Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-newbies, 2016-05-28

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
11:10 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-newbies
14:29 iamutkarshtiwari <iamutkarshtiwari!0e8bee62@gateway/web/freenode/ip.14.139.238.98> has joined #sugar-newbies
14:38 iamutkarshtiwari has left #sugar-newbies
14:38 iamutkarshtiwari has quit IRC
14:39 iamutkarshtiwari <iamutkarshtiwari!0e8bee62@gateway/web/freenode/ip.14.139.238.98> has joined #sugar-newbies
14:56 tony37 <tony37!~tony@194.152.247.2> has joined #sugar-newbies
14:56 tony37 Hi,
14:58 Anybody home?
15:01 Hello
15:03 hello
15:04 tony37 has quit IRC
15:04 iamutkarshtiwari hi
15:07 hello
15:08 #startmeeting
15:08 meeting Meeting started Sat May 28 15:08:30 2016 UTC. The chair is iamutkarshtiwari. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:08 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
15:11 tony37 <tony37!~tony@194.152.247.2> has joined #sugar-newbies
15:11 tony37 Hello
15:12 iamutkarshtiwari I am sorry Mr. Anderson. I keep working while my browser is open in background.
15:12 tony37 OK
15:12 iamutkarshtiwari My freenode also doesn't make any notification sound on a ping.
15:12 tony37 No problem. How are you coming with fiddler?
15:13 iamutkarshtiwari I am sure that I can fix all the bugs you mentioned.
15:13 2 are already fixed. 2 still left.
15:13 Beautiful soup does prettyfy css I guess..
15:13 tony37 We are certainly getting close.
15:14 iamutkarshtiwari doesn't*
15:14 tony37 It should - worth a try
15:14 iamutkarshtiwari I had already tweaked fiddler to prettyfy the code (html + css + js).
15:15 But it seem that it doesn't work with css.
15:15 Could you please suggest an alternative for that?
15:15 tony37 There is a newer version bs4 which is not installed on 0.106 but could be installed in parallel with BeautifulSoup.
15:16 iamutkarshtiwari Does it support prettyfying css?
15:16 tony37 I don't know - it has updated the feature adding a formatter option.
15:17 This could also be a good Google question
15:17 iamutkarshtiwari I'll give it a try then. So we need to install bs4 manually in Sugar ?
15:17 As you said that it's not currently installed.
15:17 tony37 It generally goes in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages
15:18 iamutkarshtiwari What about XO1? The one which you are using?
15:19 tony37 Actually, right now I am using an XO-1.75. Normally my preferred version is XO-1.5 but the only one I have needs to be unlocked.
15:19 This works with all XOs - it is pure Python.
15:20 iamutkarshtiwari Mr. Anderson, we also need to talk about #nepal in detail.
15:20 tony37 OK, but by email. You may want to send an email to Rabi directly on any questions about the arrangements there.
15:21 iamutkarshtiwari I have already sent him one.
15:21 tony37 Great! He usually responds from the office and often not immediately - be patient.
15:21 iamutkarshtiwari I would be in constant need of internet there(for Gsoc work), will they be able to provide me for that?
15:22 tony37 OLE Nepal has a team of 20+ in a big three story house with lots of internet. No problem
15:23 iamutkarshtiwari haha :D oh..fine then.. All what's needed to be decided are the dates (9th june - 18th june) which is my only option.
15:24 tony37 Work that out with Rabi. You aren´t leaving much time between the end of exams and getting on an airplane.
15:24 iamutkarshtiwari If they comfortable with the above mentioned duration, I shall go ahead with booking flight tickets, else the tickets get costlier everyday at the time nears. :D
15:24 tony37 Did you mention this to Rabi in your email?
15:24 iamutkarshtiwari Yes.
15:25 tony37 OK - he should respond probably on Monday - in my experience
15:25 iamutkarshtiwari Apologies for that. I don't want to delay my work on gsoc, so I am not even going back my hometown (directly to nepal and then back to college).
15:26 That's why I decided to leave as soon as the exams end.
15:26 :)
15:26 tony37 I appreciate that but I think the trip to Nepal will advance your work and is a good investment of time
15:26 iamutkarshtiwari Yes!
15:26 tony37 Have you been able to sort out the ´zip' issue?
15:26 iamutkarshtiwari I will learn a lot there from such experienced people. I was hoping to see you there.
15:27 Yes...was currently working on it when you missed me on irc.
15:27 tony37 Sadly, I am unlikely to get to Nepal until this Fall or in Spring of next year.
15:27 iamutkarshtiwari I think I have figured out a solution.
15:27 ;)
15:27 tony37 I always have trouble with zip getting it to execute in the right directory
15:27 iamutkarshtiwari I'll let you know , how shutil works. to get the things in the right place.
15:28 tony37 You really should give subprocess a try (as an alternative test). It is an invaluable tool for me.
15:29 iamutkarshtiwari I'll surely give it a try but I saw Ms. Sehgal make great use of shutil that's why I resorted to it.
15:30 tony37 It is a tool internal to Python whereas subprocess launches a command as a separate process. Some people are uncomfortable with that.
15:30 However, to be able to execute any bash script or shell command from within Python is immensely powerful.
15:31 iamutkarshtiwari I agree.
15:31 That's the beauty of Python.
15:31 tony37 You have an alert for the save operation. Is that the same as you are using in screenshot?
15:32 iamutkarshtiwari Nopes. For screenshot I have created a separate modal dialog popup.
15:33 tony37 I really like the one in 'save', could it be used for screenshot?
15:33 iamutkarshtiwari https://cloud.githubuserconten[…]-8991a8ea215a.gif
15:33 It looks like this ^
15:34 It's difficult to show such alerts throughout the Sugar, since user might want to take a screenshot in anyplace throughout sugar.
15:34 and such alerts are only avaibale within activities.
15:35 tony37 OK. Still even for a screenshot, the prompt could appear at the top of the screen and be horizontal as it is in open.
15:36 I guess my concern is that Walter introduced an alert on quit which required the user to provide a description of the file which was
15:36 generally considered overkill and was later removed
15:37 iamutkarshtiwari How would you like the 'save as' alert to look like? Like 'screenshot' modal dialog    or  like "save as' in fidder on close?
15:37 tony37 I think the 'save' in fiddle alert would be super in 'save as'. Essentially the user is doing the same thing, giving a project a name
15:38 iamutkarshtiwari Same choice!
15:38 tony37 Exactly and the 'save' alert is not too wide (top to bottom) and so seems efficient
15:38 iamutkarshtiwari But I personally feel that 'screenshot' should be a modal dialog as the community also supported it.
15:39 It's the same as what happens on Ubuntu when you capture a screenshot.
15:39 tony37 Remember that 'screenshot' was a case I mentioned in connection with the 'save as' where the user needs to be able to give a title directly and simply
15:40 iamutkarshtiwari But it is not possible to show
15:40 tony37 I think Ubuntu is a different case because there the screenshot is not a simple keyboard shortcut and allows for including the whole screen or a part
15:40 iamutkarshtiwari screenshot as an alert since 'alert()' is only available in acitivity.py for activities. not thoughout sugar.
15:41 tony37 By alert I only mean popping up the panel for the user to enter a name and answer yes or no
15:41 iamutkarshtiwari In current Ubuntu, we can capture screenshot by pressing 'PrntSrc' key on keyboard.
15:41 Oh..I get it.
15:42 tony37 One screenshot enhancement which you should note and ignore - it would be nice to have an ability to crop and resize a screenshot probably
15:42 in Python using Imagemagick
15:43 In many screenshots you are only interested in the toolbar or want to omit the toolbar
15:43 iamutkarshtiwari Is it possible to implement this in Sugar?
15:44 tony37 Sure - it's Python
15:44 Actually, imagemagick is already installed
15:44 iamutkarshtiwari What user can do is, take the screenshot of the whole screen and then crop it via imageeditor.
15:44 tony37 Right now I use gimp
15:45 But I see this as having a rectangular selection and a crop button. Another option would be set width or height (keeping aspect ratio)
15:45 iamutkarshtiwari So do you want me to modify my current code for 'screenshot' to allow user to crop the screenshot realtime?
15:46 tony37 No - I want you to note and ignore. We need to get the features on the plate finished. Then we can consider new features or enhancements.
15:47 iamutkarshtiwari Then I'll first get down to finishing 'screenshot' soon after my exam ends and after that get started with 'Save As'
15:48 tony37 Right.
15:48 iamutkarshtiwari I'll update you with the newer version of fiddler with 3-4hrs. Please test it
15:48 tony37 Meanwhile, I have gotten no one to respond to my question about download - the current existence of a download alert in Browse which is attempting to do the same thing
15:48 iamutkarshtiwari and let me know.
15:49 tony37 Will do
15:49 Do you know what I am talking about
15:49 iamutkarshtiwari The download Icon in Browse will let user view the download progress without needing to switch to journal.
15:50 community liked that feature a lot!
15:50 I think you should also give it a try.
15:50 tony37 No, when Browse downloads there is an alert which appears and counts down the download and then shows 'OK' when it is completed
15:51 I have the sense that this is not working in the 'development environment'.
15:51 iamutkarshtiwari Are you talking about when we do download inside Browse activity (for eg...download activities from Sugar store using Browse) ?
15:51 tony37 yes
15:51 iamutkarshtiwari It works.. AFAIK
15:51 tony37 I don't know what a Sugar store is but yes for ASLO
15:52 Ok, then why does your download not replace it?
15:52 iamutkarshtiwari Sorry  I call ASLO - Sugar store :P
15:52 tony37 I'm sensitive - I don't like to pay for software
15:52 iamutkarshtiwari Could you please send me a screenshot of the download progress in browse you are talking about?
15:53 tony37 Yes, it will be tomorrow
15:53 Incidentally, there is a parallel download progress shown in the Journal view
15:53 iamutkarshtiwari I am not able to figure.. I didn't see any such download progress alert in Sugar. there is just that when download terminated an alert popups up.
15:54 tony37 The one in the Journal seems a better implementation. The one in Browse sometimes appears and sometimes doesn't. Sometimes it shows the download progress, At other times only the OK message
15:55 The progress does not seem to be based on real monitoring but a estimate which is often wrong
15:56 iamutkarshtiwari I'll first have to see the ambiguities as you describe which can be only understood by the screenshots at your end.
15:56 tony37 OK.
15:56 iamutkarshtiwari Then only we can figure out a solution.
15:56 #Exam
15:56 My exams are starting from Monday. I'll be a lot busier with studies. I would be difficult for me to be available on irc everyday but I'll keep pinging you regularly on email.
15:57 tony37 Agreed
15:57 Let me know as you did today when you have time for a meeting. Otherwise, we can skip it.
15:57 Except Friday!
15:57 iamutkarshtiwari I'll try to work on screenshot during my exams. but  progress might be little slow.
15:58 Sure thing!
15:58 tony37 Don't jeopardize your exams. There is a summer ahead.
15:58 iamutkarshtiwari One more doubt.
15:58 tony37 Go
15:58 iamutkarshtiwari Have I made enough progress to be able to please Mr. Bender ? :(
15:58 tony37 Yes
15:58 iamutkarshtiwari As compared to other GSocers.
15:59 oh... :)
15:59 tony37 Yes - keep in mind he is directly mentoring some of the participants and so has much more detailed knowledge of what they are doing
16:00 iamutkarshtiwari Is the fiddler nearing an end?
16:00 tony37 I hope so - it is looking very useful as it is now. I tried most of the scenarios and they work fine. The show source page is very helpful.
16:01 Keep in mind that there will be a task to integrate it with the new Browse with WebKit2. That may not be trivial.
16:01 iamutkarshtiwari I feel that you can test it with kids in your location.
16:02 When will we be doing that integration part?
16:02 tony37 Not easily. Essentially I work on an annual cycle. My goal is to have a 'distribution' ready for the start of the next school year in the Fall.
16:02 Wait 'til the dust settles on the new version - probably late in the GSOC cycle if at all
16:03 iamutkarshtiwari Yeah..the webkit2 version seems a little buggy.
16:03 tony37 It is very important but our current version of WebKit does not support many critical layout features of CSS3
16:04 meant as not but
16:05 iamutkarshtiwari Will finish the bug fix today and will update you in 4 hrs.
16:05 tony37 I need to go - will test your new browse tomorrow and try to get relevant screenshots
16:05 Bye
16:05 iamutkarshtiwari Sure.
16:05 Bye
16:06 tony37 has quit IRC
16:06 iamutkarshtiwari #endmeeting
16:06 meeting Meeting ended Sat May 28 16:06:00 2016 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
16:06 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-28T15:08:30.html
16:06 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]16-05-28T15:08:30
16:06 iamutkarshtiwari has quit IRC

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster