Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2018-01-05

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:49 walterbender has quit IRC
01:36 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@146.115.133.213> has joined #sugar-meeting
01:52 walterbender has quit IRC
02:09 llaske <llaske!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf00a1ea358e180​e2636.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
02:13 llaske has quit IRC
09:09 sanatankc <sanatankc!2f1f02b2@gateway/web/cgi-irc/kiwiirc.com/ip.47.31.2.178> has joined #sugar-meeting
09:24 llaske <llaske!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf00a1ea358e180​e2636.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
09:37 sanatankc has quit IRC
09:43 llaske has quit IRC
09:45 llaske <llaske!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf00a1ea358e180​e2636.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
09:47 llaske_ <llaske_!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf00a1ea358e180​e2636.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
09:47 llaske has quit IRC
10:15 sanatankc <sanatankc!2f1f02b2@gateway/web/cgi-irc/kiwiirc.com/ip.47.31.2.178> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:41 llaske_ has quit IRC
10:50 llaske <llaske!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf00a1ea358e180​e2636.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:51 llaske has quit IRC
11:32 sanatankc has quit IRC
11:39 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@146.115.133.213> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:43 llaske <llaske!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf00a1ea358e180​e2636.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:51 llaske has quit IRC
11:52 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:02 sanatankc <sanatankc!2f1fb571@gateway/web/cgi-irc/kiwiirc.com/ip.47.31.181.113> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:22 samson_ <samson_!~samson___@160.152.3.194> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:42 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-IDF1-1-217-5.w82-124.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:46 llaske has quit IRC
13:12 sanatankc has quit IRC
13:51 samson_ has quit IRC
13:56 Hrishi <Hrishi!uid200307@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-whnuhtzfjzabmtsg> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:58 satellit <satellit!~satellit@2601:602:880:1907::faf8> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:00 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-IDF1-1-217-5.w82-124.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:09 llaske has quit IRC
14:09 sanatankc <sanatankc!2f1fb571@gateway/web/cgi-irc/kiwiirc.com/ip.47.31.181.113> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:11 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-IDF1-1-217-5.w82-124.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:36 sanatankc has quit IRC
14:45 sanatankc <sanatankc!2f1fb571@gateway/web/cgi-irc/kiwiirc.com/ip.47.31.181.113> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:55 llaske has quit IRC
15:57 sanatankc has quit IRC
16:06 Hrishi has quit IRC
16:25 jaskirat_ <jaskirat_!9d2491cb@gateway/web/freenode/ip.157.36.145.203> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:26 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-IDF1-1-217-5.w82-124.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:32 llaske has quit IRC
16:57 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-IDF1-1-217-5.w82-124.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:26 llaske has quit IRC
17:31 walterbender has quit IRC
17:32 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-IDF1-1-217-5.w82-124.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:41 jaskirat_ has quit IRC
17:49 jaskirat <jaskirat!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:58 Hrishi <Hrishi!uid200307@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-cvdrwamzzluurqen> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:09 llaske has quit IRC
18:11 walterbender <walterbender!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:30 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-IDF1-1-217-5.w82-124.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:38 llaske has quit IRC
18:40 cristian99garcia <cristian99garcia!~cristian@179.26.142.103> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:40 kipply <kipply!~kipply@CPEa84e3f5ba833-CMa84e3f5ba830.cpe.net.fido.ca> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:45 sidhant <sidhant!~smuxi@116.74.43.112> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:54 samsongoddy <samsongoddy!a99f75d0@gateway/web/freenode/ip.169.159.117.208> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:58 walterbender seems like we will have a quorum today :)
18:59 samsongoddy Hello
19:01 CanoeBerry Hi
19:02 walterbender #start-meeting
19:02 meeting Meeting started Fri Jan  5 19:02:42 2018 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:02 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
19:02 walterbender hi everyone
19:03 I have a few agenda items to cover to start
19:03 #topic GCI
19:03 We have two more weeks of Google Code In
19:03 the participation this year has been through the roof
19:04 over 1000 student and more than 600 tasks completed so far
19:04 and the mentor team has been very helpful
19:04 some great work by some familar faces and some newcomers
19:04 I'm very pleased we are participating again this year
19:05 any comments/questions re GCI?
19:05 a few GCI students are here: kipply and sidhant
19:05 wanna comment?
19:05 CanoeBerry What's the best link to see the most active mentors/projects etc?
19:06 walterbender CanoeBerry: behind the google firewall
19:06 CanoeBerry Ugh, ok.
19:06 walterbender CanoeBerry: I will send out a summary when we wrap up in a few weeks
19:06 eohomegrownapps hi, I really appreciate the work you and the other mentors are doing to help us :)
19:06 walterbender but sugarizer, music blocks, and sugar itself have all been popular
19:07 kipply Super great experience, I've just started working on some stuff with the Sugar core. I think the most exciting part has been learning Gtk+3 and music theory (I was quite musically inept)
19:07 sidhant Hey! I'm really enjoying contributing through GCI to SL, it gives a simple step into the open source world for us. Personally working on the GCI SL tasks, I find a bit of a focus on MusicBlocks and I'd personally prefer more design tasks.
19:07 walterbender kipply: everything I know about music I learned from Music Blocks :)
19:07 seriously
19:07 sverma <sverma!~sverma@130.212.94.189> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:07 jaskirat Hello everyone
19:08 kipply I was confused about time signatures on my first music blocks task haha
19:08 walterbender We'll have to keep this in mind for next year: more design tasks
19:08 llaske <llaske!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf00596c2bba3e8​e0056.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:09 jaskirat <walterbender>You are right ...GCI is touching great heights
19:09 sidhant Working with the mentors is amazing, the responses are really prompt. Compared to Zulip, from my experience last year. :P
19:09 walterbender sidhant: we have 40 mentors :)
19:10 jaskirat <sidhant> Sugarlabs is one of the most experienced organizations
19:10 kipply @sidhant +1
19:10 This is my first code in though, so I wouldn't know - but I do know that I'm never waiting for help or stuck too long :)
19:10 jaskirat <walterbender> This time too we miss some of the task ...Hope will come up with next time those
19:10 Hrishi Late
19:11 walterbender GCI naturally leads us to the next topic, Summer of Code.
19:11 #topic GSoC
19:11 The reason I bring this up now is because Google has pushed forward the application process
19:11 We need to apply in the next two weeks
19:12 jaskirat great waltebender ...
19:12 Hrishi walterbender: do we have project slots for GSOC?
19:12 walterbender so I wanted to get approval from the oversight board to participate again this year
19:12 Hrishi I mean do they give a Max limit?
19:12 walterbender Hrishi: we don't know
19:12 We had 9 last year
19:12 Hrishi All passed ;)
19:12 walterbender We can hope for the same this year
19:12 jaskirat <walterbender> agree with you
19:13 walterbender #motion: Sugar Labs will apply for Google Summer of Code 2018.
19:13 jaskirat it should be.....Yes
19:13 and should get good proposals for coder too
19:15 walterbender any SLOB members have any comments re GSoC?
19:16 I'll try not to read too much into the silence
19:16 CanoeBerry +1
19:17 walterbender I guess I will prepare the application and try to get consensus via email
19:17 CanoeBerry: could you please second the motion before we vote?
19:17 CanoeBerry Seconded. +1 too.
19:17 jaskirat <walterbender> That will be good
19:17 walterbender +1
19:18 ignacio llaske sverma ???
19:18 samsongoddy: ???
19:19 jaskirat they might be involved in something else
19:19 samsongoddy ping
19:19 walterbender is connected through a browser since I am away from my computer
19:19 samsongoddy +1
19:19 walterbender maybe that expains the lag?
19:20 We should move on in the agenda.
19:20 CanoeBerry Sure. Channel & walterbender's messages are arriving promptly on this end.
19:20 walterbender I'll follow up with email
19:21 jaskirat <walterbender> do we have any minimum criteria for proposals in GSoC?
19:22 ?
19:23 walterbender The community comes up with project ideas
19:23 and we let the candidates come up with ideas too.
19:23 jaskirat Okay ...
19:23 walterbender and then pick the best match between ideas and skills
19:23 moving on
19:24 #topic Music Blocks workshops
19:24 jaskirat Yes...sure
19:24 walterbender Devin has written up a few reports on the workshops he has been running in Japan
19:24 He has a few more to write up
19:25 Hrishi All right, for Sugar Labs workshops, I have talked with some of my friends to help me with it. I will be visiting schools if I get some support.
19:25 walterbender They have gone really well and he has been invited to come back to do more, with the intent to design a larger program that can be nationwide in Japan
19:25 Hrishi Will be targeted yo primary schools here
19:25 walterbender which is a great opportunity for us.
19:26 sidhant Hrishi: I'm planning to conduct some under thegirlcode.co, although that'll be TurtleBlocks + Python. The target audience is Middle schoolers.
19:26 jaskirat <walterbender> i have started with from my own school ...and they wated to be involved
19:26 walterbender MITI is involved and will hopefully be the source of longer term support
19:26 samsongoddy MITI?
19:27 walterbender but we may have to cover some travel in the sort term through the Trip Advisor grant
19:27 I don't remember exactly what the acronym means, but ministry of information techmology?
19:27 jaskirat okay
19:27 walterbender something like that
19:27 I'll send details via email but wanted to give a heads up
19:28 Hrishi sidhant:great
19:28 walterbender things are really moving quickly
19:28 Hrishi I hope the school (s) accept this workshops in 2018. Seems a good year
19:28 walterbender Also I am in discussions to make Music Blocks an integral part of a Tata-funded MIT program in India
19:28 jaskirat <Hrishi> i have introduced with sugarlabs with my own school...and will trying to cover nearby me .......
19:29 walterbender I'll keep you all in th loop as things progress.
19:29 samsongoddy I have alot of things cooking in Nigeria too
19:29 around Sugar Labs
19:29 Hrishi jaskirat: I have introduced, but most of people use windows. That's why "Sugar for Windows" is in progress
19:29 walterbender samsongoddy: the floor is yours
19:29 Hrishi walterbender: I will share details by email soon. Will let you know if any progress happens.
19:30 walterbender +1
19:30 jaskirat <Hrishi> agree with you ....
19:30 samsongoddy I have a motion "Motion: Additional Reimbursement for Gsoc mentor Summit"
19:30 Sent to SLOBs mailing list for approval
19:30 llaske_ <llaske_!~llaske@LFbn-IDF1-1-217-5.w82-124.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:30 walterbender sidhant: let me know if you need any help re Python/Turtle
19:30 llaske: please read the backlog
19:30 samsongoddy SFC requested SLOBS should approve the funds before they can reimburse me
19:31 walterbender and chime in re GSoC if you have an opinion
19:31 did anyone have any thoughts re Samson's email?
19:31 I thought it was a reasonable accounitng
19:32 jaskirat <walterbender> should we go for marketing ....Music Blocks ...i think i should work on it ...make it really better
19:32 samsongoddy I have until Febraury 2
19:32 I will like if anyone can second the motion for voting
19:33 walterbender I will second samson's motion
19:33 jaskirat +1
19:34 llaske has quit IRC
19:34 walterbender seems llaske_ is not having much luck with his connection
19:35 samsongoddy: I will resend your motion again by email along with the fact that it has been seconded.
19:36 samsongoddy sure
19:36 walterbender seems everyone on the board is distracted today.
19:36 a couple of other things we need to work on ASAP:
19:36 finding a new ombudsman
19:37 I have a few candidates in mind but I want to get a sense of their level on interest before floating their names publicly
19:37 and Sameer has ideas about how to get the Goals for 2018 discussion kicked off...
19:37 sverma Hello! I'm teaching a class right now, so looked in, and keeping an eye when I can!
19:37 walterbender samsongoddy and I have been discussing it as well
19:37 sverma Logged in
19:38 Hrishi walterbender: I and samsongoddy have been discussing this week
19:38 walterbender: we are using some 2016 goals right?
19:38 sverma I'll introduce the goals conversation via email
19:38 walterbender Sameer has offered to get the discussion going by email, so we can share our thoughts
19:39 Hrishi: that page is full of good ideas, but too diffuse for us to accomplish them all
19:39 we need focus, IMHO
19:39 sverma I'll try to send that out this weekend
19:39 walterbender sverma: thx
19:39 any other topics for today?
19:39 CanoeBerry Thanks Walter for researching Ombudspeops.  On the prior topic, by the non-profit standards I work with in many countries, the above-mentioned reimbursement expenditures are excessively high, so I personally vote against (-1).
19:41 samsongoddy $211 is the request
19:41 eohomegrownapps walterbender, just out of interest, did anyone have the time to look into the sugar-web/sugarizer compatibility issue? If not, I should be able to have a look after my exams.
19:41 llaske_ has quit IRC
19:42 walterbender eohomegrownapps: not that I know of. but I think it is an important technical goal for us
19:42 Hrishi will continue with some goals to work on.
19:42 walterbender wow... looking out the window at the wind blowing th snpw around... impressive
19:43 eohomegrownapps ok, I'll try to have a look after my exams then
19:43 Hrishi never saw snow.
19:43 walterbender i saw plenty yesterday... 1/2 meter at my house
19:43 jaskirat <walterbender> would you like to see further any marketing poster ....i could design .....
19:44 Hrishi Okay, I think I am done here. Bye! Later.
19:44 CanoeBerry Substantially more than $1000 total is being requested for a wkd in San Francisco, after Samson's flight from Nigeria was already paid for.  This is wildly excessive in the opinion of many that I work with closely.  Enough said.  We have a very fundamental disagreement on what constitutes prudent and wise spending.
19:45 walterbender CanoeBerry: I don't understand where you are getting your numbers from... but I don't think it is worth arguing about
19:46 anything else for today?
19:47 cristian99garcia I've arrived late to GCI topic, but I just want to say that it has been really a great experience as mentor, and I still learning English, but these instances help me to practice
19:47 jaskirat <walterbender> ah yes... any type of marketing designing help i can do ?
19:47 walterbender cristian99garcia: your participation has been a great help
19:47 thx
19:48 jaskirat i think after the working with  MusicBlocks .......
19:48 kipply I also love doing graphics~
19:49 walterbender jaskirat: samsongoddy had talked bout convening a marktetting team meeting
19:49 maybe we can do that as soon as GCI wraps up
19:49 samsongoddy I have to go now
19:49 walterbender OK
19:49 jaskirat Yes...that should be ...got so much of stuffs for it ....just waiting to implement it
19:50 walterbender thanks everyone for coming today
19:50 samsongoddy jaskirat,  i will work with you on marketing
19:50 walterbender I'll send out an email summary
19:50 kipply @samsongoddy ping me about such a meeting too? Thanks~
19:50 walterbender #end-meeting
19:50 meeting Meeting ended Fri Jan  5 19:50:31 2018 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
19:50 jaskirat <samsongoddy> sure ...waiting to see you ahead
19:50 meeting Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-05T19:02:42.html
19:50 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]18-01-05T19:02:42
19:50 CanoeBerry Samson large earlier expenditures have been published to https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Finance and according to SFC $2550 has already been allocated to Samson above and beyond what SLOBS actually voted for @ http://lists.sugarlabs.org/arc[…]ember/020184.html ("$2000 SFC prepurchase of
19:50 an airline ticket and $550 towards local transport")
19:51 walterbender CanoeBerry: Please reread the spreadsheet. There was almost no cost associated with the SF weekend
19:52 there was a lot of expense in Nigeria and Dubai
19:52 the Nigeria expenses are crazy but I don't know how they could have been avoided
19:53 the Dubia expenses are directly related to our not letting Samson take the original flights he found
19:53 CanoeBerry I do, I've done it.  In any case, we have a fundamental disagreement on what constitutes prudent spending.
19:53 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-IDF1-1-217-5.w82-124.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:53 walterbender we saved no $ by forcing himn to change and made the travel onerous
19:53 CanoeBerry Not true.
19:54 walterbender the numbers speak for themselves
19:54 show me the line item for $500 spending in SF?
19:54 CanoeBerry Sorry, that's simply not true that saving approx $500-to-$1000 on airfare does not help Sugar Labs.
19:54 walterbender so me the savings over the original flight by rebooking through Dubai and hjaving a crazy layover
19:55 samsongoddy has quit IRC
19:55 walterbender $1000 is a gross exaggeration
19:55 CanoeBerry If saving Sugar Labs $500-to-1000 is not worth, for a few hours in an airport, there's nothing more to say here.
19:56 sverma has quit IRC
19:57 walterbender CanoeBerry: first, you have not demonstrated that it was a $1000 savings; (2) the "few" hours was in the doubel digits (3) we are talking about a minor, not an adult,
19:57 but I am done arguing about this when you pull numbers out of the air.
19:58 samson provided a spreadsheet with the details reviewed by the SFC
19:58 if you have specific concerns about the spreadsheet I am all ears, but not this handwaving
19:59 CanoeBerry Samson's earlier flight numbers are widely circulated.  Substantially more than $500 was saved and everybody knows it.
19:59 walterbender I am not happy that the trip was so expensive, but I think it was worhtwhile
19:59 for the community and for Samson
20:00 CanoeBerry: I don't know it
20:00 CanoeBerry Read the many emails with Samsonthen.  Then after $500+ was saved, the budget ballooned upwards and upwards and upwards beyond $2550, even when the light itself was only.
20:01 *flight itself was only 1279.14 according to https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Finance
20:01 walterbender and the original flight?
20:01 and the cost in Dubai?
20:01 seems like a wash at best to me
20:02 so I think your assertions do not hold water
20:02 CanoeBerry Up to $2000 was allocated to Samson's flight.  See his original requests which were very close to that.
20:02 You don't have any of the facts in front of you clearly.  Apologies that's indeed what's happened.
20:03 walterbender CanoeBerry: I see we are depending on your recollections and assertions. but none of that matters, because he took the flight you chose for him
20:03 and the expenses reflect that
20:03 so I am still at a lose as to undertsand your point'
20:03 CanoeBerry It's all in writing, if you cared to look at Samson's emails.
20:04 cristian99garcia has left #sugar-meeting
20:04 kipply has left #sugar-meeting
20:04 walterbender CanoeBerry: Again no idea of the relevance, but I will dig through the emails again when I get back to my computer.
20:04 meanwhile I need to go.
20:05 CanoeBerry The point it that Sugar Labs already spent $2550 - 1279.14 = 1270.86 BEYOND Samson's flights, despite only having voted for $550.  And yet more is requested, for a wkd that SL approved in SF.
20:07 Again, we have a fundamental disagreement on what constitutes cautionary expenditures, and I understand others have more free-spending ways.  This will not change.
20:12 walterbender has quit IRC
20:12 llaske has quit IRC
20:12 llaske <llaske!~llaske@LFbn-IDF1-1-217-5.w82-124.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:19 llaske Sorry, can't join in time
20:20 Will answer by e-mail but:
20:20 +1 for GSoC participation: it's important for the community and to improve our software
20:22 -1 for Samson motion: as CanoeBerry say, we spent already too much money on Samson trip
20:37 jaskirat has quit IRC
20:45 sidhant has quit IRC
20:46 kipply <kipply!~kipply@CPEa84e3f5ba833-CMa84e3f5ba830.cpe.net.fido.ca> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:22 sidhant <sidhant!~smuxi@116.74.43.112> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:06 llaske has quit IRC
22:07 Hrishi has quit IRC
22:10 sidhant has quit IRC
22:22 llaske <llaske!~llaske@2a01cb00074daf00bcdaba2e915​14fa9.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:26 llaske has quit IRC

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster