Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting meeting, 2018-05-06 16:43:50

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
16:43 meeting Meeting started Sun May  6 16:43:50 2018 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:43 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
16:44 vipulgupta2048 #topic Updates
16:44 vipulgupta2048_ <vipulgupta2048_!~vipulgupt@117.242.232.210> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:44 vipulgupta2048_ Did you check the mail I sent you ?
16:44 walterbender I did
16:45 vipulgupta2048_ I was thinking we could discuss their answers in this meeting
16:45 with the mentors
16:45 Vrondir <Vrondir!~Vrondir@85.187.40.129> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:46 rdrsadhu Hi Vipul! I read your email, could you specify which parameters do I need to check for in the activity.info file while migrating the wiki pages?
16:46 vipulgupta2048_ Also, I had some more questions. I wanted to ask that I noted down in the tracker. If we could resolve them too.
16:47 walterbender rdrsadhu, vipulgupta2048_ I think we should not have the migration from the wiki update the activity.info pages
16:47 that can be a post-process
16:47 vipulgupta2048_ Hi rdrsadhu, I was hoping for you to check all the parameters listed here https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/[…]/Activity_Bundles in the activity.info section
16:48 rdrsadhu yes.
16:48 walterbender but it would be useful if we can identify screenshots
16:48 vipulgupta2048_ walterbender, but aren't we fixing the activity.info
16:48 and updating it.
16:50 walterbender vipulgupta2048_, I think you should be the one checking the parameters in actvitiy.info
16:50 rdrsadhu, it may be obvious enough that it can be automated in some way
16:50 rdrsadhu, referring to screenshots
16:50 and if there are some screen shots, maybe add one to the README.md file?
16:50 rdrsadhu what do you say vipul?
16:52 vipulgupta2048_ walterbender, Yes I am working on an automated way to check the activity.info. But I was thinking till the time I am developing that maybe we could identify the things which are missing in the activity repo that rdrsadhu will be working on.
16:52 walterbender vipulgupta2048_, yes...
16:52 but I don't think that should be rdrsadhu 's responsibility
16:52 he can provide you with data you need
16:52 vipulgupta2048_ It isn't. I am sorry if it felt that way.
16:52 walterbender but your task is activity.info
16:53 his is the help activity and the README.md files
16:53 vipulgupta2048_ I am clearly taking the part of fixing and finding them.
16:53 walterbender +1
16:53 rdrsadhu walterbender, sorry I didn't get the screenshot thing. Can you please elaborate?
16:53 vipulgupta2048_ Okay, coming back to it. If I am right, we are migrating screenshots from the wiki page right, rdrsadhu
16:54 rdrsadhu vipulgupta2048_, yes we are
16:54 walterbender rdrsadhu, If when migrating the wiki content, you can identify screen shots, I think it would be good to (1) add them to the screenshot subdir and (2) include one in the README.md file you are generating
16:55 vipulgupta2048_ We can then pick the screenshots in the subdir and add them ASLO. Right ?
16:55 to*
16:55 rdrsadhu walterbender, understood. thanks!
16:56 walterbender e.g., https://github.com/sugarlabs/l[…]eenshots/en/1.png
16:56 just one is enough for the README.md file
16:57 vipulgupta2048_ walterbender, what about point 4 - about adding link from the help directory. Should I add them in activity.info or where?
16:57 help activity*
16:58 walterbender I am not sure about that.
16:59 vipulgupta2048_ I suggest to add them to the activity.info, we can have help button on each activity page in ASLO. Which could link to help page on https://help.sugarlabs.org/en/
17:00 walterbender I think that is a Sugar-level rather than Activity-level function.
17:00 vipulgupta2048_ I was just unsure, since you asked to add it in our last meeting.
17:00 walterbender I don't recall the detauls of how it works.
17:01 vipulgupta2048_ Should I leave it for now, focus on the rest.
17:01 walterbender yes
17:01 vipulgupta2048_ Next point..
17:02 You asked about adding missing sections to activity.info, would it be the sections mentioned here https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/[…]/Activity_Bundles in the activity.info section
17:02 walterbender yes
17:02 vipulgupta2048_ Referring to point 6
17:02 Okay, so I guess point 5 and 6 are similar.
17:02 More questions.
17:02 rdrsadhu has quit IRC
17:03 vipulgupta2048_ When all migration of activity documentation has been completed, don’t we need to remove the website detail in activity.info.
17:03 Since those pages would be depreciated.
17:04 Unimauro_ <Unimauro_!beef7da2@gateway/web/freenode/ip.190.239.125.162> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:04 rdrsadhu <rdrsadhu!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:04 walterbender tries to recall what the "website" field is for
17:05 vipulgupta2048_ Right, let me send you the link.
17:05 https://github.com/sugarlabs/t[…]ity/activity.info
17:05 I am using this as my test file.
17:05 for my script
17:06 I am referring to the website field that specifies the wiki page.
17:06 walterbender Oh. I don't think many activities use that field... it is not defined anywhere
17:06 but maybe that is where you'd want to link to help.
17:06 I'd just ignore it for the time being
17:06 vipulgupta2048_ Right on, replace wiki link to help link. Got you.
17:07 ... or ignore it.
17:07 walterbender If it is some external site, we may want to preserve it
17:07 Unimauro has quit IRC
17:07 walterbender but the wiki pages will be in the help activity as per rdrsadhu 's project
17:08 but again, I don't think many activities use that field
17:08 vipulgupta2048_ Should I just make new field called help. And add the link there. Best of both worlds.
17:08 walterbender sure
17:08 vipulgupta2048_ I do agree, not many activities use that.
17:08 Moving on.
17:08 walterbender but it may be the case that there is a help page and a home page for an activity
17:09 vipulgupta2048_ An home-page? Do elaborate.
17:09 walterbender so let's see what you find in your analysis
17:10 vipulgupta2048_ Okay. I will have to extend by field of analysis. Since there are more parameters to play with.
17:10 rdrsadhu_ <rdrsadhu_!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:11 vipulgupta2048_ walterbender, Jatin mentioned this, I am not sure what it is https://github.com/sugar-activities
17:11 rdrsadhu has quit IRC
17:12 vipulgupta2048_ His analysis shows about 687 activities. This had me confused for a very long time. Analysis that he did - https://docs.google.com/spread[…]crQkr8/edit#gid=0
17:13 Can you please explain what might this be ?
17:13 walterbender I am not sure
17:13 Maybe we can get him to meet with us and explain
17:14 vipulgupta2048_ Well, I have mailed him. Waiting for a reply. I will ask him to join us
17:14 walterbender as this seems like it is from the old ASLO database, only on github
17:14 vipulgupta2048_ But 687 repos and what are addons?
17:15 He made a script for license extraction which I am using too as a base for my script
17:15 walterbender the term addons is from the old activities.sugarlabs.org system
17:16 it was a port of the firefox addons backend
17:16 hence the weird terminology
17:16 always found it confusing
17:16 vipulgupta2048_ Okay, if that is the word then it is fine. Because I was amazed since I found 161 activities and how can there be 687
17:17 rdrsadhu_, are you there ?
17:17 rdrsadhu_ yes
17:18 vipulgupta2048_ So, will you be taking the screenshots task.
17:18 It's not much to do, I guess.
17:18 rdrsadhu_ sure, I'll add them as I find.
17:18 vipulgupta2048_ Just add another directory for screenshot, and I will link them in the activity.info
17:18 walterbender It will take some heuristics design
17:18 could be tricky
17:19 to identify which images are screenshots
17:19 rdrsadhu_ after the user-documentation is moved to help-activity
17:20 it often requires some manual tweaking to generate the README.md file in the source repository
17:20 so, I guess, I'll need to detect the screenshots manually at the same time.
17:21 walterbender +1
17:21 vipulgupta2048_ walterbender, any comments on the timeline made. My mentors stated it needs more details. I will be adding a counter of 'fixed' activities repos per week in reference to that.
17:21 To get a sense of good progress.
17:23 walterbender Follow their advice
17:23 vipulgupta2048_ I will fix about 5-10 activities this week probably from the ones that are already migrated, make pull requests. You can check it out then.
17:23 walterbender I don't want to micro manage any more than I already am
17:23 Unimauro_ I suggest use a tool to get the screen shot there are some tools like plugins
17:23 vipulgupta2048_ I will. I understand your point.
17:24 walterbender Unimauro_, yes... we can generate them if they don't exist
17:24 vipulgupta2048_ Hi Unimauro_ , Carlos ?
17:24 walterbender but often the activity author has generated ones that are optimized to tell the story of the activity
17:25 which is better than what we could auto-generate
17:25 suspects that almost all the activities documented in the wiki have screenshots already
17:25 vipulgupta2048_ I have seen many activities with screenshots when I was researching for wikiport
17:26 Right.
17:26 Lastly, I checked in Jatin over the issue of repo button linking to wiki page in ASLO.
17:26 rdrsadhu_ most of them, except a few like https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/[…]ies/Typing_Turtle
17:27 vipulgupta2048_ He says, its meant to be like that because most activity.info files might not have a repository field. How should we proceed?
17:28 walterbender I think they should link to the repo
17:28 vipulgupta2048_ walterbender, They should, we are fixing it as soon as he replies.
17:28 walterbender +1
17:29 vipulgupta2048_ Well, that's about it. I will have a check-in with my mentors too.
17:29 No further questions from my side.
17:29 Blog updates are on the way.
17:29 walterbender nothing more from me
17:30 rdrsadhu_, ?
17:30 Unimauro_, ?
17:30 rdrsadhu_ nothing more
17:30 vipulgupta2048_ Unimauro_, are you Carlos ? Maybe walterbender can answer this. I don't know his nick
17:30 Unimauro_ has quit IRC
17:31 walterbender OK.
17:31 thanks all
17:31 #end-meeting
17:31 meeting Meeting ended Sun May  6 17:31:32 2018 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
17:31 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-06T16:43:50.html
17:31 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]18-05-06T16:43:50

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster