Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2011-04-10

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:22 dirakx1 <dirakx1!~rafael@190.156.115.38> has joined #sugar-meeting
01:24 icarito <icarito!~icaro@190.125.12.187> has joined #sugar-meeting
01:34 icarito has quit IRC
02:32 dogi_ <dogi_!~dogi@c-65-96-166-32.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
02:57 m_anish is now known as m_anish_afk
03:29 icarito <icarito!~icaro@190.127.71.232> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:35 icarito has quit IRC
04:04 dfarning <dfarning!~dfarning@gateway/shell/sugarlabs.org/x-mkollhopxlfqgqlv> has joined #sugar-meeting
04:16 dirakx1 has quit IRC
04:17 dirakx1 <dirakx1!~rafael@190.156.115.38> has joined #sugar-meeting
07:09 dogi_ has quit IRC
07:31 yama has quit IRC
07:31 yama` <yama`!~yama@203-217-62-231.dyn.iinet.net.au> has joined #sugar-meeting
07:31 yama` has quit IRC
07:31 yama` <yama`!~yama@ubuntu/member/yama> has joined #sugar-meeting
07:47 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
09:46 lucian <lucian!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:09 lucian_ <lucian_!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:10 lucian has quit IRC
10:12 lucian <lucian!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
10:14 lucian_ has quit IRC
11:25 lucian has quit IRC
11:45 lucian_ <lucian_!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
11:46 lucian_ is now known as lucian__
11:46 lucian__ is now known as lucian___
11:46 lucian___ is now known as lucian
11:51 lucian has quit IRC
12:03 lucian <lucian!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:07 m_anish_afk is now known as m_anish
12:20 walterbender <walterbender!~webchat@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:27 lucian_ <lucian_!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:27 lucian has quit IRC
12:41 alsroot_away <alsroot_away!~alsroot@gateway/shell/sugarlabs.org/x-wwtwxwghneygmvdl> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:41 alsroot_away has quit IRC
12:41 alsroot_away <alsroot_away!~alsroot@pdpc/supporter/active/antilopa-gnu> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:41 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
12:47 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
12:48 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
12:48 alsroot has quit IRC
12:48 alsroot <alsroot!~alsroot@gateway/shell/sugarlabs.org/x-ftpprbyvlbygmcww> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:48 alsroot has quit IRC
12:48 alsroot <alsroot!~alsroot@pdpc/supporter/active/antilopa-gnu> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:53 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
12:58 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
13:02 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
13:02 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
13:22 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
13:22 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
13:23 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
13:23 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
13:26 lucian_ has quit IRC
13:26 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
13:33 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
13:33 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
13:34 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
13:42 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
13:47 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
13:48 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
13:48 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
13:50 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
13:51 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
13:52 silbe <silbe!~silbe@twin.sascha.silbe.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:53 silbe has quit IRC
13:53 silbe <silbe!~silbe@cl-425.cgn-01.de.sixxs.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:03 walterbender hi silbe
14:05 silbe walterbender: hi!
14:09 bernie walterbender, silbe: hi
14:09 walterbender bernie: good morning...
14:10 silbe bernie: hey! Going to participate in the Design Team meeting? We're still waiting for Gary and Christian...
14:12 bernie silbe: actually, i came for the website meeting which will start in 1h, i think
14:12 silbe ah, ok :)
14:12 bernie silbe: i always lurk in the design team meetings...
14:13 silbe bernie: always a good idea :)
14:17 bernie silbe: ah, you would like this: http://googleonlinesecurity.bl[…]ate-security.html
14:17 walterbender silbe: how is the git datastore coming along?
14:18 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
14:18 bernie git datastore?
14:19 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
14:20 silbe walterbender: just passed the test suite. Next step is retrieving the metadata from disk instead of caching it in memory. Data storage + retrieval and search (Xapian index) already work as intended.
14:21 walterbender silbe: It could be very cool
14:21 silbe walterbender: run-time is about 200% of the current data store; haven't check disk space and RAM usage yet.
14:22 walterbender: don't expect too much of it - the version model used for the data store is different from traditional VCSs, so you can't use it like a regular git repository. No push or pull.
14:23 walterbender well, I'd think that we'd win in terms of stability and maintainability with a git backend
14:23 silbe also git still has issues with large objects. The impact on XO-1.5 might be limited (RAM is probably about as big as the amount of free disk space).
14:24 walterbender: that's my hope.
14:26 garycmartin <garycmartin!~garycmart@2.24.255.70> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:26 silbe bernie: oh great, another crutch for the broken CA-based system
14:26 garycmartin: hey!
14:27 garycmartin silbe: Hi, afternoon!
14:31 walterbender garycmartin: I can only stay about 30 more minutes :P
14:33 garycmartin walterbender: Hi. Ahhh, darn. Anyone seen Christian about just now?
14:33 walterbender not yet
14:33 garycmartin: maybe we can review some of the icon questions?
14:34 did you see Gonzolo's list?
14:34 garycmartin walterbender: yes, just digging up the email again now.
14:36 walterbender About icons, I think we need a agreement with:  * New items (for example Implode use the star, and the star is our icon for bookmarks) * Save to journal / export (turtle art use the transfer style icons) * View icon (the eye is used for sensors in turtle art, maybe  use the sensors icon in Measure?) * Photo / Camera / mic  icons * The lips (i am trying to use them for text to speech, but is used in Measure) * User created content (when use
14:36 garycmartin walterbender: got it.
14:36 walterbender should have used pastie
14:37 garycmartin walterbender: could take a while to grab a screenshot of every toolbar, but would be a nice resource/reference at least for what we consider core activities :-)
14:38 walterbender yes... we could divide and conquer :)
14:38 garycmartin walterbender: silbe we could start meeting now and re-visit when Christian gets here (15:00 UTC)?
14:38 walterbender just tell me the format you want
14:39 is yet again confused about time... I thought it was 15:39 UTC
14:39 so much for trusting google calendar
14:40 garycmartin walterbender: we should stick to the XO resolution, or perhaps 1024x768 to make it easier for grabbing from VMs, at least we need to pick a size.
14:40 walterbender garycmartin: either works for me...
14:40 garycmartin: and we crop to the toolbar? or show the whole image?
14:41 garycmartin walterbender: it is 15:40 for GMT+1 aka BST (me just now in the UK). UTC = GMT+00
14:41 walterbender and every toolbar in the activity?
14:41 silbe garycmartin: all fine with me
14:41 garycmartin #startmeeting
14:41 meeting Meeting started Sun Apr 10 14:41:44 2011 UTC. The chair is garycmartin. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:41 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
14:42 garycmartin OK, diving right in.
14:43 OK, so getting toolbar images for resource/reference use, need to pick a standard resolution 1200x900 or 1024x768, PNG format is good for me, screen grab of each toolbar in an activity, cropped to just show the toolbar.
14:44 walterbender +1
14:44 garycmartin A core 10 or 20 activitirities would be a good start for a reference.
14:44 walterbender how do we divy up the work?
14:45 garycmartin While we are talking toolbar icons, there are some cases where developers have used sugar-artwork icons that are in the wrong named category and designed for non toolbar placement.
14:46 sv <sv!be874490@gateway/web/freenode/ip.190.135.68.144> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:46 sv nick/ seba
14:47 garycmartin So we have some icons that are now being used for the wrong placement (notification icons used for toolbar buttons, system search being used as a toolbar button, etc).
14:48 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
14:49 sv has quit IRC
14:50 garycmartin walterbender: re: divvy up... How about it time, if you're willing ;-) you have 3 days to email me a bunch of toolbar screen grabs that you have easy access to. Then once I get your email I'll grab some more to fill in the gaps. By next meeting we can have a contact sheet to look at.
14:50 (in time)
14:50 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
14:50 walterbender garycmartin: will do
14:51 garycmartin walterbender: what res do you run your emulator at?
14:51 walterbender garycmartin: I think the root cause of the misuse is that we are lacking proper icons for common functions
14:52 garycmartin: I typically run my vm at 1024x768
14:52 garycmartin or XO res is fine if you have one to hand.
14:52 svallejo <svallejo!be874490@gateway/web/freenode/ip.190.135.68.144> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:54 garycmartin #action walterbender to grab some toolbar screen shots @ 1024x768 and email them to garycmartin mid week, who will try to fill in gaps/get more and make a contact sheet of them all for resource/reference
14:55 walterbender garycmartin: be nice to somehow correlate the buttons with their intended actions too...
14:56 garycmartin: e.g., 'new game', 'save to Journal'...
14:56 not sure it will be apparent from just looking.
14:56 but it is a start
14:57 garycmartin walterbender: re lack of proper icons, also seems a number of icons should be duplicated in sugar-artwork with different names to future proof us from design changes. I was suprised to find the Journal and Browse were all using the favourite-emblem badge for their toolbar ;-)
14:57 walterbender good point
15:00 silbe garycmartin: apropos Journal icons, did you have some time to work on the Backup / Restore ones?
15:00 SeanDaly <SeanDaly!~seandaly@92.90.16.35> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:01 garycmartin walterbender: Regarding the create/modify activity icon discussions, I've been thinking it leaks into the idea of preferences/options/config depending how flexible the create/modify features are. Example, Abacus seems more like a set of preferences for customising the abacus, where as Memorize goes much deeper in creative flexibility.
15:02 silbe: sorry, no. Some what sidelined, but I did dig out the folder with the previous work, sitting on my desktop awaiting action ;-)
15:02 walterbender garycmartin: it seems to be configure the activity (Abacus), create new content for the activity (Memorize), modify the activity itself (Turtle Art)
15:04 silbe garycmartin: thanks! It's not high priority, but I feel a bit bad about the current state of Backup / Restore. They're not as "user-friendly" as I'd like them to be. Better icons would at least make them look a tad nicer. ;)
15:05 garycmartin walterbender: I wonder which, or how many of these would fit a standard icon to use in all cases. The activity icon with a sparkle motif in one corner seems like the correct 'New content" but that would be activity specific (something to describe in the HIG, and perhaps provide a template for).
15:05 jt4sugar <jt4sugar!~AndChat@173-118-57-47.pools.spcsdns.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:05 garycmartin silbe: Agreed, I'll try and shimmy them up my todo list.
15:06 silbe garycmartin: great!
15:06 geirea <geirea!be86373c@gateway/web/freenode/ip.190.134.55.60> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:07 walterbender is not sure which icon you mean... the one that looks like the Etoy's icon? Doesn't mean much to me.
15:07 jt4sugar Hi sorry to interupt did design start at 10amest or at 11
15:07 garycmartin walterbender: can't remember if I posted a link to Memorize with the cog icon for create/modify toolbar.
15:07 #link http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/U[…]misation_features
15:08 walterbender: in that mockup, to the right of the cog is the memorize activity icon with a spark in the bottom right corner.
15:10 walterbender: I've used it in this mockup to start playing a new game, not as erase all quiz content and let me build a new set of questions, something else to worry about confusing...
15:12 jt4sugar: Hi! Sorry we started 30min early as walterbender needs to leave soon, but we can back track if needed. Officially we should have started 11min ago.
15:14 jt4sugar We were meeting after yours just hadnt heard back from Christian exact time would be 12est then-thanks
15:16 garycmartin walterbender: how do you feel about your TA/TB import and export icon use (the send to friend style design)? Gonzalo would seem to dislike re-using that metaphor.
15:16 jt4sugar has quit IRC
15:17 walterbender garycmartin: I am not married to them... but they were the best of what we had to choose from at the moment
15:17 JT_4sugar <JT_4sugar!~JT@68-242-165-77.pools.spcsdns.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:18 igod <igod!~igod@32.142.177.44> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:18 walterbender garycmartin: I have a secondary problem too: sometimes I am loading from the Journal... sometimes from the filesystem
15:18 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
15:18 igod = dogi on the phone ...
15:18 garycmartin walterbender: Oooh, what's the filesystem case? Is this to do with running in Gnome desktop?
15:19 walterbender http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:TAimport.png is an example
15:19 loading sample code
15:19 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
15:19 garycmartin walterbender: loading sample code NOT from the Journal?
15:20 walterbender yes
15:20 garycmartin tut, tut... ;-)
15:20 walterbender we never resolved that issue
15:20 silbe garycmartin: have we decided on what to do with activity-shipped example entries yet?
15:20 or distro shipped even
15:21 christianmarcsch <christianmarcsch!~christian@cpe-24-193-242-220.nyc.res.rr.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:21 garycmartin walterbender: how about considering a Journal feature that allows importing/exporting filesystem objects (would be considered an advanced feature). This way we solve it for all activities.
15:23 this goes back to discussions years back about allowing the Journal to browse the base FS.
15:23 walterbender garycmartin: I am not sure how it would work...
15:23 garycmartin: but meanwhile, I needed something for TA/TB.
15:23 garycmartin walterbender: what is your use case where the Sugar Journal is not good enough?
15:24 walterbender garycmartin: at one point I copied objects into the Journal on install, but that generated spam. Now I only copy the objects in once they have been used.
15:25 garycmartin: with TA, I'd be creating on the order of 50 new objects in your Journal that you didn't create yourself... verboden, I thought
15:25 silbe garycmartin: we already have that: the Journal view for storage media, copy-to-journal, copy-from-journal. Are you talking about showing a view for the root fs?
15:25 walterbender silbe: so the idea would be to copy the same to the Journal from some Journal interface, not from the activity itself?
15:26 garycmartin walterbender: sorry, do these icons just add the stubb python code into the Journal, or do they raise a fs browser of some kind?
15:26 christianmarcsch has quit IRC
15:26 silbe walterbender: don't know. I just listed what's already then, to get a clearer view on what garycmartin might want to do.
15:26 s/then/there/
15:26 walterbender garycmartin: I have two directories full of sample code: python customization code and sample projects
15:27 garycmartin: when you select the python icon with the arrow on the toolbar (http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:TAimport.png) you get a filesystem chooser to select Python code
15:28 once you select it, it is loaded into your program and into the Journal
15:28 same with the TA project code
15:28 garycmartin walterbender: could you net present these as a set of projects/templates within TA to choose from (like Pippy has it's side bar tree view, and Memorize has it's drop down list of sample quiz games)?
15:28 (net -> not)
15:29 walterbender garycmartin: I suppose I could, but frankly, I find those interfaces much more clumsy than a chooser.
15:29 and they don't make it any easier for customization by the end user
15:30 garycmartin another example EToys and it's startup 'pick a project or start a new one' type thing.
15:30 walterbender garycmartin: I could do something more visual, like that...
15:32 garycmartin: I'll still need a toolbar icon to invoke it :)
15:34 SeanDaly has quit IRC
15:35 garycmartin silbe: re Journal view for storage media, yes that was just the kind of flow I was thinking could work for folks who need to pull in data form non Journal workflows (nice for VM users as well). Would require a widget for getting to the 'root fs' as you put it, needs some thought not to be scary and overcomplicate the Journal UI (i.e. I'd not want to show the bottom volume bar all the time just so local volume/s could be accessed).
15:35 walterbender garycmartin: I'll have to think about it and make some sketches
15:36 garycmartin walterbender: I could go for a standard toolbar visual for invoking a gallery of demos/templates! ;-)
15:36 walterbender garycmartin: not sure why it would be so different from a local volume button along side the removeable volume buttons that appear
15:37 garycmartin: +1 to the new visual (regardless of how the activity invokes it)
15:37 garycmartin walterbender: re 'not sure why it would be so different from...' No I agree, it should not be so different, but eating that bottom area of the Journal with a tray all the time just to show root fs seems way too nerdy/hacky for 99.9 of our target users.
15:38 silbe garycmartin: we should should show it the same way we show the other file system (storage media) views. Using a secondary toolbar (at the top) instead of the bottom toolbar might be an idea if you don't want it to take up space all the time.
15:39 walterbender garycmartin: not so sure... perhaps it wouldn't be there for XO users without GNOME switching enabled, but I think most VM users would want it
15:39 dogi_ <dogi_!~dogi@c-65-96-166-32.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:40 garycmartin #action mockup some ideas on a system standard Activity toolbar visual for raising a gallery of demo/template projects (e.g TA/TB, Memorize, EToys, Abacus).
15:41 walterbender: most VM users are not our target users... They are us nerds, geeks, hackers.
15:41 dogi_ garycmartin, +1
15:41 walterbender garycmartin: not sure about that down the road... might be the way lots of kids get access... easier than SoaS
15:41 silbe garycmartin: not trying to divert the discussion, but we should think a bit more about the examples "problem" some time. I don't think any of the existing solutions (copy entries on first start, use file system chooser, show side bar) is particularly elegant. Maybe we should investigate the Action View vs. Object View split of the HIG a bit more and work on that. E.g. we'd show the individual examples in the Object View and an "added example
15:41 dogi_ and hopefully some knowledged teachers
15:42 walterbender silbe: yes... I agree that the current set of options for examples are all less than satisfactory
15:44 has to run...
15:45 silbe walterbender: cu
15:47 garycmartin silbe: the 'examples problem' would be a good one to resolve a standard for, a number of activities try to do this in different ways. If only we had a chooser that showed nice (developer selected) thumbnails of examples/projects/demos/content. I guess the other option I missed is the Record/Browse tray UI. This could make a rather nice standard way to select both Journal objects (as in Record), and locally baked in objects/data...
15:48 waves to walterbender
15:48 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
15:49 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
15:49 garycmartin silbe: did you see Christian appear and then disappear again a while back?
15:50 silbe garycmartin: an Object Chooser lookalike for in-activity use (accessing a local file system directory instead of the Journal) might be another idea, yep.
15:50 garycmartin: yes, I did. 15:21 - 15:26 UTC.
15:51 maybe he got called away?
15:51 garycmartin silbe: thanks, just worried my irc connection might have been split.
15:52 cjl <cjl!~chatzilla@c-98-204-202-184.hsd1.md.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:54 silbe garycmartin: should we finish the meeting?
15:55 garycmartin #action consider implications of allowing access to root fs via the Journal bottom tray (as is now done for external devices)
15:55 silbe: Guess so, there is another meeting next up I think.
15:56 Same time, same place next week!
15:56 silbe garycmartin: +1
15:56 garycmartin #endmeeting
15:56 meeting Meeting ended Sun Apr 10 15:56:48 2011 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
15:56 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-10T14:41:44.html
15:56 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]11-04-10T14:41:44
15:57 garycmartin Thanks silbe!
15:57 silbe garycmartin: thanks back!
15:59 SeanDaly <SeanDaly!~chatzilla@92.90.21.1> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:59 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
16:00 garycmartin has quit IRC
16:00 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
16:00 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
16:01 christianmarcsch <christianmarcsch!~christian@cpe-24-193-242-220.nyc.res.rr.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:01 geirea ready for vuelta ciclista meeting!
16:01 christianmarcsch hi everyone
16:01 geirea hi
16:02 svallejo hi
16:02 SeanDaly hi all
16:02 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
16:03 JT_4sugar Hello all-Sean can you make a log of this
16:03 SeanDaly #startmeeting
16:03 meeting Meeting started Sun Apr 10 16:03:46 2011 UTC. The chair is SeanDaly. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:03 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
16:04 JT_4sugar christianmarcsch, I believe you have read the emails can you try to lead us through to info you need
16:05 igod = dogi from the phone ...
16:05 christianmarcsch JT_4sugar: it would be great if someone could recap
16:05 igod hi all
16:05 geirea i can explain what's the setup right now
16:05 christianmarcsch geirea: thanks
16:06 geirea we had a lot of crazy ideas, but the one that has been realized so far is this:
16:07 there will be a contest of chronicle-like entries for children about how they witness the race as it passes by their cities or towns
16:07 each entry should be written like a news article with photographs
16:08 the kids send the article to an email address
16:08 we are asking for format: either text and photos as attachment, or a Write file
16:08 igod has quit IRC
16:08 silbe has quit IRC
16:08 dirakx has quit IRC
16:08 m_anish has quit IRC
16:08 dfarning has quit IRC
16:09 geirea the contest will be announced this wednesday at the kids' supplement of the main national newspaper
16:09 and volunteers will hang posters in schools around the country
16:10 the newspaper is offering some prizes like two bikes, pendrives, etc
16:10 christianmarcsch has quit IRC
16:10 geirea this is what we have so far
16:10 christianmarcsch <christianmarcsch!~christian@cpe-24-193-242-220.nyc.res.rr.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:10 christianmarcsch has quit IRC
16:10 igod <igod!~igod@32.142.177.44> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:10 silbe <silbe!~silbe@cl-425.cgn-01.de.sixxs.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:10 dfarning <dfarning!~dfarning@gateway/shell/sugarlabs.org/x-mkollhopxlfqgqlv> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:10 dirakx <dirakx!~rafael@190.156.115.38> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:10 m_anish <m_anish!~anish@gateway/shell/sugarlabs.org/x-uvbcinjdqvrsndvn> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:10 christianmarcsch <christianmarcsch!~christian@cpe-24-193-242-220.nyc.res.rr.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:10 dogi_ back on tvdesktop
16:11 christianmarcsch geriea: sounds interesting
16:11 SeanDaly so some questions looking for answers: how to filter/moderate e-mails, how to transform e-mails to e.g. blog posts (or online in another format)
16:12 geirea now the idea would be to have a website where the entries can be published
16:12 dogi_ backlog ... http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]1-04-10#i_2656401
16:12 geirea, +1
16:13 geirea we can have volunteers to review the entries before posting, but ideally we would need a tool to convert the emails to (unpublished) blog entries
16:13 christianmarcsch the thought was that we could setup a wordpress account
16:13 dogi_ geirea, is there some code already available ?
16:14 geirea we don't have much expertise in that area, but we saw a couple of wordpress plugins
16:14 dogi_ oh ...
16:14 christianmarcsch in theory, we can publish to wordpress by email
16:14 but in practice, i'm not sure whether we will need a moderation system of sorts
16:15 SeanDaly #link: http://codex.wordpress.org/Blog_by_Email
16:15 christianmarcsch: I daresay any e-mail address which will appear in a newspaper will need spam filtering at least
16:16 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: exactly
16:16 geirea one other thing: the newspaper article is already in print so we can't change what's going to be published
16:16 svallejo there's another reason to moderation, the contact data of the childrem is at the botton of the email.
16:17 christianmarcsch is there a wordpress plugin that will convert emails to *unpublished* blog entries
16:17 SeanDaly geirea: is there an URL or e-amil address in the newspaper article we need to set up quickly?
16:17 geirea christianmarcsch: +1 this is what we need
16:17 SeanDaly: the email address published is concurso@rapceibal.info
16:17 igod has quit IRC
16:18 geirea we can forward this addres to any other account
16:18 SeanDaly cf link: "Limitations: - Standard characters in the object - Plain text only"
16:18 igod <igod!~igod@32.142.177.44> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:18 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
16:19 geirea unfortunately we didn't include an url in the article so we have to publish the webpage adress by other means
16:20 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
16:20 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: i suppose someone could constantly monitor the wordpress account an delete any spam entries, though that seems backwards
16:20 SeanDaly geirea: one way to deal with that is to autoanswer received e-mail with a thank-you message which includes the URL
16:20 geirea SeanDaly: that's a good idea
16:21 SeanDaly christianmarcsh: yes, perhaps even to add missing photos since Wordpress publish by e-mail is text-only
16:21 svallejo #link http://en.support.wordpress.com/post-by-email/
16:22 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: actually i think  you can send image attachments
16:22 take a look at the "attachments" section
16:22 geirea the post-by-email link above shows images
16:23 SeanDaly ah yes the wordpress.org info is bad!
16:23 christianmarcsch but the question of moderation remains
16:24 geirea maybe moderation can be performed before sending to wordpress, directly on the mail body
16:24 scorche has quit IRC
16:24 SeanDaly Actually if e-mail arrives at address above, spam can be filtered at that point
16:24 scorche` <scorche`!~scorche@rockbox/administrator/scorche> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:24 geirea so the moderator can forward to wordpress only approved entries
16:25 christianmarcsch geirea: that makes sense
16:25 sounds like that is the solution?
16:25 SeanDaly And, Wordpress shortcodes could be automagically added e.g. status=pending for moderation
16:26 christianmarcsch ok
16:26 dogi_ is thinking about a wordpress-develVM
16:27 dogi_ has quit IRC
16:27 dogi_ <dogi_!~dogi@c-65-96-166-32.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:27 christianmarcsch so we will need to set up a wordpress account
16:27 geirea ideally wordpress can be located somewhere like vueltaciclista.sugarlabs.org/blog
16:28 dogi_ christianmarcsch, +1
16:28 or host wordpress by our self
16:28 geirea and we can make vueltaciclista.sugarlabs.org a cover page with link to the blog plus any other information we want to include
16:29 SeanDaly would be great to keep articles up after the race... kids will be proud of their work
16:32 geirea i think the idea is now well defined, how do we make it happen?
16:33 SeanDaly if we can get this together i can proceed with plan to do PR announcing Garmin-Cervelo sponsorship while spotlighting Uruguay & mentioning edeJAM
16:33 igod has quit IRC
16:33 christianmarcsch are mike and JT here?
16:34 igod <igod!~igod@32.142.177.44> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:34 christianmarcsch i was thinking they could help in setting up the wordpress account
16:36 JT_4sugar christianmarcsch, If you can send them email after meeting describing what you need from JT&Mike I'm pretty sure they could handle tomorrow
16:36 christianmarcsch JT_4sugar: great, will do
16:37 we may need to do a little customization of the template
16:37 it would be good to see what JT&Mike come up with first--
16:37 SeanDaly should there be any language consideration? Wordpress acct in Spanish..?
16:37 christianmarcsch then we could perhaps tweak it a bit if necessary
16:37 m_anish is now known as m_anish_afk
16:37 SeanDaly geirea: newspaper article coming out for sure this Wednesday?
16:38 geirea SeanDaly: almost sure it is on wednesday, let me confirm this
16:40 dfarning is now known as dfarning_afk
16:40 geirea SeanDaly: yes, Revista El Escolar, Diario El País, the supplement is included with wednesday newspaper
16:40 svallejo i think our deadline is when the "vuelta ciclista" starts
16:41 SeanDaly remind me name of newspaper? I need to decided whether to time PR for same day or not
16:41 dogi_ geirea, is there possibility to add google-analytics to the wordpress ... or are there other user monitoring tools
16:41 geirea newspaper = Diario El País
16:42 SeanDaly #link: http://en.support.wordpress.co[…]-existing-domain/
16:42 JT_4sugar christianmarcsch, To help JT&Mike if they are having set up issues working with Sugar Labs site will you cc Bernie and Dogi so they can assist if needed
16:42 geirea dogi_: i guess any tool can be added, but i'm no expert on the issue
16:42 dogi_ would like to find out if we can distinguish parents children and teacher by surf profile
16:43 JT_4sugar, thx
16:44 geirea we would need to know if the domain vueltaciclista.sugarlabs.org will be used so we can publish this and help spreading the word
16:44 SeanDaly link: http://en.support.wordpress.com/stats/
16:44 geirea also, please take into account that the site can include things other than the blog, for example walter's odometer setup using the xo and other things
16:45 (however, all that would be additional work)
16:45 SeanDaly JT_4sugar: if JT & Mike have setup issue related to paid feature I can assist with that
16:45 christianmarcsch so, quick question: can someone remind me of the start date?
16:46 svallejo wednesday published, friday the "vuelta ciclista" starts
16:46 christianmarcsch svallejo: thanks
16:47 geirea race webpage: http://www.federacionciclistauruguaya.com.uy/
16:47 SeanDaly http://www.federacionciclistauruguaya.com.uy/
16:48 svallejo #link http://www.federacionciclistau[…]VCU11-Etapa1.html
16:48 m_anish_afk is now known as m_anish
16:49 SeanDaly geirea, svallejo: would you or others be able to help with PR translation to Spanish?
16:49 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
16:49 geirea SeanDaly: yes, no problem
16:50 svallejo si, con gusto.
16:50 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
16:51 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
16:52 SeanDaly ideally we could have English PR done by tomorrow night; if so, we could put it on the wire Friday morning for race start. Wed or Thurs possible too, but each day sooner is $100 more for me
16:52 icarito <icarito!~icaro@190.126.65.41> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:52 SeanDaly i will need to liaise with Garmin-Cervelo for quote
16:53 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
16:53 SeanDaly and will need a quote about how contest winners will be announced at eduJAM
16:55 geirea SeanDaly: somehow El País, RAP Ceibal, ceibalJAM! should appear in the PR too
16:55 SeanDaly dogi,alsroot: it's vital to know if we can communicate URL vueltaciclista.sugarlabs.org and ideally, sugarlabs.org/vueltaciclista with redirect to former
16:56 geirea SeanDaly: regarding eduJAM we can provide what is needed, basically the idea is to give prizes to the winners at the closing of the event, something brief
16:57 SeanDaly geirea: yes doable this is spotlight on UY ;-) we want to show how countries appropriate OLPC/Sugar
16:58 geirea SeanDaly: great!
16:58 SeanDaly will also liaise with Giulia at OLPC she is now handling day-to-day PR taking over from Jackie
16:59 alsroot SeanDaly: yup, it is possible to have vueltaciclista.sugarlabs.org that redirects to http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Vuelta_a_Uruguay
17:01 geirea alsroot: we need something more polished with a link to the blog
17:01 SeanDaly alsroot: actually needs to redirect to public wordpress blog site, not wiki page
17:02 (this site doesn't exist yet)
17:02 alsroot SeanDaly: redirect to wordpress blog site is also possible
17:03 SeanDaly I ask because when PR is submitted for PR Newswire several days in advance (hundreds of $$ less), text cannot be changed at last minute without $$ penalty
17:03 geirea ideally i would like the site to include some of the information in the wiki, but written for kids
17:03 walterbender_ <walterbender_!~webchat@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:04 alsroot cant help much w/ content related case
17:04 SeanDaly geirea: if I understand correctly, possible to dress up wordpress page with brief intro explanation & we could also link to wiki
17:04 geirea SeanDaly: this would be excellent
17:04 walterbender_ hi SeanDaly, geirea
17:04 geirea hi walterbender_
17:05 walterbender_ SeanDaly: we need to get the publisist from Slipstream into the loop
17:05 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
17:05 svallejo sorry, i have to quit. i have to cook a "asado" for my family. i you need i cant translate PR. when you come to uruguay i could cook an asado for you.
17:05 bye
17:05 geirea bye svallejo
17:06 SeanDaly bye svallejo
17:06 christianmarcsch bye svallejo
17:06 svallejo has quit IRC
17:06 SeanDaly walterbender_: yes ^^
17:07 dogi_ likes the t-shirts ... http://www.velonation.com/News[…]eam-for-2011.aspx
17:07 SeanDaly they have been extremely generous by embiggening our logo max
17:08 walterbender_ SeanDaly: we wanted some room on the side of the short too :P
17:08 ^short^shirt
17:08 JT_4sugar SeanDaly, Can you layout for Mike&JT how set up needs to be for wordpress-wording of links, redirects, etc. so works in PR and info gets relayed to alsroot,bernie, or Dogi to make links
17:09 christianmarcsch have to say, the logo looks pretty good there :)
17:09 SeanDaly walterbender_: it's already great exposure, we just need to counteract possible impression we are fancy funded startup :D
17:11 JT_4sugar: sorry I have no idea how redirects work technically depends on our hosting setup... question for infra team members... for PR what is important is to communicate correct URL & e-mail... nothing worse than nonfunctioning URL/e-mail the day PR is picked up
17:11 walterbender_ christianmarcsch: I was thinking of making a plaid logo for them :P
17:11 christianmarcsch walterbender: hah!
17:13 geirea JT_4sugar: the wordpress entries will be in Spanish and most of the readers will be Spanish-speaking
17:14 SeanDaly needs to compile journalist contacts for bike sites/magazines
17:15 bernie lurks
17:15 dogi_ SeanDaly, +1
17:15 SeanDaly, can you write a list of to be checked mails and urls ...
17:15 JT_4sugar SeanDaly, OK will just work to facilitate JT&Mike with Sugar Infra team to get in place-Christian has sent out email so will follow up till get right
17:16 dogi_ and send this too systems@lists.sugarlabs.org
17:16 hi bernie
17:16 SeanDaly dogi_: yes, vueltaciclista.sugarlabs.org and ideally, sugarlabs.org/vueltaciclista with redirect to former
17:17 dogi_ SeanDaly, sure :) ... CC: systems@lists.sugarlabs.org
17:17 bernie waves
17:19 dogi_: will you be able to do all the setup work mostly independently? i've got only today to work on it, and i've already planned to spend the afternoon outside (as you know :-)
17:19 geirea i have to go, please keep us informed, we need to understand the workflow for moderating and publishing the entries
17:20 SeanDaly dogi: just sent mail thanks
17:20 greets bernie
17:20 dogi_: so is idea to self-host Wordpress blog? another way better? JT & Mike will be setting up account tomorrow
17:20 JT_4sugar SeanDaly, If you can send JT&Mike log of meeting to read and deadline for link info you would need for PR that would be great
17:20 geirea thank you all and bye!
17:20 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
17:20 christianmarcsch has quit IRC
17:20 JT_4sugar geirea, Thanks so much!
17:21 geirea has quit IRC
17:21 SeanDaly ok will do thank you all! and John for seeing through meeting time ;-)
17:21 dogi_ SeanDaly, :) we could but so shortterm wordpress is maybe better
17:21 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
17:21 JT_4sugar Thanks everyone we look to be in good shape
17:22 dogi_ bernie, hope so ...
17:22 SeanDaly dogi_: simplest=best I think considering short timeframe... I will always hesitate before volunteering infra for work :D:D
17:23 dogi_ cares more about having future www hosted on our own infrastrucure
17:23 +t
17:24 JT_4sugar SeanDaly, Mention in email to JT&Mike set-up for wordpress default for Spanish-Is that correct?
17:25 SeanDaly JT_4sugar: yes this is why I asked about language considerations; we will likely want to be able to hand off acct admin to geirea or svallejo, etc.
17:28 JT_4sugar SeanDaly, If you can just describe what you think workflow and time constraints are then I will follow up to push through
17:30 CanoeBerry <CanoeBerry!CanoeBerry@d5rmxxf1.media.mit.edu> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:30 SeanDaly I see workflow as follows: mails come to concurso@rapceibal.info, triage by geirea/svallejo/others, they forward to "secret" wordpress e-mail which publishes. But they also have admin to wordpress to adjust/depublish as necessary
17:32 vueltaciclista.sugarlabs.org (and sugarlabs.org/vueltaciclista which will redirect to it) will land on the blog page, hosted probably on Wordpress for now. This page will briefly describe project and link to wiki. Question is, do we feel need for a "front" page before blog?
17:33 igod has quit IRC
17:34 SeanDaly for PR time constraint is deadline tomorrow 6pm EST for Friday morning wire; this is short to liaise with Slipstream/Garmin-Cervelo and OLPC but will get on that tonight already
17:34 needs to go soon..
17:36 JT_4sugar Ok let us know what you can and will go from there
17:36 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
17:37 SeanDaly will mail to JT & Mike now... they need to tell us ASAP if they encounter problems in setup
17:37 cjb has quit IRC
17:37 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
17:37 SeanDaly ok anything else?
17:38 JT_4sugar Sounds good Thanks
17:38 SeanDaly ok will countdown now
17:38 going once
17:40 gong twice
17:41 #endmeeting
17:41 meeting Meeting ended Sun Apr 10 17:41:09 2011 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
17:41 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-10T16:03:46.html
17:41 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]11-04-10T16:03:46
17:41 dogi_ ciao
17:42 cjb <cjb!~cjb@pullcord.laptop.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:43 SeanDaly bye dogi_ & thanks
17:43 JT_4sugar Thanks All
17:43 JT_4sugar has quit IRC
17:50 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
17:51 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
17:51 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
17:52 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
17:53 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
17:53 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
18:05 alsroot has quit IRC
18:07 SeanDaly has quit IRC
18:07 alsroot_away <alsroot_away!~alsroot@94.137.229.183> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:07 alsroot_away has quit IRC
18:07 alsroot_away <alsroot_away!~alsroot@pdpc/supporter/active/antilopa-gnu> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:13 m_anish has quit IRC
18:13 dfarning_afk has quit IRC
18:13 bernie has quit IRC
18:13 manusheel_afk has quit IRC
18:13 manusheel_afk <manusheel_afk!~manusheel@gateway/shell/sugarlabs.org/x-hduokyagpxecfuub> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:13 dfarning_afk <dfarning_afk!~dfarning@gateway/shell/sugarlabs.org/x-asfkrfqidxmktjnt> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:13 m_anish_afk <m_anish_afk!~anish@gateway/shell/sugarlabs.org/x-bknbefyntlxbiypj> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:13 bernie <bernie!~bernie@gateway/shell/sugarlabs.org/x-asvsytsxhmkkfvyo> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:13 m_anish_afk is now known as m_anish
18:17 alsroot_away has quit IRC
18:21 cjl has quit IRC
18:22 cjl <cjl!~chatzilla@c-98-204-202-184.hsd1.md.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:23 alsroot_away <alsroot_away!~alsroot@94.137.229.183> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:23 alsroot_away has quit IRC
18:23 alsroot_away <alsroot_away!~alsroot@pdpc/supporter/active/antilopa-gnu> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:24 alsroot_away has quit IRC
18:24 alsroot_away <alsroot_away!~alsroot@94.137.229.183> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:24 alsroot_away has quit IRC
18:24 alsroot_away <alsroot_away!~alsroot@pdpc/supporter/active/antilopa-gnu> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:24 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
18:25 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
18:25 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
18:37 walterbender_ has quit IRC
19:11 lucian <lucian!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:13 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
19:13 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
19:15 icarito has quit IRC
19:18 alsroot has quit IRC
19:18 alsroot_away <alsroot_away!~alsroot@94.137.229.183> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:18 alsroot_away has quit IRC
19:18 alsroot_away <alsroot_away!~alsroot@pdpc/supporter/active/antilopa-gnu> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:19 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
19:54 lucian has quit IRC
19:55 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
20:11 alsroot_away is now known as alsroot
20:15 SeanDaly <SeanDaly!~chatzilla@92.90.21.8> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:33 SeanDaly has quit IRC
20:34 mchua is now known as mchua_afk
21:01 alsroot is now known as alsroot_away
21:40 silbe has quit IRC
21:46 m_anish is now known as m_anish_afk
21:47 m_anish_afk is now known as m_anish
22:01 yama <yama!~yama@124-169-133-152.dyn.iinet.net.au> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:01 yama has quit IRC
22:01 yama <yama!~yama@ubuntu/member/yama> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:04 yama` has quit IRC
22:20 mchua_afk is now known as mchua
22:25 tabs <tabs!~Tabitha@202.50.208.16> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:26 tabs has quit IRC
22:57 egbutter <egbutter!~egbutter@c-24-23-245-41.hsd1.ca.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:57 egbutter has left #sugar-meeting
22:57 egbutter <egbutter!~egbutter@c-24-23-245-41.hsd1.ca.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
22:58 egbutter has left #sugar-meeting

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster