Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2015-07-06

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:04 gonzalo__ <gonzalo__!~gonzalo@190.173.9.75> has joined #sugar-meeting
00:21 gonzalo__ has quit IRC
02:47 jimt <jimt!~jim@ae040106.dynamic.ppp.asahi-net.or.jp> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:27 walterbender has quit IRC
03:27 ignacio is now known as nacho
03:27 nacho is now known as ignacio
04:25 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@146-115-134-246.c3-0.nwt-ubr​1.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
04:40 walterbender has quit IRC
09:52 gonzalo__ <gonzalo__!~gonzalo@190.173.9.75> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:27 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@146-115-134-246.c3-0.nwt-ubr​1.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:54 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:17 walterbender has quit IRC
13:46 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@173.48.24.253> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:25 Cerlyn_ <Cerlyn_!~ALEIN@70.10.196.110> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:11 Cerlyn <Cerlyn!~ALEIN@70-10-196-110.pools.spcsdns.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:14 Cerlyn_ has quit IRC
18:53 samsongoddy_ <samsongoddy_!294f0706@gateway/web/freenode/ip.41.79.7.6> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:05 walterbender has quit IRC
19:13 ignacio is now known as i5o
20:12 samsongoddy_ has quit IRC
20:44 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@173.48.24.253> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:50 Cerlyn has quit IRC
22:38 walterbender has quit IRC
22:43 Cerlyn <Cerlyn!~ALIEN@107-143-88-205.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:52 Quozl` .
23:00 hey, is it time?
23:02 gonzalo__ i think so
23:02 hello
23:02 Cerlyn notice was a bit off; it is 7 PM EDT but only 11:02 UTC AFAIK
23:02 Quozl` i'm not sure now.  walter said 00:00 UTC.  it is now 23:03 UTC.
23:02 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!CanoeBerry@c-98-216-39-142.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:04 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@146-115-134-246.c3-0.nwt-ubr​1.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:04 Jm_ <Jm_!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:05 walterbender hi
23:05 Quozl` hi
23:05 walterbender sorry I am late.
23:05 network foo
23:05 gonzalo__ hello walterbender
23:05 meeting * Jose_Miguel-es has joined
23:05 walterbender is ClaudiaU_ here?
23:05 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> Hello!
23:05 walterbender CanoeBerry ?
23:05 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> Pardon by the *demora.
23:05 walterbender hi Jose Miguel
23:05 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> Hello Walter
23:05 walterbender want to make sure we have a quorum
23:06 daniel is unavailable tonight
23:06 he is at FISL
23:06 Claudia_ <Claudia_!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:06 walterbender hi Claudia_
23:06 Claudia_ hello
23:06 walterbender OK... let's begin
23:06 #start-meeting
23:06 meeting Meeting started Mon Jul  6 23:06:56 2015 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
23:06 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
23:07 walterbender hello all
23:07 Claudia_ How are you?
23:07 walterbender thanks for joining us
23:07 I've been busy, but not as busy as the devel team
23:07 #topic 106
23:07 Congrats regarding the release of Sugar 0.106
23:08 Martin just sent out the notice and we've been working in the release notes
23:08 CanoeBerry Am late too, hi all.
23:08 walterbender #link http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.106/Notes
23:08 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> Very good!
23:08 walterbender hi adam...
23:08 Claudia_ vey nice
23:08 *very
23:08 walterbender lots of stability patches
23:08 and lots of work to make it work on F21
23:08 sdanielf <sdanielf!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:08 Claudia_ how many by the kids?
23:09 walterbender Claudia_, haven't gotten those details yet
23:09 sdanielf hi all
23:09 walterbender hi sdanielf
23:09 how is the conference?
23:09 To let everyone know, we dedicated the release in the memory of Marco Gritti Presenti
23:10 Claudia_ nice
23:10 walterbender also, we've arranged to send a laptop with the latest Sugar bits to his daughter
23:10 sdanielf walterbender, it begins on wednesday
23:10 walterbender sdanielf, have fun!!
23:10 any comments re 0.106?
23:10 Quozl` (kids in 106; several contributions from sam parkinson)
23:11 walterbender Quozl`, more than several :)
23:11 Quozl`, is there an Ubuntu release with 106?
23:11 Quozl` walterbender: planned, once martin does ubuntu packages.  also once german does 106 packages, there'll be an xo release.
23:12 walterbender: maybe a day or two.
23:12 walterbender Quozl`, long ago I had an offer from Ubuntu to make an official whatever their equivalent of a spin is that they'd host/promote
23:12 we didn't have a team to maintain it so I didn't follow up
23:13 maybe the time has come
23:13 Quozl` walterbender: maybe.  or debian, given sebastian is into that and it feeds into ubuntu.
23:13 walterbender Jonas has been helping with upstreaming to Debian.
23:14 but it may be worth getting Ubuntu to help us with promotion
23:14 they put a big effort on those sorts of things -- something we tend to fall short on
23:14 gonzalo__ walterbender, Quozl`, in the end, is good have a better proposal on the .deb world
23:15 walterbender but I don't want to commit without a solid plan
23:15 Quozl` i'm worried we've failed in the .rpm world, given the breakage of collaboration for years.
23:16 walterbender Quozl`, yes. Tch and I had discussed making a rewrite of the Collabora bits a priority for 108
23:17 let's discuss it when tch is around
23:17 Just a few more quick topics before we jump into the main discussion -- elections
23:18 #topic survey of youth contributors
23:19 I am working with Jose Miguel and Daniel to get some feedback from the youth contributors to Sugar with the goal of understanding their motivations and what tools they use for learning and collaboration
23:19 Jose Miguel: maybe we can circulate the questions this week?
23:19 Claudia_ is that for the paper too?
23:20 walterbender Claudia_, in theory at least
23:20 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> If, it is good idea.
23:20 sdanielf I can translate and send the questions to them
23:20 walterbender jose miguel: I think the list (including your addition) is complete. It just needs to be translated into Spanish
23:20 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> The subject is the contact. I think that Daniel has more arrived that I with these youngsters.
23:20 walterbender sdanielf, that'd be great!!!
23:21 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> There are not problems. If it already remained definite translate it...
23:22 walterbender sdanielf, please ask them to try to get back to us ASAP
23:22 sdanielf shall I make a list of interviewees for you to agree?
23:22 gonzalo__ walterbender, could you share more about this survey?
23:23 Quozl` aims, scope, timing?
23:23 walterbender sdanielf, anyone you know would be good and we can add more
23:23 the idea is to try to understand why kids contribute and how
23:23 and what they learn along the way
23:24 Quozl` have a sociologist or psychologist involved in design?  ;-)
23:24 walterbender we will start with the kids from UY who are somewhat a special case but will try to engage others too, such as Sam
23:24 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> There is educating. ;)
23:24 walterbender Quozl`, not yet... this is a pilot study to begin
23:24 Quozl` thanks, good to hear.
23:24 sdanielf what about asking english-speaker youth? they might have also interesting answers
23:25 walterbender sdanielf, I will try to reach out to some of them
23:26 gonzalo__ walterbender, would be good have more input than the UY case.
23:26 walterbender gonzalo__, agreed. but we need to start somewhere
23:26 and we have a big pool there to survey
23:27 gonzalo__ walterbender, GSOC participants would be a group too
23:27 walterbender gonzalo__, I was thinking younger -- GCI kids
23:27 gonzalo__ tru GCI
23:27 true
23:27 but would be good ask for how much time they were involved
23:27 walterbender gonzalo__, I have limited access to them though
23:28 but I will try to reach as many as I can
23:28 speaking of GSoC...
23:28 gonzalo__ some kids only participate while GCI, others ontinue
23:29 walterbender gonzalo__, yes... the ones that continue are easier to reach :) but in both cases it is a skewed sample
23:29 but we want to learn from them regardless
23:29 we should move on to the election discussion
23:29 gonzalo__ ok
23:29 walterbender is anyone here from the membership committee?
23:30 while we are waiting...
23:30 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> It is that in this moment is not a representative sample.
23:30 <Jose_Miguel-es> And it is not the idea, create.
23:30 walterbender Jose Miguel +1
23:30 #topic GSoC
23:31 just a quick update
23:31 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> But it is important to have data of how live it the youngsters.
23:31 walterbender all 6 passed the midterms
23:31 good progress from most
23:31 1 a bit shaky but we are working on it
23:31 tip of the hat to our mentors (including some new faces who are doing a great job)
23:32 #topic elections
23:32 Did everyone have a chance to read the memo that was circulated?
23:32 gonzalo__ yes
23:32 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> *Yes
23:33 walterbender I thought the plan was reasonable...
23:33 I am fine with whatever people want to do regarding the cycle
23:33 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> I did not understand how it defines  those who are chosen for each period of time.
23:33 walterbender my only concern is that we get candidates
23:34 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> Perhaps the English was not very good. ;)
23:34 walterbender jose miguel: they proposed to options
23:34 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> *Ok
23:34 walterbender (1) the top 4 candidates are for 2 years; the bottom 3 for 1 year
23:34 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> *Ok.
23:34 walterbender or (2) the top 4 for 3 years; the bottom 3 for 2 years
23:35 I may be mis-remembering some detals but it was approximately that
23:35 gonzalo__ i don't have problem, but the model of change by half have the objective of provide continuity
23:35 walterbender the reason we have not had elections is because we have not had enough candidates to compete for seats
23:36 so the real issue to me is how to recruit
23:36 CanoeBerry http://lists.sugarlabs.org/arc[…]-July/017507.html
23:37 http://lists.sugarlabs.org/arc[…]tachment-0001.pdf
23:37 Claudia_ Yes.. and recruit a balanced group of candidates
23:37 walterbender I still feel guilty about recruiting sdanielf since he otherwise would have won GCI
23:37 but I would love to get sam and/or ignacio and/or some other youth contributors to run
23:38 gonzalo__ walterbender, i don't know if slobs is the best role for young hackers
23:38 walterbender, i would like to have more teachers
23:38 and we didn't achieve that
23:39 Claudia_ Agree with Gonzalo
23:39 gonzalo__ also would be nice have more representation from deployments....
23:39 Claudia_ perhaps the key is to make sure the voices of educators and young people are heard
23:39 walterbender gonzalo__, +1 to teachers but the last one I managed to recruit was Gerald
23:39 Claudia_ and well represented in what SugarLabs does
23:40 walterbender how do we recruit them?
23:40 Quozl` my opinion is that the kids are critical to the process, and having some kids on slobs wouldn't hurt, and would help.
23:40 walterbender Quozl`, +1
23:41 w/o the kids we are a much less interesting project
23:41 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> +1, but in accordance with Walter, that can prejudice them in spaces like *CGI. It is necessary to be accurate
23:41 sdanielf I have to agree with gonzalo in that slobs isn't a place for young hackers
23:41 walterbender sdanielf, could you elaborate?
23:42 Quozl` slots it's a place for young slobs, and if they might be both capable of communicating and coding at the same time, no reason to exclude them.
23:42 sdanielf I think that the only kids who could get involved in slobs are those who are already involved in the community, so they should be young hackers
23:43 walterbender sdanielf, ???
23:43 Quozl` is that because the only community involvment we track is development?
23:43 sdanielf but the cannot participate in GCI after that
23:43 Quozl`: yes
23:43 Cerlyn Would the SFC impose any restrictions, and could the kids be officers?  It might be seen as odd to have a child delgated as Treasurer.
23:43 icarito excuse me
23:43 this meeting is not announced for another 15 minutes
23:44 0 UTC
23:44 gonzalo__ Quozl`, sugarlabs sin :/
23:44 Cerlyn icarito: Time zone error
23:44 Quozl` icarito: yes.
23:44 icarito: 7pm EST is not 0Z
23:44 icarito it's difficult to know what EST is
23:44 CanoeBerry Indeed.
23:44 icarito but 0 UTC was easy
23:44 CanoeBerry 7PM EDT is the truth..
23:44 icarito except wrong
23:44 Quozl` icarito: shell ... "TZ=:US/Eastern date"
23:45 samdroid <samdroid!~sam@180.200.157.50> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:45 samdroid-test <samdroid-test!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:45 sdanielf and most of young hackers are not anymore the voice of students actually, at least in my classrooms I don't see laptops very often
23:45 GrannieB3 <GrannieB3!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:45 CanoeBerry GrannieB3: welcome
23:45 gonzalo__ i had the same problem, we need set the meetings on UTC format
23:45 samdroid-test has quit IRC
23:46 GrannieB3 Hi… did I finally find the right place?
23:46 Quozl` samdroid: GrannieB3: welcome, we're in the middle of the meeting, we've been meeting from 7pm Eastern US time.
23:46 walterbender did the conversion wrong... I tried to announce in both
23:46 and I usually announce city by city as well.
23:46 CanoeBerry Or any large city works as well as UTC, do communicate times without drowning in daylight / savings time adjustments.
23:46 walterbender I may not have this time?
23:46 CanoeBerry Such as "NYC Time" etc.
23:46 GrannieB3 It is so light here in Montana that I had no clue it was so late.
23:47 walterbender back to sdanielf
23:47 a couple of comments
23:47 i5o is now known as nacho
23:47 nacho is now known as i5o
23:48 walterbender (1) while again I think it was a bad decision to mess up your GCI experience, I think with some of the others, who have already participated for many years it is less of an issue
23:49 (2) the lack of Sugar in the schools is a separate problem
23:49 icarito GrannieB3, meeting was announced for 15m from now in UTC time - here's a backlog of the last 47 mins http://paste.debian.net/279663/
23:49 walterbender but one where having some insights from students AND teachers would help
23:50 sdanielf, I am also concerned that it is administrators who are more responsible for the lack of computer/Sugar use than teachers
23:50 i5o Hi everyone
23:50 walterbender we don't do a good job of catering to their needs
23:50 sdanielf walterbender: then I think the board needs someone younger than me, I'm older since the time I was elected
23:50 walterbender sdanielf, how did you manage to get older :)
23:52 sdanielf walterbender: don't know, I think it's because of Java and C++
23:52 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> I think that it is important to have both sides. Motivated and greater youngsters that motivate and promote.
23:55 GrannieB3 OK skimmed the part I missed.
23:55 Claudia_ I think we need to make sure we help those members bring the voice of their peers (both young people and teachers)...  great responsability
23:56 walterbender icarito, GrannieB3 to catch you up -- we seem to have consensus on the model you guys have articulated
23:56 GrannieB3 Great!
23:56 I notice you had some confusion about the process.
23:56 walterbender but we have concerns about how to ensure we recruit more candidates
23:56 GrannieB3, wanna "unconfuse" us?
23:57 GrannieB3 recruiting is very important… as is retention and participation of existing members. That is where the "short newsletter of recent accomplishments we need comes in.
23:59 walterbender GrannieB3, I'm all for any and all mechanisms for retention and participation

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster