Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting meeting, 2012-01-03 21:12:16

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
21:12 meeting Meeting started Tue Jan  3 21:12:16 2012 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
21:12 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
21:12 walterbender let's try to be focused in respect to everyone's time
21:12 #topic board positions
21:13 As requested I checked with Bert and he is willing to continue as Ombudsman
21:13 Also I had discussions with both Robert Fadel and Laura Vargas about the finance team coordinator position
21:14 note that we are not calling the position "Treasurer" :)
21:14 cjl :-)
21:15 walterbender A bit of background on Robert: he was the Finance Director of both the MIT Media Lab and OLPC
21:15 His last day at OLPC was the last day of 2011
21:15 He is willing to manage our finances and interface with SFC as he wants to keep a hand in the project
21:16 Re Laura, her interests are more geared towards development and models, not the day-to-day management.
21:16 dogi <dogi!~omen@honeydew.cictr.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:16 cjl He's got a lot of very relevant experience.
21:16 walterbender So I think they can compliment each other.
21:17 cjb and perhaps also complement each other :)
21:17 cjl or even complement each other
21:17 walterbender Yes, Robert brings lots of experience.
21:18 So I proposed to both of them that Robert be the one to manage the finances and the SFC relationship and Laura work with him on strategies for the organization
21:18 They both seemed comfortable with that
21:18 Comments? Questons?
21:18 alsroot nope
21:18 cjl Sounds good to me.
21:19 bkuhn I'd like to say this is a great position to have..
21:19 ... I wish more Conservancy projects had someone appointed to do this, it's an important interaction point with Conservancy for projects.
21:19 walterbender Not sure we need a motion as much as just to ACK that we are heading down this path...
21:20 cjl Is the formality of a vote required / recommended for re-confirming bertf as Ombudsman?
21:20 walterbender We may want to establish some level of autonomy for Robert down the road.
21:20 cjl: I don't think so... we don't appoint team leaders...
21:21 cjl walterbender: ok
21:21 bkuhn walterbender: the only thing I'd suggest a formality for is if you want the Finance Coordinator to approve expenses without SLOBs approval.
21:21 walterbender bkuhn: I do want to get there, but I'd like Robert to propose the mechanism
21:21 bkuhn walterbender: np.
21:21 walterbender so I'd prefer to wait
21:22 cjl I like everything I'm hearing so far.
21:22 walterbender OK. Anything else on the board position topic?
21:22 3
21:22 cjl What about Bernie's $200 limit?
21:22 Or is tha separate
21:22 walterbender cjl: that is still in Bernie's hands at the moment...
21:23 cjl ok
21:23 good
21:23 walterbender cjl: part of what I would like to ask Robert to review
21:23 cjl yes
21:23 walterbender 3
21:23 2
21:23 1
21:24 #topic SomosAZUCAR letter
21:24 cjl Want me to talk/
21:24 walterbender without Laura or Icarito, this one is going to have to remain unsettled
21:24 maybe we can complete it by email
21:25 but just to update:
21:25 We were asked to ACK the role of SomosAZUCAR in Peru.
21:25 alsroot asks KaiXo to call to icarito to know if they are fine w/ proposed email
21:25 walterbender Whereas the status of our Local Labs is currently under review by Tony and Bradley,
21:26 cjl and I drafted a letter that would come from me, as founder of SL, rather than from SL/SFC
21:26 we circulated the draft to the board for comment.
21:27 have heard a +1 from Gerald. and from Chris and me :)
21:27 nothing from our colleagues in Peru
21:27 alsroot +1 as well
21:27 walterbender thanks alsroot
21:27 cjl I truly hope i addresses their need.
21:28 walterbender so we have "the votes"  but I want to make sure it works for them before we execute
21:28 cjl The discussion on IRC helped me develop a better understanding of what they wer elooking for and icarito and bernie asked me to take a shot at drafting something.
21:29 We'll just have to see what they have to say.
21:29 walterbender I think we can close this by email without another meeting...
21:29 cjl I hope so
21:30 walterbender anything else to discuss today?
21:30 on that topic?
21:30 alsroot I see, we just need an ACK the SomosAZUCAR people and execute at the moment
21:30 ?
21:30 walterbender alsroot: yes.
21:30 alsroot ok
21:31 walterbender alsroot: If yo can ask them to whom I should address the letter, that too would be helpful
21:31 cjl I thin kthey want a 'To Whom It May Concern"
21:31 alsroot KaiXo/neyder is the contact, will ping them
21:31 walterbender cjl: I can do that... como se dice "To Whom It May Concern
21:32 cjl "A quien pueda interesar"  ??
21:32 bkuhn I've seen "a quién corresponda"
21:32 cjl Look back to their original proposal, it migh thave a Salutation
21:32 walterbender alsroot: As soon as I get the green light, I'll send the letter.
21:33 alsroot walterbender: fine
21:33 walterbender OK...
21:33 moving on...
21:33 #topic local labs
21:33 not sure if Bradley and Tony have anything new to report yet
21:35 apparently not :)
21:35 keynote2k Still doing research and benchmarking
21:35 walterbender I'll coordinate with them as to when would make sense to have then next discussion
21:36 I have one other topic for today, just in brief
21:36 #topic sugarlabs.org
21:36 cjl shoot
21:36 walterbender christian and I were discussing this earlier today
21:37 he is anxious to move forward with the new design, but we are still lacking content
21:37 but I know there is great content out there...
21:37 cjl What sort of content?
21:38 walterbender for example, the Butia team posted some great videos of kids using Sugar to program their XO/Ardinuo robots...
21:38 video and images...
21:38 cjl ok
21:38 walterbender so please think about how we can get material together
21:38 my earlier calls have not resulted in much action :P
21:38 JT4sugar: can you take a lead position on this?
21:39 cjl A similar request went out on OLPC Support gang, let's see what is turned up there.
21:39 walterbender I can talk to OLPC too, to see what material they have that we could use...
21:39 I am hoping our Local Labs have cool stuff too
21:39 JT4sugar walterbender, Yes I have a document from Christian to send out that lays out design and areas of need. Will get out tomorrow
21:40 walterbender JT4sugar: thanks
21:40 also, JT4sugar: did the project reports from that  writing class ever get submitted?
21:41 I saw a few in passing
21:41 #topic misc
21:41 cjl A quick point on finance.  ChristophD was looking for more updated numbers than the wiki (from Sept?).  I think that means updating with the SugarCampLima outlays and any new donations.  Do we just wait on that too?
21:41 JT4sugar walterbender, Also have those I am waiting on one of the students to write up the summary and we will then proceed hopefully by early next week
21:42 walterbender I need to check with Robert... seems to be the first order of business
21:42 I also need to discuss one other finance issue
21:43 someone incurred a ~$1K expense in support of getting our Sugar Labs bike team effort underway last year.
21:44 the donation to cover that expense was not able to be processed for some technical reasons
21:44 so I made a personal donation last week to cover that expense so the donor doesn't have to swallow it personally
21:44 I presume that SLOBs is OK with that
21:45 cjl I'm good wit hit.
21:46 walterbender while people are deliberating...
21:46 want to ACK the great progress that erikos, manuq, gonzalo, dsd, et al. are making on 0.96
21:47 we are at freeze at the end of the month; there is a build available with the gtk-3 bits if you want to play
21:47 cjl Haven't tried os3 yet, but I did download it.
21:47 manuq walterbender: and you!  always a step further, now with Abacus ported to GTK+ 3
21:49 walterbender anything else for today? wanna release cjb to get back to his CES prep :P
21:49 and I need to merge my gtk-3 version of abacus to mainline and push the new release :)
21:49 bkuhn That reimbursement you mention should go out this week... the donation from Walter was already received at the end of last year.
21:50 cjl I'm good, hoping to hear positive feedback from Peru.
21:51 KaiXo><alsroot> bueno le digo q envie el correo
21:51 walterbender OK... let's call it a day.
21:51 cjl I think that is second hand from icarito
21:52 Sounds promising, bu twe'll finish that in e-mail.
21:52 walterbender I will discuss with Robert the finances and we can schedule our next meeting around that
21:52 maybe in two weeks?
21:52 cjl sure
21:53 walterbender and I will finish the Puno letter off line, keeping SLOBs in the loop.
21:53 cjl count us out?
21:55 walterbender 3
21:55 2
21:55 1
21:55 thanks all...
21:55 happy new year
21:55 let's make 2012 rock!!
21:55 cjl g'nite
21:55 walterbender #end-meeting
21:55 meeting Meeting ended Tue Jan  3 21:55:36 2012 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
21:55 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-03T21:12:16.html
21:55 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]12-01-03T21:12:16

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster