Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting meeting, 2019-07-05 20:09:22

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
20:09 meeting Meeting started Fri Jul  5 20:09:22 2019 UTC. The chair is Quozl. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
20:09 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
20:09 Quozl who have we?  walterbender, llaske, Quozl, pikurasa so far.
20:09 llaske Yes
20:09 walterbender Yes.
20:10 pikurasa yes
20:10 walterbender we need a regex to parse all the ways to say yes
20:10 llaske :-)
20:12 Quozl I've sent reminders to Samson, Claudia, and Alex.
20:12 Claudia is replying.
20:13 Any proposed topics for discussion today?
20:13 Ifeanyiekperi <Ifeanyiekperi!~androirc@105.112.114.189> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:13 pikurasa Sugar Labs is new legal entity now
20:14 walterbender as of June 28
20:14 pikurasa Kyle says "Delaware has received and filed our certificate.  The new corporation, Sugar Labs, Inc., now exists, legally speaking." (since June 28th)
20:14 llaske Great
20:14 pikurasa He also says "I will follow up about governance and 1023 ASAP."
20:15 walterbender I can give a quick update re GCI and GSoC
20:15 Quozl Claudia is unavailable, caring for someone in hospital since 7am.
20:15 walterbender ouch
20:15 Ifeanyiekperi Hi all, sorry I'm late
20:16 Quozl Ifeanyiekperi: hi, what's your name?
20:16 perrie <perrie!~perrie@129.56.96.156> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:16 Quozl Welcome to perrie as visitor.
20:17 Welcome to sumit as visitor.
20:17 samsongoddy <samsongoddy!~androirc@169.159.86.183> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:17 samsongoddy Hello
20:17 Quozl samsongoddy: hello.
20:17 samsongoddy I was on transit back home
20:17 Quozl So we're only missing Alex.  Anyone heard from Alex re this meeting?  Moving on, first topic;
20:18 #topic new organisation
20:18 Ifeanyiekperi Ifeanyi Ekperi
20:18 Quozl As Devin said above, Sugar Labs, Inc. exists since 28th June.
20:18 Welcome to Ifeanyi Ekperi as visitor.
20:20 walterbender On a related note, I spoke with Stephanie, who organizes GCI, to let her know about our plans to separate from the SFC.
20:20 She said that there would be no issues from the POV of Google
20:21 We should be able to continue with GCI and GSoC as usual.
20:21 llaske That's cool
20:21 pikurasa +1
20:21 Quozl Will we divert Payoneer now?  I think we should, if we have a place to put it.
20:21 walterbender We may run into a bump or two regarding, for example, getting funds transferred for the GSoC mentor summit.
20:22 sum2it[m] Thank you, Quozl.
20:22 I don't think we should distrub Payoneer setup for this GSoC. Is that possible?
20:22 walterbender I suspect that if we have our own Payoneer account, we can probably get Google to use that, but it may be easier to keep using SFC for this particular instance.
20:23 Quozl I'm imagining a bump as the org that joined GSoC isn't the org that wants the funds.  ;-)  May have to wait and let the funds go via SFC.
20:23 walterbender pikurasa, can you check with Karen?
20:23 pikurasa sure. she was sick for a bit
20:23 walterbender In any case, going forward we are good.
20:23 Quozl #topic gsoc update
20:24 Ifeanyiekperi I agree with Quozl, after this last transact, then we can part ways to avoid hitches
20:24 walterbender We continue to meet on a regular basis with the mentees.
20:24 Seems that progress is being made.
20:24 The Monday group meeting logs are all available on meetings.sl.o
20:25 Quozl for my part, the two sugar projects are going well.  the students are learning to solve problems themselves.  i'm not so sure hrishi knows how to solve problems, but i'm not mentoring there.
20:25 walterbender We need to select two mentors to represent SL at the GSoC summit.
20:25 Quozl isn the responsibility to select representatives
20:25 pikurasa not me
20:25 walterbender It will be held in Munich this year -- in part because of the visa issues we've bee struggling with here in the US
20:25 pikurasa it was fun, but not me
20:26 Quozl isn't the responsibility to select representatives already delegated to the co-admins?
20:26 llaske 3 Sugarizer projects are going very well too. Will be integrate in next version of Sugarizer/Sugarizer Server
20:26 walterbender the MB projects are also going well.
20:26 pikurasa yes, two very good students
20:26 for MB
20:27 walterbender Quozl, yes, re selecting the mentors... the co-admins should do that.
20:27 Quozl and the co-admins are rahul, walter, and i.
20:28 we have three streams; sugarizer, sugar, and musicblocks.  is there a mentor who can represent two of these?
20:28 walterbender yes... and I believe we have already agreed that Rahul will be one of the representatives.
20:29 Quozl llaske: do you have any suggestion for a sugarizer mentor to attend munich?
20:30 llaske I've got opportunity to go to summit already, same for Michael. May be we could ask to Tarun
20:30 Quozl meta; i've no next topic.  any new topics or shall we close half an hour early?
20:30 samsongoddy #deployment
20:31 Quozl samsongoddy: what?
20:31 walterbender Quick GCI update as well
20:31 Quozl #topic gci 2019
20:32 walterbender Just a heads up that GCI will move back to its late November to mid-January time frame
20:32 Quozl ok.
20:32 walterbender which is much easier for me at least.
20:32 Quozl samsongoddy: what's your proposed topic please?
20:32 walterbender I met with our winners Freddie and Austin
20:32 pikurasa yes, last year was challenging
20:32 samsongoddy #sugardeployment
20:32 walterbender and they are keeping active with some SL projects.
20:33 also got some other GPWs interested in SL :)
20:33 pikurasa +!
20:33 walterbender that's my report
20:33 pikurasa +1
20:33 Quozl samsongoddy: please stop putting # in front, and just use words in english?  i've no idea what your topic is.
20:33 walterbender @pikurasa, I need to write to RC Music
20:33 Quozl walterbender: thanks.
20:33 llaske It's cool to have opportunity to do GCI again
20:33 samsongoddy Sorry, my bad. I meant deployment in Nigeria
20:34 Quozl samsongoddy: what about deployment in nigeria?
20:34 sum2it[m] If anybody here doesn't mind, I'd like to represent the creative community that SugarLabs represent through it's projects.
20:34 samsongoddy I am working with a coding club that secured some grant from Google
20:34 Quozl sum2it[m]: i don't understand, sorry.
20:35 samsongoddy To deploy Sugar in primary schools
20:35 Quozl #topic nigeria, coding club
20:35 pikurasa sum2it[m]: for mentor summit?
20:35 samsongoddy And Junior secondary schools
20:35 Ifeanyiekperi has quit IRC
20:35 samsongoddy They already deployed 10 laptops, and some desktop running Ubuntu
20:35 ifeanyi <ifeanyi!~androirc@105.112.114.81> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:36 sum2it[m] Yup, pikurasa .
20:36 samsongoddy To each Schools
20:36 Total of 140 laptops will be shipped with Sugar to 10 schools in Abia State, Nigeria
20:37 Quozl shipped from where?
20:37 samsongoddy As a first pilot, I have a team of 5 on ground ready to give Technical support.
20:37 Abia state, Nigeria
20:37 Quozl shipped _from_ where?
20:38 samsongoddy From the coding club in Lagos
20:38 But their main base now is in Abia state.
20:38 Quozl what manufacturer and model?  there are surely others who would want to know this; are you blogging or publishing this work anywhere?
20:40 sum2it[m] Yup, sounds exciting. Please publish a brief blog about it.
20:40 samsongoddy I am going to visit the club before it will be deployed. I already had a conversation with the founder and I will share a blog about this when every information is set and ready to be shared
20:40 For now, I wanted to update the community of what to come
20:40 walterbender and I had a conversation with the founder some months back
20:41 Quozl we're not the community, we're the board.  please update the community using the mailing list and wiki.  what manufacturer and model?
20:41 samsongoddy I don't have any information about the hardware until I pay visit to the club. I was updated by the team early this week about their plans
20:42 I am paying them a visit by 18th of July
20:42 pikurasa thanks for update samsongoddy
20:42 samsongoddy Probably should have all the information before I travel
20:42 sum2it[m] It's alright. You might want to publish something on 19th July :P
20:42 samsongoddy Exactly
20:43 Quozl okay, sugar within ubuntu is available as an install image from olpc os 18.04.0 for generic laptops, if that is of interest.  it comes preinstalled with a set of activities.
20:44 samsongoddy Thanks, I will look into that.
20:44 So far they are looking to boost tools like Turtle Blocks and MB
20:44 Quozl http://wiki.laptop.org/go/18.04.0
20:44 samsongoddy On their teaching Curriculum guide
20:44 sum2it[m] samsongoddy that's some great news!
20:45 Quozl there's also scratch if there's internet or a server nearby.
20:45 but alas nobody has bothered to fix scratch as an activity on sugar.
20:45 samsongoddy With the $250k they got from Google, they wanna use that to do some stuff around Sugar Deployment
20:46 Quozl any other topics?
20:46 pikurasa sum2it[m]: We will keep you in mind for summit. I have no particular opinions.
20:46 No other topics from me.
20:46 walterbender nor from me
20:46 pikurasa Alex and I will continue to keep you in the loop regarding new entity.
20:46 walterbender thx
20:47 llaske Thanks
20:47 Quozl we've heard nothing from our membership and elections committee lately.  i may ask for an update for next meeting.
20:47 walterbender +1
20:47 Quozl i've no other topics.
20:48 in the absence of anything else to talk about, i move we close the meeting.
20:48 samsongoddy +1 from me
20:48 walterbender +1
20:48 pikurasa +1
20:48 llaske +1
20:48 pikurasa thank you Quozl
20:48 Quozl #endmeeting
20:48 meeting Meeting ended Fri Jul  5 20:48:50 2019 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
20:48 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-05T20:09:22.html
20:48 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]19-07-05T20:09:22

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster