Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2015-03-03

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:00 walterbender hi gonzalo_
00:00 gonzalo_ hello walterbender
00:00 walterbender hey everyone...
00:00 cyn saving is a bit mysterious, but there
00:00 walterbender there is another meeting starting here shortly
00:00 gonzalo_ who else is here for the meeting?
00:00 walterbender gonzalo_, we are wrapping up a Turtle meeting
00:00 Claudia_, is here
00:01 cyn the blocks menu cuts off the list
00:01 gonzalo_ walterbender, ok, I waiit
00:01 walterbender cyn, the blocks menu should scroll
00:01 Claudia_ yes.. I am
00:01 walterbender gonzalo_, we need one more SLOBs member to get started :P
00:01 cyn i don't know how i got several turtles on the screen
00:01 walterbender cyn, do you have more than one start block?
00:02 cyn no scrolling on my computer
00:02 Claudia_ the help has also text going beyond the black box
00:02 ignacio about the image, submitted a pr
00:02 walterbender Claudia_, oh
00:02 Claudia_, in Safari?
00:02 Claudia_ chrome
00:02 cyn i will see
00:02 ignacio #link https://github.com/walterbende[…]blocksjs/pull/177
00:03 walterbender Claudia_, could you take a screenshot?
00:03 Claudia_ yes
00:03 firefox too
00:03 tch__ andresaguirre, are we getting some robotics for gsoc?
00:03 walterbender cyn, I think we need buttons too... the scrolling is not obvious or discoverable
00:03 cyn oops I lost my blocks when trying to save
00:03 tch__ andresaguirre, we can use to get turtlebotsjs
00:04 walterbender cyn, ouch
00:04 tch__ andresaguirre, now that we have lots of robots support
00:04 andresaguirre great idea tch_
00:04 !
00:04 walterbender tch__, can you write up JS collaboration too (for GSoC)
00:04 tch__ walterbender, ok, will do
00:04 walterbender thx
00:04 andresaguirre and also we can explore the collaboration...
00:05 Claudia_ I also click on eraser and the blocks moved to the left..
00:05 walterbender andresaguirre, let's find a student to hire to work full time on it
00:05 tch__ andresaguirre, walterbender lets continue in email, gtg
00:05 andresaguirre +1
00:05 Claudia_ I can only see the end of it
00:05 walterbender Claudia_, when you hit erase the blocks return to their initial position (you must have dragged them)
00:06 Claudia_, you should be able to drag all the blocks around by dragging the background
00:06 OK
00:06 we do need to switch to the other meeting
00:06 but a good start.
00:06 Claudia_ walterbender: ok.. grab them back....
00:06 ok
00:06 walterbender thank you everyone
00:06 Claudia_ I will send some images
00:06 walterbender cyn, let's find a time to meet by email
00:07 anything else for tonight?
00:07 andresaguirre some block to wrap the sensors of a remote robot... it could help to make colaborative behaviours in robots... something like the "cast block" in the butiá extras palette
00:07 cyn ok
00:07 bye
00:07 cyn has quit IRC
00:07 walterbender AlanJAS2, can you work with me on that?
00:07 Claudia_ bye now
00:08 walterbender Claudia_, can you stay for the SLOBs meeting
00:08 garyservin bye!
00:08 garyservin has left #sugar-meeting
00:08 AlanJAS2 yes
00:08 walterbender ok... let me end this meeting so we can start the next one :P
00:09 to be continued
00:09 #end-meeting
00:09 meeting Meeting ended Tue Mar  3 00:09:07 2015 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
00:09 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-02T23:04:27.html
00:09 ignacio 3,2,1:(
00:09 meeting Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]15-03-02T23:04:27
00:10 gonzalo_ Claudia_, are you here?
00:10 Claudia_ yes
00:10 still
00:11 gonzalo_ hello!
00:11 who else? CanoeBerry?
00:11 daniel?
00:11 jose said he can't participate
00:11 walterbender yes.. just saw his note
00:12 cjl has been quite active of late, but I don't see him around :P
00:12 gonzalo_, seems we have no quorum
00:12 look... we need to move on this stuff
00:12 gonzalo_ _yes_
00:12 walterbender are we satisfied with the questions?
00:13 CanoeBerry Hi
00:13 walterbender if so, I will start soliciting responses tonight/tomorrow
00:13 hi adam
00:13 #start-meeting
00:13 meeting Meeting started Tue Mar  3 00:13:11 2015 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
00:13 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
00:13 gonzalo_ hi CanoeBerry!
00:13 we have quorum now!
00:13 CanoeBerry Hi Walter & Gonzalo & :)
00:13 walterbender welcome all
00:14 Claudia_ hello
00:14 walterbender I think our first order of business is to solicit information from the deployments
00:14 without it we are largely operating in the dark
00:15 CanoeBerry As we move into https://turtle.sugarlabs.org and http://sugarizer.org
00:15 deployments this gets easier..
00:15 walterbender CanoeBerry, you are jumping ahead a bit
00:16 gonzalo_ CanoeBerry, did you read the questions for the deployments?
00:16 CanoeBerry Do u mean https://docs.google.com/docume[…]oDIM9r4-R1nkPKiuw ?
00:16 gonzalo_ yes
00:16 CanoeBerry Broad questions, yes.
00:17 walterbender CanoeBerry, any suggestions how to make it more useful?
00:19 Claudia_ I think we should just go ahead and start collecting the info
00:19 walterbender +1
00:19 gonzalo_ ok
00:20 Claudia_ and ask people to provide reference for others to contact
00:20 walterbender we have been sitting on our hands for 2 months
00:20 Claudia_ I was also thinking we should think about doing the meeting somewhere else
00:20 gonzalo_ i propose the following: take this week to get mails from people and sent the next monday
00:21 walterbender gonzalo_, huh?
00:21 gonzalo_ Claudia_, any particular reason?
00:21 walterbender could you rephrase.
00:22 gonzalo_, Claudia_ and I had discussed the merits of a meeting in Managua instead of Montevideo
00:22 in part because they (FZT) are expanding their Sugar efforts
00:23 Claudia_ We were thinking it is strategic.. OLPC is there
00:23 gonzalo_ walterbender, Claudia_, have sense
00:23 Claudia_ They are working closely with Rwanda
00:23 gonzalo_ also is true we go a lot to Uy, and have more information than from other places
00:23 walterbender gonzalo_, before we switch to that topic, I didn't understand gonzalo_ 's comment about waiting one week
00:23 Claudia_ and expanding to other countries in Africa
00:24 central america, etc
00:24 gonzalo_ walterbender, just to prepare the list of mails
00:24 walterbender, maybe two days is enough
00:24 walterbender gonzalo_, I think we should start sending immediately to the people we already know
00:24 plus if they are confused we can refine the questions when we ask others
00:24 Claudia_ agree with Walter...
00:24 CanoeBerry If survey can, (1) explain what actions may become possible as a result of survey (2) ask survey recipient if they do/don't want their responses auto-published?
00:24 gonzalo_ walterbender, I can prepare a google form to make easier get the daat
00:24 data
00:25 walterbender this is not like school... everyone doesn't have to take the exam at the same time
00:25 gonzalo_, I think it is overengineering the problem
00:25 gonzalo_ walterbender, is easier than you think
00:25 walterbender it is not so many people and to ask them to use a google doc is maybe asking too much... just email is OK I think
00:26 if the google form is embedded in the email, I suppose
00:26 but will it be bi/tri lingual?
00:26 gonzalo_ true, we need at least made it Ens/Spa
00:27 Claudia_ we can create a google doc, so all the data ends together
00:27 gonzalo_ walterbender, Claudia_, anybody of you want write a introduction to the questions?
00:28 walterbender I think we will have personal intros for each letter
00:28 we know all of these people
00:28 or most of them
00:29 gonzalo_ walterbender, then, everybody of us send personal emails or we send a common email for all?
00:29 CanoeBerry, do you have more contacts to add?
00:29 walterbender gonzalo_, I think common questions
00:29 CanoeBerry Is Tony Anderson on the list?
00:29 walterbender although I will send some different questions to Rangan
00:29 gonzalo_ CanoeBerry, no, where is he?
00:30 CanoeBerry Everywhere"
00:30 :)
00:30 gonzalo_ ha ha
00:30 CanoeBerry Africa/Asia especially..
00:30 gonzalo_ CanoeBerry, we are trying to get someone for every deployment :)
00:30 Is he omnipresent? :)
00:31 CanoeBerry He has not visited the OLPC Antarctica deployment.
00:31 walterbender that was the other Tony
00:32 CanoeBerry Tony the Penguin ;)
00:32 Claudia_ I believe we are getting information from the deployments on their direction, future plans for their deployments (or their countries, if they have the info)...
00:33 We should perhaps prepare a slightly different set of questions for the Tonys of the world, so we can incorporate their experience
00:33 walterbender +1
00:34 but maybe tony can help us reach more deployments
00:34 gonzalo_ Claudia_, based in the emails in the last weeks (about sugar future) I think we should sent a different set of questions to the community
00:34 Claudia_ that too, walterbender
00:34 gonzalo_: maybe a public survey
00:34 gonzalo_ yes
00:35 Claudia_ ok
00:35 gonzalo_ walterbender, CanoeBerry, Claudia_, someone want contact Tony, and see if he can contact us with the appropiate people?
00:35 walterbender someone will have to explain to me some of the comments on that thread :P
00:35 gonzalo_ walterbender, after we finish with this topic, please :)
00:36 walterbender CanoeBerry, can you do it? you guys talk school server each week?
00:36 gonzalo_, I think we have it wrapped up for now
00:36 CanoeBerry I can ask Tony, yes.
00:36 walterbender I'll start sending out some tonight/tomorrow
00:36 gonzalo_ perfect
00:37 CanoeBerry, please add the contact to the document for future reference
00:37 walterbender #topic meeting venue for face-to-face SLOBs meeting
00:37 Claudia_ should we keeo the info for our meeting and not make it public?
00:37 I think if we do, people may feel better at answering
00:37 gonzalo_ Claudia_, hmm, is possible
00:37 CanoeBerry gonzalo_: Done
00:38 walterbender Claudia_, the emails themselves are private, but I think we should say that we are gathering statistics from them that would be public
00:38 but we can make sure they remain anonymous
00:38 Claudia_ statistics make sense
00:38 walterbender OK
00:39 Claudia_ but what other HW or SW?
00:39 walterbender re the venue,
00:39 CanoeBerry Aside: Nicaragua can be half the price of Uruguay airfare for a majority of (North American) SLOB members. FWIW even less if trucking thru Panama or Costa Rica.
00:39 gonzalo_ the message would be: we are trying to get information to organize future projects in Sugar land
00:39 walterbender Claudia_, HW could be Android tablets for example
00:40 Claudia_ walterbender: what about sharing with NIC the desire to make the meeting there and do a TA day... if they seem receptive, we move forward... if not, we go back to UY plan?
00:40 walterbender and software could be Window 10??? who knows?
00:40 Claudia_, +1
00:40 I mentioned TA again to German
00:40 and Mariana
00:40 can you mention it to Felix? and whomever?
00:40 Claudia_ ok...
00:41 walterbender: I meant to say that what if they don't want us to share that type of info with the rest of the world...
00:41 walterbender: I will contact Felix tomorrow
00:41 walterbender Claudia_, we need to respect their privacy
00:42 but we could say, for example, that a deployment told us that they plan on 10K ipads for 2016
00:42 without saying which deployment
00:42 Claudia_ yes... we should ask about information they think it is private... I can see companies attacking them in their idea is to buy 50k new computers
00:43 walterbender yes... I think the default is no names
00:43 gonzalo_ noted
00:43 walterbender no identifiers
00:43 Claudia_ +1
00:44 walterbender are we done with this topic?
00:44 Claudia_ yes
00:44 gonzalo_ i think so. plese complete the columns when was sent and received
00:44 walterbender #topic GSoC
00:45 this is a quick heads up that we have been accepted
00:45 we'll not know how many slots until we get students to apply
00:45 gonzalo_ ohh, we need prepare the projects list!
00:45 walterbender we've been encouraging JS projects
00:45 and have gotten a lot of activity in that space over the past month
00:46 gonzalo_, there are quite a few projects already listed but we can add more at any time
00:46 and try to steer students towards things we need
00:46 gonzalo_ walterbender, link?
00:46 walterbender one sec
00:47 Claudia_ I read.. "We will be participating in Google Summer of Code 2015." in facebook, but it is not inviting students to participate
00:47 walterbender #link http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2015
00:47 gonzalo_ Claudia_, don't worry, students have been asking for more than a month
00:48 walterbender Claudia_, I will follow up with more details
00:48 Claudia_ ok.. I am happy to circulate
00:48 walterbender in FB
00:48 we should tweet too
00:48 Claudia_ ok
00:48 that too
00:49 gonzalo_ walterbender, ok, i see you already did all the work :)
00:49 walterbender not all the work but a start
00:49 gonzalo_ my vacation was strategic :)
00:50 Claudia_ yes, gonzalo_
00:50 walterbender gonzalo_, it is bad... my current streak on github is 93 days
00:51 gonzalo_ walterbender, but you are crazy and we already know that :)
00:51 walterbender anyway, please do spread the word to potential mentors and students
00:51 I have one more topic if it is OK
00:52 Claudia_ fine by me
00:52 walterbender #topic www.sl.o
00:52 As I think you'd all agree, our website is a bit stale
00:53 three different people started designing a new website: tymon, sam, and quidam
00:53 none a quite polished yet
00:54 but I think we should be aiming for a few goals in this work:
00:54 (1) simplify
00:54 (2) direct access to SOAS, Sugarizer, and other ways to try Sugar
00:54 (3) an infrastructure bases on git so we can more readily maintain it
00:55 (4) fast
00:55 Claudia_ do you mean three different projects? or all three people working on one design?
00:55 walterbender (5) high quality of graphics
00:55 Claudia_, well... two started independently and the third was a fork
00:55 Claudia_ ok
00:55 walterbender but I think they will merge their efforts
00:56 Claudia_ agree
00:56 walterbender it has been a bit of a struggle but they are converging
00:56 gonzalo_ i think we need one designer or use some probed template
00:56 walterbender I just worry that we look a bit amateurish
00:56 gonzalo_ yes
00:56 walterbender gonzalo_, I have been trying to say that over and over
00:57 but it takes a while for the message to sink in
00:57 Claudia_ Design is key...
00:57 gonzalo_ walterbender, the problem is all the involved are developers not designers
00:57 walterbender +1
00:57 gonzalo_ and we do it ugly
00:57 Claudia_ in the project Tincho and I helped mentor, it was an issue
00:57 the student did not have the skills
00:57 walterbender I have been trying to get them to work on the back end
00:58 so we can have a place for a designer to work
00:58 Claudia_ what about using some small money on a design?
00:58 walterbender actually, there is a fourth person who is a decent designer
00:58 Claudia_, I don't mind spending some money on desing
00:58 Claudia_ design should be done in parallel
00:58 walterbender but I want to make sure we have a good idea where we want to go
00:58 Claudia_ no?
00:59 walterbender Claudia_, they should be working with a designer, as an integral part of the team
00:59 Claudia_ agree
01:00 walterbender I doubt we can get cms back
01:00 but maybe manuq could spare some cycles?
01:00 gonzalo_ walterbender, Claudia_, CanoeBerry, we should set this points as guidelines to who want to work in the site
01:01 right now they are working without any direction
01:01 walterbender gonzalo_, they are working with direction
01:01 but not always listening
01:01 Claudia_ I don't know the details
01:01 walterbender the process is a bit chaotic
01:01 Claudia_, it has been on the devel list only, I think
01:01 gonzalo_ walterbender, but they are asking in the mailing list and everybody can propose different things
01:02 walterbender gonzalo_, I asked them to solicit ideas, not take a poll
01:02 but it maybe a language problem.
01:03 gonzalo_ walterbender, is different if we say, we talked at the slobs meeting and decided this are the important points for the site
01:03 walterbender gonzalo_, +1
01:03 but let's find a designer to participate
01:03 gonzalo_ walterbender, you said there was already a designer?
01:04 walterbender yeah... I just am not sure yet if he is up to the task...
01:04 I suppose we can wait and see.
01:04 gonzalo_ walterbender, do you want ask to manuq?
01:04 Claudia_ so much to discuss and do...
01:04 CanoeBerry walterbender's own lean design (emailed yesterday?) is a fine kernel to build on too
01:04 Claudia_ I have to go in the next min or two
01:04 walterbender Claudia_, me too
01:05 I'll keep SLOBs in the loop.
01:05 thanks all for you input
01:05 Claudia_ I have a designer or two in Colombia... if we want to contact them
01:05 walterbender Claudia_, let's discuss off line
01:05 Claudia_ ok
01:05 gonzalo_ ok, see you all
01:06 walterbender ciao
01:06 #end-meeting
01:06 Claudia_ great to talk to all.. let's contact the people and plan the meeting
01:06 meeting Meeting ended Tue Mar  3 01:06:05 2015 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
01:06 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-03T00:13:11.html
01:06 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]15-03-03T00:13:11
01:06 Claudia_ ciao
01:06 Claudia_ has quit IRC
01:16 gonzalo_ has quit IRC
02:02 AlanJAS2 has quit IRC
02:15 gonzalo_ <gonzalo_!~gonzalo@190.173.56.77> has joined #sugar-meeting
02:51 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
02:53 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!~CanoeBerr@c-98-216-39-142.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:36 tch__ has quit IRC
03:40 curiousguy13_ has quit IRC
04:16 walterbender has quit IRC
05:01 andresaguirre has quit IRC
06:03 gonzalo_ has quit IRC
07:19 curiousguy13 <curiousguy13!~curiousgu@59.177.196.233> has joined #sugar-meeting
07:19 neyder <neyder!~neyder@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
09:40 curiousguy13 has quit IRC
09:53 curiousguy13 <curiousguy13!~curiousgu@120.59.106.184> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:16 gonzalo_ <gonzalo_!~gonzalo@190.173.56.77> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:57 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:32 curiousguy13 has quit IRC
12:50 curiousguy13 <curiousguy13!~curiousgu@59.177.194.128> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:15 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@146-115-134-246.c3-0.nwt-ubr​1.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:38 satellit_e <satellit_e!~satellit@2601:8:8800:99a:468a:5bff:fe31:faeb> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:57 satellit_e has quit IRC
13:59 satellit_e <satellit_e!~satellit@2601:8:8800:99a:468a:5bff:fe31:faeb> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:25 gonzalo__ <gonzalo__!~gonzalo@190.173.8.112> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:25 gonzalo_ has quit IRC
14:43 satellit_e has quit IRC
14:46 satellit_e <satellit_e!~satellit@2601:8:8800:99a:468a:5bff:fe31:faeb> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:25 curiousguy13 has quit IRC
15:37 curiousguy13 <curiousguy13!~curiousgu@120.59.225.130> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:04 icarito <icarito!~icarito@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:54 gonzalo__ has quit IRC
16:56 satellit_e has quit IRC
17:06 gonzalo__ <gonzalo__!~gonzalo@190.173.29.159> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:15 tch__ <tch__!~tch@host-1-217.b12.cvc.com.py> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:26 satellit_e <satellit_e!~satellit@2601:8:8800:99a:468a:5bff:fe31:faeb> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:27 satellit has quit IRC
17:38 satellit <satellit!~Thomas@c-76-28-209-233.hsd1.wa.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:22 walterbender has quit IRC
18:27 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@146-115-134-246.c3-0.nwt-ubr​1.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:37 walterbender has quit IRC
18:48 satellit_e has quit IRC
18:51 puneet_kaur <puneet_kaur!~androirc@182.68.240.98> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:03 satellit_ <satellit_!~Thomas@c-76-28-209-233.hsd1.wa.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:04 satellit_ has quit IRC
19:04 satellit_ <satellit_!~Thomas@c-76-28-209-233.hsd1.wa.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:06 satellit_ has quit IRC
19:06 satellit has quit IRC
19:07 satellit <satellit!~Thomas@c-76-28-209-233.hsd1.wa.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:15 puneet_kaur has quit IRC
19:18 puneet_kaur <puneet_kaur!~androirc@182.68.240.98> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:23 puneet_kaur has quit IRC
19:43 tch__ has quit IRC
20:17 gonzalo__ has quit IRC
20:21 walterbender <walterbender!~walter@146-115-134-246.c3-0.nwt-ubr​1.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:04 native93 <native93!~native93@14.139.82.6> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:38 curiousguy13 has quit IRC
21:52 curiousguy13 <curiousguy13!~curiousgu@120.59.106.112> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:55 satellit_e <satellit_e!~satellit@2601:8:8800:99a:468a:5bff:fe31:faeb> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:28 tch__ <tch__!~tch@host-1-217.b12.cvc.com.py> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:39 satellit_e has quit IRC
23:51 native93 has quit IRC

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster