Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting meeting, 2016-10-25 18:04:48

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
18:04 meeting Meeting started Tue Oct 25 18:04:48 2016 UTC. The chair is ignacio. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:04 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
18:04 ignacio #link https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Google_Code_In_2016
18:05 walterbender, what's required for the application?
18:05 walterbender willl paste in
18:05 ignacio, a description of SL (done)
18:05 and a bunch of questions about what we will do in GCI (started)
18:05 and we need to prepare a collection of example projects (in the wiki)
18:06 we can grab the beginner tasks from last year
18:06 and the documentation tasks
18:06 I have a lot of Music Blocks and Turtle tasks
18:06 and we should add all the open issues from github
18:06 ignacio Yes, I can copy the past year wikipage and the edit it according to 2016 edition
18:06 walterbender ignacio, +1
18:07 maybe nice to have a script to scrape issues from github.com/sugarlabs
18:07 ignacio okay, I will do it
18:07 is Lionel the 2nd org admin?
18:07 walterbender plus we should have a few moon shots for advanced hackers
18:07 ignacio, I haven't heard back yet
18:07 AbrahmAB <AbrahmAB!0e8b7a78@gateway/web/freenode/ip.> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:08 walterbender he expressed interest during the last SLOB meeting
18:08 so I think he will do it
18:08 ignacio How about Mariah being org admin?
18:08 walterbender oh. yes. I'll invite her. she'll do it :)
18:08 ignacio yay
18:08 TymonR <TymonR!~Tymon@eow103.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:08 AbrahmAB hello everyone!
18:08 TymonR hello
18:08 hello everyone! :)
18:09 ignacio welcome
18:09 walterbender if/when we get accepted we need to make sure we have decent coverage of the IRC channel.
18:09 TymonR sorry for being a bit late
18:09 walterbender TymonR, AbrahmAB welcome
18:09 ignacio I will be here on summer
18:09 walterbender I have a fair bit of work on my Day Job so I may not be available my usual 24/7
18:10 but I will mostly be around
18:10 ignacio It's ok
18:10 How many mentors do we have?
18:10 I mean, that already say yes, or want to participate
18:10 walterbender ignacio, no idea?
18:10 you and me?
18:10 sam
18:10 ignacio We should email past year mentors
18:10 walterbender presumably everyone who is here
18:11 ManashRaja I am new but, I will be able to help in the docs and website for GCI
18:11 walterbender a few others so far
18:11 ignacio Maybe on GCI 2015 winners election email
18:11 walterbender +1
18:11 it was great that you and sam could mentor last year
18:11 ignacio Do we need to have mentors before the org application is submitted?
18:11 walterbender no...
18:11 TymonR I could be mentor this year too and it would be really nice, but I am considering whether I shouldn't give a chance trying as student this year
18:12 walterbender in fact, I don't know if you can sign up as a mentor yet
18:12 TymonR, we will use the github task again this year :)
18:12 ignacio TymonR, I hope that u do it :P
18:13 Erilyth I would like to be a mentor as well. Do we have to only stick to the existing projects or could a new project be started and tasks be used for GCI as well?
18:13 ignacio I think that one of our problems last year, was not having "easy" tasks, or at least not that easy as beginner tasks
18:13 walterbender ignacio, it is a hard balance to reach
18:14 I had some "design a turtle project" or "design a Physics project" task that no one did :P
18:14 I thought those would have been popular
18:14 ignacio The point is, should we point advanced students to advanced tasks?
18:14 walterbender ignacio, yes
18:14 ignacio -> But how?
18:14 TymonR walterbender, that's great :) I created it with intent to introduce people to collaborative programming and I hope it worked out well. With some modification it could be used this year too, especially because Sugar has not many beginner tasks
18:14 walterbender we cannot force it, but we can encourage it
18:15 ignacio, I think it is a simple matter of engaging the students in a dialog
18:15 TymonR ignacio, it is a subject of my serious consideration :P
18:16 walterbender anyway, the short-term task is generating some tasks so as to give our application some credibility
18:16 if ignacio sets up the framework from last-year's page, we can all start populating it
18:16 TymonR walterbender, +1 especially when mentors choose winners and amount of finished tasks almost doesn't play any role in this process. we should judge people with their abilities and work done.
18:17 walterbender TymonR, yes
18:17 we need to remind the students of this
18:17 it becomes quite contentious at times
18:17 TymonR it is obvious when someone with advanced programming skills or experience was doing only easy tasks to increase the counter, he doesn't deserve to be the winner
18:18 walterbender (except for ignacio who did more tasks than the rest of the students combined)
18:18 ignacio, the other thing we need to do is recruit students
18:18 ignacio__ <ignacio__!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:18 ignacio__ is now known as ignacio_
18:18 walterbender we need more diversity in who participates
18:19 ignacio_ got disconnected
18:19 walterbender just solicited participation from a school in Thailand
18:19 ignacio_ Cool, we have students from Paraguay
18:19 walterbender ignacio, what you missed:  ignacio, the other thing we need to do is recruit students
18:19 m_anish has quit IRC
18:19 kaametza has quit IRC
18:19 neyder has quit IRC
18:20 ignacio has quit IRC
18:20 sridhar has quit IRC
18:20 icarito has quit IRC
18:20 ajay has quit IRC
18:20 walterbender would be great to have a broad reach
18:20 TymonR walterbender, it is good idea - I can spread a word in my community and I reckon we should also make Sugar Labs' page on Facebook more popular. It is incredibly powerful tool to reach people.
18:20 ignacio_ Well, yes, but most of the students that came last year were not sugar related
18:20 walterbender TymonR, +1
18:20 ignacio_ most of them did the git beginner task and nothing else :/
18:21 walterbender ignacio_, i dont' mind as long as a few do more
18:21 it is not a lot of overhead to manage the beginner tasks
18:21 people have to start somewhere
18:21 ignacio_ But also what I feel, is like previous year students come to win. Not to be mean or something. But its like: XX won ok -> He can't win anymore -> I have the chance
18:21 walterbender but (1) how to get more people to start and (2) encourage them to go to harder tasks
18:21 ignacio_ Thats what I feel with Daksh tbh
18:22 TymonR there is no way to deny them from doing beginner task, for some  it could be a good start, for some an "easy point", for some the end of their adventure with GCI
18:22 ignacio_ But maybe the tasks should point to SUGAR directly (the interface)
18:23 walterbender ignacio_, I don't understand what you mean?
18:23 ignacio_ as example: the git task
18:23 it was just a pull request, not even opening sugar
18:23 walterbender ignacio_, we should try to do a better job with the beginner tasks
18:24 ignacio_ So, my idea: TO edit that task and add something like "Take a screenshot of your sugar running instance, and then submit a pull request"
18:24 walterbender installing SOAS was a beginner task...
18:24 ignacio_ or do something like GSoC, that a screenshot with their name is asked
18:24 walterbender or sugar-build
18:24 ignacio_ Yes, but you only can do 2 tasks
18:24 which one will you prefer if you are only looking for a tshirt or certificate?
18:24 walterbender ignacio_, that could be a first non-beginner task
18:24 ignacio_ The one that requires "a lot of work" or the easy one?
18:24 TymonR ignacio_, yeah that's why I said git task requires a few modifications as it was actually somehow too easy. Maybe it should involve command-line git too>
18:25 walterbender well... we have 1 month to get the details worked out
18:25 meanwhile, we should get some ideas expressed in the wiki
18:26 ignacio_ yes, I will try to edit the wikipage tonight
18:27 sridhar <sridhar!sridhar@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:27 m_anish <m_anish!anish@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:27 kaametza <kaametza!kaametza@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:27 icarito <icarito!bip@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:27 neyder <neyder!bip@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:27 ajay <ajay!bip@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:28 walterbender thanks
18:28 anything else for today?
18:28 ignacio_ nope
18:28 walterbender once ignacio_ gets the page set up, please add your name as a mentor
18:28 AbrahmAB +1
18:29 ignacio_ so, thats it?
18:29 TymonR ok, I will consider my role this year and add myself or... wait until GCI begins :)
18:29 ignacio_ Thanks everyone for attending the meeting :)
18:29 ManashRaja +1
18:30 Thanks :)
18:30 TymonR +1
18:30 walterbender ignacio_, end meeting?
18:30 ignacio_ yay
18:30 3
18:30 walterbender 2
18:30 TymonR thanks everyone and thanks ignacio_ for setting it up
18:30 ignacio_ 1 :)
18:30 #end-meeting
18:30 ignacio_ is now known as ignacio
18:30 ignacio #end-meeting
18:30 meeting Meeting ended Tue Oct 25 18:30:53 2016 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
18:30 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-25T18:04:48.html
18:30 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]16-10-25T18:04:48

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.