Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-newbies, 2016-05-26

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
10:53 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-newbies
13:46 iamutkarshtiwari <iamutkarshtiwari!0e8bee62@gateway/web/freenode/ip.14.139.238.98> has joined #sugar-newbies
13:48 iamutkarshtiwari #startmeeting
13:48 meeting Meeting started Thu May 26 13:48:04 2016 UTC. The chair is iamutkarshtiwari. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
13:48 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
14:29 tony37 <tony37!~tony@194.152.247.2> has joined #sugar-newbies
14:30 tony37 Hello
14:32 iamutkarshtiwari hi
14:32 tony37 Hi,
14:33 So do we have a topic?
14:33 iamutkarshtiwari #JSFiddler
14:34 tony37 How are you coming with a new bundle to try?
14:35 iamutkarshtiwari I'll first fix the directory structure as you instructed.
14:35 Rest is working AFAIK
14:35 tony37 So any problems with the directory structure?
14:36 iamutkarshtiwari I don't feel there should be any problem with in changing the save and unzip paths.
14:37 with* changing
14:38 tony37 Moving everything inside the instance folder shouldn't be difficult
14:38 iamutkarshtiwari tony37: But you said that the instance folder gets deleted after the activity terminates?
14:38 Which might risk the saved projects data.
14:38 tony37 Yes - which is what you want since these files are temporary
14:39 That data is saved in the Journal
14:39 iamutkarshtiwari tony37: But the user wants to save his/her folder at a permanent storage location?
14:39 tony37 The Journal
14:39 iamutkarshtiwari tony37: oh...yes...is the zip file also saved in Journal?
14:40 I am not sure about that.
14:40 tony37 The file that is saved in the Journal is the zip file because each Journal entry can only have one file
14:41 iamutkarshtiwari tony37: I just checked the /dotsugar/datastore/ and I found it! ;)
14:41 tony37 Great!
14:42 One thing is 'what if the user quits Browse?'
14:42 iamutkarshtiwari You are right, it indeed gets saved inside datastore...so yes...it's a nice choice to extract everything inside instance to save space on XO.
14:42 tony37 Browse does not save content in the Journal
14:42 iamutkarshtiwari so as to save*
14:43 tony37: The active webpages links are saved in metadata.
14:43 tony37 However that won't help our user
14:44 iamutkarshtiwari tony37: I guess you want to save the webpages inside metadata as well so that there is no need of reloading them from internet?
14:44 tony37 In other words you need to capture the quit event (same way Browse does it) and then execute save on any open fiddler
14:45 iamutkarshtiwari tony37: Oh..nice catch!
14:45 I think I can get it done.
14:45 tony37 I'm looking forward to the next version
14:45 iamutkarshtiwari for now two targets are at hand -
14:45 1) fixing the directory structure
14:46 2) Save project on close(force close)
14:46 tony37 Yes
14:46 iamutkarshtiwari But an issue with 2)
14:46 What shoudl be name of the project? Since the user won'r get a chance to name the project at force close.
14:47 tony37 Oops. I think you need to ask for a project name at open (e.g. if an open of a blank fiddle, ask the user for a title)
14:48 iamutkarshtiwari That's unconventional. :/
14:49 tony37 That's consistent with the 'save as' idea - have the user give a name (agreed about the timing, but Browse is strange because it saving 'state' information not data but doing it in a data file
14:50 The way 'save as' should work is that the user should be asked at quit for a name if one is not already given
14:50 iamutkarshtiwari User doesn't know beforehand how would he like to name his project unless he writes something
14:50 tony37: Or other thing we could do is that ask user to specify a name for the project at the force close?
14:51 So technically there should be 2 alerts.
14:51 1) Save as of the JSfiddle
14:51 tony37 One way to do this is to have another panel 'title'. At quit on browse if there is an open fiddler and no title given, use a save as alert
14:51 iamutkarshtiwari 2) Save as of activity.py
14:51 tony37 Yes
14:52 iamutkarshtiwari But we can't our "Save As' alert for fiddle since it's meant to store the running activity object in Journal.
14:52 What we can do is, call the 'title entry' alert at the time of force close.
14:53 tony37 When an activity quits, there are a couple of signals. One, the framework runs a 'write_file' procedure. If one is defined by the activity that one is run.
14:53 The other is a 'can-close' procedure which is called on quit, if it is defined in the activity.
14:54 probably can_close *
14:55 iamutkarshtiwari I'll bring up a prototype for the 2) problem, then we'll decide whether it's acceptable or needs a change.?
14:55 in the next version.
14:56 tony37 I think Browse uses write_file. So you could add code their to check for an open fiddler tab.
14:56 iamutkarshtiwari I think we have invested a lot of time with JSFiddle? We need to focus on other features as well.
14:56 tony37 Great - which one is next
14:56 iamutkarshtiwari #Screenshot
14:57 tony37 So this one is done except for the which alert to use problem?
14:57 iamutkarshtiwari I meant to say that we have spent a lot time re-working on JSFiddle, we should proceed with working (coding) other proposed features.?
14:58 tony37 We always have to that until it is done. But you can work on more than one at a time. I find that necessary because there is some reason blocking the next step on a project
15:00 I meant by 'this one' - screenshot
15:02 iamutkarshtiwari tony37: I would be having my exams from 30May-7June , so it woudl be difficult for to contribute much during that time (that's why I completed some of the proposed feature beforehand)
15:02 tony37 Yes - we need to get the PRs posted and request approval for each of these projects in the next few days, if possible.
15:03 However, preparing for the exams may take up a lot of your time before May 30
15:03 iamutkarshtiwari yes..but I'll try to make up to it after 7th.
15:04 tony37 Can you explain this keyboard feature?
15:04 iamutkarshtiwari I'll speed up my work so that I can finish some significant amount of work by midterm evaluation.
15:04 The target of the keyboard feature is to let user operate the entire Sugar via keyboard (arrow keys, ctrl, alt, enter,..etc)
15:05 tony37 The old UNIX style?
15:05 iamutkarshtiwari I am not familiar with old UNIX :( I started my UNIX like with ubuntu 14.04 1 year back :D
15:06 UNIX life*
15:06 tony37 In the old UNIX we did not have a mouse. All operations had to be done by keyboard
15:06 iamutkarshtiwari Similar to the BIOS operations in windows?
15:07 through keyboard with arrow keys and enter.
15:07 tony37 and many key combinations like ctl + c for copy
15:07 iamutkarshtiwari Yes! This keyboard feature is somewhat like that.
15:07 tony37 How did you get involved with this?
15:08 iamutkarshtiwari But this is also what will need a huge change in entire Sugar codebase.
15:08 https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/4891
15:08 This^  is where I found the need for the keyboard accessiblity.
15:11 tony37 This is a feature to support test scripts - probably needed
15:11 The ticket says you assumed responsibility 3 months ago.
15:11 How much implementation have you done?
15:14 iamutkarshtiwari I generated the PR with all mentioned requirements (necessary fixed) in Mar 13 (which is 3 month ago).
15:14 tony37 So there is no further work needed?
15:16 iamutkarshtiwari There seems some problem with touchscreens on this PR and also Sam suggested to write an API for the same.
15:16 tony37 How can there be a problem with touchscreens if the purpose is to test features with automated scripts
15:18 iamutkarshtiwari Sam reported the issue - https://github.com/sugarlabs/s[…]comment-197201796
15:19 tony37 What I am trying to do is find out what is on your plate. I think this one we should consider done.
15:19 iamutkarshtiwari Keyboard accessibility?
15:19 tony37 YEs
15:20 iamutkarshtiwari But Sam won't merge the PR since it's only Journal specific.
15:20 tony37 Then it won't get merged and those who want the feature will have to try to get it approved.
15:21 iamutkarshtiwari The current status is that the PR provides 'keyboard accessibility' only inside Journal.
15:21 tony37 Which is a good response to the ticket
15:22 iamutkarshtiwari Mr. Silva was impressed by the PR so he has an inclinations towards this features.
15:22 tony37: I did all what was mentioned in the ticket. :)
15:22 tony37 Exactly. So it is done.
15:23 If Sam wants more capabilities he can write a new ticket.
15:23 iamutkarshtiwari Thing with me is that I like taking up tasks (challenging one) and completing them to perfection but they face some criticism in the end :D
15:23 Exactly!
15:24 tony37 Perfection is not ours to achieve
15:24 iamutkarshtiwari I meant to say that features so be least buggy as possible. :)
15:24 tony37 Anyway, your plate has fiddle, screenshot (but it may be done), download, and save as
15:25 iamutkarshtiwari I'll work my night today to get the 2 proposed fiddle task by tomorrow and send you next version ASAP.
15:26 tony37 Great - we are finishing with the hour.
15:26 iamutkarshtiwari I have sent you a channel name privately .
15:26 tony37 Let's take a position that if screenshot needs to incorporate this other alert - that can be handled by a ticket after it is merged
15:26 iamutkarshtiwari Please have a look at it.
15:27 Yes..I think further updates can be made later.
15:27 tony37 Further, that the keyboard feature should be merged and any further enhancements need to be requested
15:27 I am concerned about the download feature because it duplicates the existing download progress alert
15:28 iamutkarshtiwari It's all upon Sam's decision of merging it or not.
15:29 tony37 Yes, so not our concern. If he accepts fine. If not, then at the weekly GSOC we can report it is done and approval requested - then Walter can sort it out.
15:29 iamutkarshtiwari Seem like the right thing to do.
15:30 #endmeeting
15:30 meeting Meeting ended Thu May 26 15:30:03 2016 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
15:30 tony37 Do you know the Browse download alert?
15:30 meeting Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-26T13:48:04.html
15:30 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]16-05-26T13:48:04
15:30 iamutkarshtiwari We need to discuss about the OLE nepal as well. Just 5 mins of your.
15:30 tony37 Bye
15:30 tony37 has quit IRC
15:34 iamutkarshtiwari has quit IRC

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster