 I'll let you know how I set it up for the school server.
17:42 iamutkarshtiwari Sure.
17:42 More steps-
17:42 tony37 A person who prepares the collection for installation on the schoolserver. The deployer does the install but doesn't have to know about any of this.
17:42 iamutkarshtiwari You then need to turn on your XO and check whether you are able to access the 'server' folder inside 'Browse' activity.
17:43 Agree
17:43 tony37 In this case: http://localhost:8000/something
17:43 iamutkarshtiwari You need to connect your XO with you laptop via wifi (hotspot)
17:44 tony37 Why? If I am using localhost
17:44 iamutkarshtiwari Yes- http://127.0.0.1:8000/server/
17:44 Oh... Will you be making localhost on your XO ?
17:44 or on you PC?
17:44 tony37 I may for testing, but my goal is to use direct urls to the schoolserver
17:45 Essentially, localhost stands in for the server and runs on the client - be it XO or standard laptop
17:45 iamutkarshtiwari Yes. You will have to setup the localhost on a PC and try to access it via your XO
17:45 Since you will be placing the collections (which are more than 4Gb) and such space is not available on XO
17:45 tony37 OK
17:46 Agreed. The collections will be on the schoolserver
17:46 iamutkarshtiwari For that you need to place all the collections as I mentioned on your PC and start the localhost.
17:46 You'll then have to connect your XO via wifi with our PC and
17:47 test whether you are able to access that url inside "Browse' activity.
17:47 tony37 OK. There are some components like kiwix and khan academy that do that.
17:47 iamutkarshtiwari If yes! Then you are good to go.
17:47 I haven't tried them.
17:47 tony37 Essentially the url is http://schoolserver:8000/something
17:48 iamutkarshtiwari Do you have a schoolserver at your disposal?
17:49 tony37 Good question! I left my working one in Stuttgart for Rudolf Simon to use for tests. I am building one now and should have it ready by Friday.
17:49 iamutkarshtiwari Oh.. :( Then I am afraid you will have to following my technique for testing the .xo bundle.
17:49 It's not that difficult if you do it carefully.
17:50 tony37 Ok - I think I can find a way.
17:50 iamutkarshtiwari All you need is a PC and you XO.
17:50 Great!
17:50 tony37 #infoslicer
17:50 iamutkarshtiwari I'll send you the index.html file for 'en-ck12' collections. Pleaes do have a look at it and do the modifications to yours accordingly.
17:50 #InfoSlicer
17:50 Yes!
17:50 tony37 Good!
17:51 iamutkarshtiwari I couldn't read your mails today properly.
17:51 tony37 I would like to have this available for the Wikimedia conference 9/15-17
17:51 16-18*
17:51 iamutkarshtiwari yes. I am equally excited about this project.!
17:52 tony37 What was the email problem?
17:52 iamutkarshtiwari There was no problem.
17:52 tony37 Ok
17:52 iamutkarshtiwari It's just I haven't gone through them yet. Been busy with some other work.
17:53 Sorry for that.
17:53 tony37 No problem
17:53 iamutkarshtiwari Will they invite me for the conference? :P
17:54 tony37 The conference is in Stuttgart Germany and will be mostly in German. However, Rudolf plans to show the school server and give demos.
17:54 iamutkarshtiwari Oh..
17:55 So he would be demonstrating my work?
17:56 tony37 Yes
17:56 iamutkarshtiwari Ok
17:56 tony37 This would be the InfoSlicer since these are editors of the German Wikipedia
17:57 iamutkarshtiwari What would be the size of the wikipedia content that I'll have to download for testing purpose ?
17:57 tony37 We want to show that users of the school server can download specific articles from the Wikipedia to read when away from the school server.
17:57 Just use Wikipedia for Schools. If it works for that, it will work for the others.
17:58 iamutkarshtiwari What changes do I need to make to the UI and backend ?
17:58 tony37 That's your task.
17:59 It should be similar to GetBooks.
17:59 iamutkarshtiwari Having downloaded the offline wikipedia content and running it on the localhost,
17:59 there should be an option to choose between "internet' and 'school server'
17:59 Should the user choose 'school server'
18:00 tony37 You will need the Kiwix server on the localhost side
18:00 iamutkarshtiwari InfoSlicer should then search and fetch content from the offline wikipedia content as to what it does when online.
18:00 Am I right?
18:00 tony37 The user chooses by his choice of url
18:00 iamutkarshtiwari where are these urls placed?
18:01 tony37 The difference is kiwix. The online user goes to wikipedia via mediawiki. The school server has an offline copy in the zim format served by kiwix
18:03 iamutkarshtiwari I'll download kiwix and set it up on my PC. Could you please provide me with the links to 'kiwix' and 'wikipedia offlince content' ?
18:03 tony37 I did by the emails I sent you.
18:05 iamutkarshtiwari I'll check them today.
18:05 I'll send you my copy of 'index.html' and 'get-books.cfg' files.
18:06 tony37 In the end you should get a downloaded html file corresponding to a selected artcle.
18:06 Good
18:06 iamutkarshtiwari Use them while testing.
18:06 tony37 Yes
18:06 article*
18:06 iamutkarshtiwari Got it ;)
18:07 I wish I could have been there at the conference during the demo of 'InfoSlicer offline version
18:07 I hope it goes well.
18:07 tony37 Let me know by email when you want another IRC meeting. I am leaving here on Sunday so that day won't work.
18:08 iamutkarshtiwari Will try to finish before 10th of this month.
18:08 Final evaluation is starting on 15th.
18:08 Let's do a cross-check..
18:08 #SaveAs
18:09 #ScreenshotPopUp
18:09 tony37 First, get it working! Then we can demo. Don't worry about the evaluation - any delays have been caused by your mentors.
18:09 Ok Go
18:09 iamutkarshtiwari #JSFiddle
18:09 #GetBooks
18:09 #ResumeActivityGsettings
18:09 #Infoslicer ~ Under Progress
18:10 tony37 Impressive!
18:10 iamutkarshtiwari Among the first 5 ~ We need to modify the UI of the #ScreenshotPopUp
18:10 As suggested by Sam
18:10 tony37 Which is ?
18:10 iamutkarshtiwari I'll do it after between 10-12th
18:10 tony37 What is the proposed modification?
18:11 iamutkarshtiwari He asked me to modify the appeaernece of the popup. Let me show you.
18:11 tony37 Please!
18:11 iamutkarshtiwari https://github.com/sugarlabs/s[…]comment-226890680
18:12 tony37 This shows the screenshot feature
18:12 iamutkarshtiwari this shoudn't take more than 2 days.
18:13 Yes.
18:13 Yes*
18:14 tony37 I don't understand the change. It looks like a switch of the screen away from the activity for which the screenshot was taken.
18:14 iamutkarshtiwari *I am used to putting periods at the end of the sentences* :D
18:14 tony37 Periods always work except with teachers.
18:14 iamutkarshtiwari Agree
18:15 tony37 Why are we looking at the screenshot?
18:15 iamutkarshtiwari It's one of out proposed Gsoc features ?
18:15 our*
18:15 Isn't it?
18:16 tony37 You have a PR. I don't understand the proposed change at all. It was working well.
18:17 iamutkarshtiwari Yes. All Sam wants is a little change in the UI.
18:17 Sorry.. *the appearence*
18:17 tony37 What is the change?
18:17 iamutkarshtiwari That I should move the 'preview thumbnail' below and 'text entry' above it.
18:17 along with the label.
18:18 tony37 The user still supplies a title
18:19 It is customary in Sugar to provide the thumbnail to the left of the text (in this case the entry for the title to be supplied)
18:19 iamutkarshtiwari It's just his suggestion.
18:20 He is the one that would be merging that PR.
18:20 tony37 I would make it very low priority. The change is working and has been accepted.
18:20 iamutkarshtiwari If he isn't satisfied, we cant' force him to merge it.
18:20 tony37 I assume he has already merged the change.
18:20 iamutkarshtiwari The PR is still unmerged.
18:20 tony37 If he holds back on this, he will hold back on the save as merge as well.
18:21 iamutkarshtiwari He had merged the 'Download Icon' PR.
18:21 Yes, I guess  :D
18:21 tony37 Which, as you know I have a problem with.
18:21 iamutkarshtiwari Agree
18:21 tony37 The download should either replace the existing download progress alert or be merged with it.
18:22 iamutkarshtiwari Nevermind. The current PR looks good, we will discuss this out with the community.
18:22 #SaveAs
18:22 tony37 Yes
18:22 iamutkarshtiwari It's working perfectly AFAIK
18:22 What is your opinion on this?
18:22 tony37 AFAIK as well
18:23 iamutkarshtiwari All we need to do is convince the community and Sam.
18:23 tony37 As you know my only concern was the wording of the prompt and what would be shown in the entry
18:23 iamutkarshtiwari Than can be changed according as you command.
18:23 accordingly*
18:24 tony37 No command. I don't know what is the best way to indicate to the user that in one case, he must provide a title and in the second case he may provide a title or keep the current one.
18:24 It may be best to provide training (e.g. gif animation) and not worry about it.
18:24 iamutkarshtiwari We discuss the wordings with community.
18:25 tony37 In the meantime, you have a PR and it works so no change is needed.
18:25 iamutkarshtiwari As you say.
18:25 #ResumeGsettings
18:26 Merged!
18:26 As small but effective change.
18:26 A*
18:26 tony37 I am amazed. It is not small for the user. I rejoice every day I use my XO-1.75 that I don't have to deal with resume.
18:26 iamutkarshtiwari Thank you :)
18:27 tony37 You are very welcome.
18:27 iamutkarshtiwari #JSFiddle
18:27 tony37 Yes, go
18:27 iamutkarshtiwari We have the version 16
18:27 tony37 Yes
18:27 iamutkarshtiwari Everything works fine except the 'JS' prettification.
18:27 tony37 What doesn't work there
18:27 iamutkarshtiwari As we do not have BS4 or html5print pre-installed in Sugar
18:28 'JS' can't be prettified with BeautifulSoup.
18:28 tony37 You have BeautifulSoup installed in Sugar at present. If they decide to upgrade to BS4, a small change to Browse.
18:28 Why?
18:28 iamutkarshtiwari If Sugar gets upgraded with BS4, our JSFiddle will work better.
18:29 tony37 Agreed. Better is different from working and not working
18:29 iamutkarshtiwari Everything is working perfectly AFAIK except the JS prettification.
18:29 tony37 What is not working in the prettification?
18:30 iamutkarshtiwari 'Html'  and CSS prettification is working fine
18:31 tony37 Ok
18:31 iamutkarshtiwari For CSS I used a 'Css prettification' script which is included in the XO bundly
18:31 bundle (version 16)
18:31 tony37 Why did you need it?
18:31 iamutkarshtiwari 'Html' is prettified using BeautifulSoup
18:32 For now, JS prettification is not possible.
18:32 tony37 As I remember you tried to prettify the text displayed on the screen. That is unnecessary.
18:32 The only time you need it is when the user's html, css, and js is saved to the Journal. You can assume the user formattted his text as he chose on the input side.
18:33 iamutkarshtiwari But the user code which gets written to the index.html file is beautified using BS.
18:33 tony37 You also need it for the show source.
18:33 Yes
18:33 iamutkarshtiwari BS only beautifies the 'html'  part. I doubt if it works for 'css' and 'js' scripts included in the index.html file.
18:34 tony37 It does by adding line feeds to keep lines from being too long.
18:35 iamutkarshtiwari Yes. It does.
18:35 tony37 Essentially, the saved index.html should be formatted exactly as the 'view source' on the screen.
18:35 iamutkarshtiwari If BS4 gets included inside sugar. Prettification would just be a cup of tea for us.
18:35 tony37 Yes - we should propose that upgrade.
18:36 iamutkarshtiwari BS4 has everything we need. It prettifies everyting html/css/js
18:36 Yes. How shall we do it?
18:37 tony37 Send an email to Sam via sugar_devel requesting that 0.110 replace BeautifulSoup with bs4.
18:37 iamutkarshtiwari +!
18:37 +1
18:37 Will do it by tonight.
18:37 #GetBooks
18:37 tony37 These folks seem very intent on avoiding 'deprecated' code.
18:37 About GetBooks?
18:38 iamutkarshtiwari "These folks seem very intent on avoiding 'deprecated' code. "  I didn't get you?
18:40 tony37: Are you there?
18:40 Oh.. I got you.
18:41 ;)
18:41 tony37 Yes, back
18:41 iamutkarshtiwari #GetBooks
18:41 You need to test it and share your feedbacks.
18:41 tony37 On another note. Manash says he will upgrade remote journal with sftp. However, I am not sure what progress is being made.
18:42 yes I will test GetBooks
18:42 iamutkarshtiwari replace your 'index.html' file with mine in 'en-ck12' collection.
18:42 tony37 Ok
18:42 iamutkarshtiwari and you need to go through my 'get-books.cfg' to see you it reads the localhost's urls.
18:42 tony37 yes
18:42 iamutkarshtiwari You need to make changes accordingly.
18:43 #InfoSlicer
18:43 tony37 Go!
18:43 iamutkarshtiwari Time for me to get back to work :P
18:43 See you soon.
18:43 Will let you know of our next meeting via mail.
18:43 tony37 Bye!
18:43 iamutkarshtiwari Bye.
18:43 #endmeeting
18:43 meeting Meeting ended Wed Aug  3 18:43:57 2016 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
18:43 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-03T17:04:23.html
18:44 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]16-08-03T17:04:23
18:44 tony37 has quit IRC
18:44 iamutkarshtiwari has left #sugar-newbies

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster