Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting meeting, 2011-04-05 14:05:39

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
14:05 meeting Meeting started Tue Apr  5 14:05:39 2011 UTC. The chair is SeanDaly. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:05 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
14:05 raffael Great, Thanks
14:06 SeanDaly Raffael has stepped up to organize our presence at LinuxTag 2011
14:06 I'm sorry I didn't help with that I hope I can help now
14:07 my understanding is that our booth gear is in storage & unavailable at Simon's
14:07 and he is out of the country?
14:07 walterbender <walterbender!~webchat@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:07 raffael Yes
14:07 SeanDaly greets walterbender
14:07 that's a pity because the precise reason I bought that gear was for booth events in Germany esp. LinuxTag
14:08 have we asked Simon if someone else can collect the rollup banner and balloon tree?
14:08 raffael I thing I can buy some branded ballons for us, tony will prepare some kind of posters explaining school envirnment thats all at the moment
14:08 SeanDaly #link http://www.linuxtag.org/2011/
14:08 raffael I asked him already - seems like there is no chance
14:09 SeanDaly raffael: I have a supply of branded balloons, mail me an address I will send
14:09 raffael: we also have a geat poster in SVG ready for local printing
14:10 looking for link on wiki
14:10 satellit__ http://people.sugarlabs.org/Tg[…]yer_englisch.pdf?
14:11 SeanDaly #link http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/M[…]eam/Booth_Banners
14:12 raffael O.K. I will try to print this materials here in munich
14:12 SeanDaly satellit__: yes that's the handout flyer we used last, perhaps in need of an update, but fine as is
14:13 I have one of the A0 posters in storage, but pretty beat-up after doing 3 conferences probably best to reprint locally
14:13 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!~CanoeBerr@c-66-30-2-16.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:13 SeanDaly greets CanoeBerry
14:14 note, it's not SVG but vector PDF
14:14 looks sweet even blown up huge
14:14 raffael BTW is someone going to join us at Linuxtag? I need to order Tickets then.
14:14 SeanDaly thanks again to garycmartin who had done those
14:15 I'm not sure I can make it... need to count vacation days
14:16 raffael is this a stand in a shared booth, or ?
14:17 raffael I guess yes - the linuxtag Porjec tem will decide this. last time it was shared with skolelinux and squeak
14:17 SeanDaly cool
14:18 raffael tony wants to setup a complete school environment. we will have a school server 6 XO's and some netbooks hoepfully integrating with soas
14:19 SeanDaly that's fabulous
14:21 when I was there in 2009 we got a lot of attention by wandering the halls with two XOs doing "Distance", the buzzing sound brought trails of visitors as we returned to the booth
14:23 looking for my Flickr photostream but it seems to have disappeared
14:23 raffael Great Idea! The XO's still work fine as some kind of eyecatcher.
14:23 SeanDaly having rotten experiences lately with online stuff disappearing
14:23 remind me pls, opening date of LinuxTag is early May?
14:24 raffael Its 2011/05/11
14:24 walterbender SeanDaly: is there a banner somewhere in the Western Hemisphere? (I am thinking of the Montevideo event)
14:25 raffael Tony is there ...
14:27 SeanDaly my Flickr photostream #link http://www.flickr.com/photos/3[…]2157620524327203/
14:28 walterbender: fraid not, I had made up two at around 400 EUR each, kept one and given the other to Simon which is why it's a pity we can't dig it out for Linuxtag
14:29 walterbender SeanDaly: np
14:29 raffael O.K. then: Thanks a lot!  send you my postage address (for the balloons). If someone has some spare materials for our booth would be great. sorry, need  to leave now bye.
14:29 SeanDaly it's heavy to ship $$$ otherwise I would do so but perhaps I could look into a rollup banner provider in Boston area? Then you could pick up
14:30 raffael: many thanks for stepping up!
14:31 satellit__: did you want to add an item to agenda?
14:32 satellit__ not at this time except have updated http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit to make it more teacher friendly
14:32 SeanDaly I'd like to discuss Uruguay race (bizarrely I called it Venezuela race in agenda... need more coffee)
14:32 time is short
14:34 Gabriel Eirea replied saying could IRC on weekend but is concerned about easy enough workflow for children
14:34 no content = no microsite
14:35 I had imagined the microsite as a little planet to locally hosted blogs but that will require someone locally to collate/moderate
14:35 I guess next step is to organize an IRC meeting but do we have a plan B?
14:38 walterbender no Plan B that I know of
14:38 JT4sugar SeanDaly, If kids sent to email as suggested could they be transfered to blog-Copy&paste? Or automated?
14:39 satellit__ dedicated wiki page? for blogs
14:39 SeanDaly JT4sugar: Gabriel's question was, could that be automated
14:40 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Do we know if they can?
14:40 SeanDaly I'm not sure what best technical solution is... idea was a contest and best article or articles would win prize (hopefully team jersey in kid size)
14:40 JT4sugar: can what?
14:40 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Can emails be automated into a blog?
14:40 SeanDaly JT4sugar: look at his mail from 5/31
14:41 3/31
14:41 JT4sugar: no idea how that can be done
14:41 that's Gabriel's question
14:42 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Sounds like we need IRC meeting with them to understand what kind of resources they will have on ground then try to decide what's possible
14:43 SeanDaly yes, in mail Gabriel said weekend best, not so good for me can depends on when
14:45 JT4sugar SeanDaly, I believe that was last weekend referring to. Try to set up something for this week? Race starts 10 days. Anything on Jersey from Garmin-Cervello?
14:46 SeanDaly JT4sugar: you are on cc for everything... I haven't contacted Garmin-Cervelo in the absence of a plan
14:46 this is why I say time is short
14:47 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Think will be talking to Christian and RIT team in morning I will try figure out email/blog possibilities
14:49 SeanDaly, If email based submission question is can we get local team in Uruguay to go through emails and put up best to be judged on blog.
14:49 SeanDaly JT4sugar: I am not comfortable imagining tech solutions with our limited resources
14:49 JT4sugar: yes that's right
14:52 JT4sugar SeanDaly, I don't see it as imagining, they will either say Yes that's no problem or that's a technical hurdle we have no time for. If that's the case emails to Uruguay team on ground to post on blog seems to be only option unless you have other ideas
14:53 SeanDaly JT4sugar: there's just the question of which URL to communicate; i had though of a subdomain to sl.o but perhaps better to indicate blog URL if that's what they can do
14:55 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Christian idea for website was to have event portal built in so would be directed through it as I understand
14:56 SeanDaly JT4sugar: yes, but I don't see that as ready by race start date
14:57 satellit__ SeanDaly: e-mail: Can I add requirements from Marketing for SoaS release? Peter
14:58 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Sounded like event portal piece could be the rest no but think the way Christian was thinking about it was this template that could be ready for race could be used for future events when full site revamp done
14:59 SeanDaly JT4sugar: that's a backend question... my question is, what URL do we communicate. If local blog, probably best to communicate that address
15:01 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Believe we are trying for Skypa call 10amEST tomorrow Christian/RIT we can get more direct answers then if you can join. URL can be set up to look local then redirect I believe?
15:02 SeanDaly JT4sugar: Yes I should be available for call. Redirect nearly always possible, just need to consider URL to communicate vs. persistent URL ppl will bookmark
15:03 satellit__: yes saw that I'm not sure time for that discussion today...
15:03 JT4sugar SeanDaly, We can move to next Agenda item
15:03 satellit__ ok
15:03 SeanDaly thanks I am short on time
15:04 need to discuss softphone problem
15:04 Google pulled a fast one on Gizmo5 users, gave short termination notice with no possibility I could find to keep existing phone number
15:05 Google also dropped international payment; international callout, and local numbers outside USA
15:05 They are very unserious about continuity of service which leads me to seek a better provider
15:07 looking for link
15:07 #link http://voip.ms/
15:08 alskfj <alskfj!~webchat@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:08 JT4sugar SeanDaly, What are options? When change PR number just adding to next PR release will that be issue?
15:08 SeanDaly JT4sugar: options are we restart from zero, too bad for old phone number
15:09 alskfj has left #sugar-meeting
15:09 SeanDaly JT4sugar: not dramatic, just unfortunate... all our online spidered indexed previous PR now has a dead phone number
15:10 reminder of our setup:
15:10 we use number as voicemail box,
15:10 incoming calls generate a wav file which is then forwarded to pr@sugarlabs.org
15:11 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Would you wait for new PR piece to put out # or would you alert contacts that we have updated services and have new#
15:11 SeanDaly and that address forwards to myself & walterbender (+ whomever else can assist with press contact)
15:12 JT4sugar: no, rule of thumb is you don't bother contacts unless you have news; we just nee to say "NOTE NEW PHONE NUMBER" for awhile
15:13 for action I propose to look over pricing at provider above for East Coast US and Europe local phone numbers
15:14 ideally, Cambridge/Boston + London (or Paris), forwarding with same rules
15:14 idea is to encourage phone contact across more timezones
15:15 JT4sugar Makes sense
15:16 SeanDaly it seems callin service with forwarding is cheap, I just hope soundfile via e-mail possible - this was a great system we had with Gizmo5 and on more than one occasion allowed us to call back influential journalists very quickly
15:18 JT4sugar Is Skype a possibility? You could get messages on your IPhone Skype app Yes?
15:19 SeanDaly I don't know, does Skype offer "real" telephone numbers in Boston and London`?
15:21 for example, Gizmo5 had "screen names" or identifiers like Skype, but we didn't care about that, what we want is a real telephone number ppl can dial with any phone (even antiquated analog ;-)
15:21 needs to go soon...
15:22 JT4sugar They have business services which can offer multiple numbers but not sure how cost structure would match up with other options
15:23 SeanDaly, Will verify time with Christian and RIT for tomorrow and let you know
15:23 SeanDaly we need cheap.. I fronted the $55 last time but I can't support marketing costs indefinitely
15:24 JT4sugar: ok thanks
15:24 I propose to place SoaS on agenda of next meeting
15:25 satellit_gn3 great
15:25 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Understanding my own monthly cost for worldwide skype$12.95  I think there is probably cheaper option
15:26 SeanDaly Peter, Fred G, satellit__ may want to see if marketing possibilities exist, although I'm doubtful
15:26 satellit_gn3 peter is getting it working now that he is back
15:26 SeanDaly JT4sugar: yes needs to be cheapskate which I believe voip.ms is for callin only
15:26 satellit_gn3 I have been testing it on gnome3-shell f15 (this machine)
15:27 SeanDaly satellit_gn3: my main concern (not the only one) is that reliability is paramount, whereas the approach chosen is bleeding-edge
15:28 JT4sugar Seems to be if it can be used reliably and easily by Teachers we want to get to know Sugar and has alot of activities working(Don't have to use command line to get working)
15:28 SeanDaly I still demo with Blueberry
15:28 satellit__ also: we have many community distributions which use sugar-desktop:http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/S[…]ity_Distributions
15:29 trisquel 4.1 is great
15:29 SeanDaly I myself have much more faith in VM solutions, and indeed a different marketing approach
15:29 but can't discuss that now need to go :-(
15:30 satellit__ they are on the wiki and work...
15:30 satellit_gn3 thanks
15:30 SeanDaly ok starting countdown... going once..
15:30 JT4sugar Thanks-Good day!
15:30 SeanDaly thanks all!!
15:31 going twice...
15:34 #endmeeting
15:34 meeting Meeting ended Tue Apr  5 15:34:15 2011 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
15:34 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-05T14:05:39.html
15:34 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]11-04-05T14:05:39

Minutes | Index | Today     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.