Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2013-07-12

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:03 walterbender has quit IRC
01:08 gonzalo_odiard <gonzalo_odiard!~gonzalo@190.173.12.165> has joined #sugar-meeting
01:30 gonzalo_odiard has quit IRC
03:08 iamaregee2 has quit IRC
03:14 CanoeBerry_ is now known as CanoeBerry
03:21 iamaregee2 <iamaregee2!~aregee@122.177.24.94> has joined #sugar-meeting
04:37 CanoeBerry_ <CanoeBerry_!~CanoeBerr@wnpgmb11dc5-5-221.hspalte.​dynamic.mtsallstream.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
04:37 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
05:00 satellit <satellit!~satellit@67.204.137.104> has joined #sugar-meeting
07:27 iamaregee2 has quit IRC
10:07 gonzalo_odiard <gonzalo_odiard!~gonzalo@190.173.12.165> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:27 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!~CanoeBerr@wnpgmb11dc5-5-221.hspalte.​dynamic.mtsallstream.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:32 CanoeBerry_ has quit IRC
10:56 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:01 m_anish` is now known as m_anish
11:43 Cerlyn has quit IRC
12:01 walterbender <walterbender!~walterben@pool-173-48-28-116.bstnma.fios.verizon.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:04 satellit has quit IRC
16:36 CanoeBerry_ <CanoeBerry_!~CanoeBerr@wnpgmb11dc5-4-115.hspalte.​dynamic.mtsallstream.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:38 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
16:42 bdmst is now known as boredomist
16:48 kGrange <kGrange!~kGrange@yacht.rit.edu> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:01 surajgillespie <surajgillespie!~webchat@rev-18-85-44-69.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:01 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!~CanoeBerr@wnpgmb11dc5-4-179.hspalte.​dynamic.mtsallstream.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:02 CanoeBerry_ has quit IRC
17:05 gonzalo_odiard has quit IRC
17:10 callkalpa <callkalpa!~kalpa@124.43.111.17> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:10 mzepf <mzepf!~marion@stgt-4d025443.pool.mediaWays.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:12 gonzalo_odiard <gonzalo_odiard!~gonzalo@190.173.12.165> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:15 walterbender hi all
17:15 shall we get started
17:15 alsroot has quit IRC
17:15 ajay has quit IRC
17:15 sridhar has quit IRC
17:15 walterbender #start-meeting
17:15 meeting Meeting started Fri Jul 12 17:15:37 2013 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:15 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
17:16 axitkhurana <axitkhurana!~ubuntu@edciitr.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:17 walterbender mzepf: wanna start us off?
17:17 Thengrad <Thengrad!~Thengrad@yacht.rit.edu> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:18 walterbender hmm...
17:18 CDeLorme: maybe you can start?
17:19 maybe I am not really connected?
17:19 hello?
17:20 surajgillespie Hi I'm here
17:20 decause I'm here, just pinged Casey
17:20 callkalpa hi all
17:20 axitkhurana Hi!
17:21 boredomist Hello
17:22 CDeLorme here
17:22 This week I looked into Telepathy and Jabber, since we need a common communication service between platforms.
17:22 alsroot <alsroot!~alsroot@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:22 alsroot has quit IRC
17:22 alsroot <alsroot!~alsroot@pdpc/supporter/active/antilopa-gnu> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:22 sridhar <sridhar!~sridhar@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:22 ajay <ajay!~ajay@2001:4830:134:7::11> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:23 CDeLorme I spoke with alsroot regarding the sugarlabs jabber server and he helped clarify how to connect and register.
17:23 I found a peice of software called gajim that is based on Gtk+ and python with telepathy and jabber, so I am in the process of tearing that apart.
17:23 but I still don't have an solid Gtk3 specific references, so it's been mostly reading, I will be doing tests starting on Monday
17:24 walterbender CDeLorme: tch may be able to help
17:24 or rgs
17:25 both know the collabora guys pretty well too
17:26 CDeLorme Excellent, I will ask them when I start doing some code, the telepathy protocol is the biggest blocker for me right now.
17:26 dbus is... complicated might not be the right word.
17:27 walterbender CDeLorme: lots of people in #sugar who can help with that part
17:27 Cerlyn <Cerlyn!~cerlyn@mail.globisgroup.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:28 walterbender any questions/comments for Casey?
17:31 surajgillespie: wanna chime in?
17:31 surajgillespie Yup
17:32 I was away from home for a few days, so work slowed down a bit.
17:32 Nevertheless,
17:32 my work on the activity palette was merged,
17:32 then i read up on Jasmine framework and managed to write a small patch for unit testing of env.js,
17:33 finally, got my blog up and running.
17:33 For the forthcoming week/s my objective is to come up with specifications and develop a webactivity.
17:33 walterbender cool
17:33 surajgillespie An activity which can replicate http://markable.in/
17:33 walterbender I just wrote my first webactivity this morning :)
17:34 surajgillespie walterbender: Ah. I'll try that :)
17:34 Also, lookign into a bug which has crept into webactivities.
17:35 walterbender which one :)
17:35 surajgillespie When you place the move over the activity icon in the home view,
17:35 a pop up drops down.
17:35 walterbender yes
17:35 by design
17:35 surajgillespie they don't appear for web activities.
17:35 walterbender they do for me
17:35 surajgillespie Hmm. . strange.
17:36 did you play around with datastore?
17:36 of the web activity, i meant ?
17:36 walterbender well, you have to click
17:37 I haven't gotten to the DS yet... just sprites, mouse events, drawing on the canvas...
17:37 trying to get toolbar buttons to work now
17:37 they are more complicated than they need to be
17:37 surajgillespie Ok, I noticed that, for other activities when we just hover the mouse over the activity icon in the home view
17:38 a popup drops down where we can create a new instance
17:38 walterbender surajgillespie: yes. python activities use hover to preview toolbars
17:38 but it seems we need to click in JS
17:39 surajgillespie But when we click ,it opens the activity itself.
17:39 mzepf is back (sorry!)
17:40 walterbender surajgillespie: I guess we are talking about two different things: the toolbar and the homepage?
17:40 surajgillespie: maybe we can discuss in #sugar after the meeting?
17:40 surajgillespie I was talking about the home view/ homepage :)
17:40 alright.
17:40 That's my update for the week.
17:41 walterbender thx
17:41 boredomist: wanna go next?
17:41 boredomist sure
17:42 This week I worked on a lot more finalizing of the server, and began working on the client interface
17:42 I made the API return descriptive error messages and added some more documentation on the API
17:43 I added a new backend using yandex's translation service (i don't remember if this was implemented already last friday)
17:43 Added a few more tests, and made the html front a bit friendlier to use
17:44 walterbender boredomist: can you paste the url?
17:44 boredomist sure, one second
17:45 http://home.erikprice.net:5005/
17:45 walterbender: ^
17:46 walterbender thx
17:47 doesn't let me select languages :P
17:47 boredomist well that's no good
17:47 what are you doing?
17:47 decause boredomist: working for me :) nice work thusfar
17:49 gonzalo_odiard boredomist, what backend is using to translate?
17:49 walterbender maybe I have a broken Chome...
17:49 decause walterbender: I'm using firefox
17:50 boredomist gonzalo_odiard: depends on the languages. selects between apertium, api.apertium.org, and yandex
17:50 i'm also using firefox, i'll try in chrome
17:51 walterbender yup... works for me in Firefox too
17:51 surajgillespie Works in chrome for me :)
17:51 boredomist walterbender: it seems to work for me in chrome.
17:51 walterbender funny. I have had some problems with some other sites in chrome since I upgraded to F19
17:52 boredomist it's somewhat counterintuitive in that if you select the "to" language, then the "from" language, the "to" language will be reset
17:52 i need to change that
17:55 walterbender: i would guess that the initial request to /api/v1/pairs (which populates the translation selections) is being blocked somehow, but i'm not sure
17:57 walterbender anything else for boredomist ?
17:57 boredomist nothing more from me
17:57 decause boredomist: nice work
17:58 boredomist thanks
17:58 walterbender axitkhurana: next?
17:58 axitkhurana sure.
17:58 Sorry, not much to report this week:
17:59 - Added a method to webservices Account to get latest post from webservice and a class to store a generic post from any service.
17:59 - On clicking the small cloud icon (above the friend's buddy icon) the post gets printed to the log currently, which will be later displayed in the expanded view of the mini profiles, when the GTK widget is ready.
17:59 .
18:01 walterbender some progress
18:02 axitkhurana Yes, next week I will try to have at least a working implementation of (expanded) mini profiles.
18:03 walterbender looking forward to it
18:03 anyone have any comments?
18:04 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
18:04 brush <brush!~ryan@yacht.rit.edu> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:06 walterbender callkalpa: wanna report?
18:06 callkalpa sure
18:07 as per the discussion I had with walterbender and gonzalo, we agreed to drop Mallard and use the current rst
18:07 I have implemented a help viewer with webkit that is capable of displaying the help in the activity
18:08 it is accessed with Alt+Shift+h, then a window will pop up and display the help there. Similar to view source
18:09 for simplicity the relationship between the activity and help file is maintained in a text file which will be maintained by the help content maintainer
18:09 walterbender nice
18:09 callkalpa I have tested it and it displays the help of the current activity
18:10 walterbender callkalpa: is there a patch I can apply for testing?
18:10 callkalpa There's some more work to be done such as displaying error messages when there are no help content
18:10 I didn't push yet, thought to complete the rest of the work and push it
18:11 walterbender callkalpa: maybe it should spam the maintainer to write help :)
18:11 DAWacker_mobile <DAWacker_mobile!~DAWacker@176.sub-174-236-4.myvzw.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:11 callkalpa will do so in the next couple of days
18:11 gonzalo_odiard callkalpa, yes :)
18:11 walterbender callkalpa: it would be nice to be able to play with it, even in its incomplete state
18:11 rgs CDeLorme: (re gtk3 or any other questions - just send me a pm)
18:11 walterbender very nice
18:12 callkalpa :-) I thought of something like "help content for this activity is not available, want to continue? please visit <help content writing page link>" :-)
18:12 Once that part is over, I'll look into l10n with sphinx
18:13 gonzalo_odiard callkalpa, just ask if you have any problem, i already tested that
18:13 decause callkalpa: I def enjoy sphinx, glad you are looking into that route
18:13 callkalpa gonzalo_odiard, great
18:14 that's all for the moment, I'll send you a patch tonight
18:14 walterbender callkalpa: maybe email the group when your patch is ready to test
18:14 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!~CanoeBerr@wnpgmb11dc5-4-179.hspalte.​dynamic.mtsallstream.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:14 callkalpa sure
18:14 walterbender mzepf: wanna go next?
18:14 mzepf walterbender: Sure.
18:15 Sorry for not having been available at the beginning of the meeting.
18:15 This week, I replaced the primitives of some blocks with instances of my new Primitive class.
18:16 (Primitives are the stuff that gets executed when the block is run.)
18:16 This has the advantage that the Primitive objects can not only be executed, but also transformed into Python ASTs.
18:17 I've plugged my work into TurtleArt, and it works.
18:17 Next week, I'll focus on the transformation into ASTs.
18:18 walterbender mzepf: I'll do some testing over the weekend...
18:18 did I forget anyone?
18:18 rahul could not come today
18:19 decause I've got an exciting update to share if everyone is done :)
18:19 walterbender decause: sure...
18:19 decause http://www.rit.edu/news/story.php?id=50113
18:19 walterbender decause: glad to see "Sugar" referenced :)
18:20 very cool
18:20 decause walterbender: we've incorporated your feedback, yes :)
18:20 DAWacker_mobile has quit IRC
18:21 decause tl;dr, one of the Sugar activities developed in the HFOSS course at RIT, and hacked on during the National Day of Civic Hacking, was selected to attend the Champions for Change event at the White House :)
18:22 SkyTime is still under active development, and the team is working on translations. So far they've got espanol, and Francais.
18:22 boredomist: I'll be pointing our students at your service for help with the translations to other languages :)
18:22 we're sending Jenn to the event with 2 XO laptops for the showcase
18:24 gonzalo_odiard decause, congratulations :)
18:24 walterbender decause: they should add it to pootle so the i18n team can do the translations
18:24 decause walterbender: oh?
18:24 walterbender decause: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/S[…]Sugar_in_the_news
18:24 decause: I can explain the process to them
18:24 gonzalo_odiard decause, maybe can use same translations from clock activity?
18:24 decause walterbender: that would be quite helpful
18:25 walterbender I have one heads up: in two weeks is the mid-term evaluation for GSoC
18:25 decause: have them ping me
18:25 decause walterbender: can do
18:25 brush: ^
18:25 let the rest of the team know please
18:26 walterbender: we'll have the students document the process so that future projects can easily follow the same steps during their coursework
18:26 walterbender goodness
18:27 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
18:27 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!~CanoeBerr@wnpgmb11dc5-4-20.hspalte.dynamic.mtsallstream.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:27 walterbender anything else for today?
18:27 seems like lots of progress on many fronts
18:27 decause #agree
18:28 walterbender thanks everyone.
18:28 #endmeeting
18:28 meeting Meeting ended Fri Jul 12 18:28:18 2013 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
18:28 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-12T17:15:37.html
18:28 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]13-07-12T17:15:37
18:29 decause &
18:31 brush decause: onit
18:48 Thengrad has left #sugar-meeting
18:49 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
18:49 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!~CanoeBerr@wnpgmb11dc5-4-73.hspalte.dynamic.mtsallstream.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:54 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
18:56 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!~CanoeBerr@wnpgmb11dc5-5-129.hspalte.​dynamic.mtsallstream.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:03 CanoeBerry_ <CanoeBerry_!~CanoeBerr@wnpgmb11dc5-4-88.hspalte.dynamic.mtsallstream.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:03 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
20:05 Cerlyn has quit IRC
20:16 ChanServ has quit IRC
20:21 ChanServ <ChanServ!ChanServ@services.> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:21 pratchett.freenode.net sets mode: +o ChanServ
20:23 callkalpa has quit IRC
20:31 surajgillespie has left #sugar-meeting
20:32 CanoeBerry_ has quit IRC
21:39 Cerlyn <Cerlyn!~ALEIN@99-94-164-226.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:16 gonzalo_odiard has quit IRC
22:40 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!~CanoeBerr@38.108.79.102> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:28 walterbender has quit IRC
23:41 mzepf has quit IRC

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster