Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting meeting, 2012-08-07 15:10:10

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
15:10 meeting_ Meeting started Tue Aug  7 15:10:10 2012 UTC. The chair is erikos. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:10 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
15:10 humitos <humitos!~humitos@201-213-135-73.net.prima.net.ar> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:10 benzea hello everyone
15:11 garycmartin Hi folks
15:12 erikos thanks for being with us
15:12 so I have two things to say from my part:
15:12 - 0.98 schedule
15:12 - maintainers
15:12 anything else people want to bring up?
15:12 m_anish listens eagerly :-)
15:13 benzea erikos: hm, maybe there is some interesting news from GUADEC?
15:13 m_anish erikos, also, any news frm GUADEC
15:13 benzea, beat me to it :P
15:13 erikos sure, did you guys read my blog post?
15:13 garycmartin erikos: yea
15:14 m_anish erikos, you have a blog? (link pls?)
15:14 manuq <manuq!~manuq@host102.186-125-107.telecom.net.ar> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:14 erikos http://erikos.sweettimez.de/20[…]2012-in-a-coruna/
15:14 manuq hi
15:14 erikos m_anish: is on the planet ^
15:14 m_anish erikos, ok
15:14 erikos manuq: you had a GUADEC blog post as well, right?
15:15 benzea hm, I seem to have missed that
15:15 manuq erikos: yes! http://manuq.com.ar/sblog/my-guadec-experience/
15:15 erikos manuq: did you manage to get on the planet already?
15:16 benzea: ^^^ here are two blog posts with summaries
15:16 m_anish erikos, I also wanted to bring up something which should also be on sugar dev's radar... about OLPC XO's using the gnome 3 fallback mode and the regressions it might have over gnome 2.x (but i understand its not strictly a sugar topic)
15:16 manuq erikos: not yet, thanks for the reminder, I'll try bernie in #sugar
15:16 erikos manuq: great
15:17 m_anish: yeah, an OLPC topic, maybe best to ask on the olpc-devel list
15:17 m_anish erikos, gnome-sugar integration has been one objective of our development, and we will probably end up using gnome-3 fallback mode (which I understand isn't even properly maintained atm)
15:17 erikos, ok
15:17 erikos m_anish: yeah, they are looking for a new maintainer indeed
15:18 ok, i hope that is enough GUADEC-food for you as a start
15:18 m_anish :)
15:19 benzea m_anish: well, they hope to be able to drop the fallback mode with llvmpipe, iirc
15:19 m_anish benzea, ok, didn't know that
15:19 erikos #topic 0.98 roadmap
15:19 gonzalo__ benzea, using a pipe, yeah :)
15:19 erikos benzea: yeah, they need to proof that it is working, though ;p
15:19 gonzalo__ or smoking a pipe
15:19 erikos gonzalo__: haha
15:20 benzea gonzalo__: I don't need to smoke to come up with weird stuff ;-)
15:20 erikos I drafted a first roadmap at http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.98/Roadmap
15:20 manuq erikos: great
15:20 erikos well, to tell you upfront, it is as well the final one :))
15:21 so there are a few things to say about this
15:21 kartik_perisetla <kartik_perisetla!~yaaic@42.110.5.129> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:21 erikos (I will send an email as well tosugar-devel with more details)
15:21 (but you guys are privileged to hear first)
15:22 - we do not stick to the 6 month cycle as an exception
15:22 final release is Nov 07
15:22 instead of releasing in September
15:22 m_anish when's the feature acceptance?
15:23 erikos m_anish: smart question ;p
15:23 m_anish erikos, thx for the update btw :-)
15:23 erikos m_anish: it should have been happened already the acceptance
15:23 m_anish: so from my side I care about two things in this cycle:
15:24 - shell port
15:24 - touch support
15:24 and everything else is supplementary to this
15:25 means, if you have a self-contained feature that does not interact with this
15:25 you are good
15:25 if you do, hmmm...hmmm :)
15:25 m_anish hmm, well that's hard, nearly everything would be affected by the shell port :-P
15:25 erikos, has the port already been done (or an ETA)?
15:25 erikos this cycle is an exception, since we (OLPC) have a lot to do to make touch work
15:26 m_anish erikos, +1
15:26 garycmartin erikos: +1!
15:26 erikos (sorry in advance, or congratulations because hopefully it will rock :)
15:26 anyhow, the shell port is on it's way
15:27 the de-hippo stuff is ready, in the review queue
15:27 and manuq has been working on the GTK+ 3 port while I was away
15:27 my plan is: 3-4 weeks for the shell finish (including merging)
15:28 4 weeks of touch features, until the (Feature freeze)
15:28 and then use the 2 weeks until UI/String freeze if we need to do any changes to the stuff we landed
15:29 sounds like a tuff schedule? it is :)
15:29 stops for a moment and waits for reactions
15:29 m_anish erikos, can we make an exception on delaying the feature freeze... as in, it might take us some time to port the many dx features on top of the ported sugar-shell, atleast those which have been approved in the design meetings
15:30 erikos m_anish: delaying for how long?
15:30 garycmartin erikos: Could you say some words about Activity freeze timings?
15:31 m_anish erikos, I don't have a clear picture atm, I suspect we'll need _atleast_ 2-4 weeks after the shell port is done to have all the dx features ported... or should we start that process now?
15:31 erikos garycmartin: if you want them to be in the OLPC build, would be the same timings
15:31 garycmartin erikos: OK, understood!
15:31 erikos garycmartin: great :)
15:32 m_anish erikos, btw, given the circumstances, it seems like a decent roadmap
15:32 erikos m_anish: so the plan is to have the shell ready in 3-4 weeks
15:32 m_anish: that would give you those 4 weeks until feature freeze
15:32 gonzalo__ erikos, 6 weeks from now to activities?
15:32 ajay erikos: The 3G database support is already at http://lists.sugarlabs.org/arc[…]-July/038604.html. It's just pending code-review
15:33 erikos gonzalo__: not really ;p
15:33 gonzalo__ erikos, or 10 weeks?
15:33 ajay erikos: for the "multi-select", I think that should be approved soon (today's design-meeting)?
15:33 erikos gonzalo__: nearly :)
15:33 ajay garycmartin: ^^  :)
15:33 m_anish erikos, hmm, feature freeze is marked as 24 sep 6 week frm now (or maybe i'm missing something)
15:33 erikos gonzalo__: 7 weeks up to the feature freeze
15:33 ajay erikos: the multi-select port shouls take a maximum of 3 days from my side.
15:33 erikos gonzalo__: then 2 more weeks where you can fixup the UI/string of the features you landed
15:34 gonzalo__: without exceptions
15:34 gonzalo__: and then you are in bugfix only period
15:34 garycmartin ajay: I can't +1 it yet from a design point of view. And I've not had a chance to test out your latest patches from over the weekend.
15:34 m_anish erikos, oops, 7 weeks, so seems like a decent enough window (/me stops complaining :P)
15:34 erikos gonzalo__: I thought first of doing a big freeze in 9 weeks, but I hope decoupling makes it clearer
15:34 ajay garycmartin: ok, :-\
15:35 erikos m_anish: yeah, time is running out
15:35 m_anish garycmartin, hopefully our pipeline will be done by then (~4 weeks frm now)
15:35 erikos m_anish: we are driven this time to get something ready for the new hardware
15:35 m_anish erikos, +1
15:36 manuq yes, I hope everyone can understand the implications of such a big task
15:36 gonzalo__ erikos, in activities, feature freeze is major features, and we have until to Oct 22 to land bug fixes
15:36 erikos I hope for 1.0 (or maybe (0.100)) we can get back to the 6 month model
15:37 gonzalo__: yes, you have until oct 22 for bug fixes
15:37 gonzalo__ erikos, ok
15:37 erikos gonzalo__: and then until nov 07 for approved bug fixes (does it show a regression)
15:38 gonzalo__ erikos, ok
15:38 erikos gonzalo__: a) i hope that is enough b) does it make sense?
15:38 gonzalo__: anything you would do different?
15:38 gonzalo__ erikos, i hope we have the regresions solved earlier :/
15:39 erikos, Oct 22 is ok with me
15:39 erikos gonzalo__: normally activities besides core ones (e.g. Browse) are decoupled from that, but as the OLPC release will be in december you have to be ready by then anyhow
15:39 gonzalo__: great
15:40 m_anish gonzalo__, just curious, I'm aware there's a big gtk3 porting effort on right now... what's the ETA for that (feel free to answer it after the meeting ;-)) and any plans of 'touch-porting' after that
15:40 erikos gonzalo__: I hope the separation between Feature freeze and UI freeze will help us to make changes to features once they landed (sometimes you find an issue only then that does effect UI/String changes) without having to do the exception limbo
15:41 garycmartin: the design meeting is in 40 minutes?
15:41 s/40/50
15:41 garycmartin erikos: Yep
15:41 erikos ok
15:41 gonzalo__ m_anish, is a good question :)
15:41 m_anish, actually, we have decided today stop porting activities
15:42 m_anish, in the next days, i will publish the ported activities in aslo as 0.98 activities
15:42 m_anish, testing is appreciated, we want detect regresions ASAP
15:43 m_anish gonzalo__, okay, what's the best way to keep track of porting and release statuses
15:43 gonzalo__ m_anish, http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Acti[…]ate_of_Activities
15:43 m_anish gonzalo__, since we have a QA person looking to test them heavily :-)
15:43 gonzalo__ m_anish, anything like that? ^
15:43 m_anish, great
15:44 erikos m_anish: do you have a list of features you want to land with priorities maybe?
15:44 m_anish gonzalo__, which table is being maintained, OLPC/AC/Gary.. All? :-)
15:44 gonzalo__ m_anish, if they find regressions in activities after the port, please tell them add the keyword "gtk3" to the ticket
15:45 m_anish gonzalo__, for eg. chat version is listed as v76 whereas on ASLO is v77
15:45 gonzalo__ m_anish, the tables are separated by groups pf maintainers (we count Gary and Walter as groups because of their productivity) :)
15:45 m_anish also is the case with some other activities
15:45 gonzalo__ m_anish, great, you can uptade this page
15:45 erikos would like to be a 'group' as well ;p
15:46 m_anish gonzalo__, ideally i want the activitity guys to do it :-P
15:46 gonzalo__ erikos, only when you finish the shell port ;)
15:46 m_anish, perfect, push them! :)
15:47 m_anish gonzalo__, okay, i think you answered my questin though, the link is to be considered golden when it comes to tracking releases
15:47 thx
15:47 erikos gonzalo__: that is a fair prize!
15:48 gonzalo__ m_anish, your testing guys are in sugar-devel or testing ml?
15:48 erikos likes how gonzalo__ adds plurals ;p
15:48 m_anish gonzalo__, we're in early stages there... you'll hear from them soon :-)
15:48 gonzalo__ is liberal in the use of "s" :)
15:49 erikos m_anish: as long as it is not again the 1000 indian developers that show up over night we are ok :)
15:49 m_anish erikos, i had no idea where they came from or where they went :-P
15:49 gonzalo__ erikos, the mythical 1000 developers :)
15:49 m_anish gonzalo__, hehe :)
15:50 erikos add one and you have a tale ;p
15:50 great, so m_anish you are still coordinating the feature efforts at AC it looks like
15:50 if you look at them, take the dates into account ;p
15:51 I will be fully focused on the touch stuff (have to), so silbe should be with you in review and such for them
15:51 I trust him here to do the right thing
15:52 and which leads me to the next (and final topic):
15:52 #topic maintainers
15:52 m_anish erikos, i'll try to be as involved as possible
15:52 erikos, one more topic as well (new volunteers : kartik_perisetla ) :)
15:53 erikos ok, if there is a new person that coordinates that effort at AC, please transfer your wisdom :)
15:53 adds Anish's topic
15:53 kartik_perisetla Hi Team
15:53 gonzalo__ hello!
15:53 erikos I sent a proposal to the ml to add manuq as a maintainer, just reply on the thread what you think
15:54 subject: "Proposal: Adding Manuel Quiñones as a Sugar shell maintainer"
15:54 #topic new contributors
15:54 hi kartik_perisetla, welcome
15:54 do you want to introduce yourself?
15:54 kartik_perisetla Hi erikos
15:55 manuq kartik_perisetla: hi
15:55 kartik_perisetla sure. I am a software engg by profession
15:55 who is passionate abt sugar. :-)
15:56 I am pretty much exited to contribut and learn from here
15:57 silbe kartik_perisetla: Welcome to Sugar Labs!
15:58 kartik_perisetla I am working on activity tht will help children to develop web pages and webapps
15:58 thnx silbe!
15:58 erikos kartik_perisetla: very interesting
15:58 kartik_perisetla: I actually had an idea about integrating that directly into Browse
15:58 m_anish kartik_perisetla, welcome!
15:59 kartik_perisetla currently i am discussing it on thread. got many valuable feedbacks. :-)
15:59 erikos kartik_perisetla: so that the browse activity is not just about 'consuming' it would be as well about 'creating' (like the modes in memorize for example)
15:59 kartik_perisetla sure , we can do that.
15:59 erikos kartik_perisetla: great, a good approach
16:00 kartik_perisetla thanks erikos.
16:00 i would like to thank daniel for this :-)
16:00 erikos it might overload Browse, but a path to consider at least
16:00 tch___ has quit IRC
16:01 kartik_perisetla I will come with features and design. also, I will share my thoughts on sugar-devel
16:02 tch___ <tch___!~tch@209.27.23.190.res.adsl.dyn.click.com.py> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:02 m_anish kartik_perisetla, sounds promising :-)
16:03 erikos great
16:03 kartik_perisetla :-D
16:03 erikos I guess we can wrap up now...
16:03 next time we will announce again the meeting properly
16:03 but was good to have you guys for an informal chat
16:03 starts countdown
16:03 5
16:03 silbe 4
16:03 m_anish 4
16:04 benzea 3
16:04 ajay 3
16:04 garycmartin 2
16:04 kartik_perisetla 2
16:04 erikos hehe
16:04 garycmartin :)
16:04 manuq 1
16:04 erikos #endmeeting
16:04 meeting_ Meeting ended Tue Aug  7 16:04:29 2012 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
16:04 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-07T15:10:10.html
16:04 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]12-08-07T15:10:10

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster