Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2011-10-20

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:58 cjb <cjb!~cjb@bob.laptop.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:45 dirakx <dirakx!~rafael@190.158.180.68> has joined #sugar-meeting
04:04 scorche` is now known as scorche
05:39 dirakx has quit IRC
06:05 dirakx <dirakx!~rafael@190.158.180.68> has joined #sugar-meeting
06:30 yama has quit IRC
06:31 yama <yama!~yama@124-171-31-122.dyn.iinet.net.au> has joined #sugar-meeting
06:31 yama has quit IRC
06:31 yama <yama!~yama@ubuntu/member/yama> has joined #sugar-meeting
07:19 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
07:36 mk8 <mk8!~torello@ip-212-141.sn1.eutelia.it> has joined #sugar-meeting
09:09 scorche has quit IRC
09:11 scorche <scorche!~scorche@rockbox/administrator/scorche> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:10 gonzalo <gonzalo!~gonzalo@190.173.19.233> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:19 walterbender <walterbender!~chatzilla@146-115-134-246.c3-0.nwt-ubr​1.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:22 dcorking <dcorking!~dcorking@109.176.201.46> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:25 dcorking_ <dcorking_!~dcorking@109.176.201.46> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:25 manuq <manuq!~manuq@190.183.231.141> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:26 dcorking_ is now known as InfantGorilla
12:26 dcorking has quit IRC
12:30 gepatino <gepatino!~gepatino@190.2.44.65> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:32 InfantGorilla has quit IRC
13:37 InfantGorilla <InfantGorilla!~dcorking@109.176.201.46> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:46 InfantGorilla has quit IRC
14:17 manuq has quit IRC
14:24 manuq <manuq!~manuq@190.183.231.141> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:58 bernie present
14:59 walterbender hi bernie
15:00 icarito <icarito!~webchat@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:00 bernie cjb: hello?
15:00 raffal <raffal!~webchat@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:00 icarito hola bernie walterbender cjb alsroot
15:01 alsroot hi all
15:01 cjb hi folks
15:01 walterbender hi all... seems we have a quorum
15:01 #start-meeting
15:01 meeting Meeting started Thu Oct 20 15:01:17 2011 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:01 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
15:01 acaire11 <acaire11!~webchat@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:01 walterbender I'd like to start off with a quick discussion regarding the upcoming SLOB election
15:01 #topic SLOB election
15:02 Last time, there was some back and forth regarding publicity for the election and I want to make sure we address that up front this time.
15:03 Canoeberry was particularly outspoken and so, even though he is not here at the moment, I would like to task him with taking charge of this issue.
15:03 Since I am one of the people running for reelection, I don't think I should be the one doing this.
15:05 But I do implore all of you to help sign up contributors who are not yet members, so that they can vote and to help recruit candidates so that we have a representative board
15:06 bernie I was wondering... don't we ever expire memberships?
15:06 we have some members from 2008 who have obviously been inactive for years.
15:06 walterbender bernie: not that I know of... is it necessary?
15:06 icarito the wiki says we'll ask for confirmation yearly
15:06 walterbender presumably they won't vote... but we could do an analysis from the last election...
15:07 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!~CanoeBerr@adsl-67-122-137-6.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:07 bernie they keep getting our election spam, though... there should be at least a procedure to voluntarily cancel Sugar Labs membership, no?
15:07 CanoeBerry Hi!
15:07 walterbender hi adam... do you need the backlog?
15:08 bernie CanoeBerry: hello there: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]eeting/2011-10-20
15:08 walterbender icarito: it says "reviewed" not "confirmed"
15:08 icarito walterbender, CanoeBerry hi - its availabel at http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]eeting/2011-10-20
15:08 CanoeBerry Thanks.
15:08 walterbender icarito: I defer to our membership committee how they want to handle it
15:09 icarito walterbender: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/S[…]_assurance_policy
15:09 "once a year members are asked to confirm"
15:09 manuq has quit IRC
15:09 icarito looks like we have a policy we're not following
15:09 walterbender icarito: my apologies... I didn't reaqd below the fold
15:10 icarito: not the first time :P
15:10 bernie ah, that's interesting.
15:10 alsroot lets read our wiki!
15:10 walterbender I guess we best remind the membership committee of its own rules
15:11 bernie our membership infrastructure is almost non-existent. we have an rt queue for membership requests and a spreadsheet listing the members.
15:11 CanoeBerry bernie: do you have suggestions for cleaning/promoting our SL membership list?  EG. Tony Anderson sitting right next to me is a very active contributor yet not on the list..
15:11 bernie we should perhaps switch to a proper crm
15:11 icarito bernie: perhaps alsroot single sign in proposal fits in nicely
15:11 bernie CanoeBerry: did he request membership?
15:11 walterbender CanoeBerry: Tony ignores the calls to join... Not sure what we can do about that.
15:12 icarito CanoeBerry: he must go thru the new member process like everyone
15:12 CanoeBerry: if he wants to vote
15:12 walterbender CanoeBerry: maybe ask him why he never signed up?
15:12 bernie CanoeBerry: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/S[…]ng_for_membership
15:12 CanoeBerry http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/S[…]Labs/Members/List
15:13 walterbender CanoeBerry: will you take charge of drumming up interest in the election as per the discussion right before you arrived?
15:14 CanoeBerry I don't know much about marketing, but yes I can ask people to jump in the ring on all the usual mailing lists.
15:14 icarito walterbender, CanoeBerry - i think it's all of SLOBs responsibility to drum up interest in the process
15:14 bernie icarito: but not if we're running for re-election... there would be a conflict of interest
15:14 icarito also our user community is mostly spanish speaking
15:14 CanoeBerry The harder question is how we remove folk who haven't shown signs of life for a year or 2 or 3..
15:15 icarito bernie: I see no harm in candidates rallying for members / more candidates
15:15 bernie CanoeBerry: i'd propose to remove those for which we have no email address immediately... we can't even contact them for voting anyway.
15:15 walterbender doesn't see why the dead wood matters...
15:16 bernie CanoeBerry: for the rest, we could let the membcom figure out what to do.
15:16 walterbender I propose we let the membership committee sort it out, but that we remind them of the rules
15:16 CanoeBerry is Luke F. the membership committee?
15:16 bernie (going into the procedural details of how to lapse memberships is outside the scope of SLOBs, imho... there's a membership committee to take care of this)
15:16 CanoeBerry Walter's correct that dead wood is generally harmless.
15:17 bernie CanoeBerry: yes, only him at the moment, but I'll join him for the next election.
15:17 icarito i think there should be a spanish speaker in the membership commitee - maybe we can solicit help here?
15:17 bernie icarito: maybe dirakx?
15:17 walterbender icarito: +1 make it happen
15:18 bernie icarito: or anyone else you know... but not someone running for reelection this year.
15:18 icarito bernie: we can ask dirakx or maybe pflores, +1
15:19 bernie and i'd propose giving the membcomb folks full autonomy on how to manage memberships. we have a tendency of micro-managing these things...
15:19 walterbender it would be nice to have someone who isn't employed by one of the candidates as well
15:19 CanoeBerry bernie: i disagree
15:19 icarito bernie: +1
15:19 bernie CanoeBerry: so they should seek for approval after they've come up with a plan?
15:19 alsroot CanoeBerry: the reason?
15:19 CanoeBerry slobs being disallowed from being involved in cultivating membership in their own organization is ridiculous
15:20 walterbender thinks the membership committee is the agency, but not the policy maker
15:20 icarito walterbender: can you suggest someone?
15:20 bernie CanoeBerry: slobs are welcome, except when they're running for re-election
15:20 CanoeBerry ok
15:20 bernie CanoeBerry: chairs last 2 years...
15:21 raffal has quit IRC
15:21 walterbender icarito: I can think of lots of very active members who speak Spanish, e.g. Gonzalo, Guzman, Rosamel, Marianna, Claudia, ...
15:22 icarito walterbender: maybe gonzalo or ClaudiaU_
15:22 raffael <raffael!5ddb267b@gateway/web/freenode/ip.93.219.38.123> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:22 walterbender icarito: I will see Claudia today and can ask her.
15:22 CanoeBerry Caryl Bigenho..
15:22 icarito walterbender: great
15:22 walterbender icarito: it has the advantage of reach into the learning side of Sugar, which is under repesented IMHO
15:22 CanoeBerry Has been extremely active is translating to Spanish..
15:23 icarito walterbender: unless she'll run this year as candidate I guess
15:23 walterbender CanoeBerry: we could have more than one!!
15:23 CanoeBerry French-speaker too possibly, at some point..
15:24 walterbender lets take it as an action that we will all try to recruit more members (with language skills) to the membership committee... nice to get Rwanda represented as well
15:24 icarito thinks we're at a point where official sugar labs communications should try to be bi-lingual {spanish, english}
15:24 bernie icarito: that would be great, if we have the manpower to do it
15:24 walterbender icarito: we have stumbled re translation several times...
15:25 icarito bernie: official sugar labs communications are so rare that I don't think it should be a problem asking the community
15:26 walterbender icarito: I don't think anyone objects to the idea... but how it gets done is an open question
15:26 speaking of questions, CanoeBerry ^^
15:27 will you be willing to take responsibility for publicizing the election?
15:27 CanoeBerry: I'd like to avoid the mess we had last time
15:29 ping
15:29 CanoeBerry Luke's done a great job setting this year's election dates down, but absoluely they need to be publicized more, so let's start by doing that right here:
15:29 ELECTION DETAILS FOR 2011-2012: http://lists.sugarlabs.org/arc[…]tober/014205.html
15:29 - 2011-11-07 23:59 EST: Deadline for applications for membership.
15:29 - 2011-11-12 23:59 EST: All membership applications processed.
15:29 - 2011-11-15 23:59 EST: Candidate list closed.
15:29 - 2011-11-16 17:00 EST: Ballots sent by email, start of voting period.
15:29 - 2011-11-30 17:00 EST: Voting period ends.
15:30 walterbender CanoeBerry: FWIW, at least three emails have gone out to iaep, community-news, and sugar-devel. and at least one to sur
15:30 icarito walterbender, CanoeBerry just send that on all the Sugar lists in Eng/Spa - I think that should be enough?
15:31 walterbender and French :P
15:31 icarito: and Quechua :)
15:31 icarito walterbender: when we have 1 million quechua speakers I'll agree
15:31 btw we have other topics
15:32 s/speakers/users/g
15:32 walterbender we do... I am waiting for Canoeberry to answer my question so we can wrap this one up.
15:34 I guess he has a bad connection. I will take it up with him offline, but we need someone to take responsibility for publicity.
15:34 gonzalo please check the ballot mails are not trapped by spam filters. the last vote (about license) many of us found the mails after the election in our spam filters, and a important part of the members didn't voted
15:34 CanoeBerry i think everybody needs to take (some) responsibility to promote membership and election participation, but yes i will do my part
15:35 icarito gonzalo: +1
15:35 walterbender CanoeBerry: thanks... having one person driving it will make a difference.
15:35 gonzalo: please discuss this with Luke.
15:35 #agreed CanoeBerry will lead the publicity efforts for the 2011 election cycle
15:35 icarito gonzalo: can you help us be a part of the election commitee? we need the election communicatino to be bilingual
15:36 walterbender shall we move on?
15:36 icarito walterbender: I dont think that's what CanoeBerry is saying
15:36 walterbender CanoeBerry: can you please clarify?
15:37 gonzalo icarito: may be anybody like pflores can be contacted?
15:37 icarito gonzalo: you, dirakx pflores ClaudiaU_ any active member who speaks Eng/Spa is welcome and would be very appreciated
15:38 walterbender #agreed that we should send election mailing out in English and Spanish...
15:39 but can we leave the details to be sorted out... not a SLOBs topic IMHO... we need to move on
15:39 but we need to clarify CanoeBerry's role
15:40 icarito walterbender: I think CanoeBerry's been very clear it's all of us who are responsible and I agree
15:40 no need for a leader
15:41 can we move on?
15:41 walterbender icarito: I disagree and that is why I asked if CanoeBerry would take the lead...
15:41 CanoeBerry i'm sending an email right now, kicking all people to consider becoming SL members and SL candidates, but all need to do more
15:41 icarito walterbender: there he's leading now ;-)
15:41 walterbender icarito: in our past experience we needed someone driving the effort
15:42 icarito: so it seems there is no disagreement... leading doesn't mean others are not responsible.
15:42 icarito ok
15:42 walterbender icarito: so can we move on to the next topic? raffael is standing by
15:43 icarito #topic SL Germany
15:43 raffael: how can we help?
15:43 walterbender raffael: can you please summarize the current situation?
15:44 raffael Everythings fine so far: I will start with the name sugar labs berlin - if you agree
15:44 CanoeBerry Email sent.  All plz help me forward it into other languagese / onto other lists far beyond just:
15:44 cjb sounds good to me
15:44 icarito raffael: perfect
15:44 walterbender raffael: +1
15:44 CanoeBerry http://lists.sugarlabs.org/arc[…]tober/014269.html
15:45 icarito raffael: anything else we can help with?
15:45 raffael Do I need the MOU?
15:45 walterbender we need to ratify and we need to get the SFC blessing
15:45 cjb oh yeah, Bradley got mad at us for signing MOUs
15:45 icarito btw this is another topic we need SFC blessings for all Local Labs it seems
15:45 walterbender raffael: I can work with you offline on sorting out the details of an MOU with Bradley
15:46 but it seems we have consensus from SLOBs...
15:46 icarito has anyone responded to bradley's email about this?
15:46 walterbender SLOBs can vote on the final wording
15:46 icarito: I will sort things out with Bradley...
15:47 #agreed raffael and walterbender will work with the SFC on the wording of an MOU to establish SL Berlin
15:47 then SLOBs can vote to ratify
15:48 we already discussed the gist of the MOU and agreed on everything except the name... now we have consensus on that, so I think it will go smoothly
15:48 CanoeBerry time check: i need to run in 10 min (oer less) traveling to SF Summit!
15:48 walterbender OK... next topic?
15:49 icarito next topic?
15:49 walterbender Peru?
15:49 icarito yes Sugar Camp Lima 2011
15:49 walterbender #topic Sugar Camp Lima 2011
15:49 icarito walterbender: have you learned if we can go into contract with the Peru government thru the SFC?
15:50 you agreed to finding out
15:50 walterbender icarito: I don't know... It depends upon the nature of the contract and who 'we' is
15:50 acaire11 hi walter
15:50 we as sugarlabs peru
15:50 remember last meeting?
15:51 walterbender acaire11: SomosAzúcar
15:51 acaire11 SomosAzúcar is SugarLabs Perú
15:51 walterbender It wasn't clear to me from the log of the last meeting what the contract would entail.
15:52 acaire11 funny
15:52 you told us you would as
15:52 ask
15:52 the SFC
15:53 it's vital for our sustainability
15:53 walterbender acaire11: There are two facets to the question: (1) can a local lab act as an agency of SFC and (2) the specifics of a contract
15:54 cjb yeah, SFC is going to want their own lawyers to review the contract, probably
15:54 walterbender acaire11: as far as I understand from my discussions everything depends on #2
15:54 icarito there is a clear procedure for item ( 2 ) - two weeks in advance they need to review the contract
15:54 walterbender cjb: no doubt
15:54 icarito you agreed to ask #1
15:54 walterbender icarito: in my experience, two weeks is wishful thinking
15:55 icarito walterbender: then the documentation in the wiki is misleading, again
15:55 acaire11 so, we can offer services rigth?
15:55 walterbender icarito: #1 is dependent on the nature of the entity... SFC is unequivocally non profit
15:55 CanoeBerry what are the possible timeframes for Sugar Camp Lima 2011?
15:55 acaire11 18 and 19 of november, dates are confirmed
15:55 CanoeBerry thx
15:55 walterbender icarito: the documentation is word for word what SFC told me... but in practice, I have found things take longer...
15:56 icarito #link to temporary site https://sites.google.com/a/som[…]ucarcamplima2011/
15:56 bernie has to leave in 5 minutes
15:57 CanoeBerry too
15:57 walterbender We need to wrap up...
15:57 acaire11 it is very important for us to understand if we can offer our services to the gobernment
15:57 walterbender can I ask that acaire11 and icarito give me more details re the nature of the proposed contract and I will try to get a response from Bradley?
15:58 acaire11: you can offer your services... it is a matter of whether or not SFC will be the entity
15:58 acaire11 consulting
15:58 walterbender acaire11: and I am just giving you a heads up that getting contracts sorted out with the SFC is time consuming
15:59 acaire11: my impression is that there is a deliverable and support...
15:59 acaire11 understood
15:59 walterbender acaire11: that may go beyond the comfort-level of the SFC, but we need to ask to find out
15:59 acaire11 as for now we need your suport to bring aleksey and ruben to lima
15:59 we will go into the formal procedure
16:00 we need their tickets
16:00 :o)
16:00 walterbender acaire11: you need to propose why and how much it will cost and we can evaluate if we can afford it
16:00 acaire11 will do
16:00 thanks to all
16:00 we are counting on you
16:01 walterbender everyone: thanks for attending...
16:01 CanoeBerry As we close, please all consider documenting the parts of Sugar that matter most duringour book sprint tomorrow/onwards..
16:01 bernie sorry, i have to drop off!
16:01 walterbender have a great time in SF..,
16:02 CanoeBerry In SF especially!
16:02 wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_SanFranciscoBayArea/OLP​CSF_Community_Summit_2011/Help_Activity_Refresh
16:02 walterbender CanoeBerry: please let us know how we can help get the word out...
16:02 CanoeBerry http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC[…]_Activity_Refresh
16:02 walterbender should refresh the Sugar book
16:02 OK...
16:02 3
16:02 2
16:03 1
16:03 CanoeBerry Caryl & Christoph leading especially..
16:03 walterbender bon voyage
16:03 #end-meeting
16:03 meeting Meeting ended Thu Oct 20 16:03:10 2011 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
16:03 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-20T15:01:17.html
16:03 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]11-10-20T15:01:17
16:03 raffael has quit IRC
16:23 acaire11 has quit IRC
16:30 walterbender has quit IRC
16:33 mk8 has quit IRC
16:34 mk8 <mk8!~torello@ip-212-141.sn1.eutelia.it> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:15 manuq <manuq!~manuq@190.194.37.157> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:34 walterbender <walterbender!~chatzilla@2001:4830:2446:ff01:5a94:6bff:fe7a:4694> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:36 alsroot icarito: ping
17:40 Mr_R <Mr_R!~rcristal@host-1-148.b2.cvc.com.py> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:52 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
18:03 icarito alsroot: pong
18:46 walterbender has quit IRC
19:02 walterbender <walterbender!~chatzilla@2001:4830:2446:ff01:5a94:6bff:fe7a:4694> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:23 walterbender has quit IRC
19:36 cjb` <cjb`!~cjb@bob.laptop.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:37 cjb has quit IRC
19:37 cjb` is now known as cjb
20:07 Mr_R has quit IRC
20:27 icarito has quit IRC
20:35 walterbender <walterbender!~chatzilla@146-115-134-246.c3-0.nwt-ubr​1.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:03 yama has quit IRC
21:05 gepatino has quit IRC
21:09 yama <yama!~yama@124-149-105-227.dyn.iinet.net.au> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:09 yama has quit IRC
21:09 yama <yama!~yama@ubuntu/member/yama> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:10 manuq has quit IRC
21:15 gonzalo has quit IRC
21:16 gepatino <gepatino!~gepatino@190.2.44.65> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:30 dirakx has quit IRC
21:34 manuq <manuq!~manuq@190.183.231.141> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:48 walterbender has quit IRC
22:12 icarito <icarito!~webchat@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:46 gepatino has quit IRC

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster