Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting meeting, 2018-06-01 20:07:40

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
20:07 meeting Meeting started Fri Jun  1 20:07:40 2018 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
20:07 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
20:07 walterbender we don't seem to have a quorum, be we can discuss in any case
20:08 #summer internships
20:09 there is a proposal to offer a Sugar Labs certificate of participation for students who do the equivalent of a GSoC internship
20:09 with mentors
20:09 but unpaid
20:09 seems OK to me as long as (1) we vet the students, projects, and mentors
20:10 and (2) there is clear, consistent communication with the community
20:10 Jasperjohn has quit IRC
20:10 walterbender comments?
20:10 samsongoddy I like it
20:10 llaske Not sure about the idea we've got lot GSoC students this year. Do we need internships ?
20:11 GrannieB They should get something... like a really cool t-shirt and stickers to put on their computer
20:11 walterbender llaske, there have been a lot of people who did not get selected who want to participate
20:11 samsongoddy For instance someone decided to work on Sugar Labs Social aside Gsoc
20:11 walterbender but would like some ACK
20:11 some of the "non-coding" projects, for example
20:11 GrannieB ACK?
20:11 walterbender acknowledge
20:12 Claudia_ <Claudia_!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:12 walterbender hi Claudia_
20:12 llaske +1 GrannieB for the idea of T-Shirt and Stickers
20:12 walterbender we have a quorum :)
20:13 We need to decide if we want to have an "official" letter so that they can put it on their resumes
20:13 we can give anyone a t-shirt
20:13 Claudia_ Hello
20:13 samsongoddy Hello
20:13 Pro-Panda Although I don't count, but I too agree with the idea of internships
20:14 walterbender to me it is all about mentoring
20:14 llaske I think we don't need a specific process for that. We could rewards guys who done good jobs
20:14 walterbender is stretched to the limit
20:14 I think we need to be concrete to make it meaningful
20:15 GrannieB It should be "formalized"
20:16 llaske Okay why not. But something very simple: no more than one paragraph
20:16 walterbender we can basically use the same criteria as GSoC but not worry about the $$$ or the formality of proof of university enrollment
20:17 Claudia_, any thoughts? you able to follow along coming in late?
20:17 GrannieB That would be good as some _teachers_ might want to participate as "interns" to write lessons for Sugar Activities
20:17 walterbender +1
20:17 llaske +1
20:17 samsongoddy +1
20:17 Vrondir has quit IRC
20:18 Claudia_ walterbender: trying to catch up
20:18 walterbender http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]18-06-01T20:07:40
20:19 As long as we have the mentors!!!
20:20 It would be good to get the full board to chime in so I propose an email vote for this.
20:20 Claudia_ Thanks walterbender... the idea of a portfolio came to my mind
20:20 walterbender So as to hear from Sameer, Adam, and Ignacio
20:20 Claudia_, Yes...
20:21 In the case of GSoC it is the blog and the git repo
20:21 but some body of vetted materials is critical
20:21 Claudia_ yes... maybe we can create a rubric and have some people look into it and determine
20:22 GrannieB  Pily Perez in Mexico would be a marvelous mentor. She has worked with IIAB but maybe she could do something with Sugar...
20:22 walterbender maybe we can develop the rubric with the interns and mentors this summer
20:22 Claudia_ walterbender: before I forget... did the proposal you submitted at MIT got funded?
20:22 walterbender nope
20:22 Claudia_ walterbender: yes
20:22 walterbender I haven
20:22 t had time to come into MIT to find out why
20:22 I suspect in large part because it was from me :P
20:23 Claudia_ I don't think so, but I have ideas... let's talk off line
20:23 walterbender but the proposal in Japan is looking very good
20:23 Claudia_ good
20:23 back to the meeting.. sorry
20:23 GrannieB Re: Pily Perez...Actually, perhaps she could get a stipend and be in charge of other mentors..
20:23 walterbender Claudia_, yes... I have a lot to catch you up on :)
20:24 GrannieB, maybe this is a good moment to switch to an update from the Learning Team?
20:25 I'll send email to solicit an email vote of the sugar certificate program
20:25 #topic learning team
20:25 samsongoddy Education team?
20:25 walterbender I prefer "learning" :)
20:25 At least we are not the "Training" team
20:25 GrannieB So far the response has not been huge, but we have several good people signed up
20:26 walterbender probably quality over quantity is better anyway
20:26 when will there be the first meeting?
20:27 GrannieB Our facebook "closed group" is ready to go and Samson and I can get people into it soon... he has a test Saturday and I am getting ready to head for Montana in a few days
20:27 But I think in the next 2 weeks we should have it it up and running
20:27 Claudia_ super
20:28 Pro-Panda sorry to interrupt, re Learning Team, I would like to join in
20:30 samsongoddy Nice
20:30 walterbender anything else re learning? will Pily be joining?
20:30 any other educators?
20:30 GrannieB We also have a request for a project for the Education Team
20:31 walterbender what sort of project?
20:31 GrannieB Tony Anderson has asked us to go through _all_ of the Sugar Activities and pick those that are most useful for classroom teaching
20:32 walterbender seems we have done this a few times in the past
20:32 GrannieB He wants it for his version of IIAB which includes Sugar. I'm not sure Adam's version does (but it is very excellent)
20:32 walterbender Claudia_, do you have access to the lists we prepared for OLPC?
20:32 llaske A very good idea GrannieB, it remind me "XO laptop in the classroom" peruvian book
20:32 GrannieB Not really done in the past for ALL the Activities
20:33 Claudia_ list of activities?
20:33 GrannieB There are some "goodies" there that no one knows about
20:33 walterbender GrannieB, why are there hidden goodies?
20:33 GrannieB The list is on the wiki somewhere... at least I assume it still is
20:33 Claudia_ We had dome some work for a proposal in Florida...
20:34 it was a very specific (math?) one...
20:34 GrannieB There are some that were never included in the main packages. They were add-ons
20:34 walterbender Claudia_, I remember participating in an exercise like this for Miami for the tablet
20:34 Claudia_ I think it would be good to come up with a framework.. which is what I did help with when OLPC was working on the tablet
20:34 walterbender GrannieB, maybe you can find the repos so we can add them to git hub and make them maintained goodies
20:34 Claudia_, +1
20:35 GrannieB http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/
20:35 Claudia_ but we can create one... what are the types of affordances and then what activities fall into the categories (and which ones are missing)
20:35 GrannieB this is the link to the almost complete library of Activities
20:36 Quozl_ .
20:36 Claudia_ I did had one that open about two axis (content and experience)... but we can define other things
20:36 GrannieB BTW are we dropping the capital "A" in Activities? I thought it was a tradition
20:36 walterbender GrannieB, Tony and yashagrawal3 have been working hard to vet the ASLO activities... many are broken and unmaintained
20:37 but it would good to get fresh insight into what is worthwhile maintaining
20:38 shall we move to the next topic?
20:38 samsongoddy has quit IRC
20:38 walterbender #topic GSoC update
20:39 Claudia_ We should not... my bad. It should be Activiyies
20:39 walterbender So far, so good. Lots of hard work by the teams working on Python3, GTK-3, and the clean up of the repos and help
20:39 Claudia_ Activities
20:40 walterbender the MB and TB interns are busy coding and fixing bugs
20:40 llaske I'm concern about fact that lot of students have exams
20:40 walterbender and the Sugarizer crew seems to be making progress (although we were missing some of them at today's meeting_
20:40 llaske, most of them had exams in their proposed schedules...
20:41 llaske yes but I don't remind it was the case last year
20:41 walterbender llaske, it has been the case every year
20:41 it is a function of school calendars
20:41 llaske GSoC is earlier this year
20:41 walterbender GrannieB, any update from your student?
20:41 GrannieB Our intern for Primero is terrific! She is working on a Cuisenaire-like arithmetic Activity.
20:42 walterbender she missed the meeting today...
20:42 GrannieB She has some connectivity issues. The power in Pakistan isn't reliable
20:42 walterbender would you please ask her to send a link to her blog to the lists?
20:42 GrannieB Will do
20:42 walterbender thx
20:42 llaske I don't understand the work she does
20:43 Quozl_ i suggest looking closer at the students that have the output rate of a snail; they may be in over their depth and need daily mentoring.
20:44 walterbender Quozl_, yes... I've had to up the pace of hand-holding with a couple
20:44 is a bit worried about one student who is plenty smart but doesn't seem motivated
20:45 Quozl_ walterbender: i don't know for sure; on the internet nobody knows who you are, but some of the work _before_ GSoC was way better than some of the work _during_.  ;-)
20:45 walterbender Quozl_, yes... I noticed that more this year than in years past
20:46 perhaps some applicants got help in trying to impress us in the courtship
20:46 Quozl_ good, had feared i was imagining it.  amazing what pre-application motivation does.
20:46 GrannieB maybe so...
20:46 walterbender but there is a core group that is working hard and I think pulling the rest along with them
20:47 GrannieB let's hope pre-deadline motivation works the same magic
20:47 walterbender the weekly group meeting is a strong motivator too
20:47 llaske +1 GrannieB we will not hesitate to fail some students if need
20:48 walterbender I am not against cutting our loses and failing some
20:48 I don't want to waste anyone's time mentoring a slacker
20:49 any other GSoC comments?
20:49 GrannieB Just as a refresher so I can remind Iqra... what is the UTC time and link for the weekly intern meeting?
20:49 walterbender the usual Sugar Meeting channel (here)
20:50 and it is at 12:30 ET
20:50 20:00 IST
20:50 16:30 UTC
20:50 I am out of topics since samson and sameer are not here
20:51 anyone else have a topic to raise?
20:51 GrannieB Where is Adam?
20:51 walterbender could the SLOB members present +1 to end the meeting?
20:51 Claudia_ has quit IRC
20:52 llaske +1
20:52 walterbender last I heard from Adam was the announcement about internet in a box
20:52 +1
20:52 I think we lost Claudia...
20:52 GrannieB Yes, I saw that... I wonder if he is in Mexico
20:52 walterbender so here we go.
20:52 thanks everyone
20:53 GrannieB Bye
20:53 walterbender #end-meeting
20:53 meeting Meeting ended Fri Jun  1 20:53:05 2018 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
20:53 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-01T20:07:40.html
20:53 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]18-06-01T20:07:40

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster