Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2011-03-29

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:03 lucian_ has quit IRC
01:14 dirakx has quit IRC
01:32 tch has quit IRC
01:33 tch <tch!~tch@> has joined #sugar-meeting
01:50 pflores has quit IRC
02:07 pflores <pflores!~pflores@r186-48-6-169.dialup.adsl.anteldata.net.uy> has joined #sugar-meeting
02:08 icarito <icarito!~icaro@> has joined #sugar-meeting
02:13 icarito has quit IRC
02:17 m_anish is now known as m_anish_afk
02:29 icarito <icarito!~icaro@> has joined #sugar-meeting
02:30 m_anish_afk is now known as m_anish
03:06 satellit_afk has quit IRC
03:06 manusheel_afk has quit IRC
03:06 tch has quit IRC
03:06 pflores has quit IRC
03:06 cjb has quit IRC
03:06 marcopg has quit IRC
03:06 valhalla has quit IRC
03:06 dfarning_afk has quit IRC
03:06 m_anish has quit IRC
03:06 pbrobinson_ has quit IRC
03:06 bernie has quit IRC
03:06 aa has quit IRC
03:06 icarito has quit IRC
03:06 mtd has quit IRC
03:06 mchua_afk has quit IRC
03:06 mk8 has quit IRC
03:06 [scs]_ has quit IRC
03:14 marcopg <marcopg!~marcopg@> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:18 icarito <icarito!~icaro@> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:18 valhalla <valhalla!~valhalla@81-174-24-102.dynamic.ngi.it> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:18 dfarning_afk <dfarning_afk!~dfarning@gateway/shell/sugarlabs.org/x-prsngsnrdhnyimjw> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:18 m_anish <m_anish!~anish@gateway/shell/sugarlabs.org/x-wboowdfzcvgujleb> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:18 pbrobinson_ <pbrobinson_!~pbrobinso@2001:41d0:2:923e::> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:18 bernie <bernie!~bernie@gateway/shell/sugarlabs.org/x-xeujycotufxhvloh> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:18 meeting * pflores-es has joined
03:19 pflores <pflores!~pflores@r186-48-6-169.dialup.adsl.anteldata.net.uy> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:19 mtd <mtd!~martin@chop.xades.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:19 mchua <mchua!mchua@gateway/shell/sugarlabs.org/x-duzweluskdntvxec> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:19 tch <tch!~tch@> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:20 satellit_afk <satellit_afk!~satellit@2002:d064:94dc:0:219:d1ff:fe73:14e6> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:20 manusheel_afk <manusheel_afk!~manusheel@gateway/shell/sugarlabs.org/x-mtzxfrmedcwfrqwo> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:20 aa__ <aa__!aa@gateway/shell/sugarlabs.org/x-jqqpbuhgteifzoly> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:20 cjb <cjb!~cjb@pullcord.laptop.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:20 mk8 <mk8!~torello@ip-212-141.sn1.eutelia.it> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:20 [scs]_ <[scs]_!~scs@zatoichi.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:20 meeting * aa__-es has joined
03:27 tch has quit IRC
03:27 pflores has quit IRC
04:36 mchua is now known as mchua_afk
04:49 aa__ is now known as aa
05:54 icarito has quit IRC
06:31 yama` <yama`!~yama@124-171-5-232.dyn.iinet.net.au> has joined #sugar-meeting
06:31 yama` has quit IRC
06:31 yama` <yama`!~yama@ubuntu/member/yama> has joined #sugar-meeting
06:33 yama has quit IRC
11:26 lucian <lucian!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:06 walterbender <walterbender!~webchat@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:29 lucian_ <lucian_!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:33 lucian has quit IRC
13:33 m_anish is now known as m_anish_afk
13:34 lucian <lucian!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:35 lucian_ has quit IRC
13:44 mchua_afk is now known as mchua
13:55 garycmartin <garycmartin!~garycmart@> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:58 JT4sugar <JT4sugar!JT@d192-24-250-129.try.wideopenwest.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:59 SeanDaly <SeanDaly!~chatzilla@> has joined #sugar-meeting
13:59 garycmartin has quit IRC
14:00 dogi has quit IRC
14:09 walterbender has quit IRC
14:10 garycmartin_ <garycmartin_!~garycmart@> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:13 garycmartin_ SeanDaly: ping, hi internet connection has been a bit flakey here.
14:14 SeanDaly hi garycmartin ready in several mins :-)
14:14 garycmartin_ :-)
14:16 SeanDaly #startmeeting
14:16 meeting Meeting started Tue Mar 29 14:16:49 2011 UTC. The chair is SeanDaly. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:16 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
14:16 walterbender <walterbender!~webchat@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:17 walterbender SeanDaly: hi
14:17 SeanDaly greets walterbender
14:17 JT4sugar ?
