Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2016-06-10

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
01:12 elih <elih!~eli@ool-18b9572a.dyn.optonline.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
02:12 elih has quit IRC
03:31 elih <elih!~eliheuer@ool-18b9572a.dyn.optonline.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
09:08 dzho has quit IRC
10:13 samtoday <samtoday!~samtoday@124-171-72-79.dyn.iinet.net.au> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:25 samtoday has quit IRC
10:38 samtoday <samtoday!~samtoday@124-171-72-79.dyn.iinet.net.au> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:38 samtoday has quit IRC
10:58 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:12 mohayon <mohayon!~mohayon@2a01:e35:139d:ecf0:c68e:8fff:fef6:ca15> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:12 mohayon is now known as mohayon_
11:15 samtoday <samtoday!~samtoday@124-171-72-79.dyn.iinet.net.au> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:15 samtoday meeting ping
11:15 meeting pong
11:37 yagarwal <yagarwal!67157d4f@gateway/web/freenode/ip.103.21.125.79> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:38 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@173.48.24.253> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:43 lp1 <lp1!~lupin@89-92-147-163.hfc.dyn.abo.bbox.fr> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:50 walterbender hi lp1
11:50 lp1 walterbender hi ! Hi everyone
11:53 elih hello all
11:53 walterbender hi
11:57 AbrahmAB <AbrahmAB!310f3349@gateway/web/freenode/ip.49.15.51.73> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:58 walterbender hi AbrahmAB
11:58 AbrahmAB hi walterbender
11:59 tony37 <tony37!~tony@vpn17.hotsplots.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:59 mohayon_ is now known as mohayon
11:59 yagarwal hello everyone!
11:59 tony37 Hello
12:00 samtoday hi AbrahmAB, how are you?
12:01 AbrahmAB f9.. still working on *project* collab
12:01 i mean the FT, I went for the wrong approach last day :(
12:01 walterbender shall we begin?
12:02 samtoday AbrahmAB: that's ok
12:02 walterbender hemant cannot join this morning, but has been making good headway this week on the Rhytm Ruler
12:02 it plays back now and exports
12:03 samtoday AbrahmAB: most things with telepathy seem to involve a few failures... it is a confusing tech
12:03 walterbender just some cleaning up (support for multiple overlapping rhythins) and we'll be good
12:03 AbrahmAB samtoday: I still have doubt. For FT approach, how will the participants get updated when new activity is added to project?
12:03 walterbender AbrahmAB, why don't you begin... tell us about your week
12:03 #start-meeting
12:03 meeting Meeting started Fri Jun 10 12:03:57 2016 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
12:03 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
12:04 samtoday AbrahmAB: no I don't think they would... why don't we talk more about the approach that you were aiming for first?
12:04 AbrahmAB Hi all, I am woking on sharing the *project*
12:05 As per my approach, let project be treated as *activity* and collab it with other users, this will keep user updated about new activitis added or reomved
12:06 samtoday ah, that makes sense now.  That is a good approach
12:06 AbrahmAB just like activities like write or physics have collabwrapper or textwrapper project will have its own wrapper keeping track of changes in each and every activity
12:07 samtoday can you explain a little more on what that means?
12:07 does that involve changing the activity code?
12:07 does taht
12:07 sorry
12:08 AbrahmAB It will have keep udating the list of activity_ids in project
12:09 updating*
12:10 as you said for FT approach just sending a file with list of activities under proj, my approach will keep a track of instances of activities shared
12:11 samtoday AbrahmAB:  so for treating each project as an activity, does that mean basically using a CollabWrapper (or simmilar) to do the comminications?
12:12 AbrahmAB samtoday: yes
12:12 samtoday ok
12:12 ah, we can do that!
12:12 AbrahmAB samtoday: I think this might be better for further development like offline sync. am I right?
12:13 samtoday AbrahmAB: so if we have a comms channel for all the buddies in the project, that is good.  Then they can know who is disconnected.
12:13 that probably helps offline sync?
12:14 AbrahmAB: do you want to make a pad to write out the design details?  https://etherpad.net/p/journal-projects
12:14 AbrahmAB like whenever user gets connected, the collabwarpper would run in background and chk for changes in any activities and notify the user for same
12:15 walterbender AbrahmAB, what action does the user take after notification?
12:15 can they request updated objs from the datastore?
12:15 samtoday AbrahmAB: you are so smart.  this is exactly what a text channel is designed for!!  A long running conversation over a group of people!
12:17 AbrahmAB walterbender: as per my discussion with Sam, there are a few cases, so we can allow users to either update the shared obj with the local obj or the reverse
12:17 samtoday: :)
12:17 walterbender we should let some others report in... thank AbrahmAB
12:18 lp1, wanna update us?
12:18 lp1 sure :)
12:18 AbrahmAB walterbender: welcum
12:18 lp1 This week I mostly worked on the interaction between JavaScript and Java(Android) code,
12:18 I've been able to call from my sugarizeros javascript plugin a Java method to retrieve my application list and I managed to regroup the modifications made by my cordova plugins into one plugin : https://github.com/lupin012345[…]lugin-sugarizeros. We had a meeting with Lionel Laské and Michael Ohayon, and they oriented me through a documentation phase before starting the next major code updates.
12:18 So I have made a more explicit readme for the SugarizerOS repo (https://github.com/lupin012345/SugarizerOS) with the deployment and installation steps and right now I'm writing a specification for my JavaScript API so I will explicitly know what I am going to implement function by function : https://github.com/lupin012345[…]pt_interface.json.
12:19 walterbender lp1, great
12:19 I am in Chile next week and there are lots of people interested in doing some Sugar web hacking
12:19 (and Python samtoday :)
12:20 have some up-to-date docs will be helpful
12:20 samtoday :) I'll have a look at the state of the sugar3 docs
12:23 walterbender yagarwal, wanna jump in?
12:23 lp1, I'll review your documentation this weekend.
12:23 lp1 Ok ! Thanks :)
12:23 yagarwal sure, I tried a lot things this week but got stuck on the following
12:24 1. Setting up Travis CI for our sugar repo-- I have reported the issue with travis ci developers here(https://github.com/travis-ci/t[…]s-ci/issues/6152)
12:24 2. Working with observer Pattern:  because the font data files need to be updated every time user makes a change in the data and the View has to be updated every time the user clicks a button or iteracts with view -- I have been reading on this and plan to finsish this issue over the weekend There is no extensive documentation available for pyGObject (most of it is for C)
12:24 3. Working with imports and exports I went through the code for fontmake and fonttools but neither of them do the complete job of converting a ufo font file to a .ttf and vice versa now I am working with extract(https://github.com/typesupply/extractor) as suggested by Dave and will be able to implement the export/import over the weekend
12:28 elih looks good Yash :)
12:29 walterbender yagarwal, sounds like good progress
12:29 vikram_ <vikram_!uid165104@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-ftydvsblglbzjwiv> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:29 walterbender elih, any chance to try besier curves in turtle yet?
12:29 :)
12:30 send me some data to try to import.
12:30 things a plugin for importing a font would be fun
12:30 vikram_, hello
12:30 vikram_ Walter hi, did i miss the meeting? i had a very poor internet connection
12:31 walterbender vikram_, I will find you the link for the backlog
12:31 vikram_, so I have been thinking...
12:31 elih Walter and Yash: I've been AFK and preoccupied starting a new job this week.
12:31 walterbender (doesn't happen often)
12:31 elih, no hurry... just curious
12:32 elih, I suspect my current scheme might run into issues with fill... not sure.
12:33 vikram_, anyway... I have been bumping my head against all sorts of cross-origin issues
12:33 I am hopeful that the git backend will help
12:35 elih I have been experimenting with using CSS to style GTK buttons...
12:35 walterbender has had a busy time with his Day Job this week too
12:35 samtoday might have some recommendations
12:35 vikram_ And also i could not do much this week as i had very less power and Internet connection in the city. Yes gitbackend will definitely help
12:35 elih Can anyone recommend a python gtk sugar activity that does this well?
12:36 samtoday for gtk?
12:36 elih i haven't been able to find one.
12:36 yes
12:37 yagarwal there are some demos for CSS in gtk here https://git.gnome.org/browse/p[…]tk-demo/demos/Css
12:37 walterbender vikram_, FYI #link http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]ng/meetings/today
12:38 yagarwal they only cover the basics but may be useful in starting things
12:38 samtoday elih: an activity that uses gtk well?  an activity that uses gtk css?
12:38 elih thanks Yash, I'll haven't looked at these yet.
12:38 gtk css
12:40 I'm wondering if there is a reason more gtk activities don't use CSS to style buttons, backgrounds, etc...
12:42 walterbender elih, we abstracted most of the need for that away in the Sugar toolkit
12:42 yagarwal can someone recommend an sugar python/gtk activity which has with multiple screens/UI's, so that I can look through the source code and draw some inspiration :)
12:42 walterbender elih, but samtoday has been updating the toolkit itself to make better use of CSS
12:42 yagarwal or maybe an activity with oberserver pattern
12:42 walterbender yagarwal, multiple screens is contrary to the sugar design guidelines
12:42 we try to avoid it
12:43 but we do have some activities with multiple tabs
12:43 samtoday PopWindows for the win!
12:43 walterbender like terminal, pippy, browse
12:43 and we have different modes, like speak
12:44 turtle overlays the modes ontop of each other and you can hide the individual layers
12:44 but we don't tend to use a lot of windows inside windows...
12:44 elih Walter: ok, that makes sense
12:44 vikram_ I will have a look at it
12:45 samtoday elih: for looking at gtkcss, have you see the gtk+ inspector?
12:45 Ctrl-Shift-I
12:46 walterbender did I miss anyone today re updates?
12:46 samtoday elih: sorry, I need to go.   I'm always happy to talk about gtk if you want.  or there is probably actual people who know about gtk on #gtk :)
12:46 samtoday has quit IRC
12:48 tony37 I think Utkarsh is getting ready for his trip to Nepal. He has just finished exams, so not much progress to report. I should finish traveling on Tuesday and be ready for more focus on this.
12:49 walterbender tony37, thx
12:50 lp1, mohayon did you guys see the question ricar posted to the lists about sugar web?
12:50 he was having trouble with downloads inside sugarweb?
12:51 lp1 I did, looked at his code a little bit but didn't run it yet to try
12:52 walterbender I couldn't see where he was trying to download
12:52 if you guys could follow up with him, would be great.
12:52 lp1 Ok :)
12:53 mohayon Yes, we'll look at it :)
12:54 walterbender thx
12:54 OK... we should wrap up.
12:54 thanks all for reporting in and for the hard work.
12:54 Next week we mentors have to do mid-term evaluations
12:55 so make us proud :)
12:55 AbrahmAB sure :D
12:55 walterbender ttyl
12:55 #end-meeting
12:55 tony37 bye
12:55 meeting Meeting ended Fri Jun 10 12:55:25 2016 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
12:55 lp1 bye
12:55 meeting Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-10T12:03:57.html
12:55 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]16-06-10T12:03:57
12:55 tony37 has quit IRC
12:55 lp1 has quit IRC
12:56 mohayon has quit IRC
12:59 AbrahmAB has quit IRC
12:59 pikurasa <pikurasa!~Icedove@2601:184:4200:2904:e8d4:dd58:44eb:4ade> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:32 walterbender pikurasa, hi
13:32 pikurasa walterbender:
13:32 hi
13:33 walterbender pikurasa, the drum problem with Safari is apparently just with one version
13:33 pikurasa Oh, okay.
13:33 walterbender Apple changed the way they handle inline data URLs
13:33 and then backed out of the change
13:33 from what I have read.
13:33 I have not tested this though
13:34 I had no problem with the drums using Chrome on the same machine
13:35 pikurasa okay.
13:35 At any rate, I thought that it is a great idea.
13:35 It opens up the possibility for a lot of great sounds.
13:36 And makes the fact that it is browser-based (on the network) worthwhile, I think.
13:41 walterbender:  October 20th is a Thursday. If you give be notice by the beginning of August, I should be able to plan for it.
13:42 walterbender OK. I am waiting to hear back from PY
13:42 pikurasa What is PY?
13:42 Paraguay?
13:43 I need to sign of. TTYL.
13:52 pikurasa has quit IRC
14:00 yagarwal has quit IRC
14:47 mohayon <mohayon!~mohayon@193.164.156.100> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:47 mohayon has quit IRC
14:52 eli_h <eli_h!~eli@ool-18b9572a.dyn.optonline.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:57 eli_h has quit IRC
15:18 pikurasa <pikurasa!~Icedove@2601:184:4600:9c00:e8d4:dd58:44eb:4ade> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:25 pikurasa walterbender: I am currently doing research for our article. Felt motivated.
15:25 Expect a draft of an abstract sometime today.
15:40 Reading about Ethics in various areas. Currently "Ethics in Arts and Arts Education".... fascinating
16:18 walterbender not familiar with it.
16:19 pikurasa Not a book. Reading "Ethics", which is an encyclopedia of ethics topics. Reading through each topic I think is pertinent.
16:21 Because it is the "ethics" word that people get hung up on when discussing technology--people do not usually associate the two. However, if you think of "ethics" for education or arts, it becomes much more obvious.
16:21 So, I am reading up on it.
16:23 *"Ethics in Arts and Arts Education" is not a book, but "Ethics" is the collection of books.
16:31 Why does arts need the modifier in the clause, "to promote the progress of science and the useful arts."? Why not just "to promote the progress of science and the arts"? and assume there are useful (and useless) applications of both?
16:58 dzho <dzho!~dzho@unaffiliated/dzho> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:01 pikurasa has quit IRC
17:08 walterbender has quit IRC
17:43 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@173.48.24.253> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:48 vikram_ has quit IRC
18:05 pikurasa <pikurasa!~Icedove@2601:184:4600:9c00:e8d4:dd58:44eb:4ade> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:54 walterbender has quit IRC
19:09 pikurasa has quit IRC
20:12 elih has quit IRC
20:45 pikurasa <pikurasa!~Icedove@2601:184:4200:2904:e8d4:dd58:44eb:4ade> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:31 pikurasa has quit IRC
21:31 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@173.48.24.253> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:18 walterbender has quit IRC
22:22 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@173.48.24.253> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:33 walterbender has quit IRC

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster