Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-newbies, 2016-06-23

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
10:51 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-newbies
14:24 tony37 <tony37!~tony@194.152.247.2> has joined #sugar-newbies
14:25 tony37 Hello
14:29 tony_ <tony_!~tony@194.152.247.2> has joined #sugar-newbies
14:29 tony37 has quit IRC
14:31 tony_ hello
14:31 iamutkarshtiwari <iamutkarshtiwari!0e8bee62@gateway/web/freenode/ip.14.139.238.98> has joined #sugar-newbies
14:31 iamutkarshtiwari #startmeeting
14:31 meeting Meeting started Thu Jun 23 14:31:46 2016 UTC. The chair is iamutkarshtiwari. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:31 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
14:31 iamutkarshtiwari Hi
14:32 tony_: Hello
14:32 tony_ So pretty print of js is a problem
14:32 iamutkarshtiwari Yes
14:33 I looked for online libraries , but there are only 2
14:33 one is jsbeautifier
14:33 tony_ Did you succeed with the pythong routine for css?
14:33 python*
14:33 iamutkarshtiwari and the other is 'html5print' jsprint
14:33 Yes. I was able to pretty print css.
14:33 and HTML.
14:34 tony_ HTML with BeautifulSoup and CSS with your own code?
14:34 iamutkarshtiwari Yes.
14:34 CSS(not with my own) but I figured out a way ;)
14:34 tony_ Good - so let's table js for the moment
14:34 iamutkarshtiwari It took a long time :(
14:34 for me to figure that out. Almost my day.
14:34 tony_ Does it require html5print in the bundle?
14:35 iamutkarshtiwari CSS?
14:35 tony_ for css
14:36 iamutkarshtiwari nopes. There another library I found out.
14:36 is*
14:37 tony_ Sometimes modern programmers go through amazing hoops to avoid programming. I used to do the same.
14:37 iamutkarshtiwari :D
14:38 tony_ So you have succeeded in installing html5print in the bundle so that it can be zipped as an xo and installed on your xo-1.75 for example
14:38 iamutkarshtiwari I wish, html5print could work, it made work a  lot easier and the
14:38 code looked much prettier.
14:38 No
14:39 html5print requires around 20 imports, which are not already available in the bundle
14:39 (it installs it online)
14:39 tony_ So the current plan is to use BeautifulSoup for html, this new package for css and forget about prettifying js for the moment.
14:39 iamutkarshtiwari I am not using 'html5print' .
14:40 Not forget. But we can look into it later.
14:40 We have other features to look after as well.
14:40 tony_ Maybe defer is a better word
14:40 Did you succeed in toggling?
14:40 iamutkarshtiwari Yes.
14:40 tony_ Great!
14:41 iamutkarshtiwari I am still working on it.
14:41 'pretty' printing took a lot of time.
14:41 tony_ What is the status?
14:42 iamutkarshtiwari I need to reformat Ms. Sehgal's code to insert the code you shared.
14:42 tony_ How do you mean reformat?
14:42 iamutkarshtiwari She designed the webconsole.html
14:43 tony_ Yes
14:43 iamutkarshtiwari to generate the webpage
14:43 dynamically using javascript and jquery
14:43 Means- It creates the view in the iframe - after pressing 'run'
14:43 tony_ You are not familiar with jquery
14:44 iamutkarshtiwari So a new html file is created with the integrated 'boiler plate'
14:44 Not much.
14:44 tony_ It is a great tool
14:45 iamutkarshtiwari I couldn't share with you my previous technique of toggling the console
14:45 because the version 14 didn't run succesffuly on your end.
14:45 tony_ html5print problem
14:45 iamutkarshtiwari It wasn't bad either.
14:45 I will share with you the gif of that technique.
14:46 tony_ Can't you send a version 15
14:46 iamutkarshtiwari Coudl you give my 3 mins, to make that dif?
14:46 tony_ Ok
14:46 iamutkarshtiwari version 15 - with pretty html, css and console toggle (MY previous technique)
14:46 ?
14:48 tony_ Whatever is your high water mark to date.
14:49 iamutkarshtiwari http://i.imgur.com/FEzJlEs.png
14:50 This is my previous technique of console toggling ^
14:51 How is it?
14:53 tony_ It looks ok, I don't understand from the gif what you are doing with the toggle.
14:53 Is there a reason the toggle is inside the output: panel?
14:54 Is this your problem with iframe
14:56 iamutkarshtiwari Yes. Because the toggle button is  incluce inside the code generated (which is displayed in the #iframe after browser.execute_query() in python)
14:56 So it's easy(possible) to control the divs  from within
14:56 the iframe.
14:56 included*
14:56 tony_ But not outside?
14:57 iamutkarshtiwari Yes. That's the problem. It seems easy but it's way more complex.
14:57 I tried taking help
14:57 from some of my MWOS friends.
14:57 Even they found a hard time with it :(
14:58 tony_ Actually, I have a version 15 so the next one should be 16
14:58 iamutkarshtiwari I'll update you with the 'pretty css, html and console toggle-with my techinque).
14:58 Please note one thing-
14:58 tony_ She is generating html on the fly, a difficult technique because of the need to nest parentheseses
14:59 iamutkarshtiwari Yes.
14:59 As we knwo that BS is incapable
14:59 of prettifying a html with integrated JS and CSS scripts.
15:00 so we will be having the user's output .html file with prettified 'html'(with BS) and 'css'(with Css module I found on internet) scripts
15:00 but not prettified JS script.
15:00 tony_ Agreed
15:01 iamutkarshtiwari So shall I forward you the new version with all the ^ above mentioned features after the meeting?
15:01 tony_ Please, I am anxious to see where we are
15:02 iamutkarshtiwari Mr. Anderson.. please I am very eager on moving to our next features :(
15:02 tony_ Let's do it
15:02 iamutkarshtiwari Let's halt the #Fiddler progress till here.
15:02 We can polish it more later.
15:02 tony_ Ok until I have a chance to test to see where we are
15:03 OK - send me version 16 and let's move on to 'save as'
15:03 iamutkarshtiwari No, I mean that would like to finish the work with other features (We have devoted too much time to JSFiddler and I find it hard working on more than one projects simutaneously)
15:03 I would like*
15:04 I didn't make any progress with 'Save As' today. :(
15:05 Was involved with 'pretty' printing modules.
15:05 tony_ That is a skill you will need to develop.
15:05 iamutkarshtiwari I agree.
15:06 tony_ For example, there is no need for you to work on the fiddler feature until after I have tested it. So in the meantime you need to work on something else.
15:06 iamutkarshtiwari 'Save as'
15:07 After the meeting I will start with 'save as' and will update you with a working version of 'discard' feature
15:07 as we discussed.
15:07 tony_ OK. You told me you understand where you need to intervene in the sugar activity.py (and have not yet compared this with the sugar3 activity.py
15:07 what is the discard feature
15:08 iamutkarshtiwari sorry. the 'discard' option*
15:09 where the users saves the metadata but now the 'files'
15:09 not*
15:09 tony_ Do you have a test plan for 'save as'?
15:09 iamutkarshtiwari test plan?
15:10 oh.. I'll test it with all
15:10 the activities which use the activity.py in
15:10 'sugar-toolkit' (the deprecated one)
15:12 tony_ Which is 'no' on the alert?
15:12 hello
15:12 tony_ has quit IRC
15:12 iamutkarshtiwari Yes.
15:15 tony37 <tony37!~tony@194.152.247.2> has joined #sugar-newbies
15:15 tony37 hello
15:15 iamutkarshtiwari tony37: Hello
15:15 Your internet went down?
15:15 tony37 I lost connection and had to restart -sorry
15:16 iamutkarshtiwari :)
15:16 Yes it's 'no' on the alert'
15:16 tony37 The response time in many cases is measured in seconds and I think the ubuntu network manager gets confused. So I reboot.
15:16 Have you considered a test plan for this?
15:17 iamutkarshtiwari Yes. I'll test this with all the activities
15:17 which use activity.py in
15:17 'sugar-toolkit' (the deprecated one)
15:18 tony37 I don't think that is needed. You are changing activity.py which is used by all of the activities. So it should work the same for each.
15:18 iamutkarshtiwari No.
15:18 There are activities which use activity.py from
15:18 'sugar-toolkit-gtk3'
15:18 So I need to take care
15:19 tony37 Of course, but you were talking about sugar
15:19 iamutkarshtiwari which activity to test for which 'acitivity.py'
15:19 I am talking about the 'discard' option in the 'save as' alert.
15:19 tony37 Agreed - but I don't think you need a range of activities. You need to cover the cases
15:19 iamutkarshtiwari Cases like?
15:20 tony37 First you need an activity that saves a document in the Journal. Write or Paint are examples but both may have been moved to sugar3.
15:21 Cases are (1) open new (2) quit (3) show alert (4) get a new title or get a no
15:22 iamutkarshtiwari and other is - (1) open new
15:22 (2) specify name
15:22 (3) quit
15:22 (4)  no alert
15:22 tony37 Further cases are (1) resume (2) quit (3) show alert (4) receive new title (5) receive no change but a request to save
15:22 iamutkarshtiwari But what if the user wants to 'discard' even after providing a name in the 'name entry' ?
15:23 tony37 If you accept an enter as a 'save' response; how is that possible?
15:24 Naturally, the user could type an entry without a return and move the cursor to click 'no'.
15:24 iamutkarshtiwari I meant specifying the name for that instance in the top left activity options available.
15:24 Not in the alert.
15:24 tony37 Ah. I think that case needs to be tested. I would set this case to save with no alert
15:25 iamutkarshtiwari Ok.
15:25 tony37 Remember the goal is to have the user supply a meaningful name. Now we always save so automatically saving after a name is supplied is fine. If the user is concerned - he/she can always go to the Journal and erase.
15:26 iamutkarshtiwari I agree.
15:26 Let's focus now on finishing 'save as' ASAP.
15:26 So that
15:27 we can move futher to 'Activity resume' feature.
15:28 tony37 By activity resume - you mean changing the home view so that we can configure whether the default is to resume or to star new
15:28 iamutkarshtiwari Yes :)
15:28 tony37 I'm for that too
15:28 iamutkarshtiwari I think I confuse you everytime . sorry
15:28 tony37 No - I just want to confirm that we are on the same page
15:29 iamutkarshtiwari How was the yesterday's match?
15:29 tony37 Very interesting. Portugal, a strong team, had done nothing in the first two matches. In the third they scored three goals in less than 10 minutes.
15:29 iamutkarshtiwari Wow :O
15:30 tony37 Now Croatia has drawn Portugal. Croatia won and would normally be matched with a weak team. But that is how Portugal showed in the statistics. So now that they have found their pace - poor Croatia must deal with it.
15:31 iamutkarshtiwari Let's hope for the best.
15:31 Both teams are quite strong.
15:31 tony37 It is very important here since I am in Croatia
15:32 iamutkarshtiwari Yes. You told me. ;)
15:32 Croatia will win. I have lot fo supporters  for Croatia here
15:32 :D
15:32 tony37 Portugal has Christian Rodinho considered possibly the best player in the world after Lionel Messi. He scored two goals in five minutes after not coming close in the earlier games.
15:33 We need all the help we can get.
15:33 iamutkarshtiwari Yes. He is a world class player.
15:33 tony37 But no games until Saturday so we can focus on your features
15:33 iamutkarshtiwari May the force be with Croatia
15:33 Yes.
15:34 GSoC meeting tomoroww
15:34 at 12:00UTC
15:34 Would you be there?
15:34 tony37 Please send me version 16 (and probably you should send it to Sebastian as well. I was pleased at our last meeting that he has been testing the fiddle feature
15:35 iamutkarshtiwari Yes. He has been following up with our latest progress.
15:35 tony37 Oh! It is Friday. I need to fill out my evaluation before Monday.
15:35 iamutkarshtiwari Please.. :)
15:35 I'll remind you tommorow as well. :P
15:36 tony37 I will be reminded by the multitudes at the meeting!
15:36 iamutkarshtiwari haha :D
15:36 I think I should go ahead with my work.
15:37 tony37 Remember in your report, an attempt to solve a problem (e.g. html5print) that is unsuccessful is progress.
15:37 iamutkarshtiwari :(
15:37 tony37 It sometimes seems like progress in the wrong direction (I think of it as one step forward and then two steps back).
15:37 iamutkarshtiwari This is bad?
15:37 Is it*
15:38 I did all I could to make it work
15:38 (tried including all the dependencies manually and fixing their relative import paths as well)
15:38 But it seems to be bugging on a loop.
15:39 tony37 No. I wish you had tried to do as I asked with the css but you learned a lot about the way activities are structured that will be valuable
15:40 iamutkarshtiwari I'll try to fix JS prettifying soon after we finish 'acivity resume'
15:40 tony37 Last year, we had some participants who decided that mustache (js library) was really needed. After spending several days they realized that it was not compatible with the XO graphics
15:41 iamutkarshtiwari oh!
15:41 https://gist.github.com/iamutk[…]d97309bcc629886f4
15:41 this is the code ^ for the CSS printing module
15:42 tony37 About 500 lines of Python (a bit more than 20)
15:42 iamutkarshtiwari yes :D
15:43 That's what I thought when I found out.
15:43 tony37 It also turns on python 3 printing. Probably doesn't impact your other code.
15:44 Actually I think that only applies to the module where it appears
15:44 Anyway - get on with it. We'll meet tomorrow at the Friday meeting.
15:44 Bye
15:45 iamutkarshtiwari Bye
15:45 tony37 has quit IRC
15:45 iamutkarshtiwari #endmeeting
15:45 meeting Meeting ended Thu Jun 23 15:45:09 2016 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
15:45 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-23T14:31:46.html
15:45 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]16-06-23T14:31:46
16:26 iamutkarshtiwari has quit IRC

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster