Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-newbies, 2016-06-27

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
11:01 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-newbies
13:19 tony37 <tony37!~tony@194.152.247.2> has joined #sugar-newbies
13:19 tony37 Hello
13:21 Hello
13:26 hello
13:29 tony37 has quit IRC
13:30 tony37 <tony37!~tony@194.152.247.2> has joined #sugar-newbies
13:30 tony37 Hello
13:33 tony37_ <tony37_!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-newbies
13:34 tony37_ has left #sugar-newbies
13:35 tony37 has quit IRC
13:35 tony37 <tony37!~tony@194.152.247.2> has joined #sugar-newbies
13:37 tony37 Hello
13:37 tony37 has quit IRC
13:38 tony37 <tony37!~tony@194.152.247.2> has joined #sugar-newbies
13:41 tony37 Hello
13:45 Hello
14:33 tony37 has quit IRC
14:54 iamutkarshtiwari <iamutkarshtiwari!0e8bee62@gateway/web/freenode/session> has joined #sugar-newbies
14:55 iamutkarshtiwari <iamutkarshtiwari!0e8bee62@gateway/web/freenode/ip.14.139.238.98> has joined #sugar-newbies
15:02 tony37 <tony37!~tony@194.152.247.2> has joined #sugar-newbies
15:02 tony37 hello
15:02 iamutkarshtiwari Hello
15:02 #startmeeting
15:02 meeting Meeting started Mon Jun 27 15:02:49 2016 UTC. The chair is iamutkarshtiwari. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:02 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
15:03 iamutkarshtiwari I have developed the almost all the options.
15:03 All I am left with is to write the 'overwrite' option.
15:04 tony37 You are cloning the 'resumed' handle?
15:04 iamutkarshtiwari Yes.
15:04 I want to share with you the activity.py file.
15:04 I am resisting :P
15:04 tony37 Go
15:04 iamutkarshtiwari Until I test for all the options properly
15:05 But almost all the options are working as expected.
15:05 tony37 Yes - I think the easy way will be to save (or not) the current object and then delete the original handle.
15:06 iamutkarshtiwari Yes. But there is one problem.
15:06 tony37 Go
15:06 iamutkarshtiwari I might need to create extra  objects apart from the active one.
15:06 2 extra objects*
15:07 tony37 You should only need a new object with a copy of the metadata and document from the original handle. You need to save the original handle.
15:07 iamutkarshtiwari for swapping the two ( the new and the original ) In  case of 'save as'
15:07 I am close to fixing it.
15:08 tony37 There is no swap. If the user wants to save - then you save and delete the original handle. If the user changes the name, you save and leave the original handle.
15:09 iamutkarshtiwari Oh...wow.. You just gave me a nice idea! ;)
15:09 tony37 Trying to help!
15:09 iamutkarshtiwari Any progress with the toggle ?
15:10 I think you are right. The toggle button shouldn't appear inside the iframe since it's meant to display user's code oupput.
15:10 tony37 Yes - I sent you an email. What I trying to do now is set up the iframe including the toggle. But put the toggle in a separate div. This is working, but I need to move the border so it only surrounds the user's html output or the console output.
15:10 iamutkarshtiwari Kids might get confused*
15:11 Waht a coincedence! I got this idea^ this morning
15:11 coincidence*
15:11 :D
15:11 tony37 Fortunately, that will be invisible to them. Richa set it up so there is one text for the 'run' case and a different one for the 'save' case - that one doesn't have the iframe
15:12 iamutkarshtiwari oh.. quite smart on her part.
15:12 tony37 She did a lot of clever things.
15:12 Just not enough time to complete the project
15:12 iamutkarshtiwari Isn't there any way we could integrate 'html5print' in the sugar ?
15:13 It's a very nice and useful API.
15:14 tony37 Yes - the developer's are pretty careful what they add to Sugar (sometimes) because of the small storage on the XO-1 (1GB). Nevertheless, they have two copies of sugar (sugar and sugar3) - go figure
15:14 For Fiddler, BeautifulSoup seems to do well for the view source and the save cases.
15:16 iamutkarshtiwari #Resume
15:16 tony37 Go
15:16 iamutkarshtiwari We couldn't discuss much about it yesterday.
15:16 tony37 Yes, did you get the names of the two modules involved?
15:16 iamutkarshtiwari I am currently focusing on finishing 'save as first'
15:16 will finish it in 2 days.
15:17 yes.
15:17 homeview.py
15:17 sorry I forgot. :P
15:17 confusedd*
15:18 tony37 and favoritesview.py - both in jarabe/desktop
15:18 iamutkarshtiwari Yes!
15:18 I need to mofify the home view to start  new instance for every click?
15:18 modify*
15:19 tony37 The trick is that the 'alt' key is used to switch between modes. This switches a boolean. So setting up a configure option (gsetting) to set the default value is what is needed.
15:20 The homeview.py module sets the default. The favoritesview module executes the resume or star new based on the setting.
15:21 iamutkarshtiwari But the favouriteview doesn't show any changes in the home view?
15:21 tony37 Currently, I can do this by changes only to homeview but there is still one default missing so I have to hit alt once to get it set right
15:21 We are talking python modules - the programmers can put code where they like.
15:23 If the mode is to start new, the homeview doesn't color the icons (which I find helpful with many of the color combinations).
15:23 The idea of the coloring was to show which activites had a resume possibility.
15:23 iamutkarshtiwari So we need to remove the 'coloring' feature?
15:24 facility*
15:24 and set the homeview to
15:24 by default start  every activity
15:24 as a new instance ?
15:24 tony37 It is based on the mode. If you are in the 'start new' mode, the coloring is not applied. So there is nothing you need to do.
15:24 Yes, exactly.
15:24 iamutkarshtiwari Oh.. From where will the user change the mode?
15:25 tony37 Currently, I do it on all the machines for a deployment so there is one interface to learn. I think the setting should be changed as a configuration option with no need for it to be changed by the user (except by shell commands).
15:27 iamutkarshtiwari Which file will that setting ?
15:27 gsetting*
15:27 I get confused between gconf* and gsetting*
15:27 tony37 Sugar has or is moving to use gsetting. Prior to that it used gconf. Prior to that there was a configuration file.
15:28 You are lucky, I get confused among all three.
15:28 Somewhere, I think in /usr/share, there is a file will all the gsettings, as I remember.
15:29 iamutkarshtiwari Thanks
15:29 tony37 You may be able to override in /home/olpc/.rc something
15:29 iamutkarshtiwari I'll look into those modules to figure out how there interact.
15:30 #SaveAs
15:30 tony37 Always fun trying to read other folks code
15:30 Go
15:30 iamutkarshtiwari Yes.
15:30 In case if the user resumes an instance from Journal and doesn't change the title in the activity toolbar options.
15:31 On close shall we prompt him with an 'Woudl you like to overwrite?' alert?
15:31 tony37 Then he is 'enhancing' the document and so it should be treated as a normal save.
15:32 Most 'desktops' execute a save option without an alert - assuming the user knows to change the title to prevent an overwrite.
15:33 iamutkarshtiwari But on close they
15:33 prompt the user 'Would you like to save the changes?"
15:35 tony37 Yes. Perhaps you could always present the alert since kids may not remember to 'save as' instead of 'save'. This is an area where Sugar is pretty unusual, most of saves occur on quit, not by a menu action.
15:35 We used to have a 'keep' option which acted as a save - but it was removed a few years ago.
15:36 iamutkarshtiwari Here is what I have thought of for 'Save As'
15:37 If the activity is a new instance 'the alert would be a pop up with a 'save' option and a 'discard' option'
15:37 tony37 unless the user has already set a new title in the activity toolbar - then just save with no alert
15:38 iamutkarshtiwari if the activity is resume the popup would say 'Would you like to overwrite the instance ?  options - 1) Overwrite 2) Save As
15:38 Yes. I have taken care of that.
15:39 tony37 That is the option - but I think we need to work on the wording a little.
15:39 iamutkarshtiwari Ok.
15:39 #Meeting
15:39 tony37 You fortunately are using an alert which gives you room for text to the left.
15:39 iamutkarshtiwari I think we should have our meeting every 2-3 days rather than daily.
15:40 tony37 Agreed.
15:40 iamutkarshtiwari In case if we feel
15:40 that we need to discuss an agenda in detail  which is
15:40 not possible over mail.
15:40 We can schedule a meeting on that day.
15:40 tony37 Agreed
15:40 iamutkarshtiwari What do you suggest?
15:41 tony37 You send me an email if you want a meeting (and give me a time). I'll reply if I can make the meeting.
15:41 iamutkarshtiwari Done.
15:41 tony37 I see an email that you are planning to do something with opengl.
15:42 iamutkarshtiwari We are usually in touch via emails so it should be fine.
15:42 Yes. I am learning OpenGL.
15:42 tony37 It is also safer with erratic internet access.
15:42 iamutkarshtiwari So I am planning on writing a new activity this summer on PyOpenGL for Sugar.
15:42 tony37 Great! Sadly, some of the XOs are very limited in graphics capability (no gpu).
15:43 iamutkarshtiwari Which models do you think support such graphic intensive activities ?
15:44 tony37 The XO-1.75 and XO-4 are 'systems on a chip' with at least telephone level graphics (probably about 720p).
15:44 iamutkarshtiwari I won't be write too much graphics intensive activity. Just a simple 3D arcade game.
15:44 writing*
15:45 tony37 This will be very good experience - because you will have to monitor the performance of your code and learn to avoid cpu intensive techniques.
15:46 iamutkarshtiwari Yes! This time I also have an XO to test my code and bugs.
15:47 tony37 You might want to start with a side-scroller.
15:47 3D graphics tends to be compute intensive
15:48 iamutkarshtiwari I have already written 6 activities
15:48 tony37 Using openGL?
15:48 iamutkarshtiwari mostly verticall scroller.
15:48 No.
15:48 Pygame.
15:49 I want to be a game developer. (Will apply at Ubisoft Montreal after I have gained enough game developing skills).
15:49 That's why I love to write games ;)
15:49 tony37 That's where the money is
15:50 iamutkarshtiwari Yes. But there is too much of game piracy because of which game companies don't earn as much profits as they should.
15:51 Few days back I got an idea to stop software piracy . (Will work on it after getting into the game industry).
15:51 tony37 That is what the cloud is for.
15:52 iamutkarshtiwari yes. But still people find ways to pirate softwares, especially games :D
15:53 tony37 Where there is a will there is a way. Anyway, game time is approaching. Let me know when you want to meet again. Bye
15:53 tony37 has quit IRC
15:53 iamutkarshtiwari Bye
15:53 #endmeeting
15:53 meeting Meeting ended Mon Jun 27 15:53:30 2016 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
15:53 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-27T15:02:49.html
15:53 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]16-06-27T15:02:49
15:53 iamutkarshtiwari has quit IRC

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster