Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting meeting, 2018-05-01 00:31:50

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:31 meeting Meeting started Tue May  1 00:31:50 2018 UTC. The chair is Pro-Panda. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
00:31 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
00:32 Pro-Panda #chair walterbender Quozl
00:32 meeting Current chairs: Pro-Panda Quozl walterbender
00:32 Quozl hi.
00:32 octamois Hey Quozl
00:32 yashagrawal3 Hi!
00:32 Pro-Panda Hey everyone
00:32 Quozl hi hi hi.
00:33 Pro-Panda #topic schedule
00:34 Quozl listens politely
00:34 Pro-Panda So, My University Final exams just started. I'll be free before the "Coding Period officially begins" (15 May) of GSoC
00:35 I have no plans that could be a cause for absence for the next 3 months after that
00:35 walterbender that works
00:35 octamois I would like to mention few of my plans!
00:36 I will be working slow in the first week of coding.
00:36 I will to cover up before time for that
00:37 I will be unavailable on 28,29,30 to attend any meeting, if held.
00:37 (I have a interview for a research university, thus I will be consumed)
00:38 Quozl listens
00:38 Pro-Panda Quozl: Should we discuss the project timeline in this meet in the Devel meet ?
00:38 octamois Rest, I will be always available. Irrespective of anything happens.
00:38 Pro-Panda * or in the Devel meet ?
00:38 yashagrawal3 My university exams will be over by 5th of may. I will posting my first blog by then. Sorry for delay!
00:39 Quozl Pro-Panda: there's no time schedule for the Sugar Labs project; it will be done when it is done, so whatever you decide as a schedule for your GSoC project should be fine.
00:39 Pro-Panda Quozl: cool
00:40 Quozl Pro-Panda: there are issue interdependencies though, which may help you understand what things to do in what order in your GSoC project.
00:40 octamois Pro-Panda: , walterbender: Will be have separate meeting for project distribution?
00:40 Quozl octamois: what's project distribution?
00:41 Pro-Panda Quozl: Yes, Sorry, I meant to discuss the amount of time which I intend to spend on each port.
00:41 walterbender we need to get the toolkit working first as it is a dependency for the activtities and suagr
00:43 Quozl Pro-Panda: an estimate seems unlikely to be useful; you might instead spend time where it is needed, in the dependency order.
00:43 walterbender: it looks like the toolkit is working with python 3; is that right Pro-Panda?
00:43 Pro-Panda Quozl: yes
00:44 Except that I haven't been able to yet fix the critical dependency to jarabe
00:44 :(
00:44 octamois listens
00:44 Quozl Pro-Panda: octamois: so in planning your work, figure out if there are any goals in the Sugar Labs project issues that you need help with or expect others to do, and begin those communications.
00:45 Pro-Panda Quozl: Sure
00:45 octamois Quozl: Definitely
00:46 Pro-Panda Can we move to discussing regarding the port of Sugar Toolkit ?
00:46 Quozl If you've finished discussing your GSoC projects, sure.
00:46 Pro-Panda Anything else we might have to discuss on schedules ?
00:47 octamois What are project expectation before Phase 1 evaluations ?
00:47 Pro-Panda Quozl: The overlap is really fine :D
00:47 Quozl Pro-Panda: in my mind is a venn diagram, with a clear intersection.  ;-)
00:48 Pro-Panda Quozl: +1 :-D
00:48 #topic Sugar-Toolkit port
00:49 Quozl #link https://github.com/sugarlabs/s[…]t-gtk3/issues/382
00:49 Pro-Panda I have been able to port the Sugar Toolkit to six (compatible with both Python 2 and Python 3). Except that I couldn't yet figure out a way to fix the dependency to jarabe
00:49 Quozl Pro-Panda: hang on a minute.  walterbender: can you answer octamois question about phase 1 evaluations?
00:50 Pro-Panda octamois: Sorry, and +1
00:50 walterbender I will answer it based on whatever we decide in terms of the work
00:52 Quozl Pro-Panda: the dependency on Jarabe was made, somewhat against my wishes, by a previous GCi or GSoC project participant.  It's uneconomic because it forces us to provide both a Python 2 and Python 3 build of jarabe (repository name sugar).  So to avoid that uneconomic outcome, it is better to fix it.
00:52 walterbender +1
00:53 octamois +1
00:53 walterbender doesn't recall when the dependency was made
00:53 Quozl Pro-Panda: I've not looked at it in detail, but the _functionality_ provided by jarabe.model.shell needed by popwindow.py should be moved to the toolkit.
00:53 Pro-Panda Quozl: agreed. I tried making a fix earlier, I will continue the same immediately as my exams are over
00:54 Quozl Pro-Panda: if anyone else fixes it, i'm fine with that too.  no reason to force you to do it.
00:54 walterbender maybe that is something we can have octamois look into while you are working on your exams
00:55 Pro-Panda Quozl, walterbender: Sure
00:55 walterbender seems if we get that done, we unlock a lot
00:56 octamois +1
00:56 Quozl a803876fbffaa5b36897a2d4dbeceb35d5b671de Copyright (C) 2016 Abhijit Patel committer AbrahmAB <abhisandhyasp.ap@gmail.com> on 2016-04-05.  Probably worth CC'ing them both in a post to sugar-devel@ seeking opinions.
00:56 Pro-Panda walterbender: +1
00:57 Quozl: Sure, I'll do it :-)
00:58 Quozl Oh, it looks easy.
00:58 Pro-Panda "sugar3.graphics.popwindow" isn't used in any of the activities, so their port can also be done simultaneously.
00:58 Quozl ShellModel.push_modal and pop_modal only increment and decrement a counter.  It looks like the author assumed the counter would be shared with the shell, but as the shell is in a different process it achieves NOTHING.
00:59 So it looks like the calls and the import can just be ripped out.
00:59 Pro-Panda also assumed the same :(
00:59 Quozl Good.  Rip it out and test.  Commit.  Push.  ;-)
01:00 yashagrawal3 leaves for last minute revision, has to give examination in an hour.
01:00 octamois afk, I have early class to attend and going to get ready and then travel, I will look the logs
01:00 Pro-Panda Quozl: Sure :-D
01:00 Quozl Let this be a lesson to you; if I say something looks like a problem, it might be not much of a problem at all.
01:00 octamois Can I take the leave?
01:00 Quozl octamois: bye.
01:00 yashagrawal3: bye.
01:00 Pro-Panda Quozl: Lesson learnt :-)
01:01 yashagrawal3 has quit IRC
01:01 walterbender If the patch works, then the toolkit is working and we can (1) start porting activities and (2) port sugar
01:02 Pro-Panda The only thing that _hopefully_ will remain is to remake the make files.
01:04 Quozl I've nothing further to add.
01:05 Pro-Panda I also wanted to discuss my timeline and planning for GSoC. Can we move ?
01:05 walterbender me neither
01:05 well...
01:05 re evaluations, we can make a plan re activities and have some tangible metrics that way
01:06 but the bottom line is the interaction with the community
01:06 Pro-Panda walterbender: Sure. Also, I was planning to increase the time I plan to give on porting Sugar, by a week
01:07 walterbender OK
01:08 Pro-Panda I have nothing further to add for today...
01:08 walterbender OK
01:08 we are off to a good start...
01:08 let us know if the patch works
01:09 Pro-Panda walterbender: Sure, also, "sugar3.graphics.popwindow" isn't used in any of the activities, so their porting can be continued without the patch
01:10 Should we end the meeting ?
01:10 Quozl Pro-Panda: i'll write my comments on the issue.
01:11 Pro-Panda Quozl: sure, I'll go through them
01:13 Should we end the meeting ?
01:14 walterbender yes
01:14 Pro-Panda #endmeeting
01:14 meeting Meeting ended Tue May  1 01:14:26 2018 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
01:14 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-01T00:31:50.html
01:14 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]18-05-01T00:31:50

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.