14:17 walterbender keeps getting dropped on IRC :P
14:17 JT4sugar Hi
14:17 walterbender hi JT4sugar
14:17 garycmartin_ Hi walterbender JT4sugar, IRC is flakey here as well.
14:18 walterbender SeanDaly: sorry about the flurry of confused emails of late re press releases
14:18 SeanDaly my IRC not flaky but I may be called away for several minutes for a delivery
14:18 walterbender: I dreamed last night you briefed me.. at a party in Moscow... and I had a 4th kid
14:18 talk about mixing genres
14:19 walterbender :)
14:19 SeanDaly walterbender: before talking websites, could you recap a little PR things, or is later better?
14:20 walterbender SeanDaly: let me not derail the rest of the meeting
14:20 satellit_afk lurking
14:20 SeanDaly walterbender:ok
14:20 satellit_afk is now known as satellit_
14:20 SeanDaly greets satellit_afk
14:20 greets satellit_ too
14:20 satellit_ : )
14:21 SeanDaly ok let's talk websites then
14:21 first main site revamp
14:22 TuquitosugarVM <TuquitosugarVM!~urk@208-100-148-220.bendbroadband.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:22 SeanDaly Christian and the RIT students had a workshop ten days ago in NYC
14:23 Christian prepared a first draft document from their whiteboard and briefed JT4sugar & I on a conf call this morning
14:23 I will put that PDF up on the wiki asap today
14:23 walterbender looks forward to seeing it
14:23 SeanDaly as well as the rev Christian will do following this morning's discussion
14:24 They are doing great work, have conceptualized site layout -> but not pages per se
14:24 Clear that we will need to locate/generate content - visuals etc., screencam tutorials, ...
14:25 JT4sugar: anything to add?
14:25 JT4sugar Just sent out workshop summary to group
14:26 Per Christian key to success is gathering of content
14:27 SeanDaly When we have it up on the wiki I would like to add request for comment to whole Sugar community
14:28 quite important: key target is teachers, following MarketLab study results
14:28 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Good idea to synch with JT&Mike they are planning wiki page to collect content and emails to ask for content
14:28 SeanDaly JT4sugar: yes of course you had told me that
14:29 now, about timeframe, JT4sugar did we say in time for SugarCamp beginning of May?
14:30 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Idea have Micro-site ready for race then mock-ups or test site to get comments and suggestions at Uruguay summit go live few weeks later
14:31 SeanDaly JT4sugar: Yes, clearly race is hard deadline
14:32 I haven't liaised with Garmin-Cervelo PR person yet, wanted more concrete idea of what we are going to do
14:32 idea from Uruguay to have kids photograph riders, and OLPC/Sugar stands at each stop, sounds great
14:32 who was contact for that again?
14:33 Gabriel Eirea I think
14:33 walterbender yes
14:34 SeanDaly and Leticia Romero
14:34 walterbender si
14:34 SeanDaly hopes they speak English or French since I have no Spanish :-(
14:34 walterbender gabriel speaks English
14:35 SeanDaly Gabriel had mentioned a Sugar Labs prize to give out to a lucky kid (or kids)... any ideas?
14:36 walterbender I was going to ask Slipstream for some jerseys
14:36 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Should contact Garmin-Cervelo about possible prizes for kids(Jerseys) Help in funding for van of Ceibal RAP Volunteers?
14:36 SeanDaly walterbender: that would be great
14:36 JT4sugar: yes we can go to them now that there is a proposal
14:37 wonders if they have jerseys in kid sizes
14:37 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Should be enough time for them to have made if don't
14:37 SeanDaly by the way on the side topic of swag which jerseys remind me of, garycmartin is 100% right we should get merchandising going
14:38 satellit_ the jerseys would be nice to be able to purchase for sugar supporters to use to promote sugar also
14:38 SeanDaly I had planned on recruiting a design class prof+students to help with that but didn't get around to it
14:39 would love to see a t-shirt for each of our star Activities
14:39 garycmartin_ SeanDaly: merchandising seems to not yet be on the www mockups (I just skimmed the pdf)
14:40 SeanDaly garycmartin: True, because swag not happening yet... really not that hard to get going but I had gotten stuck with choice of 7 online providers for US/Europe/worldwide shipping
14:41 walterbender maybe swag is a local-lab thing
14:42 SeanDaly walterbender: no problem as long as certain marketing codes followed ; e.g. not mixing our trademark with others e.g. "sugarlabs powered by AMI BIOS"
14:42 satellit_ swag from e-bay online store?
14:42 garycmartin_ We should pull together as set of templates for swag that folks can either print locally, or order through something more official.
14:42 JT4sugar garycmartin_, Could Icons you have made up easily be screened on to t-shirts? Or does the formatting need to be changed?
14:43 SeanDaly satellit_: Cafepress? Spreadshirt? Zazzle? Printfection? VistaPrint?
14:43 garycmartin_ JT4sugar: They should work just great.
14:43 SeanDaly SVGs blowuppable to huge ;-)
14:43 embiggenable
14:44 garycmartin_ JT4sugar: I made a set of mockups with one activity icon in the centre and then the activity name in each language around the edges.
14:44 SeanDaly old thread on this FWIW: http://lists.sugarlabs.org/arc[…]9-May/001108.html
14:45 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Can we have templates on multiple sites so we get over location shipping-US, Europe,Asia,South America, etc.
14:45 garycmartin_ Plenty of designs we can play with givem all the Sugar artwork and consistent design style.
14:45 SeanDaly garycmartin: on back of shirt could say: a sugarlabs activity"
14:45 satellit_ include wiki link on swag for exposure
14:45 garycmartin_ SeanDaly: yep +1
14:45 SeanDaly JT4sugar: indeed I had imagined multiple vendors to deal with shipping problem; but I understand quality varies and is not always great...
14:47 another solution: propose ready-to-go graphics which local labs could get t-shirts done with
14:47 I really like idea of Activity name in different languages
14:47 garycmartin_ SeanDaly: Perhaps just pick 2 vendors, and make sure the originals are available for folks to get printed locally.
14:48 SeanDaly garycmartin: +1
14:48 ok here's a question re Uruguay race micro-site
14:48 satellit_ I like ready to go graphics...also for bike jerseys?
14:48 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Have friends that use Cafepress so know thats good for U.S.-Finding good vendors also good for marketing class project you envision
14:49 SeanDaly if site content will be articles & photos by kids, Christian suggests using existing infra such as flickr
14:49 JT4sugar: yes I will hunt down that professor shortlist I had
14:50 If articles uploaded to existing outside site, our micro-site could just be one page with embedded links to content?
14:50 in other words Christian worried about building/reinventing wheel for micro-site which will have limited shelf life
14:51 walterbender sounds simple which is good
14:51 SeanDaly other approach as Gabriel suggested I think would be to publish thru an Activity - do we have one which can do that? Portfolio?
14:51 garycmartin_ SeanDaly: Makes sense for photo/video type media (flickr/youtube/dailymotion), but not sure about article page texts.
14:51 SeanDaly garycmartin: good point
14:52 JT4sugar Christian thinking of some kind of template for micro-site that could extend to future events-future bike race stops-other events
14:52 walterbender won't go on a rsant about the need for an upload site
14:53 SeanDaly walterbender: upload site on Christian radar...
14:53 garycmartin_ walterbender: Use some existing CMS?
14:53 walterbender authentification/authorization is the difficult bit
14:53 no need to discuss it here/now
14:53 SeanDaly garcmartin_: Christian not sure yet, but leaning towards Ruby on Rails
14:53 JT4sugar walterbender, That was discussed with JT & Mike. Gerald said we should have something like Scratch site for kids uploads-they are looking into
14:54 garycmartin_ wonders why the wiki is not right for such a user end goal.
14:54 walterbender JT4sugar: for any activity that want it...
14:55 SeanDaly cf. garycmartin_, why not create Spanish wiki race page on wiki for articles?
14:55 downside?
14:56 garycmartin_ "for any activity that want it", likes the sound of that. A public drop box for Journal entries.
14:56 JT4sugar walterbender, Not sure yet but Gerald feels missed opportunity to not have portal for kids to engage about their work with Sugar-Needs some discussion
14:57 SeanDaly it's true that a kid-oriented friendly space would be great...
14:57 walterbender JT4sugar: he and I have been on that same page for a long time
14:57 SeanDaly cf. http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/
14:58 or, http://www.sesamestreet.org/
15:00 garycmartin_ SeanDaly: Back to an online Sugar like experience (could be a much paired down spin on the Sugar design goals).
15:01 TuquitosugarVM has quit IRC
15:01 SeanDaly so concretely, for UY race micro-site: would it work to have kids (or their teachers) post articles to wiki?
15:01 garycmartin: yes indeed :D
15:05 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Seems like a blog might be better format that way content would be sequential to stops along the way. Chance teachers and kids understand use of blogs better than wiki-Allows text and pictures
15:06 SeanDaly JT4sugar: probably best to ask Gabriel & Leticia handle that then; but we need to know in order to design front page... might be better to "planetize" blog postings so URL stays Sugar Labs?
15:07 see, idea is to communicate an URL in the PR for the race, e.g. vueltaciclista.sugarlabs.org
15:08 satellit_ could a special upload link on sugar-browse be created to allow kids to upload files to the wiki on a particular page. I notice that the "upload file"link in using the wiki is missing on sugar-browse but is available if firefox is used to access the wiki
15:09 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Good question-but if there is a ton of kids and teachers who decide to contribute do we want to overload planet with this content?
15:09 SeanDaly JT4sugar: idea is to dedicate a little planet just for that
15:09 and best articles get prizes
15:09 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Sounds good
15:10 SeanDaly advantage of micro-planet is, hosted wherever Gabriel & Leticia want, even multiple blogs, while maintaining SL URL
15:11 Kids will likely want to look at their articles after race too :-)
15:11 if I'm not mistaken this wouldn't be a lot of work on our side...
15:12 JT4sugar SeanDaly, If that is set-up you could have Blog for each locale they stop/go through which feed into Sugar micro-planet
15:13 SeanDaly JT4sugar: we need to brainstorm with Gabriel & Leticia
15:14 needs to sign off soon...
15:15 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Sounds good just need to ask if they prefer IRC or Skype for brainstorm
15:15 garycmartin_ me too.
15:15 SeanDaly JT4sugar: do you want to ask them when & how, or shall I?
15:16 JT4sugar SeanDaly, If you could that would be great-I think your schedule is one will need to work around so you might suggest some times
15:17 SeanDaly JT4sugar: OK will do
15:17 any other topics for now?
15:18 JT4sugar Think were good-Thanks!
15:18 SeanDaly Many thanks JT4sugar, walterbender, garycmartin_, satellit_
15:18 counting down....
15:18 going once...
15:19 garycmartin_ SeanDaly: Thanks, good productive meeting :-)
15:19 SeanDaly going twice...
15:19 JT4sugar Have A Good Day All!
15:20 SeanDaly sold to the gentleman in the plaid golf suit
15:20 #endmeeting
15:20 meeting Meeting ended Tue Mar 29 15:20:20 2011 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
15:20 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-29T14:16:49.html
15:20 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]11-03-29T14:16:49
15:20 satellit_ SeanDaly: take a look at http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit  I have tried to make it more teacher friendly....
15:21 garycmartin_ has quit IRC
15:22 SeanDaly hey satellit_ that page is better all the time
15:22 satellit_ trying to follow your guidelines
15:24 SeanDaly satellit_: we should make a download pancake button for the Kit
15:25 SeanDaly has quit IRC
15:25 satellit_ will lok into it.....the online version section is a nice index to sugar for teachers
15:29 lucian has quit IRC
15:30 lucian <lucian!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:48 JT4sugar has quit IRC
16:01 dogi <dogi!~nemo@c-65-96-166-32.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:06 dirakx <dirakx!rafael@> has joined #sugar-meeting
16:19 mchua is now known as mchua_afk
16:49 satellit_ is now known as satellit_afk
17:25 meeting * ClaudiaU-es has joined
17:25 ClaudiaU <ClaudiaU!~ClaudiaU@w91tmp1.laptop.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:26 FranXOphonie <FranXOphonie!~FranXOpho@> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:26 mchua_afk is now known as mchua
18:44 dirakx has quit IRC
18:48 mchua is now known as mchua_afk
19:58 mchua_afk is now known as mchua
20:33 tch <tch!~tch@> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:38 lucian has quit IRC
20:42 walterbender has quit IRC
20:43 lucian_ <lucian_!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:55 SeanDaly <SeanDaly!~chatzilla@> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:55 SeanDaly has quit IRC
21:01 yama <yama!~yama@124-168-10-147.dyn.iinet.net.au> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:01 yama has quit IRC
21:01 yama <yama!~yama@ubuntu/member/yama> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:04 yama` has quit IRC
21:04 lucian_ has quit IRC
21:23 mchua is now known as mchua_afk
22:03 dirakx <dirakx!rafael@> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:00 dogi has quit IRC
23:04 FranXOphonie has quit IRC
23:05 dogi <dogi!~nemo@c-65-96-166-32.hsd1.ma.comcast.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:18 icarito <icarito!~icaro@> has joined #sugar-meeting
23:20 dirakx has quit IRC

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.