Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2015-05-04

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
02:14 walterbender has quit IRC
09:48 mohayon <mohayon!~mohayon@163.5.218.22> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:12 gonzalo__ <gonzalo__!~gonzalo@190.173.1.2> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:15 mohayon has quit IRC
11:05 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:25 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!CanoeBerry@c-98-216-39-142.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:25 gonzalo_ <gonzalo_!~gonzalo@190.173.10.169> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:28 gonzalo__ has quit IRC
18:26 CanoeBerry2 <CanoeBerry2!CanoeBerry@c-98-216-39-142.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:38 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
18:38 CanoeBerry2 has quit IRC
18:44 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!~CanoeBerr@c-98-216-39-142.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:29 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@173.48.24.253> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:32 satellit_ <satellit_!~Thomas@c-76-28-209-233.hsd1.wa.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:35 satellit has quit IRC
20:44 walterbender has quit IRC
22:15 tch__ <tch__!~tch@host-1-217.b12.cvc.com.py> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:18 gonzalo_ has quit IRC
22:23 satellit_ has quit IRC
22:23 satellit <satellit!~Thomas@c-76-28-209-233.hsd1.wa.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:32 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@173.48.24.253> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:37 walterbender has quit IRC
22:39 gonzalo_ <gonzalo_!~gonzalo@190.173.10.169> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:44 gonzalo_ has quit IRC
22:57 karen <karen!~karen@gnome/staff/conservancy.officer.karenesq> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:58 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@146-115-134-246.c3-0.nwt-ubr​1.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:59 walterbender hello all
22:59 hola todos
22:59 CanoeBerry, ClaudiaU you there?
23:00 karen, hi
23:00 gonzalo_ <gonzalo_!~gonzalo@190.173.10.169> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:00 walterbender hi gonzalo_
23:00 waiting for our quorum
23:02 karen hi walterbender!
23:03 walterbender karen, about my whinny email...
23:03 gonzalo_ hello all
23:03 walterbender karen, I don't mean to give you a hard time, but I am a bit confused about expectations
23:04 gonzalo_, waiting for everyone :P
23:04 karen walterbender, I was just going by what was in the preapproval email
23:04 sdanielf <sdanielf!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:05 karen walterbender, we may want to tweak it by the next go around
23:05 my biggest concern was that everyone was in the loop
23:05 about how the money was used!
23:05 (which of course I know you are good at filling people in, I just have to check)
23:05 walterbender karen, I will ask tonight to (again) get blanket approval for the details of the workshops as long as I stay within budget.
23:06 getting approval for each detail is tedious
23:06 meeting * Jose_Miguel-es has joined
23:06 <Jose_Miguel-es> Hello!
23:06 JM_ <JM_!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:06 sdanielf Hi
23:06 walterbender Harriet did all the organizing for me in India and helped run both workshops
23:06 we have quorum... let's get started
23:07 karen, I'll raise this topic in the meeting
23:07 #start-meeting
23:07 meeting Meeting started Mon May  4 23:07:10 2015 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
23:07 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
23:07 walterbender welcome everyone
23:07 hard to believe it is already May
23:07 karen that's great about Hariet
23:07 pipes down :)
23:08 walterbender We have a lot to discuss tonight... so let's jump right in with Gonzalo and the survey
23:08 #topic Sugar deployment survey
23:08 gonzalo_, you have the floor :)
23:09 gonzalo_ thanks walterbender
23:09 question, everyone read the document with the summary of the deployment survey results?
23:10 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> If.
23:10 <Jose_Miguel-es> *Yes!
23:10 walterbender yes
23:11 gonzalo_ sdanielf, did you read it?
23:11 ClaudiaU, are you here?
23:11 CanoeBerry Late to join, hi.
23:11 walterbender no sign of ClaudiaU  or CanoeBerry yet
23:11 gonzalo_ hi CanoeBerry
23:11 walterbender oh... hi adam
23:11 gonzalo_ CanoeBerry, I was asking if all read the survey results doc
23:11 walterbender ClaudiaU read it...
23:11 CanoeBerry Hi, need to reread Gonzalo's doc.
23:11 walter_ <walter_!~walter@146-115-134-246.c3-0.nwt-ubr​1.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:12 sdanielf gonzalo_: didn't have time to do a deep understanding of the survey
23:12 gonzalo_ sdanielf, CanoeBerry, please read it
23:12 walterbender I think gonzalo_ 's summary was very to the point
23:13 gonzalo_ honestly took a lot of time process the replies from everybody
23:13 karen has quit IRC
23:13 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> A big work, that sees  if it reads  the report, and besides read  the punctual answers...
23:13 karen <karen!~karen@gnome/staff/conservancy.officer.karenesq> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:13 gonzalo_ as walter said, is not something that can surprise to anybody of us, already involved in the project
23:13 but I think is a good first step to improve our communication with the deployments
23:14 CanoeBerry 4 page doc "survey_summary.odt" (or pdf) yes.
23:14 Sorry summary.odt or survey_summary.pdf
23:15 walterbender bottom line is our users like sugar, they don't communicate with us, and they don't have any funds to pay for development
23:15 gonzalo_ i would like have the ok from the SLOBs before communicate the results in the lists
23:15 walterbender gonzalo_, +1
23:15 CanoeBerry gonzalo_: ok
23:15 gonzalo_ there are a few conclussions
23:16 sdanielf +1
23:16 is still reading
23:16 gonzalo_ 1) We need improve the communication. In some cases was not clear the channel to get a reply
23:17 in other cases the respondant complain about not get a reply from sugarlabs even when someone did a efffort to go to olpc sf event
23:17 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> It hit me this answer, of not knowing which was the channel...
23:17 walterbender the confusion between Sugar and OLPC still is a problem for us
23:17 gonzalo_ while the different groups in the community are connected, we need make clear what are our events, and where ask a question
23:18 walterbender before I forget
23:18 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> In accordance with walterbender
23:18 walterbender #agreed to share survey results with community
23:18 gonzalo_ maybe walter or alan can check my english mistakes....
23:19 walterbender gonzalo_, it is fine...
23:20 regarding the OLPC/Sugar confusion, even today many SL community members are only interested in supporting OLPC hardward (XO-1)
23:20 gonzalo_ walterbender, if is the hardware they have....
23:20 walterbender yes
23:20 I am not saying they are wrong...
23:20 just stating the facts
23:20 gonzalo_ is a logic concern
23:21 hopefully we have good news about that
23:21 but let finish the first point first
23:21 are we voting about share the results, right?
23:21 CanoeBerry i think so
23:22 walterbender yes... we agreed... 5 votes in favor
23:22 CanoeBerry confirmed yes
23:22 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> *Yes
23:22 gonzalo_ ok
23:22 I will send it later to iaep and sugar-devel
23:22 may i propose a few actions?
23:23 walterbender and sur if you can... /me cannot write to that list any more :(
23:23 gonzalo_ yes, i can
23:23 walterbender #action gonzalo to post results
23:23 sdanielf walterbender: what happened with sur?
23:24 walterbender I get bounces when I try to post
23:24 gonzalo_, what actions do you have in mind?
23:26 gonzalo_ 1) send a mail saying tank you to everybody who replied
23:26 walterbender +1
23:26 sdanielf the list is _inactive_, there's a lot of spam in the moderation queue and I don't check it very often :S
23:27 gonzalo_ (i want thank here too to alan, walter and claudia who contacted most of the deployments)
23:27 walterbender gonzalo_, our job...
23:27 gonzalo_ 2) use that mail to clarify communication issues eveident in particular replies
23:28 walterbender +1
23:28 maybe we can work on that language together
23:28 gonzalo_ ok
23:29 one of the tasks i wanted propose was work in  fix the problem with Browse on XO-1, a big blocker
23:29 walterbender yes...
23:29 I am very encouraged by the latest results
23:29 gonzalo_ and james and I were working in two different approach and looks like we have results already
23:29 CanoeBerry I'm presuming it's not just an XO-1 problem?
23:30 gonzalo_ CanoeBerry, this is particular to xo-1
23:30 walterbender CanoeBerry, there are other problems... but a major on specific to XO-1
23:30 gonzalo_ at least we don't have reports of the same in other hardware
23:30 walterbender before I forget
23:30 CanoeBerry OK, seems to correspond to the many recent releases on other platforms @ http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Releases
23:31 walterbender #action gonzalo to write to each of the respondents
23:31 gonzalo_ two more proposals:
23:31 we need work in sugar ina vm
23:31 finally:
23:32 i am wondering if a meet event could help to improve communication
23:32 walterbender gonzalo_, you mean a prepackaged VM image?
23:32 gonzalo_ yes
23:32 walterbender we used something like that at one of my workshops in India... worked well
23:33 saved the Virtual Box machine with Sugar loaded
23:33 and copied it to other machines
23:33 was easier than installing each time
23:33 gonzalo_ and run in multiple os....
23:33 walterbender only tried it on Windows
23:34 but we could just save multiple VMs
23:35 gonzalo_, maybe something we can work on as part of the 106 release
23:35 ^^ tch__
23:35 gonzalo_ walterbender, yes
23:35 walterbender gonzalo_, are you suggesting a meeting inviting all the deployments?
23:35 would be great
23:35 gonzalo_ walterbender, yes
23:35 walterbender maybe something to add to the discussion next week in Managua
23:36 gonzalo_ +1
23:37 walterbender anything else re the survey topic?
23:38 OK
23:38 let's jump to the next topic
23:39 #topic Future of Sugar discussion in Managua
23:39 ClaudiaU and I were invited by the Zamoras to come to Managua to discuss the future of Sugar
23:39 as you know, they have taking over ownership of OLPC
23:40 so the question is what relationship do they want to have with Sugar going forward
23:40 I would first like to get official approval for this trip
23:41 It is in part a planning session for Turtle Art Day, which has been approved, but the theme has changed enough that I want to get your input and approval
23:41 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> +1
23:41 gonzalo_ walterbender, is a opportunity we can't waste
23:41 walterbender +1 from me... it is critical
23:41 gonzalo_ +1 from my part
23:42 CanoeBerry Turtle Art Day is also in Managua, but at a diff time?
23:42 sdanielf +1
23:42 walterbender I'll ask ClaudiaU to email her +1 to the list
23:42 CanoeBerry, we were going to do it at the same time, but it morphed into a planning meeting
23:42 so I'll have to go back again
23:42 CanoeBerry OK
23:43 walterbender they couldn't decide on the date but they want to do it
23:43 CanoeBerry +1 what are the rough dates of each trip to NI?
23:43 walterbender the first trip is this week... we go to Miami and hitch a ride on the Zamora's private plane
23:44 gonzalo_ :)
23:44 walterbender the second trip will be decided when we are down there
23:44 tch__ walterbender, +1 on VMs, btw, the spanish translation of the document is done
23:44 walterbender tch__, thanks
23:44 tch__, I have one more thing I'd like translated... 8 bullet items
23:44 let me share it here as it is relevant to the discussion we'll be having
23:44 tch__ walterbender, can you add it to the document?
23:45 walterbender tch__, added
23:45 tch__ walterbender, thanks ;)
23:46 walterbender I've been trying to express why we do what we do... going beyond instruction
23:46 a nice project by Wolfram (unfortunately not FOSS)
23:46 here is a large paste
23:46 Outcomes:
23:46 We are aiming from more than just a program where girls learn to code. We aspire that they achieve the following outcomes (from Wolfram):
23:46 Confidence to tackle new problems: being able to use tools in new contexts, read documentation, and interpret the work of others;
23:46 Understanding of abstraction: filtering information, identifying concepts and tools to solve a problem;
23:46 Planning and debugging: Following a process and resolving issues through debugging;
23:46 Interpreting: reading common representations and making inferences;
23:46 Critiquing and verifying: testing assumptions and limitations of approaches;
23:46 Generalizing: drawing wider conclusions and making associations;
23:47 Communicating and collaborating: presenting ideas visually, verbally, and formally; distilling ideas through group cooperation;
23:47 Conceptual understanding: an ability to describe a concept and know the tools that are relevant;
23:47 Tools of computation: awareness of tools that are related and their merits for a particular concept;
23:47 Instinctive feel for computation: an ability to form an estimate of how an approach may be useful.
23:47 I modified there goals from maths to more general
23:48 It is something we offer that is not a focus of most learning projects
23:48 any questions/comments about the NI trip?
23:49 gonzalo_, I'll ping you about when we hope to discuss the what's new in Sugar topic
23:49 and try to get you connected in a hangout
23:49 also, I will be seeing dsd and hopefully learning more about his project
23:50 and if there is any place for Sugar there
23:50 gonzalo_ walterbender, ok, let me know what you need from my part
23:50 walterbender, +1 to meet dsd
23:50 walterbender gonzalo_, a few slides on what is new (in 102 and 104 since I think that they are a bit behind -- except for German)
23:51 gonzalo_ walterbender, ok
23:51 walterbender thanks
23:51 OK... a few other things really quickly
23:51 oh...
23:52 #agreed that Claudia and I go to NI to discuss Sugar/OLPC future with the Zamoras
23:52 #topic India/Jamaica
23:52 As I reported in email and in my blog, I did Turtle Art Days in India and Jamaica
23:53 Harriet V. helped with the India trip and I also spent a lot of time with Homi Bhabha Center and Tata Trust in Mumbai
23:53 Homi Bhabha runs a small Sugar deployment
23:54 and I discussed (am still discussing) a larger (many thousands) deployment in Assam
23:54 will keep you in the loop if/as things more forward
23:55 if we do it and it goes well, Tata could make it a national program... they have the resources
23:55 In Jamaica, it is only Turtle for the time being...
23:55 they are very excited about girls and programming
23:55 but they have old Android tablets that make Sugar itself not viable at the moment
23:55 meeting <Jose_Miguel-es> Excellent!
23:56 walterbender (work to do in Turtle there too)
23:56 but I am hoping to broaden the program over time
23:56 and use it as a focal point for all of the Caribbean)
23:56 again, I'll keep you in the loop
23:57 One more detail: the SFC would like to have us officially approve Harriet's role in the India trip as I paid for her ticket from Delhi to Mumbai
23:58 not only did she do all the prep, she also arranged free lodging, meals, and all the other local transport
23:58 karen walter_: actually, seeing that she's an advisor is enough now that you've reported on the involvement here :)
23:58 walterbender OK. thanks
23:59 OK... next topic, quickly
23:59 karen the key thing is that SLOBs is informed about what's going on
23:59 walterbender #topic GSoC
23:59 karen and the amounts are within the limits set in the preapproval
23:59 pipes down again :)
23:59 walterbender as I sent in email, we got 6 slots...

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster