Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2015-09-14

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:17 satellit has quit IRC
00:17 satellit <satellit!~Thomas@c-76-28-209-233.hsd1.wa.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:26 satellit_e has quit IRC
03:29 satellit_e <satellit_e!~satellit@2601:602:200:ce50:c23f:d5ff:fe6a:eb77> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:19 bernie has quit IRC
10:19 kaametza has quit IRC
10:19 alsroot has quit IRC
10:19 ajay has quit IRC
10:21 icarito has quit IRC
10:22 icarito <icarito!~icarito@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:23 ajay <ajay!~ajay@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:23 alsroot <alsroot!~alsroot@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:23 alsroot has quit IRC
10:23 alsroot <alsroot!~alsroot@pdpc/supporter/active/antilopa-gnu> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:23 kaametza <kaametza!~kaametza@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:24 bernie <bernie!~bernie@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:09 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:33 bernie has quit IRC
11:34 ajay has quit IRC
11:34 alsroot has quit IRC
11:34 ajay <ajay!~ajay@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:34 alsroot <alsroot!~alsroot@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:34 alsroot has quit IRC
11:34 alsroot <alsroot!~alsroot@pdpc/supporter/active/antilopa-gnu> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:34 bernie <bernie!~bernie@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:55 pikurasa <pikurasa!~Thunderbi@c-73-167-118-213.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:20 satellit_e has quit IRC
14:45 pikurasa has quit IRC
15:00 pikurasa <pikurasa!~Thunderbi@c-73-167-118-213.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:21 satellit_e <satellit_e!~satellit@2601:602:200:ce50:c23f:d5ff:fe6a:eb77> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:08 bernie has quit IRC
16:08 alsroot has quit IRC
16:08 ajay has quit IRC
16:08 kaametza has quit IRC
16:08 icarito has quit IRC
16:09 icarito <icarito!~icarito@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:09 kaametza <kaametza!~kaametza@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:09 alsroot <alsroot!~alsroot@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:09 alsroot has quit IRC
16:09 alsroot <alsroot!~alsroot@pdpc/supporter/active/antilopa-gnu> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:09 ajay <ajay!~ajay@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:09 bernie <bernie!~bernie@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:09 pikurasa has quit IRC
17:31 bernie has quit IRC
17:32 bernie <bernie!~bernie@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:32 ajay has quit IRC
17:32 ajay <ajay!~ajay@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:53 ajay has quit IRC
17:53 bernie has quit IRC
17:53 icarito has quit IRC
17:53 kaametza has quit IRC
17:53 alsroot has quit IRC
17:55 bernie <bernie!~bernie@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:55 alsroot <alsroot!~alsroot@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:55 alsroot has quit IRC
17:55 alsroot <alsroot!~alsroot@pdpc/supporter/active/antilopa-gnu> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:55 ajay` <ajay`!~ajay@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:55 icarito <icarito!~icarito@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:55 kaametza <kaametza!~kaametza@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:59 bernie has quit IRC
19:48 tch__ <tch__!~tch@181.120.97.184> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:48 tch__ has quit IRC
20:58 Quozl` .
22:26 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
22:49 Quozl` .
22:51 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@146-115-134-246.c3-0.nwt-ubr​1.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:56 Quozl` walterbender: hi.
22:57 walterbender hi Quozl`
22:57 good morning
22:58 let's hope for a quorum this time :)
22:58 samdroid <samdroid!~sam@180.200.159.79> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:59 walterbender ClaudiaU_, ping
23:01 aargh... fewer SLOB members than even last week.
23:01 we need to rethink this structure
23:02 JM_ <JM_!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:03 meeting * Jose_Miguel-es has joined
23:03 <Jose_Miguel-es> Hello!
23:03 walterbender JM_, hola
23:04 JM_, we wait again for our peers to appear :P
23:04 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> What such, Walter?
23:04 <Jose_Miguel-es> *Ok
23:04 walterbender JM_, I have been working on Music Blocks
23:04 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> Excellent!
23:04 walterbender it is the music extension to Turtle Blocks
23:04 it will be very cool when I am finished
23:05 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> If...
23:05 <Jose_Miguel-es> *Yes...
23:05 <Jose_Miguel-es> Sure!
23:05 walterbender I have a workshop planned with the conductor of the Miami orchestra to use it
23:05 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> *Uh!
23:05 walterbender but I have many bugs to fix before it is usable
23:05 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> Very good!
23:05 <Jose_Miguel-es> :(
23:06 <Jose_Miguel-es> Have planned some trip south? We are seeing to do the *Tortugart *day
23:06 walterbender JM_, I have 20 hours of traveling to Dubai tomorrow... hopefully I can use it to kill some bugs :)
23:07 It would be great to do another Tortugart Day in Montevideo
23:07 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> ;) Dubai is not near of Montevideo... ;)
23:07 walterbender not too close, no
23:07 I think it will be a separate trip
23:11 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!CanoeBerry@dhcp-18-189-21-60.dyn.mit.edu> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:11 walterbender CanoeBerry, it is just you, JM_ and me again so far
23:12 CanoeBerry o dear~
23:12 walterbender I have a bunch of things we need to "vote" on. I guess I can send an email and do it that way.
23:14 Quozl` comment; as long as you get votes from every member, sure.  if you don't, then it doesn't work as a process.  ;-)  if people try to reply and change what is being voted on, it also doesn't work well.
23:15 (been there with other orgs).
23:15 walterbender Quozl`, I agree. would much rather have a meeting... but two confirmed members are once again no shows
23:16 Quozl` might be time to ask them why.
23:16 walterbender FWIW, we have an ask from the SFC regarding our trademark
23:17 gonzalo <gonzalo!~gonzalo@190.173.6.58> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:17 walterbender ah... a quorum
23:17 let's get started
23:17 #start-meeting
23:17 gonzalo hello all
23:17 meeting Meeting started Mon Sep 14 23:17:25 2015 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
23:17 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
23:17 <Jose_Miguel-es> Excellent...
23:17 Quozl` attends as observer
23:17 walterbender great to have a quorum :)
23:17 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> Hello!
23:17 walterbender #topic trademark
23:18 Did everyone see the note from the SFC regarding our trademark?
23:18 gonzalo yes
23:18 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> *Yes.
23:18 walterbender from tony: Hi, all: FYI, I will be filing affidavits required to maintain the
23:18 registration of Sugar Labs' trademarks[1] with the USPTO. The affidavit
23:18 filing fees amount to $100/registered mark, or $200, and are required to
23:18 maintain the registrations.
23:18 I think we should approve this
23:19 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> Of agreement.
23:19 walterbender let me make a formal motion and we can discuss before a vote
23:20 motion: approve the expenditure of $600 on maintaining our trademark as per the notification from Tony Sebro of the SFC
23:20 anyone to second the motion?
23:21 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> It is a problem abandon the mark, as it runs  the risk that it was registered by others, for afterwards earn by his use.
23:21 claudia_ <claudia_!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:21 walterbender hi claudia
23:21 claudia_ hello
23:21 walterbender we are discussing the trademark maintenance
23:21 claudia_ how are you?
23:21 CanoeBerry Can we get a rough reminder how much is "in the bank" ?
23:21 walterbender JM_, I think the issue is that we want to ensure that no one uses our mark to mislead others
23:22 CanoeBerry, I don't know... that remains opaque.
23:22 CanoeBerry, but that said, we just got a 6K donation from Google
23:22 as a thank you for GCI
23:22 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> Exact!
23:23 walterbender so I don't think it is a worry to spend $600.
23:23 CanoeBerry OK
23:23 Motion seconded.
23:24 walterbender any more discussion?
23:24 gonzalo walterbender, how much time we will have the trademark protected?
23:24 claudia_ talking about this... Irma (UY) sent me a request to provide a letter to "certify" she is a sugarlabs colunteer
23:24 *volunteer
23:24 walterbender I think it is 5 more years
23:24 gonzalo walterbender, ok, thanks
23:24 claudia_ ok with me too
23:25 walterbender gonzalo, actually, I think it maybe longer
23:25 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> Voucher with me
23:25 walterbender I can double-check with Tony
23:25 CanoeBerry many sites seem to say 10: "You must renew your trademark registration between the 9th and 10th year following your registration date, and each successive ten-year period thereafter."
23:26 walterbender CanoeBerry, that is what I thought. Not sure why Tony thinks we need to do it now
23:26 We can ask him.
23:26 I think this is actually a one-time maintenance issue about incontestability
23:26 it strengthens our claim
23:27 I defer to the lawyers in this case
23:27 CanoeBerry Clarif: "You must file the Combined Declaration, specimen, and fee on a date that falls on or between the fifth (5th) and sixth (6th) anniversaries of the registration (or, for an extra fee of $100.00 per class, you may file within the six-month grace period following the sixth anniversary date)." http://www.uspto.gov/trademark[…]ration-maintenanc
23:27 erenewalcorrection-forms
23:27 walterbender so it seems it is time to file
23:28 shall we vote?
23:28 CanoeBerry Yes, and the every-10-year stuff happens later, starting 9th/10th year.
23:28 gonzalo walterbender, yes
23:28 walterbender yes
23:28 CanoeBerry +1
23:28 walterbender +1
23:28 gonzalo +1
23:28 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> +1
23:29 walterbender claudia_, ?
23:29 claudia_ +1
23:30 walterbender motion passes :)
23:30 thanks everyone
23:30 #topic Google programs
23:30 claudia_ :)
23:31 walterbender We just finished up GSoC.
23:31 had very good work done on 5 of 6 projects
23:32 one fail :(
23:32 and as I mentioned, we just got $6000 US from Google as a thank you for our participation in GCI last year
23:32 which brings me to GCI 2015/16
23:33 claudia_ great... I have not followed the projects at all
23:33 walterbender the announcement for applications will be made soon
23:33 do we want to participate again this year?
23:33 if so, I will prepare the application
23:34 (it is a lot of work to prepare, so I don't want to do it if we don't have consensus)
23:34 gonzalo walterbender, i can't compromise time in the near future, sorry
23:34 claudia_ you do a lot of the work... I feel it is such a great opportunity to do work with countries.. but it is hard
23:34 walterbender gonzalo, mentor time is of the essence.
23:35 I have a new project I am involved in that is taking a lot of my time as well
23:35 so I may be less able to give instant feedback 24/7
23:36 I guess I need to feel out the community to see if there will be sufficient support.
23:36 if so, I think we should do it as I think it is both a great tool for us... it is how we found, for example, samdroid
23:36 but also, it is in the spirit of what Sugar Labs is supposed to be doing
23:37 encouraging our users to become developers
23:37 claudia_ walterbender: asking if the community wants to propose and mentor projects
23:37 gonzalo walterbender, if we don't have resources to do good mentoring, i prefer skip this year
23:37 walterbender claudia_, I ask ever year and most often generate the project list myself
23:37 last year samdroid helped me :)
23:38 gonzalo sorry to sound pessimistic, but we need be responsible
23:38 walterbender note that he did not work on any of the projects he proposed :)
23:38 gonzalo, I agree. It has largely been on my shoulders and I cannot do it by myself this year
23:38 Quozl` comment: overextending seems much more likely to occur given who is available this time.
23:39 gonzalo walterbender, i know you do a big part of the job
23:39 walterbender gonzalo, you don't know the half of it :P
23:39 gonzalo sure
23:40 walterbender I did manage to find new mentors for GSoC, all of whom worked out very well
23:40 maybe I can find new mentors for GCI
23:40 I will try
23:40 and get back to you about my results
23:41 meanwhile I will not submit an application.
23:41 claudia_ ok
23:41 walterbender #topic membership and the election
23:42 as per claudia_ 's question earlier, irma should get onto the members list
23:42 claudia_ ok
23:42 walterbender and certainly JM_ could vouch for her
23:42 meanwhile I have heard nothing from icarito etr al. about the election
23:43 gonzalo walterbender, claudia, irma is already in the list
23:43 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> *Ok
23:43 gonzalo she need a paper to present in a training she is doing
23:43 i don't know if we have a procedure to extend community participation certificates
23:44 walterbender I think it is fine to have a SLOB member write something
23:44 and maybe we can turn it into a standard form?
23:44 gonzalo claudia_, can you do it?
23:44 claudia_ sounds good to me
23:45 I can work on it... and circulate
23:45 who would sign?
23:45 walterbender I think any SLOB member could do it unilaterally
23:45 claudia_ ok
23:46 walterbender but I suppose we should discuss
23:46 claudia_ I can sign
23:46 I will do the form first and circulate before I move forward
23:47 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> It is good idea.
23:49 walterbender regardless of the wording, we should have a process by which such certificates are issed
23:49 claudia_ the topic came up with Tony too.. for the paper Walter, Tony, Andres, Guzman wrote
23:49 walterbender would be nice if we dont have to debate each instance at these meetings
23:49 but had a simple mechanism
23:49 claudia_ agree
23:50 walterbender I propose that SLOB members be empowered with unilateral decisionmaking power
23:50 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> Of agreement. And do a register of each one...
23:50 <Jose_Miguel-es> Perhaps public?
23:50 walterbender JM_, yes... we can report at these meetings any certificates we issue
23:51 so it is part of the public record
23:51 claudia_ perhaps have some requirements..
23:51 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> Of agreement
23:51 walterbender claudia_, I think the requirements are so varied in terms of what partiicpation is... teachers, coders, etc.
23:52 so I think a human judgment is appropriate
23:52 sdanielf <sdanielf!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:52 claudia_ we could say "meet at least 2 out of 5 requirements"
23:53 gonzalo we should solve this just requesting confirmation from another slob member in mailing list or something similar
23:54 walterbender gonzalo, not sure that helps with claudia_ 's question
23:54 ignacio Hi anyone
23:54 gonzalo walterbender,  re: requirements?
23:54 claudia_ until we have a process in place, I can draft something and circulate with Walter
23:55 ignacio *everyone :)
23:55 gonzalo claudia_, +1
23:55 walterbender hi ignacio
23:55 +1 claudia_
23:55 gonzalo hi ignacio
23:56 claudia_ ok
23:56 thanks
23:56 Walter... did you mention the articles?
23:56 ignacio about gci (I know I'm late) I received a few questions from young/classmates about the contest
23:56 I think we need a better advertise in case that we participate
23:57 walterbender ignacio, maybe you and samdroid and I can discuss after the meeting?
23:57 ignacio Oh, sure
23:57 walterbender back to the topic for one sec
23:58 I worry that once again the election process is stalled
23:58 can we appoint a SLOB member to work with the committee to make sure things move forward?
23:58 any volunteers?
23:58 CanoeBerry, ???
23:59 gonzalo walterbender, at least we should ask to the comite by email and openly in the mailimg list for the status

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster