Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2018-01-30

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
02:59 Hrishi <Hrishi!uid200307@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-ettksdmzjrlpbycq> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:57 llaske <llaske!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf0029665167faf​85a07.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
04:01 llaske has quit IRC
05:08 Hrishi has quit IRC
08:35 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
09:44 llaske has quit IRC
09:55 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
09:59 llaske has quit IRC
10:11 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:49 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:26 llaske has quit IRC
14:57 llaske <llaske!~llaske@163.5.55.25> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:31 llaske has quit IRC
18:11 ibiam <ibiam!~ibiam@hymax.hyperia.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:37 sidhant <sidhant!~smuxi@116.74.44.172> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:46 sidhant has quit IRC
19:16 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-1-12522-139.w90-91.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:21 llaske has quit IRC
20:10 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-1-12522-139.w90-91.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:29 ibiam has quit IRC
20:39 sidhant <sidhant!~smuxi@116.74.44.172> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:17 llaske has quit IRC
21:18 llaske <llaske!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf00e898f8742c1​8d76f.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:22 llaske has quit IRC
21:33 llaske <llaske!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf00e898f8742c1​8d76f.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:40 llaske has quit IRC
22:00 Quozl #startmeeting
22:00 meeting Meeting started Tue Jan 30 22:00:08 2018 UTC. The chair is Quozl. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
22:00 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
22:00 Quozl #topic quorum
22:00 sidhant: are you here?
22:00 ... anyone else?
22:00 sidhant Yep!
22:00 eohomegrownapps hi
22:00 Quozl #agreed quorum
22:00 #topic what we have been working on
22:02 i've been reviewing pull requests, checking server security, porting to sugargame 1.2 for letters and physics activities.
22:03 i also went to linux.conf.au and had meetings with google open source program managers, software freedom conservancy, free software foundation, and some others.
22:03 cristian99garcia <cristian99garcia!b3194444@gateway/web/freenode/ip.179.25.68.68> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:04 eohomegrownapps linux.conf.au - is that https://opensource.googleblog.[…]confau-2018.html?
22:05 regarding 'what we have been working on', unfortunately not much SL-wise (just keeping a few Music Blocks Planet related things ticking over) - still struggling through a dense thicket of schoolwork / olympiads / exams etc
22:05 Quozl eohomegrownapps: yes.  all the videos are uploaded to youtube.com under the username linuxconfau2018
22:06 eohomegrownapps ooh, nice
22:06 has a look
22:07 Quozl eohomegrownapps: look at https://linux.conf.au and click on schedule to get an idea of what talks had the greater priority; keynotes at 9am, largest rooms were in the left column of the schedule.
22:07 sidhant: anything to add on topic?
22:07 sidhant I've started work on a contributors/team page for our website. I have my exams coming up soon so I wouldn't be able to work a lot on it ATM.
22:09 dzho <dzho!~dzho@unaffiliated/dzho> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:09 Quozl sidhant: thanks, interesting.  is there anything you can do to reduce the number of alternate sources of information for contributors?  every time someone works on this, we get a _new_ source of information, and the number of conflicts increases.
22:10 ... kinda like a lot of separate blogs instead of a collaboration.
22:11 sidhant Right. I'm still trying to figure out how to manage the various types of contributions, ranging from PRs to translations.
22:11 So, I'm working on a Python script that aggregates all the data for now.
22:11 Quozl sidhant: add to your list how to manage contributions to mailing list, sugar-devel@, wiki, and sugar-docs repository.  ;-)
22:12 sidhant Right. :p
22:12 Quozl sidhant: for example, something that converts sugar-docs pages into the style of the web site, so that we get to keep sugar-docs updated as usual.
22:13 sidhant: i mean, something that downloads the sugar-docs markdown, converts to html, and places it within or beside www-sugarlabs content.
22:14 ... and the same idea for certain wiki.sugarlabs.org pages that are still maintained.  otherwise we risk losing maintainers who refuse to learn new tools, or who lack the time to use git instead of mediawiki.
22:15 ... an example is satellit, satellit_e, who does not use github, yet is a valuable contributor.
22:15 Anyway, that's enough lecturing.  dhzo: anything you've worked on in the past two weeks on sugar?
22:15 eohomegrownapps but might it also make sense to make use of the GitHub wiki? (are we doing this at the moment?) --> a repository-specific wiki for repository-specific docs
22:16 Quozl eohomegrownapps: it would make sense if there was an organisation-level wiki instead of repository-level, but github does not offer that, and we have a maintained instance of mediawiki that should be just as easy to contribute to.
22:16 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@146.115.133.213> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:16 walterbender sorry I am late
22:17 Quozl walterbender: hello, we're just finishing up what have we been working on; anything to contribute to discussion?
22:17 eohomegrownapps I guess... but as a developer, if I'm contributing to a specific repo on GitHub that might be the first obvious place to look. alternatively perhaps a link to the relevant wiki page in the readme.md?
22:17 (perhaps the latter could be automated)
22:17 walterbender reviewed a new activity: NumberRush
22:18 requested a few more changes to i18n
22:18 and use of the user colors
22:18 Quozl eohomegrownapps: not sure i like automatic commits; they hint at a level of activity that isn't real.  but yes, links from repositories back to any external resources like wiki.sugarlabs.org are very useful.
22:19 sidhant I second that, it'll make sense to link repos to their respective wiki pages in their readmes.
22:19 walterbender is trying to clean up the GCI work in order to prepare a new release of Music Blocks and Turtle Blocks
22:19 eohomegrownapps Quozl, I see your point on the automatic commits
22:19 walterbender looks at the backlog
22:19 eohomegrownapps is there a specific documentation hub in the SL wiki?
22:19 Quozl eohomegrownapps: a fundamental github feature is that everything is supposed to be in a repository, but we have sugar core split across 7 or 8 repositories, and activities each in their own repository.  we don't fit the github way of working properly.  but the alternative is everything in one place, like sugarizer has embedded activities, making them drift from their upstream repositories and losing changes.
22:20 eohomegrownapps -->submodules/subtrees?
22:21 Quozl walterbender: yes, i reviewed NumRush and gave private feedback too.  forked on sugarlabs/ and has a FIxes branch with my changes.
22:21 eohomegrownapps this seems the perfect usecase
22:22 Quozl eohomegrownapps: yes, but llaske has not used it.  also, our previous use of submodules keeps causing problems; the release tar.gz bundles by github don't include the submodules; the clone is not recursive.  we have had so many problems reported against collabwrapper missing that in browse we gave up and discarded the submodule.
22:24 eohomegrownapps sorry if I'm being stupid here, but might subtrees work instead? http://alistra.ghost.io/2014/1[…]to-git-submodule/
22:24 I've been using subtrees with some degree of success in the musicblocks-cordova repo
22:25 Quozl eohomegrownapps: possibly, but it seems a lot of work just to avoid having a wiki.sugarlabs.org account or git-mediawiki clone.
22:26 walterbender Quozl, FWIW, I am less and less enamored with the wiki as a place for documentation
22:27 too much noise to signal
22:27 I think we should continue to migrate docs to github from the wiki.
22:27 things like the activity help pages, the devel team pages
22:27 the almanac
22:27 Quozl walterbender: and delete them off the wiki, please?
22:27 walterbender yes
22:28 the wiki can be for more ephemeral content
22:28 eohomegrownapps Quozl, I was also thinking that perhaps subtree could be used to merge the composite parts of sugar core?...
22:28 walterbender and fora for discussions of features, etc.
22:28 eohomegrownapps (but that will probably have catastrophic side-effects on everything dependent on those github repos)
22:29 walterbender is less concerned about sugar core than the problem Quozl mentioned re things like collabwrapper
22:29 eohomegrownapps walterbender, +1
22:30 walterbender the other advantage of moving some of these things -- activity help -- to github -- is that the help will remain part of the activity as it moves from place to place.
22:30 Quozl help-activity.
22:31 walterbender help activity could be a collection of subtrees :)
22:31 Quozl doesn't sound practical in the short term.  ;-)
22:31 emilyo11 joins
22:31 walterbender maybe a job for GSoC :P
22:32 Quozl i'm not that impressed; GSoC and GCi jobs aren't very sustainable.
22:33 walterbender there are 345 pages in the wiki under activities
22:33 Quozl emilyo11: re topic, what have you been working on this last two weeks?
22:33 eohomegrownapps Quozl, what exactly do you mean by sustainable?
22:33 walterbender moving those pages to markdown in their activity bundles is a summer's worth of work
22:34 once they are moved...
22:34 Quozl eohomegrownapps: things get started, get half way through, they stop, we end up with multiple focal points and multiple sources of conflicting information.
22:34 emilyo11 i have done up the clock documentation on help-activity, and am still working on a pitch visualizer for music blocks
22:34 Quozl emilyo11: cool, thanks.
22:36 okay, we seem to have dried up this discussion, moving on; no further topics on the agenda, so i move to close the meeting; all in favour?  alternative; another topic.
22:36 sidhant Quozl: Though I do agree with you, I feel it would make sense for it to be a GSoC project. If it's left halfway we could finish it over the next GCi. :p
22:37 walterbender nothing else from me
22:37 Quozl i'll move all my pages from the wiki to sugar-docs.
22:38 there will be a veritable commit storm.  ;-)
22:38 eohomegrownapps: emilyo11: sidhant: motion to close meeting, in favour?
22:39 pikurasa <pikurasa!~devin@c-71-232-12-24.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:39 eohomegrownapps nothing else in particular to add
22:39 sidhant I don't have anything else to add, +1
22:39 emilyo11 +1
22:39 eohomegrownapps but hi pikurasa
22:39 pikurasa hi, I just finished teaching for the day
22:39 I must have missed the meeting--sorry--it is at an awkward time for me
22:39 Quozl pikurasa: i'll pause the meeting close to hear from you; anything you've worked on for sugar in the last two weeks to share?
22:40 pikurasa walter and I have been working on various patches to improve music blocks
22:40 and we have been creating tasks for GSoC
22:40 there are many potential tasks for MB this year (which is what I am most familiar with)
22:41 and I am also trying to get members of the lilypond user community involved as well, since MB integrates with lilypond
22:41 that is the gist!
22:41 Thank you!
22:41 Quozl pikurasa: cool, thanks.  we should get mb into the sugar live build.  will the gsoc tasks be reviewed by other developers, or is it just for the gsoc mentors and administrators?
22:42 eohomegrownapps nice - MB does seem to be forming a substantial part of SL as a whole now
22:42 pikurasa the tasks I was referring to are the ones published to the wiki
22:42 (...if that answers the question)
22:42 Quozl pikurasa: thanks.
22:42 pikurasa eohomegrownapps: that is just because I have an infinite number of ideas... :p
22:43 Quozl pikurasa: we've all agreed to close the meeting just before you came in, are you okay with closing the meeting too?  procedural fairness.  ;-)
22:43 pikurasa At some point, I can imagine how MB can integrate with many of the applications already in the sugar os suite, BTW
22:43 Quozl: yes, +1 to ending
22:43 Quozl #endmeeting
22:43 pikurasa thank you!
22:43 meeting Meeting ended Tue Jan 30 22:43:49 2018 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
22:43 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-30T22:00:08.html
22:43 Quozl thanks all!
22:43 meeting Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]18-01-30T22:00:08
22:44 walterbender thx Quozl
22:44 sidhant Thank you. :)
22:45 pikurasa thank you for organizing this every week Quozl!
22:45 eohomegrownapps thanks
22:48 cristian99garcia has quit IRC
22:50 llaske <llaske!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf00e898f8742c1​8d76f.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:23 llaske has quit IRC
23:54 pikurasa has quit IRC

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster