Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting meeting, 2011-04-12 14:03:53

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
14:03 meeting Meeting started Tue Apr 12 14:03:53 2011 UTC. The chair is SeanDaly. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:03 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
14:04 JT4sugar Hello
14:04 pbrobinson is not surprised when it comes to those sorts of things with google!
14:04 raffaelreichelt I am asking because then I have to update records for Linuxtag - just in case they want to get in contact with someone
14:05 SeanDaly raffaelreichelt: our new press PR phone number is: +1 (617) 500-9610
14:05 raffaelreichelt O.K. Thanks!
14:05 SeanDaly this is a softphone voicemail box; soundfile of message is sent to pr@sugarlabs.org
14:06 mail to that address is cc'd to myself & waltrer
14:06 walter
14:07 so we have restored functionality identical to Gizmo5 at comparable expense (approx 5 USD/month)
14:08 by the way voip.ms account is scalable, allows for example setup of a temporary phone number in cities around the world
14:09 garycmartin SeanDaly: shall I update the marketing page wiki with the new number?
14:09 (says +1.857.265.1100 just now)
14:09 SeanDaly pbrobinson had sent me helpful info about SipGate, turned out voip.ms more flexible
14:10 garycmartin: please yes by all means, I've already mailed Christian re the press page http://www.sugarlabs.org/index.php?template=press
14:10 garycmartin SeanDaly: OK will do, I'll have a quick search to see if the old number is elsewhere as well.
14:11 SeanDaly garycmartin: thanks for that... it will exist forever on the eReleases and PR Newswire pages of our previous releases, but too bad
14:12 pbrobinson SeanDaly: I get a generic message "person not at extension" when calling from the UK. Is that the current message?
14:12 SeanDaly pbrobinson: quite, I created it only an hour or two ago as I said in mail to marketing list I haven't had time to update with outgoing msg yet
14:13 will try that tonight from better quality landline; apparently it's even possible to upload a WAV file directly for that (!)
14:13 pbrobinson SeanDaly: thought so, just wanted to double check it was reachable from the UK
14:14 SeanDaly just for info, volume is quite small on that number, but of the few phone calls that come in, some are from key journalists and our ability to react immediately has made a difference in getting press
14:15 ok i'd like to discuss Vuelta Ciclista del Uruguay microsite unless any other questions re softphone?
14:16 raffaelreichelt No more questions on softphone from my side ...
14:17 SeanDaly JT4sugar: do you know how JT & Mike are doing with the Wordpress acct?
14:17 JT4sugar SeanDaly, I had sent them email for verification yesterday that going forward
14:18 SeanDaly, Return email from Mike said wasn't sure what we were asking. Resent that they should set up blog and email you and Christian directly with any questions
14:19 SeanDaly, That was late yesterday afternoon East Coast time. Will look to verify again today.
14:20 SeanDaly JT4sugar: it's vital they get that done, because redirect from vueltaciclista.sugarlabs.org needs to be active & propagated by Thursday
14:21 Press push is planned for Friday morning re Sunday's meeting, but we need to test & iton out workflow kinks & be able to demo to journalists
14:21 s/iton/iron
14:21 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Understand-I will check soon as we get done
14:21 SeanDaly ok regarding Friday's PR:
14:22 I have established contact with Marya Pongrace who does PR for Slipstream
14:23 they are on board for quote from CEO Jonathan Vaughters
14:23 I have also asked about jerseys availability as prizes for the kids contest but no response on that yet
14:24 dirakx1 <dirakx1!rafael@> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:24 SeanDaly Gabriel Eirea also sent me text I can glean a quote from
14:25 reminder of PR objectives:
14:25 * Raise awareness of Slipstream's sponsorship of Sugar Labs in the tech and education press & blogosphere. We want to communicate the innovation angle (they pay us in "sponsorship")
14:26 * Remind everyone that Uruguay is to date the only country to have achieved full saturation with One Laptop Per Child XO laptops running Suga
14:26 r
14:26 * Promote the EduJAM! Sugar developers conference which will take place in Montevideo from May 5-7 and where prizes for microsite contest will be awarded
14:27 Now, what is tricky about this is that in one sense it is very "local".. the race & contest & conference are happening in UY
14:29 However, as Walter had pointed out to me some time back, the visibility of pro bike racing teams is such that this could possibly generate press coverage beyond tech press where we are known
14:30 generally speaking we put effort into PR pushes because the reach is orders of magnitude greater than the expense, compared to other promotional methods
14:30 I'd like opnions please on the visual which should accompany PR... I was thinking of the jersey which has our logo so nicely embiggened:
14:31 lucian <lucian!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:31 garycmartin SeanDaly: Do you have a link to a photo? Love to see that.
14:31 SeanDaly http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Cyclelycra.jpg
14:32 garycmartin Fab, very tastefully done.
14:32 SeanDaly what I like about it is: it says "race" and it says "sugarlabs"
14:32 lucian_ <lucian_!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:32 pbrobinson I think it would be useful to get some decent photos of the pro bike teams in the tops. That's where you'll get more interest from the not so sugarlabs aware
14:33 SeanDaly pbrobinson: agree, the jersey is new as of 6 weeks or so ago need to look into that
14:33 JT4sugar Like the jersey logo and shows we are in partnership. Team photo if Slipstream has one
14:34 SeanDaly dream photo will be after the race... a kid with an XO roadside as a Garmin-Cervelo rider passes :D
14:35 http://www.slipstreamsports.com/
14:35 http://www.flickr.com/photos/slipstreamsports
14:35 lucian has quit IRC
14:35 walterbender <walterbender!~webchat@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:37 SeanDaly greets walterbender
14:37 walterbender hi... sorry I am late
14:37 pbrobinson would be interesting to see if we can get some kids filming some of it on the XO and if there's some cool footage to get it on youtube (or equiv) and try to get it somewhat viral.
14:38 lucian_ is now known as lucian
14:39 SeanDaly http://www.shopslipstreamsport[…]d/945/image/3452/
14:39 with their medals half of them have "sugar abs"
14:40 http://www.shopslipstreamsport[…]abs-jersey-1.html
14:40 garycmartin http://www.flickr.com/photos/s[…]ports/5593103376/
14:40 lol same image :-)
14:41 SeanDaly I really like that image... Sugar Labs champions
14:43 still wondering however if there isn't a more "Uruguayan" image we could find.. this PR will be spotlight on UY
14:44 pbrobinson that would depend on the image they want to portray :)
14:45 SeanDaly pbrobinson: as I understand it the articles the kids will submit will have photos but not video but agree video would be great, could put on our dailymotion channel
14:45 http://www.dailymotion.com/sugarlabs
14:48 I haven't even got a draft yet of the PR and deadline is 6PM EST... hoping some of you can help me later today
14:49 JT4sugar Will be available till around 5pmEST
14:49 SeanDaly Gabriel and Sebastian will assist with Spanish translation, speaking of which I need to find out if eReleases can do Spanish PR Newswire
14:50 for example OLPC-A in Miami usually uses BusinessWire in en / es / pt to be sure of transmission in LatAm
14:51 i'd like to solicit more advice please, concerning categories
14:51 http://www.ereleases.com/lists/index.html
14:51 we usually send to the following categories:
14:53 * Education
14:53 * High Tech-Software
14:53 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!~CanoeBerr@c-66-30-2-16.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:54 SeanDaly it would be natural to add:
14:54 *Sports - Bicycling
14:54 tch has quit IRC
14:55 SeanDaly and perhaps worthwhile to add:
14:55 * Hispanic
14:56 reminder, we get two categories included in base rate but it's $100 a pop for each additional category
14:57 pbrobinson Sports - Outdoors?
14:57 SeanDaly how this works: journalists are inundated with dozens of press releases evrey day so they usually filter by category and often refliter by keyword
14:57 refilter
14:58 walterbender seems that sports and technology would be a less common angle that might get their interest???
15:00 SeanDaly walterbender: most journalists have a "beat", what they usually cover... so a bike industry journo will filter for that category while a tech journo won't... however, it's true that for the few journalists who will filter for both, our PR will be prominently displayed in the day's package sent by PR Newswire
15:01 actually I need to ask eReleases about Hispanic category... i'd want to publish in Spanish but that might mean additional charge if they can even do that
15:02 I am hoping tech journalists will find the angle & visual sufficiently offbeat to mention it
15:03 that said we need to fight perception we are a fancy startup, counting on Slipstream quote to position as CSR (corporate social responsibility)
15:04 I'm monopolizing channel today but it's really later in a few hours I will need help on a shared Google doc of PR draft :-)
15:04 JT4sugar There is a Nonprofit wire
15:05 SeanDaly need to run soon... are there any outstanding questions/topics, especially concerning microsite or PR?
15:06 JT4sugar Will work follow up with RIT guys
15:07 SeanDaly JT4sugar: eReleases has told me in the past that category is more like for nonprofit "industry"... the trick is to limit number of categories while having effective ones since the cost goes up quickly ($100 per cat) & I am financing out of pocket
15:08 JT4sugar Understand
15:09 SeanDaly this is also why deadline is tonight... D-3 is $200 for 500 words, D-2 is $300, D-1 is $400
15:09 each additional 100 words= $100
15:09 several of us remember meeting deadlines by shaving off those last ten words too much ;-)
15:10 JT4sugar SeanDaly, If there is anything in PR going out that RIT team needs to know please send them reminder email
15:12 SeanDaly JT4sugar: there will certainly be the e-mail for kids to send to: concurso@rapceibal.info
15:13 JT4sugar: and, the short form URL: www.sugarlabs.org/vueltaciclista which will redirect to http://vueltaciclista.sugarlabs.org which itself will redirect transparently (keeping URL) to Wordpress-hosted blog site
15:14 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Am I correct that all of that was in earlier emails sent to them?
15:15 SeanDaly JT4sugar: yes indeed, several times even :D
15:15 and in Sunday's meeting: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]11-04-10T16:03:46
15:15 JT4sugar SeanDaly, That's what I thought so I hope we are good am waiting response
15:16 SeanDaly ok need to sign off will mail Marketing list later with call for editing help!
15:16 raffaelreichelt_ <raffaelreichelt_!~raffael@p4FE5AE6B.dip.t-dialin.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:16 raffaelreichelt has quit IRC
15:16 raffaelreichelt_ is now known as raffaelreichelt
15:16 JT4sugar Sounds Good-Write Well as you always do!!
15:17 SeanDaly shucks, the problem is packing newsworthy info concisely... and every copywriter needs editors :D
15:18 garycmartin Thanks for the meeting Sean, will try and keep an eye on email later.
15:18 SeanDaly I will also update the press list with journalists who covered SL/Slipstream already
15:18 ok countdown starting...
15:19 (honor due to Yuri Gagarin today even tho the soviets didn't count down like Nasa ;-)
15:19 5....
15:19 4...
15:20 3...
15:20 2...
15:22 #endmeeting
15:22 meeting Meeting ended Tue Apr 12 15:22:21 2011 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
15:22 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-12T14:03:53.html
15:22 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]11-04-12T14:03:53

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.