Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2018-07-11

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
01:27 MrBIOS has quit IRC
01:38 vaibhavdaren <vaibhavdaren!~vaibhavda@125.63.100.202> has joined #sugar-meeting
01:54 MrBIOS <MrBIOS!~aperez@c-24-130-45-179.hsd1.ca.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
01:59 vaibhavdaren hi,walterbender
02:04 pikurasa <pikurasa!~devin@209.6.193.250> has joined #sugar-meeting
02:19 walterbender hi vaibhavdaren
02:21 vaibhavdaren sir i have completed the easy and medium level stages
02:21 walterbender I saw that
02:22 can you share the URL to the page you created?
02:22 has looked at the files on the planet
02:23 vaibhavdaren https://github.com/vaibhavdare[…]rial-exercises.md
02:23 i have not yet fixed the links : making some last minute changes
02:24 https://docs.google.com/spread[…]/edit?usp=sharing
02:25 1) companion-readme 2)exercise list
02:25 walterbender vaibhavdaren, I think this is really nice.
02:26 vaibhavdaren :)
02:26 walterbender one question: where did the artwork for the tutorial come from?
02:26 vaibhavdaren open clipart
02:26 walterbender it seems a bit uneven
02:26 but maybe that is good...
02:27 vaibhavdaren i have tried to use 320x320px
02:27 walterbender can you be sure to follow whatever license is required for the artwork
02:27 vaibhavdaren yes sure
02:28 walterbender also, do you know why the intermediate column in the table is sized differently from the others?
02:28 looks a little funny
02:29 vaibhavdaren i looked into it
02:29 i learned that its because of padding in md
02:29 they are of the same size but appear to be different
02:30 walterbender on the Stage 3 (move north east, the figure looks like it is moving north west.
02:31 vaibhavdaren i fix this
02:31 "Creative Commons Zero 1.0 Public Domain License"
02:32 walterbender I wonder if you could find a different figure for Stage 5 as well, that better implies Cartesian coordinates
02:32 vaibhavdaren ill use one with a grid
02:32 walterbender and I think the stage 9 figure is not right either...
02:33 a-ritwik <a-ritwik!7bc93446@gateway/web/freenode/ip.123.201.52.70> has joined #sugar-meeting
02:33 walterbender Stage 7 of intermediate should perhaps not use shading?
02:33 a-ritwik I am very sorry that I am late.
02:33 walterbender: hi
02:33 pikurasa: hi
02:34 walterbender a-ritwik, it is ON.
02:34 vaibhavdaren and I are just finishing up
02:34 pikurasa hi a-ritwik
02:34 a-ritwik walterbender: OK
02:35 vaibhavdaren noted
02:35 walterbender vaibhavdaren, one other comment: maybe use target in your urls so when you click, it opens in a new window
02:35 otherwise you lose the page
02:36 vaibhavdaren, keep going... this will be very nice.
02:36 vaibhavdaren, any roadblocks?
02:36 vaibhavdaren none at present
02:36 walterbender ok
02:36 sorry I couldn't meet at the regular time.
02:36 can we do this time again next week
02:37 is traveling and the timezones are the issue
02:37 vaibhavdaren yes sure
02:37 walterbender thx
02:37 a-ritwik, how are you?
02:37 vaibhavdaren i ll make sure to inform jaskirat and P.Seetaramaraju
02:37 walterbender vaibhavdaren, thx
02:37 a-ritwik, excited to hear of the progress on the keyboard
02:38 a-ritwik walterbender: I an fine, thanks.
02:38 I have added play, save, close, clear buttons for keyboard, just like other widgets.
02:40 I tried adding move but it messed up, is it in priority?
02:40 pikurasa a-ritwik: I had trouble initiating the widget with your latest code... will try again...
02:40 I tried both with pitch blocks inside and without
02:40 a-ritwik pikurasa: please put at least one pitch block in clamp.
02:41 walterbender a-ritwik, I just pulled what I thogght was the latest version. Maybe I am on the wrong branch?
02:41 a-ritwik walterbender: softwareKeyboard branch
02:41 pikurasa hmmm... I think I tried just putting note blocks in, but will try with just pitch...
02:41 Although, you should use macros... Please see the .js file, it has instructions.
02:42 Using macros would save everyone time
02:42 a-ritwik pikurasa: for me it is working on putting just pitch block.
02:43 pikurasa: I will look into macros.js, thanks
02:43 walterbender a-ritwik, I see the buttons, but they don't seem to do anything
02:43 pikurasa a-ritwik: I am on HEAD is now at aa3476c... normal widget buttons added
02:43 walterbender and I put some pitches in but still get the entire keybaord
02:44 a-ritwik walterbender: buttons do not work currently
02:44 regarding putting pitches and getting those keys
02:45 I have made changes in logo.js so that on encountering any block it gets stored in array rowLabel and rowArgs. These arrays are defined in musicKeyboard.js.
02:45 walterbender I see from the console logs that you detect which pitches are present
02:45 but you are not yet using those data to generate the keys?
02:45 a-ritwik walterbender: Yes are stored in rowLabels and rowArgs
02:46 pikurasa still does not work for me...
02:46 a-ritwik walterbender: yes, I have to link pitches to buttons.
02:46 pikurasa: I am checking again
02:46 pikurasa and sometimes I am experiencing a bug I have not seen in a while where the selected block cannot be dropped
02:47 a-ritwik pikurasa: I am also having that issue, I wanted to ask about that.
02:48 pikurasa Walter would know.
02:48 walterbender a-ritwik, I cannot connect to the bottom of the stack in the keyboard widget.
02:48 will investigate
02:48 a-ritwik walterbender: On dropping a block near clamp, it does not get attached automatically, which code is responsble for that.
02:48 walterbender are you using a macro?
02:48 a-ritwik walterbender: no
02:49 walterbender: what macro does
02:50 walterbender a-ritwik, it is how you add blocks in the clamp by default
02:51 a-ritwik walterbender: OK, then I think by using macros this problem will be solved.
02:51 riyalohia <riyalohia!6acf8a92@gateway/web/freenode/ip.106.207.138.146> has joined #sugar-meeting
02:51 walterbender a-ritwik, I am not 100% sure what is going on, but I think it may be part of the probken
02:51 a-ritwik, let's do this:
02:52 (1) I'd like to tackle on issue at a time
02:52 every day, send pikurasa and me an email with the issue you are going to tackle that day
02:52 let's start with getting the keyboard to use the pitches you are finding in the clamp
02:52 I will look into the bug in the meanwhile
02:53 a-ritwik pikurasa: your changes are latest
02:53 jaskirat <jaskirat!uid272023@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-zgxeytrvyvcnexam> has joined #sugar-meeting
02:53 walterbender then we can tackle the buttons one at a time
02:53 a-ritwik walterbender: sure, I will.
02:54 walterbender the first button should be the close button :)
02:54 a-ritwik walterbender: yes
02:54 pikurasa a-ritwik: macros would probably not solve this problem, but would make it more convenient for the users (who are us at the moment)
02:55 riyalohia walterbender, pikurasa hi
02:56 walterbender a-ritwik, look at the macro for the c-major scale for the pitch time matrix
02:56 pikurasa hi riyalohia
02:56 walterbender we will want something like that
02:56 but right now, you are not handling scalar step inside your widget clamp
02:57 pikurasa a-ritwik: Please send daily email updates
02:57 walterbender will look into the bug
02:57 a-ritwik I will try to add macros, and will ask if there is some problem.
02:57 walterbender please look into restricting the keys to the ones in the clamp and report in tomorrow
02:57 pikurasa walter and I want to ensure your success, but you need to meet us half-way, which means you need to communicate regularly.
02:57 walterbender a-ritwik, don't work on the macro yet...
02:58 just the one specific goal at a time
02:58 a-ritwik walterbender: okay
02:58 walterbender riyalohia, how are you?
02:58 a-ritwik pikurasa: I will.
02:59 riyalohia walterbender, I am fine.
02:59 walterbender, how are you?
03:00 pikurasa a-ritwik: looking forward to the emails. Please start today!
03:03 walterbender riyalohia, can you give a quick summary?
03:03 riyalohia walterbender, sure!
03:03 a-ritwik pikurasa: it would be night there now, Is it okay if I mail every morniing (Eastern time).
03:03 pikurasa a-ritwik: you may email any time of day
03:04 a-ritwik pikurasa: OK
03:04 riyalohia I am finished with functionalities of 'equal', 'ratios', 'arbitrary' and 'octave space' edit tool.
03:05 Also, I have added 'clear' and 'back to 2:1 octave space' button.
03:05 Added playback to arbitary tool.
03:06 Recent Blog: https://medium.com/gsoc18-with[…]od-v-63fc0a9809b6
03:07 pikurasa, regarding your recent mail, I like the idea.
03:08 But I think I should first finish the basics like 'save' button functionality and changes in musicutils. After this, we can revisit the widget.
03:08 walterbender riyalohia, it is really looking nice
03:08 riyalohia walterbender, thank you :)
03:09 pikurasa riyalohia: okay, great. And I like your plan. Strategy is important.
03:09 walterbender I agree that the musicutils updates are a priority
03:09 so that we can take advantage of the temperament
03:09 riyalohia walterbender, +1.
03:09 vaibhavdaren has quit IRC
03:09 walterbender riyalohia, let me know if you have any issues re musicutils
03:10 riyalohia walterbender, sure.
03:10 walterbender (email may be best given my scehdule
03:10 pikurasa good blogpost, riya
03:10 riyalohia pikurasa, thank you :)
03:11 we can discuss the details of add and ratio edit tools. (As proposed y pikurasa)
03:11 pikurasa riyalohia: discuss now?
03:12 riyalohia pikurasa, walterbender, If you want to, we can discuss now
03:12 pikurasa or discuss after musicutils???
03:12 riyalohia pikurasa, okay. We will discuss after musicutils.
03:13 pikurasa I do not think we need to discuss those details now.
03:13 riyalohia pikurasa, +1.
03:13 pikurasa I realize there are more important tasks. I just think that, by the end of the summer, having preview would be nice. And was asking your input for the general idea.
03:14 So, I recommend that you go ahead with what you plan to do.
03:14 riyalohia pikurasa, okay.
03:15 walterbender riyalohia, I think the biggest issue is that musicutils is pretty hardwired around 12 steps per octave
03:15 riyalohia walterbender, yes.. I should start with making changes in getNote
03:16 walterbender but also, we need to ensure that when appropriate we do not automatically map #s and bs to the same note
03:16 riyalohia walterbender, +1.
03:16 walterbender riyalohia, getnote, then the code around steps (scalar and halfsteps)
03:17 riyalohia walterbender, okay
03:18 walterbender It is a bit messy, but if you are systematic, it should be doable
03:19 wonders if we cannot make a note class that contains a lot of the complexity?
03:19 riyalohia walterbender, okay. I will email you if I face any problem.
03:19 walterbender great
03:20 pikurasa (coming from someone who cannot read the code well, so take with a grain of salt) I recommend to make the changes as simple as possible so that future coders can read it well enough to make their own changes, if needed.
03:21 riyalohia pikurasa, sure.
03:21 pikurasa I think it was Paul McCartney who told one of his sit-in bassists to "not play too many notes" (aka "keep it simple).
03:23 Okay, that is it from me.
03:23 I have said it before, but I will say it again: I think riya is doing a great job
03:24 riyalohia pikurasa, thank you for the constant motivation :)
03:24 pikurasa Are you enjoying this project, riyalohia?
03:24 riyalohia pikurasa, yes.
03:26 At beginning, I was a bit scared, but now I am really enjoying working on this.
03:26 walterbender a-ritwik, you still here?
03:26 a-ritwik walterbender: yes
03:26 walterbender a-ritwik, in fact, you do have an entry in macros.js for the keyboard
03:26 and it is wrong
03:27 which explains the connection problem
03:27 change it to this:
03:27 pikurasa riyalohia: it is not an easy problem to solve, but you are doing well.
03:27 a-ritwik walterbender: line number?
03:27 walterbender const MUSICKEYBOARDOBJ = [[0, 'musickeyboard', x, y, [null, null, 1]], [1, 'hiddennoflow', 0, 0, [0, null]]];
03:27 riyalohia pikurasa, thank you :)
03:27 a-ritwik walterbender: oops, I defined it for only block
03:28 walterbender ok... back to sleep for me... it is 5AM here
03:29 a-ritwik walterbender: bye
03:29 pikurasa: bye
03:29 riyalohia bye
03:29 pikurasa walterbender: thanks for your time and commitment, as always!
03:29 a-ritwik: thank you!
03:30 riyalohia: bye!
03:30 pikurasa has quit IRC
03:30 riyalohia pikurasa, walterbender, bye
03:31 riyalohia has quit IRC
03:31 a-ritwik has quit IRC
03:57 MrBIOS walterbender: any chance you’ve had an opportunity to look at the goals page I put together?
04:14 walterbender has quit IRC
04:47 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@183-37-145-5.dyn.cable.fcom.ch> has joined #sugar-meeting
05:52 MrBIOS has quit IRC
06:29 MrBIOS <MrBIOS!~aperez@c-24-130-45-179.hsd1.ca.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
07:56 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
08:59 jaskirat has quit IRC
10:49 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:57 vipulgupta2048 <vipulgupta2048!~vipulgupt@117.242.227.200> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:53 vipulgupta2048_ <vipulgupta2048_!~vipulgupt@117.242.226.191> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:56 vipulgupta2048 has quit IRC
13:05 ibiam <ibiam!~ibiam@105.112.89.154> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:12 vipulgupta2048__ <vipulgupta2048__!~vipulgupt@117.242.228.27> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:13 vipulgupta2048__ has quit IRC
13:15 vipulgupta2048_ has quit IRC
13:43 ibiam has quit IRC
13:43 ibiam <ibiam!~ibiam@105.112.89.154> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:05 ibiam has quit IRC
14:05 ibiam <ibiam!~ibiam@105.112.89.154> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:19 ibiam has quit IRC
14:20 ibiam <ibiam!~ibiam@105.112.89.154> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:58 vipulgupta2048 <vipulgupta2048!~vipulgupt@117.242.228.200> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:07 vipulgupta2048 has quit IRC
15:14 MrBIOS has quit IRC
15:41 vipulgupta2048 <vipulgupta2048!~vipulgupt@117.242.225.109> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:47 MrBIOS <MrBIOS!~aperez@c-67-170-219-226.hsd1.ca.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:52 vipulgupta2048 has quit IRC
15:55 vipulgupta2048 <vipulgupta2048!~vipulgupt@117.242.225.109> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:21 llaske has quit IRC
17:29 llaske <llaske!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf00917e7de1f8c​de7eb.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:33 llaske has quit IRC
17:34 ibiam has quit IRC
18:03 walterbender has quit IRC
18:05 ibiam <ibiam!~ibiam@105.112.89.154> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:36 ibiam has quit IRC
18:53 llaske <llaske!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf00917e7de1f8c​de7eb.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:58 llaske has quit IRC
20:47 vipulgupta2048 has quit IRC
23:37 MrBIOS has quit IRC

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster