Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2016-10-07

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
11:13 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:00 satellit_e has quit IRC
16:54 Cerlyn <Cerlyn!~ALIEN@107-143-88-205.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:32 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@pool-108-20-235-245.bstnma.fios.verizon.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:54 samsongoddy <samsongoddy!~samson@41.190.2.161> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:54 walterbender hi samsongoddy
18:55 CanoeBerry, you there?
18:55 ClaudiaU, ping
18:55 samsongoddy Hello all
18:55 walterbender hi
18:55 Cerlyn Thanks to Hurricane Matthew (which largely was a rain event for Miami) I can watch today :)
18:55 walterbender Cerlyn, :)
18:56 Cerlyn, I left Miami Wednesday evening rather than risk getting stuck
18:56 Cerlyn North Florida is getting hit hard though
18:56 walterbender so I hear
18:57 bernie has quit IRC
18:57 Cerlyn If I knew you were in the area for something I would have wandered down
18:57 bernie <bernie!bernie@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:57 tony37 <tony37!~tony@cpe-2606-A000-AFC3-4100-8993-​5E89-D563-A270.dyn6.twc.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:57 sverma <sverma!~sverma@130.212.93.255> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:57 walterbender tony37, hi
18:57 sverma, hi
18:57 sverma Hello!
18:57 samsongoddy Hello tony37
18:58 ibiamchihurumnay <ibiamchihurumnay!294f0706@gateway/web/freenode/ip.41.79.7.6> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:58 tony37 hello samson
18:58 ibiamchihurumnay hello everyone
18:59 Quozl` <Quozl`!~quozl@owl.laptop.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:59 ibiamchihurumnay has quit IRC
18:59 llaske <llaske!~chatzilla@AVelizy-152-1-29-12.w82-120.abo.wanadoo.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:59 walterbender waiting for CanoeBerry and or ClaudiaU
18:59 llaske hi all,
18:59 walterbender OK.
18:59 we have a quorum :)
18:59 llaske nice !
18:59 sverma Woohoo
18:59 walterbender #start-meeting
18:59 meeting Meeting started Fri Oct  7 18:59:41 2016 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:59 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
18:59 Quozl` observing
18:59 walterbender #topic Turtle Art Day(s)
19:00 Ibiam <Ibiam!294f0706@gateway/web/freenode/ip.41.79.7.6> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:00 walterbender Just a quick status report
19:00 re Paraguay, we managed to get the US Embassy to cover airfare for everyone but Artemis Papert (she is not a US citizen)
19:00 Ibiam hello everyone
19:01 tony37 hello ibiam
19:01 walterbender It is looking to be a nice event (two days of EdTech in Asuncion, including a focus on Sugar) and then Turtle Art Day in Caacupe.
19:02 Re Uruguay, one of the people I worked with in Chile has agreed to go to help with Music Blocks.
19:02 JM shared a link:
19:02 Claudia_ <Claudia_!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:02 Ibiam hello tony37
19:02 walterbender #link http://www.anep.edu.uy/anep/in[…]n-en-la-educacion
19:02 and Nigeria
19:02 Ibiam hello Claudia_
19:02 Claudia_ hello
19:03 walterbender After discussion, we decided to postpone until Q1 of next year.
19:03 Claudia_ hi walterbender
19:03 walterbender Hi Claudia_
19:03 Ibiam sounds great
19:03 Claudia_ i have missed so many meetings... sorry
19:03 walterbender the plan to piggy back onto the Ed Tech conference in Abuja fell through so we are regrouping
19:03 Claudia_ the schedule of Friday afternoon is not working so well for me
19:04 sverma has quit IRC
19:04 walterbender I am hoping tony37 can make a separate trip when he is next in Africa to check on the OLPC/Sugar schools in Nigeria
19:04 sverma <sverma!~sverma@130.212.93.255> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:04 walterbender Meanwhile, Devin and I will be doing a Music Blocks workshop at LibreLearnLab this weekend at MIT
19:04 Claudia_ nice.. is Cynthia presenting?
19:05 walterbender Cynthia is presenting as well... a tribute to Seymour Papert
19:05 Claudia_ nice
19:05 walterbender Speaking of Seymour...
19:05 #topic next release
19:05 Claudia_ I dont have the agenda
19:05 walterbender Sam send email to sugar-devel announcing some test versions of the new release.
19:06 Please encourage everyone to do some testing so we can find any issues with the release
19:06 But I was thinking, maybe we can dedicate the next release to Seymour?
19:07 or actually, Seymour and Marvin?
19:07 tony37 Is there a way to test this release on an XO
19:07 walterbender tony37, Not sure anyone has bundled it for XO yet. Please ask on sugar-devel
19:07 Claudia_ great idea
19:07 llaske +1
19:08 walterbender I guess I should make a formal motion
19:08 Claudia_ testing & dedication
19:08 walterbender Motion: To dedicate the upcoming Sugar release to Marvin Minsky and Seymour Papert in honor of their numerous contributions to technology and learning
19:08 scg has quit IRC
19:09 Claudia_ +1
19:09 tony37 Second the motion
19:09 scg <scg!scg@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:09 walterbender tony37, tnx
19:09 Claudia_ +1
19:09 walterbender +1
19:09 llaske +1
19:09 tony37 +1 on the motion
19:09 walterbender sverma, ?
19:10 Ibiam has quit IRC
19:10 sverma +1
19:10 walterbender motion passes :)
19:11 Claudia_ :)
19:11 walterbender I will ask JM and Adam to vote by email.
19:11 samsongoddy hi tony37
19:11 walterbender #topic Google
19:11 samsongoddy did you see my reply
19:11 walterbender Just quickly
19:12 Lionel and Michael will be representing Sugar Labs at the GSoC Mentor summit in a few weeks
19:12 llaske Yes, will be great
19:12 walterbender But we also need to start thinking about whether or not we want to do GCI again this year
19:12 llaske What's the timing ?
19:12 walterbender I think I should have time to take the lead again, but I will need help.
19:13 llaske, I don't know yet. I don't think it has been announced.
19:13 llaske I could help like for GSoC
19:13 docverma <docverma!~sverma@2607:fb90:a426:1a5d:af16:34a8:fe5f:c5da> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:13 walterbender llaske, thanks.
19:13 Ibiam <Ibiam!294f0706@gateway/web/freenode/ip.41.79.7.6> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:14 tony37 I should be able to help as well
19:14 Ibiam sorry i left, connection issues
19:14 walterbender I will try to get samP to be involved again. And maybe I can get ignacio to help again.
19:14 llaske Guess that Michael will help too
19:14 walterbender OK. I will track the info from Google and report in (at our next meeting)
19:15 llaske, enjoy the Mentor Summit and please give my regards to Steph and Cat
19:15 llaske Sure I'll do
19:15 walterbender #topic i18n
19:15 samsongoddy Finally
19:15 walterbender CLJ send email re gearing up for the new release
19:15 Claudia_ my admiration for walterbender... not to let this project fade... so much work
19:15 walterbender and also, tip of the hat to Samson and the team for the work on Yoruba
19:16 samsongoddy I just spoke with the two schools
19:16 sverma has quit IRC
19:16 walterbender ( still a few broken strings in Turtle :P )
19:16 samsongoddy seems like I will drafting calabar and one other language for the two schools
19:16 walterbender samsongoddy, are the schools interested in Sugar/Yoruba?
19:17 is not familiar with calabar
19:17 samsongoddy Calabar is for the school for Akwa Ibom
19:18 walterbender consults Google
19:18 it is a region. Is it also a language?
19:19 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:19 samsongoddy I will be drafting for two languages for the schools
19:19 walterbender samsongoddy, I don't understand what "drafting for two languages" means
19:20 Ibiam the language is efik
19:21 samsongoddy proposing two languages for the schools
19:21 walterbender it is a dialect of Ibo?
19:21 samsongoddy no.. but the bayelsa seems like one
19:21 Ibiam nope
19:22 it's a language on it's own
19:22 samsongoddy The Niger Delta is complicated in terms of languages
19:22 walterbender well, would be great if there are some schools interested
19:22 OK...
19:22 #topic elections
19:22 As you know, we have 3 seats opening up at the end of the year.
19:23 DaveC has been working with SamC on getting a voting system in place.
19:23 But we need to get some candidates lined up as well
19:23 sverma <sverma!~sverma@2607:fb90:a426:1a5d:72eb:819:bb77:2a36> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:23 walterbender so, a gentle push to recruit
19:24 anything else re the election?
19:25 samsongoddy I am not sure
19:25 walterbender I have a few other odds and ends to discuss and then I will open to floor to other topics.
19:25 #topic design school
19:25 Some of you know that I have been working on establishing a new college for industrial design in Miami
19:26 I finally got my license, so I can talk about it publicly :)
19:26 samsongoddy wow finally
19:26 Ibiam great :)
19:26 llaske oh interesting
19:26 samsongoddy that's nice
19:26 walterbender It is modeled on the same underlying pedagogy as Sugar: you learn through doing.
19:26 llaske what mean "industrial design" ?
19:26 walterbender We will open next summer in the Wynwood neighborhood of Miami
19:27 llaske is it for designing things ?
19:27 Claudia_ sat will be a good opportunity to recruit
19:27 walterbender Industrial Design is the design of things
19:27 but things are everything
19:27 docverma has quit IRC
19:27 walterbender so it is more about the process than any particular thing
19:27 llaske okay
19:28 good luck on this new adventure
19:28 walterbender it is my attempt to build an undergraduate program modeled after what we did for graduate education at the Media Lab
19:28 sverma Interesting
19:28 walterbender I have put together a first pass a a website for the school at:
19:28 miamicollegedesign.github.io/home
19:28 samsongoddy yes verified page on Facebook
19:29 walterbender more details coming soon.
19:29 samsongoddy twitter still in development right?
19:30 walterbender alas, I cannot issue student visas for a few years and I need to be running for at least one year before I can apply to the program to issue visa, so alas, no i18n students to start :P
19:30 but the intention is an international program
19:30 samsongoddy okay
19:30 sounds cooler
19:30 walterbender anyway, that is what has been taking most of my cycles the past 18 months
19:30 Ibiam waiting for one year wouldn't be a problem then
19:31 walterbender hence my lack of patches :)
19:31 but...
19:31 #topic music blocks
19:31 devin and I are gearing up to release v1.0
19:31 Claudia_ good work
19:31 walterbender we'd love more testing
19:31 Ibiam hoooray!!!!
19:32 walterbender I did a major overhaul of how notes are defined recently and also got some help with some of the synth issues I was having
19:32 so now we have voices, e.g., cello, violin, etc. I will add a few more before v1.0
19:32 Claudia_ teachers in india are enjoying Tblocks
19:32 walterbender give it a spin
19:33 Claudia_, great.
19:33 I would love to have them try MB too
19:33 It supports non-Western modes
19:33 in fact, playing with modes in MB is really fun
19:33 Claudia_ join telegram and you can read their comments
19:33 walterbender also, I recently added a drum machine
19:34 doesn't know "telegram"
19:34 Claudia_ phone app
19:34 walterbender I have tried to stick to the principal that everything is programmable, so you can even program the program status
19:35 Claudia_, I will look into it
19:35 Claudia_ ok
19:35 walterbender anyway, that is my news
19:35 any other topics for today?
19:35 Oh...
19:35 #topic LibreLearnLab
19:35 cjl <cjl!~chatzilla@2601:147:8500:1d:223:69ff:fe00:2e1c> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:35 walterbender tomorrow and Sunday at MIT
19:36 librelearnlab.org
19:36 Stallman is giving a keynote
19:36 Cynthia too
19:36 free to students :)
19:36 E51-315
19:36 now I am done :)
19:37 cjl hi all
19:37 walterbender hi cjl
19:37 cjl, anything to report re i18n?
19:37 cjl hi walterbender I'd like to talk to you ABOUT l10N INTO gUARANI BEFORE YOU GO TO pARAGUAY.
19:38 walterbender cjl, OK.
19:38 I am going I leave on the 18th
19:38 cjl walterbender: To report, Samson's Yoruba has been landed, amajor update to sugar-toolkit-gtk3 has been posted.
19:39 walterbender cjl, thx
19:39 cjl, I am getting ready to release v1 of Music Blocks; it is in string freeze
19:39 cjl What I want to discuss with you is the possibility of getting a guarani effort going, I have been chatting with the guy doing Guarani LibreOffice with their Liguistics Dept.
19:40 walterbender as opposed to woodwind freeze
19:40 cjl, I will gladly pursue it when I am in PY
19:40 tony37 Is there any way we can get our learners to provide these translations?
19:41 cjl Idea would be to get paraguayEduca on board top deploym PY_gov linguistics to do the L10n.
19:41 samsongoddy cjl, I am working on a proposal for two languages for some schools in Nigeria. can you help me in drafting
19:41 walterbender cjl, OK. Maybe I can get PYEduca to join us in a chat before I go?
19:42 cjl tony37: It has long been a wish.  There was a nice push in Guarani by users a while back, but it faded.  The possible cost from Govt lingusitics dept is potentially crazy cheap and at crazy high quality.
19:43 tony37: I'll post to IAEP about what I'm imaining, but at this point is is "pire-in-the-sky" and many changes are posible
19:44 walterbender maybe we should wrap up the meeting before the server disappears?
19:44 cjl walterbender: Chatting with them would be great.  No point in getting strings without making sure they land in user's hands.
19:44 walterbender anything else for the formal discussion?
19:44 cjl, I will ping Pattie right now
19:44 tony37 Unfortunately wishes don't necessarily result in action. I offered an activity Lion to help with this process but it has received no response. It is hard to spend time on this if it is not going to even get a test.
19:44 sverma Just informational
19:44 We are going to host OLPC SF Community Summit 2016 on Nov 5 & 6. More details at http://olpcsf.org tomorrow.
19:44 cjl samsongoddy: SHOOT ME AN E-MAIL.
19:45 samsongoddy okay
19:46 walterbender sverma, thx
19:47 tony37, maybe one of the schools you work with would be willing to test?
19:47 Claudia_ no really
19:47 walterbender has quit IRC
19:47 satellit has quit IRC
19:47 tony37 Walter - that is possible, but I think it needs confirmation from the translate.sugarlabs.org team that the results can be accepted by these professionals.
19:48 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@pool-108-20-235-245.bstnma.fios.verizon.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:49 cjl tony37: If they have internet access, we don' t need a local app for bootstrapping, they can work right on Poolte or offline with Virtaal.
19:49 walterbender I hope we didn't lose anyone
19:49 sverma Still here
19:49 tony37 cjl that is my point - apparently translation is not valid unless it is done with professional linguistic tools
19:50 Tonyf <Tonyf!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:50 cjl Not invalid, jsut harder to share and leverage.
19:50 satellit <satellit!~satellit@2601:602:200:94f1:7d50:2890:caf9:6e1e> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:51 tony37 It is easily possible to do Turtleblocks using the import turtle module in python - but that approach is not easy to enter as Turtleblocks.
19:51 Our task is to provide the capability to build to primary school students with limited computer experience.
19:54 walterbender anything else?
19:54 cjl I'd rather see a sugar wrapper on Virtaal than a from-scratch L10n editor.  There is just too much complexity in i18n/L10n (e.g. plutrals, left-to-right, etc.) to not leverage what is already i nVirtaal (not to mention tranlsation memory features).
19:55 tony37 this is not the place to discuss the details, I am only trying to point in the direction of constructionism. Obviously, if the translators are translating from English to their own native language, plurals are not a problem.
19:56 Quozl` has quit IRC
19:56 ClaudiaU has quit IRC
19:57 ClaudiaU <ClaudiaU!~ClaudiaU@activation.laptop.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:57 meeting * ClaudiaU-es has joined
19:58 walterbender tony37, maybe you and cjl can come up with a plan and report in next time?
19:58 tony37, but I don't think there is any fundamental disagreement.
19:59 Quozl` <Quozl`!~quozl@download.laptop.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:59 walterbender I need to go in a few minutes
19:59 any other topics for today?
19:59 I will write up the minutes
19:59 thanks everyone
20:00 tony37 bye
20:00 llaske bye
20:00 sverma Thank you :-)
20:00 tony37 has quit IRC
20:00 sverma Bye
20:00 llaske has quit IRC
20:01 Tonyf has quit IRC
20:01 samsongoddy has quit IRC
20:01 walterbender #end-meeting
20:01 meeting Meeting ended Fri Oct  7 20:01:29 2016 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
20:01 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-07T18:59:41.html
20:01 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]16-10-07T18:59:41
20:02 Claudia_ has quit IRC
20:03 Quozl` has left #sugar-meeting
20:07 satellit has quit IRC
20:08 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
20:09 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!~CanoeBerr@216.126.196.39> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:09 satellit <satellit!~satellit@2601:602:200:94f1:7d50:2890:caf9:6e1e> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:10 walterbender has quit IRC
20:12 Ibiam has quit IRC
20:12 sverma has quit IRC
20:22 reubencaron_ has quit IRC
20:22 MelissaHT has quit IRC
20:23 reubencaron <reubencaron!~reubencar@download.laptop.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:23 MelissaHT <MelissaHT!~quassel@owl.laptop.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:23 meeting * MelissaHT-es has joined
20:33 ClaudiaU has quit IRC
20:33 cjl has quit IRC
20:33 ignacio has quit IRC
20:33 bernie has quit IRC
20:33 reubencaron has quit IRC
20:33 MelissaHT has quit IRC
20:33 satellit has quit IRC
20:34 scg has quit IRC
20:34 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
20:34 Cerlyn has quit IRC
20:34 icarito has quit IRC
20:34 neyder has quit IRC
20:34 m_anish` has quit IRC
20:34 ajay has quit IRC
20:34 sridhar has quit IRC
20:34 kaametza has quit IRC
20:34 ChanServ has quit IRC
20:34 meeting has quit IRC
20:34 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:39 ignacio <ignacio!bip@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:39 bernie <bernie!bernie@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:39 ClaudiaU <ClaudiaU!~ClaudiaU@activation.laptop.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:40 reubencaron <reubencaron!~reubencar@download.laptop.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:41 cjl <cjl!~chatzilla@2601:147:8500:1d:223:69ff:fe00:2e1c> has joined #sugar-meeting

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster