Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2013-01-28

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
04:47 CanoeBerry_ has quit IRC
08:15 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:03 gonzalo_odiard <gonzalo_odiard!~gonzalo@190.173.31.57> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:19 alsroot has quit IRC
11:32 alsroot <alsroot!~alsroot@94.137.229.183> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:32 alsroot has quit IRC
11:32 alsroot <alsroot!~alsroot@pdpc/supporter/active/antilopa-gnu> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:29 gonzalo_odiard has quit IRC
12:30 gonzalo_ <gonzalo_!~gonzalo@190.173.31.57> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:12 italy <italy!~sa@adsl-ull-214-85.47-151.net24.it> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:14 italy has quit IRC
13:17 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!~CanoeBerr@pool-98-113-196-234.nycmny.fios.verizon.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:35 garycmartin <garycmartin!~garycmart@2.25.18.7> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:05 satellit_e <satellit_e!~satellit_@bbb72-0-185-15.bendbroadband.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:14 satellit has quit IRC
16:14 satellit <satellit!~satellit@bbb72-0-185-15.bendbroadband.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:25 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
18:31 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!~CanoeBerr@pool-98-113-196-234.nycmny.fios.verizon.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:47 gonzalo__ <gonzalo__!~gonzalo@190.173.27.107> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:47 gonzalo_ has quit IRC
21:29 gonzalo__ has quit IRC
21:43 CanoeBerry_ <CanoeBerry_!~CanoeBerr@pool-98-113-196-234.nycmny.fios.verizon.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:46 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
22:46 Cerlyn_ <Cerlyn_!~ALEIN@99-94-164-226.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:52 sdanielf <sdanielf!~danielf@r186-49-32-137.dialup.adsl.anteldata.net.uy> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:54 cjl hello sdanielf
22:54 hello ClaudiaU
22:55 hello CanoeBerry_
22:55 ClaudiaU hello
22:55 cjl ClaudiaU: How is the article wit hWalter going?
22:56 walterbender <walterbender!~chatzilla@146-115-134-246.c3-0.nwt-ubr​1.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:56 ClaudiaU we submitted the article last week to the conference
22:56 cjl cool
22:56 walterbender hi all
22:56 ClaudiaU review started today, we'll see
22:56 gonzalo__ <gonzalo__!~gonzalo@190.173.27.107> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:57 ClaudiaU hi walterbender
22:57 CanoeBerry_ is now known as CanoeBerry
22:57 sdanielf hi everybody
22:57 ClaudiaU hello sdanielf, gonzalo__, CanoeBerry
22:58 gonzalo__ hello ClaudiaU, sdanielf, CanoeBerry, walterbender
22:59 JT4sugar <JT4sugar!~JT@d192-24-234-153.try.wideopenwest.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:59 walterbender I think we have a quorum
23:00 but once again, I forgot to send the reminder
23:00 needs a reminder for the reminder
23:00 CanoeBerry JT4sugar: thanks so much for the Detroit hospitality & tips..even if the Henry Ford Museum refuses to install Sugar on its production lines ;)
23:00 walterbender shall we start?
23:00 #start-meeting
23:00 meeting Meeting started Mon Jan 28 23:00:42 2013 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
23:00 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
23:00 walterbender welcome all
23:00 CanoeBerry Ciao todos
23:00 cjl hallo
23:01 gonzalo__ hello :)
23:01 walterbender a few announcements...
23:01 Google Code In is over
23:02 cjl notes he owes sean a response on PR
23:02 walterbender Google will announce the winners next Monday
23:02 and we will have a press release as well
23:02 the theme is the next generation of hackers
23:03 ClaudiaU nice
23:03 walterbender I think it will be a nice way to kick off the new year PR campaign.
23:03 the winners are a secret
23:03 but I will say they span two continents
23:04 cjl Not an easy process, there wer eso many good contributors
23:04 sdanielf walterbender, let's keep it secret :)
23:04 walterbender which speaks well to the international nature of our program
23:04 and there is some really nice work to be folded into the next release
23:05 cjl Whihc we are tracking until it lands in repos
23:05 walterbender sdanielf contributed a great patch: to allow multiple home views
23:05 and we have a patch from aguz to load a picture on the home view
23:06 cjl: can you paste the link?
23:06 cjl and some great i18n work done on a bunch of activities
23:06 gonzalo__ i have received good contributions for activities too
23:06 walterbender yes... some very nice patches.
23:06 gonzalo__: have the fototoon patches landed?
23:07 and some nice infoslicer patches too
23:07 gonzalo__ walterbender, yes, not released the activity yet, but are in git
23:07 cjl http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/G[…]/GCI2012_followup is jsut the stuff we are chasing inot repos
23:07 walterbender is behind...
23:07 gonzalo__ cjl, i need update it
23:07 cjl http://www.google-melange.com/[…]012#all_org_tasks is th efull list
23:07 walterbender a couple of other bits of news
23:08 gonzalo__ and the work done in tamtam was a really good help
23:08 sorry, please continue
23:08 cjl All in all a real win for Sugar labs (and I hope also the participants)
23:09 walterbender we have been working with a company that makes bulk USB copy equipment (nextcopy)
23:09 they set up http://recycleusb.com/ for us
23:10 and we are about to get a batch of 200 SoaS images to give to teachers
23:10 sdanielf great
23:10 walterbender err... nexcopy (no t)
23:11 it is a nice idea and nice that it working...
23:11 GeraldA <GeraldA!~quassel@ool-4a59b1ff.dyn.optonline.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:11 gonzalo__ +1
23:11 cjl hallo GeraldA
23:11 walterbender GeraldA: need the backlog?
23:12 GeraldA Yes, please
23:12 sdanielf has quit IRC
23:12 walterbender http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]etings/2013-01-28
23:13 another new tidbit
23:13 I spoke to the publisher of my book today and I will be able to distribute a pared back version of the Sugar Chapter freely
23:14 GeraldA That's great.
23:14 walterbender they said they would entertain a Spanish and French translation too
23:14 final news tidbit: Raul, Bernie and I will be having a mini Sugar Camp next weekend.
23:15 in SF
23:15 cjl walterbender: What are you focusing on?
23:15 walterbender I think we'll look at Python 3 and Journal integration into the cloud
23:16 cjb has quit IRC
23:16 walterbender we'll be on #sugar during the camp.... so others can join us.
23:17 Did anyone have any specific topics for today?
23:17 sdanielf <sdanielf!~danielf@r186-49-34-240.dialup.adsl.anteldata.net.uy> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:17 JT4sugar walterbender, Could you also begin discussions on how assessment might also be addressed or structured in the cloud initiatives
23:18 sdanielf sorry, connection error
23:18 walterbender JT4sugar: we could...  I want to get over the initial hurdle of sharing projects and then we can figure out how we might add a layer on top of that
23:18 sdanielf: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]etings/2013-01-28
23:18 JT4sugar walterbender, Sounds good
23:19 walterbender Sean would like to arrange a meeting to discuss PR, but this time is a little late for him.
23:20 I will let him schedule something and hopefully most of us can attend
23:20 there is some real movement on HTML5 and Javascript support...
23:21 gonzalo__ walterbender, about the request of info about PythonJoven, I sent a mail to Flavio Danesse, but he was on vacation, replied he will send a report when he is back
23:21 walterbender gonzalo__: great.
23:21 I was hoping for some photos too, for the PR event...
23:22 gonzalo__ maybe sdanielf have photos? or we can use photos shared in gooogle+
23:23 walterbender I was looking at some of the photos that Flavio has shared... some good ones
23:23 sdanielf All photos I have were shared by Flavio. Ask him to redistribute them if necessary will be best.
23:24 walterbender sdanielf: I want to have that conversation about how to get some teachers to lead the way to more and better use of Sugar in the classroom in .UY
23:24 ClaudiaU has some ideas on that too
23:25 maybe when Flavio is back, we can schedule a chat? (in Spanish)
23:25 ClaudiaU sounds good
23:25 gonzalo__ walterbender, about pr, maybe we can request a photo to every participant in GSoC and make some collage?
23:25 sdanielf sure, he can join #sugar-meeting-es
23:26 cjb <cjb!~cjb@2001:4830:1171:0:89e1:1697:6b49:d078> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:26 walterbender gonzalo__: we could try... cjl: do we have their emails?
23:26 cjl walterbender: I think we may have them onmelange, but being underage is a bit of an issue
23:27 walterbender yeah... right
23:27 gonzalo__ cjl, i is a gently request.....
23:27 cjl Theoretically they cannot consent ot a photographer's release\
23:28 gonzalo__ at times forget we lives in a paranoid world
23:28 cjl *sigh*
23:30 walterbender any other topics for today?
23:30 CanoeBerry just a mention of Feb 22-24 in LA: http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale11x
23:30 gonzalo__ i have a question, should we do some planning about community events? may be open to receive  proposals?
23:31 CanoeBerry where Caryl and likely George Hunt should be presenting Sugar * School Server on Rasperri Pi etc
23:32 walterbender we could be more organized about it
23:32 sdanielf walterbender: +1
23:33 walterbender also to take more advantage of the various conferences... for example, I am presenting at Pycon.... a chance to do some recruiting
23:33 ClaudiaU walterbender: if our paper is accepted we can use it to motivate other people to do similar work
23:33 and we also talk about doing TA international day
23:33 we should think about that
23:34 i think both events will allow sugar to get closer to teachers
23:34 walterbender ClaudiaU: yes... we need to get moving on that so we can solicit some funding
23:34 ClaudiaU: I am at twine tomorrow
23:34 ClaudiaU me too
23:35 gonzalo__ walterbender, we have participated in the Arg version of PyCon the last 3 years, is a great community
23:35 ClaudiaU let's do some planning and we can report to others next week
23:35 walterbender OK
23:37 #action I will ask Sean to schedule the PR meeting... in the meanwhile cjl and I will work with him on the GCI release for next week
23:37 gonzalo__ participate in other events is great, we need continue, but i was thinking in something like eduJam, but maybe with one objective
23:37 walterbender #action gonzalo__ will speak with Flavio about meeting to discuss expanding his influence
23:38 gonzalo__ perfect
23:38 walterbender #action ClaudiaU and I will meet to start planning TA Day
23:38 ClaudiaU sounds good
23:39 walterbender gonzalo__: +1 to a SugarJam event with hackers and teachers
23:39 we need to fund raise for that too
23:40 gonzalo__ walterbender, tincho in (py) want do something
23:40 walterbender yes...
23:41 ClaudiaU SugarJam is broader in scope, but similar purpose.. no?
23:41 the idea is to open to the community... teacher in particular
23:41 i think SugarJam could be great oportunity for teachers to feel that they have a voice
23:41 walterbender I think so... the problem I had with EduJam was convincing them to involve teachers...
23:41 ClaudiaU and they can contribute
23:42 hmmm
23:42 sdanielf walterbender, another problem with EduJAM is that it's not free, people need to pay
23:42 gonzalo__ there are two ideas, both importants, but not easy to put in the same event, one is involve teachers, other is have time to work/plan face to face
23:42 ClaudiaU let's do one... showing results could be a good way to convince others
23:43 sdanielf: and let's try to make it free
23:43 walterbender gonzalo__: I think a Camp is different.... the Jam should be about sharing experiences and opening up new possibilities...
23:43 to try to use it for coding is overloading it
23:44 we recently made that mistake in SF
23:44 gonzalo__ walterbender, yes, planning/discuss ideas is more important than coding in events
23:45 JT4sugar Should think of building it around teachers and look to provide developers scholarships to attend and listen to figure out how they can Code for teachers needs. Fundraise for teacher and developer scholarships and do PR for it.
23:45 walterbender JT4sugar: +1
23:45 GeraldA JT4Sugar +1
23:47 ClaudiaU +1
23:47 walterbender so we need a subcommittee to do the planning
23:47 and report back...
23:47 any volunteers?
23:47 GeraldA Yes
23:48 gonzalo__ if is in the south, i can help
23:48 walterbender once we have a description, we can seek some funding
23:48 gonzalo__: maybe we meet in the middle (.NI)?
23:48 GeraldA Where would we have it?
23:48 ClaudiaU .NI sounds good
23:49 gonzalo__ walterbender, can be a good idea
23:49 walterbender let's figure out what it is and then we can find a venue
23:49 I think there are a few potential funders for such things
23:50 (how about Goa?)
23:50 in India
23:50 GeraldA nice
23:50 gonzalo__ should be nice
23:50 walterbender well, if you guys can put together a prospectus, I'll help shop it around
23:51 ClaudiaU I am happy to help
23:51 JT4sugar I can work with Gerald to help put something together
23:51 GeraldA That's great.
23:51 walterbender is reminded, we need to work on the website too... will speak with Bernie on the weekend.
23:52 #action GeraldA will lead a team to put together a prospectus for a SugarJam
23:52 needs to sign off soon today... grandfather duty
23:53 gonzalo__ :)
23:53 ClaudiaU :)
23:53 walterbender we have a lot queued up
23:53 GeraldA :)
23:53 ClaudiaU yes
23:53 walterbender ClaudiaU: I'll find you at twine tomorrow
23:53 JT4sugar walterbender, If you can get update from Bernie how GCI Website work will fit into infrastructure and steps needed going forward then we can hatch plan with Sean and others to move forward
23:53 sdanielf :) walterbender, Is there time to tell a last idea?
23:53 ClaudiaU yes! See you tomorrow
23:54 walterbender sdanielf: yes... please
23:54 JT4sugar: I'll report back this weekend
23:54 sdanielf Events help to involve teachers, but they would be needing updated documentation
23:54 JT4sugar walterbender, Great
23:55 walterbender sdanielf: are you thinking of a doc sprint?
23:55 sdanielf maybe, we are near to release Sugar 1 and some docs are of Sugar 0.86
23:56 walterbender sdanielf: I was hoping we'd get some videos from GCI
23:56 sdanielf: we did get an update of Sdenka's book to Sugar 0.98...
23:56 sdanielf: but I agree...
23:56 gonzalo__ i was trying to involve people in update the help without success
23:57 sdanielf I think we are needing to re-involve the documentation team
23:57 cjl What happened wit hthe work CanoeBerry did on the Sugar book?
23:58 walterbender sdanielf: we need to recruit a new team, I think...
23:58 CanoeBerry: ???
23:58 cjl Not sure if it evere landed on FLOSSManuals or not
23:58 CanoeBerry Julia Reynolds had taken it, Christoph D followed the results better than I.
23:58 walterbender I cannot ever get FLOSS manuals to update so I have mostly given up on that route
23:59 gonzalo__ ClaudiaU, do you know somthing about Julia?
23:59 walterbender CanoeBerry: can you do some investigation into status? where the resources are kept?

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster