Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2014-03-03

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
01:26 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
04:37 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!~CanoeBerr@c-74-114-79-50.netflash.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
04:42 CanoeBerry_ <CanoeBerry_!CanoeBerry@74.114.77.109> has joined #sugar-meeting
04:44 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
05:31 CanoeBerry_ has quit IRC
05:38 gonzalo_odiard_ <gonzalo_odiard_!~gonzalo@190.173.2.212> has joined #sugar-meeting
06:03 gonzalo_odiard_ has quit IRC
08:50 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!CanoeBerry@74.114.77.109> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:55 tch__ <tch__!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:23 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
11:51 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:51 sendak.freenode.net [freenode-info] help freenode weed out clonebots -- please register your IRC nick and auto-identify: http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup
12:48 walterbender <walterbender!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:48 walterbender #join #olpc-au
13:18 puneet_kaur <puneet_kaur!~puneet_ka@120.57.157.151> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:38 JT4sugar <JT4sugar!~JT@d14-69-23-136.try.wideopenwest.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:50 meeting * JoseMiguel-es has joined
13:52 <JoseMiguel-es> Hello!
13:53 JMGarcia <JMGarcia!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:53 JMGarcia Hello
13:55 walterbender hi JMGarcia
13:56 gp94 <gp94!~gaurav@14.139.82.6> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:58 walterbender not sure we have a quorum today
13:58 claudia will be late
13:58 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> *Ok.
13:58 walterbender I didn't hear back from gonzalo, chris, daniel or adam :P
13:59 I realize it is a holiday today
13:59 but I thought we could discuss a few things informally
13:59 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> In Uruguay are on holiday! (Two days of Carnival)
14:00 walterbender yes
14:00 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> But I am accustomed. ;) 6 January also it was *feriado! ;)
14:00 walterbender I just want to give a quick update re Google Summer of Code
14:00 and a few other topics
14:00 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> *Ok
14:01 walterbender then maybe we can reschedule later in the week
14:01 As I said in an email last week, Sugar Labs was accepted again in Google Summer of Code
14:01 we need to recruit students
14:02 so please spread the word at the local universities
14:02 I set up a page for applications: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/S[…]_of_Code/Template
14:02 the students need to follow this template and sign up on the google site as well
14:04 they have about 10 days to get the applications submitted
14:04 gonzalo_odiard_ <gonzalo_odiard_!~gonzalo@190.173.2.212> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:04 walterbender hi gonzalo_odiard_
14:04 gp94 thanks..just one question, why are many merge requests pending in gitorious?
14:04 gonzalo_odiard_ hello
14:05 walterbender gonzalo_odiard_: I think we are lacking a quorum this moring
14:06 gonzalo_odiard_ gp94, because we need review the work
14:06 walterbender, problems with freenode again?
14:06 walterbender Claudia has a conflict
14:06 she will be late
14:06 I never heard back from cjl, adam, or daniel
14:07 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!CanoeBerry@74.114.77.109> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:08 gp94 gonzalo_odiard_, ok i can see that there is a lot of work to be reviewed but since the merge requests not yet reviewed affect towards the chances for GsoC...
14:08 walterbender Oh. Adam is here
14:08 so we have a quorum
14:08 #start-meeting
14:08 meeting Meeting started Mon Mar  3 14:08:30 2014 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:08 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
14:09 walterbender #topic GSoC
14:09 I set up a page for applications: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/S[…]_of_Code/Template
14:09 #action everyone solicit students
14:10 any other questions/comments re GSoC?
14:11 #topic youth summit
14:11 gp94 how many slots are there for sugarlabs this time?
14:11 walterbender gp94: don't know yet
14:11 we find out soon
14:12 I think it is in part based on how many students apply
14:14 re the youth summit, daniel francis and I have been discussing ideas
14:14 we are writing a manifesto with rms about the role of free software in education
14:15 the plan is still pretty sketchy so far
14:15 but I think by next meeting we will have something tangible
14:16 please chime in with ideas
14:16 gonzalo_odiard_ walterbender, do you have any plan about dates or place?
14:16 walterbender not yet...
14:16 raulhugo <raulhugo!~raulhugo@200.4.199.42> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:16 walterbender somewhere either in .UY. .PY, or .AR
14:16 unless we get an offer we cannot refuse from .PE :)
14:16 or .NI
14:18 We can maybe combine it with a Turtle Art day for leverage
14:19 it will enable a small budget
14:19 gonzalo_odiard_ walterbender, if we can clone us :)
14:19 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> It is an interesting idea, combine with *tortugarte, to manage both in shape simultaneous...
14:19 <JoseMiguel-es> And not having to do both from zero.
14:19 walterbender JMGarcia: it is efficient for us
14:20 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> If, for no *tner that clone us ;)
14:20 walterbender FYI, I am trying to organize Turtle Art days in Sri Lanka and Nepal
14:20 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> Afterwards of the Google *Code, perhaps can manage something in *ANEP. In director remained very excited.
14:21 walterbender JMGarcia: +1
14:23 gonzalo_odiard_ walterbender, anything else about this topic?
14:26 walterbender no...
14:26 Sorry. Had to step afk
14:27 #topic teacher/techie meetups
14:27 claudia will organize the first meeting for this week (Wednesday)
14:28 we'll be reviewing the Learn Sugar activity I have been working on
14:28 it is for teachers to learn about Sugar
14:28 we've been translating it into Spanish
14:28 the first pass is at http://people.sugarlabs.org/pe[…]earnSugar-1.59.xo
14:29 gonzalo_odiard_ walterbender, training support l10n?
14:29 walterbender gonzalo_odiard_: yes
14:29 but it still needs more work
14:30 and I don't have a good solution for the videos
14:30 plus we need to think about the backend stuff
14:30 and a few other issues
14:31 I think we will ultimately need a specialized version for each region
14:31 for example, the school list is for .AU right now
14:31 we could make a list for schools . UY, for example
14:31 but those sorts of details are not too important
14:31 raulhugo I can help translating something to Perú
14:31 walterbender raulhugo: thx
14:32 I am more interested in how we can extend the framework to introduce other ideas
14:32 more activities and more ideas around pedagogy
14:32 not just how to use Sugar but to use it for learning
14:33 gonzalo_odiard_ +1
14:33 walterbender the first pass is really just about mechanics
14:33 the next one needs to be about ideas
14:33 but I think the framework is pretty easy to extend
14:33 that is what I hope to discuss on Wednesday
14:35 but I tried to be somewhat subversive with the first version: a lot of emphasis on the Journal, portfolio, etc.
14:35 and I introduce Turtle Art :)
14:36 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> ;)
14:36 walterbender we also, on the technical front, need a better handle on i18n for html content
14:37 I can generate all the html on the fly from Python so that the strings appear in the .po files
14:37 but it raises the bar for 3rd parties extending it
14:38 gonzalo_odiard_ walterbender, we use .rst in help activity to achieve that
14:38 walterbender gonzalo_odiard_: I'll take a look
14:39 does anyone have other topics for today?
14:39 raulhugo :)
14:39 walterbender CanoeBerry: anything to report re school servers?
14:40 gonzalo_odiard_ walterbender, the background contest
14:40 walterbender gonzalo_odiard_: take the floor
14:40 #topic background contest
14:40 gonzalo_odiard_ as reporte in the ml, the site is almost ready http://contest.sugarlabs.org/
14:41 we need translate it
14:41 and we need define the schedule
14:41 CanoeBerry Input on the upcoming School Server Community Edition 5.1 most welcome -- goals are intentionally very limited so that larger ambitions follow with 6.0:
14:41 http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_C[…]unity_Edition/5.1
14:41 walterbender we should start soon
14:41 CanoeBerry http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_C[…]_Edition/Features
14:41 kandoi <kandoi!b49531e7@gateway/web/freenode/ip.180.149.49.231> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:41 kandoi hey
14:42 walterbender gonzalo_odiard_: anything we can do to help?
14:42 kandoi pasting my messages from the #sugar channel
14:42 I was reading through the ideas page for GSoC and found the python 3 port project interesting
14:42 gonzalo_odiard_ JoseMiguel proposed March and April
14:42 kandoi I have good experience with python and I hope to further improve my skills through this project
14:42 walterbender sounds good
14:42 kandoi: we are in the middle of meeting
14:42 gonzalo_odiard_ kandoi, please, we are in a meeting now, can you wait a little?
14:42 kandoi sure
14:42 sorry
14:42 gonzalo_odiard_ thanks
14:43 raulhugo well I cant help on translation and localization to Perú
14:43 walterbender raulhugo: can you help spread the word too?
14:43 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> March or April for the launching, as the classes begin the next week.
14:43 gonzalo_odiard_ raulhugo, good, can you send me a mail to contact you?
14:43 meeting <raulhugo-es> *ok
14:44 <raulhugo-es> *Yes *walter I *think *that I *can
14:44 gonzalo_odiard_ we will need help from local communities to promote it
14:44 walterbender gonzalo_odiard_: maybe we can mention it on Wednesday to the educators
14:44 they all have local connections
14:44 gonzalo_odiard_ walterbender, yes, i will do
14:44 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> +1
14:45 martian_ <martian_!~anon@14.139.82.6> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:45 gonzalo_odiard_ i am wondering if we can get some type of sponsoring
14:46 meeting <raulhugo-es> We look for Local or international sponsors
14:46 gonzalo_odiard_ raulhugo, both
14:46 walterbender gonzalo_odiard_: what do you want to do with the sponsorship?
14:47 gonzalo_odiard_ walterbender, maybe give to the winners a better prize
14:47 walterbender what sort of prizes do you have in mind?
14:48 gonzalo_odiard_ walterbender, if we don't have monetary resources, a t-shirt, if we get sponsors, a xo-4 :)
14:48 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> ;)
14:49 gonzalo_odiard_ walterbender, maybe we can talk with AU and Ceibal
14:49 and a few more
14:49 walterbender would be good to make t-shirts with the winning images
14:49 gonzalo_odiard_ yes
14:49 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> Excellent idea!
14:50 <JoseMiguel-es> Perhaps this can manage also to local level.
14:50 walterbender that shouldn't be too expensive
14:50 we could have regional winners and a grand prize global winner
14:50 gonzalo_odiard_ walterbender, yes, i think sugarlabs can manage that
14:50 ananasova <ananasova!~ana-balic@2a01:4f8:a0:2ffe:0:ff:fe00:2200> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:50 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> If, it is a good idea.
14:50 walterbender we can manage the t-shirts, yes
14:50 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> Because it also stimulates...
14:51 <JoseMiguel-es> Ignacio presented  in the Google thinking in a *camieta.
14:51 <JoseMiguel-es> T-shirt
14:52 walterbender we can design a nicer t-shirt than Google :)
14:52 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> If. And with the winning drawings.
14:52 <JoseMiguel-es> That a boy win a T-shirt with his drawing is stimulating
14:52 <raulhugo-es> Of course :)
14:53 walterbender and it will be in the next Sugar image
14:53 I think that is a pretty good prize
14:53 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> Motivator...
14:53 Claudia <Claudia!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:53 walterbender hi Claudia
14:53 gonzalo_odiard_ i agree with the t-shirt prize
14:53 Claudia Hi walterbender!
14:54 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> Hello!
14:54 gonzalo_odiard_ what you think about trying to get sponsors?
14:54 Claudia hello everyone!
14:54 walterbender Claudia: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]ng/meetings/today
14:55 gonzalo_odiard_: I think we need to be clear about what we are asking of them
14:56 Claudia thanks, walterbender!
14:57 gonzalo_odiard_ walterbender, my proposal is involve them in the promotion at local level, and request them a contribution in $$ == to the xo-4 price
14:58 Claudia walterbender: I have not tested the Activity, but I will like to send the announcement right now!  I will add an additional phrase about extending the Activity
14:58 walterbender the XO-4 is only $200. Not worth the effort to raise money for that
14:59 but we could have local sponsor try to find some appropriate prize for local kids
14:59 and promotion, yes
14:59 for example, in .PY, maybe we could get ABC to run an ad in their paper
15:00 gonzalo_odiard_ walterbender, but then we would need run local contests and a global contest, and i see that more difficult
15:00 walterbender is a wary of making an XO the prize because it is too OLPC-centric
15:00 gonzalo_odiard_: well, the promotion needs to be local
15:00 while the contest can be global
15:01 but practically, if you want a local sponsor, you need to ensure some local kid involvement
15:02 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> In *Uy uses  a lot a sight to the centre *CEIBAL.
15:03 walterbender be nice to have some 3rd parties in .UY promoting... decenteralized
15:03 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> Can think  in a global contest, and that value  also to local level.
15:03 <JoseMiguel-es> But all together...
15:04 <JoseMiguel-es> *Premiación To global level, and local quotations
15:04 walterbender we can add the local winner to the local image
15:04 each place makes their own image from Sugar
15:04 gonzalo_odiard_ walterbender, will be a headache in the long run :/
15:05 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> Also...
15:05 walterbender gonzalo_odiard_: yes... you are correct
15:05 the images should be upstream
15:05 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> But this will depend on what attain  generate.
15:05 walterbender so we need to think of the local angle to interest local sponsors
15:05 meeting <raulhugo-es> Exact
15:05 curiousguy13 <curiousguy13!~chatzilla@120.59.225.127> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:07 gonzalo_odiard_ i don't want extend this too much, we are already in March 3th, i will ask manuq and tincho (who worked in the site) how much time they need and report in the mailing list
15:07 and try to contact AU and Ceibal, if anybody else have other potential sponsors in mind, please contact me
15:08 raulhugo :S well
15:08 gonzalo_odiard_ for now, local sponsors == local promotion, and local prize, is ok?
15:08 walterbender gonzalo_odiard_: sure
15:08 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> +1
15:09 raulhugo +1
15:09 =
15:09 gonzalo_odiard_ that is all from my part
15:09 walterbender thx
15:09 anything else for today?
15:10 CanoeBerry chimed in earlier about the school server work
15:10 Claudia I just want to confirm that I will send the announcement in a few min
15:10 walterbender yeah
15:10 meeting <raulhugo-es> :)
15:10 walterbender Claudia: I will try to clean things up a bit later today
15:10 gonzalo_odiard_ great, Claudia
15:10 Claudia I have not tested the version in Spanish with my translation, but it would be a good way to know of people download it and run it
15:10 As I was translating, I actually modified in the Welcome section some of the wording about moving to the next section to "getting the score higher"
15:11 walterbender Claudia: OK.
15:11 Claudia I will add a few words about your intentions to extend and collaborate with locals to customize the Activity
15:11 walterbender Claudia: I will try to get all the text into the .po file to make the process easier
15:12 and I think I will disable the reporting in the non-AU version in the short term
15:12 Claudia Hope to see ad many of you as possible in the meeting on Wed.
15:12 walterbender something I need to discuss with tch__
15:12 Claudia: I will be there
15:12 Claudia thanks, walterbender!
15:12 gonzalo_odiard_: you?
15:12 gonzalo_odiard_ Claudia, of course :)
15:12 Claudia And JoseMGarcia... too?
15:13 thank walterbender  for your work!
15:13 Have a great week!
15:13 walterbender OK
15:13 meeting <JoseMiguel-es> Sure!
15:13 walterbender thanks everyone for coming to the meeting on a holiday
15:13 Claudia thanks
15:13 walterbender keep in touch by email
15:13 5
15:13 meeting <raulhugo-es> When it is the *teacher-*meet???
15:13 <JoseMiguel-es> 4
15:14 Claudia 3
15:14 walterbender raulhugo: wednesday morning
15:14 raulhugo: we need to announce on the amazonas page in FB
15:14 meeting <raulhugo-es> *OK
15:14 <raulhugo-es> Exact hour?
15:14 walterbender Claudia: ^^
15:15 Claudia 9
15:15 walterbender EST
15:15 Claudia 9 AM EST
15:15 walterbender needs to go back to babysitting this morning :)
15:16 gonzalo_odiard_ 2
15:16 walterbender CanoeBerry: ^^
15:16 meeting <raulhugo-es> :)
15:16 <raulhugo-es> *OK
15:17 walterbender #end-meeting
15:17 meeting Meeting ended Mon Mar  3 15:17:10 2014 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
15:17 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-03T14:08:30.html
15:17 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]14-03-03T14:08:30
15:17 walterbender kandoi: see you on #sugar
15:18 walterbender has quit IRC
15:19 meeting * JoseMiguel has quit (Quit: Page closed)
15:19 walterbender <walterbender!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:19 JMGarcia has quit IRC
15:22 ananasova has quit IRC
15:23 raulhugo has quit IRC
15:38 CanoeBerry Some folks may arrive a full day early for SugarCamp Paris http://fr.amiando.com/sugarcamp3.html (adding in an informal Fri Apr 11 for those around!)
15:44 SeanDaly <SeanDaly!~chatzilla@80.215.52.229> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:57 Claudia has quit IRC
16:36 SeanDaly has quit IRC
16:41 kandoi has quit IRC
16:42 tch__ has quit IRC
16:51 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
17:55 JT4sugar has quit IRC
17:59 martian_ has quit IRC
18:04 curiousguy13 has left #sugar-meeting
18:16 gp94 has left #sugar-meeting
19:04 puneet_kaur has quit IRC
19:17 puneet_kaur <puneet_kaur!~puneet_ka@59.177.43.146> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:24 ELICIUS <ELICIUS!~ELICIUS@173.219.77.145> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:29 ELICIUS has left #sugar-meeting
20:06 tch__ <tch__!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:31 puneet_kaur has quit IRC
21:51 JT4sugar <JT4sugar!~JT@d14-69-23-136.try.wideopenwest.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:55 JT4sugar has quit IRC
22:48 JT4sugar <JT4sugar!~JT@d14-69-23-136.try.wideopenwest.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:48 JT4sugar has quit IRC
23:13 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!CanoeBerry@74.114.77.109> has joined #sugar-meeting

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster