Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2011-03-20

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:12 lucian has quit IRC
00:50 lucian <lucian!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
01:02 m_anish is now known as m_anish_afk
01:27 icarito has quit IRC
02:34 dogi <dogi!~nemo@pool-71-102-31-69.plspca.dsl-w.verizon.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
03:03 lucian has quit IRC
03:53 dirakx has quit IRC
04:09 dirakx <dirakx!rafael@190.156.115.38> has joined #sugar-meeting
05:14 dfarning is now known as dfarning_afk
06:34 yama` has quit IRC
06:34 yama <yama!~yama@124-168-155-210.dyn.iinet.net.au> has joined #sugar-meeting
06:34 yama has quit IRC
06:34 yama <yama!~yama@ubuntu/member/yama> has joined #sugar-meeting
07:11 meeting <meeting!~sugaroid@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
07:53 tch has left #sugar-meeting
10:57 dogi has quit IRC
11:49 satellit_afk is now known as satellit_
12:05 silbe <silbe!~silbe@twin.sascha.silbe.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:12 m_anish_afk is now known as m_anish
12:51 lucian <lucian!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:52 walterbender <walterbender!~webchat@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
12:56 m_anish is now known as m_anish_afk
12:57 satellit_ walterbender: I have been editing the sugar creation kit page take a look when you have a minute...: ) Trying to make it mor user friendly
12:57 s/more
13:25 silbe has quit IRC
13:39 walterbender hi
13:39 satellit_: I'll take a look
14:06 christianmarcsch <christianmarcsch!~christian@cpe-24-193-242-220.nyc.res.rr.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:06 christianmarcsch hi everyone
14:06 walterbender hi christianmarcsch
14:07 christianmarcsch: sorry I couldn't join the call oin Friday
14:07 christianmarcsch walterbender: hi! no worries. it was a good meeting, and thanks again for organizing the space.
14:07 walterbender np
14:07 christianmarcsch walterbender: i'm still working on a summary, that i hope to send out today.
14:07 silbe <silbe!~silbe@cl-425.cgn-01.de.sixxs.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:08 christianmarcsch hi silbe
14:09 silbe christianmarcsch: hi! isn't the meeting scheduled for 15 UTC?
14:09 christianmarcsch silbe: let me see... is that in one hour?
14:09 silbe christianmarcsch: yup
14:09 christianmarcsch silbe: ah i see. i can't make that time unfortunately today...
14:10 silbe christianmarcsch: ok. what other time would suit you?
14:10 christianmarcsch silbe: could we postpone to later in the afternoon?
14:10 silbe: around 2pm EST would be good
14:10 walterbender that is four hours from now :P
14:10 what about gary?
14:11 silbe ok, so 18UTC. would work fine for me.
14:11 christianmarcsch i could send a note out to gary
14:11 i guess that would be 19:00 UTC...?
14:12 slibe: 18:00 UTC, ok. where do you do the conversion btw?
14:12 silbe yeah, date says 14 EST is 19 UTC, so in about 4-5h
14:12 christianmarcsch silbe: oh
14:13 silbe christianmarcsch: date -d '14:00' -u
14:13 (for converting 14:00 local time to UTC)
14:13 christianmarcsch silbe: thanks, that's helpful
14:14 silbe christianmarcsch: for converting random time zones you can use: date -d '20:00 CET' (to local time) resp. date -d '20:00 CET' -u (to UTC)
14:15 christianmarcsch silbe: it doesn't seem to work on OSX terminal, but that's ok
14:15 silbe I just always have problems figuring out the right time zone (because of DST), that's why I ask for UTC :)
14:15 christianmarcsch silbe: i'll figure it out :)
14:15 silbe: yes, i know...
14:16 silbe christianmarcsch: maybe Mac OS X has GNU date installed as gdate, like they do with GNU make IIRC?
14:16 christianmarcsch ok, i will send out a note and then hopefully see you back here at 19 UTC?
14:16 silbe christianmarcsch: sounds good to me. let's hope gary can make it.
14:16 christianmarcsch silbe: yes, i hope so
14:17 christianmarcsch has quit IRC
14:20 silbe has quit IRC
14:48 garycmartin <garycmartin!~garycmart@78.150.245.81> has joined #sugar-meeting
14:50 dogi <dogi!~nemo@pool-71-102-31-69.plspca.dsl-w.verizon.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
15:04 garycmartin Any one here for the design meeting? Christian emailed that he can't make 15:00UTC, but will make it for 19:00UTC, if that time is OK for others we can hold off until then.
15:05 Happy to cover some items now if someone can't make it later.
15:20 satellit_ is now known as satellit_afk
16:28 dogi has quit IRC
16:31 dogi <dogi!~nemo@pool-71-102-31-69.plspca.dsl-w.verizon.net> has joined #sugar-meeting
17:15 walterbender hey gary. I suppose we are starting up again in ~45 minutes
18:11 christianmarcsch <christianmarcsch!~christian@cpe-24-193-242-220.nyc.res.rr.com> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:11 christianmarcsch hi
18:26 silbe <silbe!~silbe@twin.sascha.silbe.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
18:27 christianmarcsch hi silbe
18:30 silbe christianmarcsch: hi!
18:31 christianmarcsch silbe: i wasn't sure if this was still happening!
18:31 silbe christianmarcsch: it is, but it's not 19 UTC yet :)
18:31 christianmarcsch silbe: ???
18:31 silbe: it's 2:30 EST
18:32 silbe that's very strange
18:32 christianmarcsch silbe: indeed!
18:32 silbe sascha.silbe@twin:~$ date -d '14:30 EST'
18:32 Sun Mar 20 20:30:00 CET 2011
18:32 sascha.silbe@twin:~$ date
18:32 Sun Mar 20 19:32:21 CET 2011
18:32 christianmarcsch silbe: hmm
18:32 silbe: it's ok though
18:32 silbe: i'll be here
18:32 silbe christianmarcsch: maybe it's EDT, not EST?
18:32 sascha.silbe@twin:~$ date -d '14:30 EDT'
18:32 Sun Mar 20 19:30:00 CET 2011
18:33 christianmarcsch silbe: ah yes, that makes sense
18:33 silbe christianmarcsch: that's exactly the reason I always use UTC when agreeing on a time :)
18:33 christianmarcsch silbe: good point
18:33 silbe: well no worries, i'll be online. we can wait for gary to join in
18:34 silbe christianmarcsch: good
18:41 garycmartin christianmarcsch: silbe: walterbender: Aaaagh no one pinged my user name, I've been hanging on with the window in the background, are you all still here? If so we could start now rather than wait another 20 min for 19:00UTC?
18:41 christianmarcsch garycmartin: hi
18:41 garycmartin: i too have been hanging out :)
18:41 garycmartin christianmarcsch: Hi!
18:42 silbe garycmartin: Hi! Fine with me :)
18:42 christianmarcsch garycmartin: i had the wrong time (EDT, not EST) apparently
18:42 garycmartin christianmarcsch: we need to get you a world clock ;-)
18:43 Hi silbe.
18:43 christianmarcsch garycmartin: yes, i know. i'm having trouble with UTC :)
18:43 garycmartin walterbender: ping, available to start?
18:45 walterbender has quit IRC
18:45 silbe christianmarcsch: try an XO with NTP enabled and a regular OLPC build. They're apparently all set to UTC. :)
18:45 christianmarcsch silbe: nice
18:49 garycmartin shall we give walterbender until 19:00UTC ?
18:49 silbe garycmartin: +1
18:50 especially since the first topic is about keybindings and he might remember the reason we have screenshot on Alt+1 :)
18:50 garycmartin OK (BTW I might need to leave early)
18:52 christianmarcsch sounds good to me
19:00 garycmartin blast, looks like we've lost Walter.
19:01 #startmeeting
19:01 meeting Meeting started Sun Mar 20 19:01:02 2011 UTC. The chair is garycmartin. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
19:01 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
19:01 christianmarcsch apparently so
19:01 silbe let's hope he joins us later
19:01 we could postpone the first one or two agenda items
19:01 garycmartin Yes, hopefully Walter will manage to catch us later.
19:03 #topic A standard tool icon for create-new/modify type Activity functionality
19:05 I was hoping to get a few mockup variations before today, but the general gist is that to hook up with the Activity toolbar work that's happening it would be good to have a standard toolbar icon for customising activities.
19:05 christianmarcsch garycmartin: what sort of customizations?
19:06 garycmartin Two examples are Memorize, and Abacus.
19:07 Where both activities support modification/customisation (new quiz tiles, new abacus number bases/layouts).
19:07 christianmarcsch garycmartin: makes sense.
19:08 garycmartin: perhaps a gear? :)
19:08 garycmartin For Abacus, Walter used the cog icon (same as we use for view source)
19:08 christianmarcsch garycmartin: right
19:09 CanoeBerry has quit IRC
19:09 garycmartin Memorize currently has a create tab, no icon as of yet.
19:09 christianmarcsch garymartin: sounds like we need to differentiate
19:10 garycmartin: i'd still say a gear/cog feels appropriate. we could find a different icon for view source, maybe something that resembles a terminal window
19:10 garycmartin christianmarcsch: yes it should be different from the view source cog, but the idea is similar (a 'low floor' version is needed)
19:12 christianmarcsch: I had also been experimenting with the existing edit menu (scissors icon), but I think folks feel there are too many con's regarding overloading what traditional computer users think of the edit menu features.
19:12 #link http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/U[…]e_Toolbar_Mockups
19:14 christianmarcsch garycmartin: true, though i can see how you arrived there
19:14 garycmartin Here's some category words to think on edit/modify/customize/create that we might want the icon to visualise.
19:15 christianmarcsch so this would live in the activity tab?
19:15 how about the activity icon with a gear overlaid?
19:16 garycmartin christianmarcsch: yes, I quite like that idea, but it could get very fussy badging some activity icons. It might also be confusing if there is another very similar activity icon in the primary toolbar.
19:17 christianmarcsch garycmartin: yeah, i see the point about the dual gear icons. though the badge we overlay could also be a different symbol...
19:18 garycmartin: in any case a badge actually seems appropriate, since it is a modifier to the existing activity
19:19 garycmartin christianmarcsch: true.
19:19 Anyone have any other thoughts on an icon?
19:21 For create/new the activity icon with a star badge works quite well (a spark rather than a favourite like 5 point star)
19:22 christianmarcsch yes, i like that
19:22 silbe garycmartin: nop, sorry.
19:23 christianmarcsch preferences is tough
19:23 i thought of perhaps overlaying an XO badge
19:23 to show that it is personalized
19:23 garycmartin Modify seems to usually be a pen/pencil overlaid on a document (I'm googling icon images)
19:24 Customize is usually the spanner or cog type icon
19:25 christianmarcsch garycmartin: so how about we change view source?
19:26 garycmartin: doesn't view source invoke the terminal anyway? then why not just use the terminal icon?
19:26 garycmartin christianmarcsch: A downside to using a badge over an activity icon is that it's tougher to reuse, ideally we want a single icon for sugar-artwork.
19:27 christianmarcsch garycmartin: so terminal icon for view source, and the cog for customize
19:27 garycmartin christianmarcsch: No view source opens a syntax aware source viewer.
19:27 christianmarcsch garycmartin: does the source viewer have an activity icon?
19:28 garycmartin christianmarcsch: I was hoping view source would also allow source editing (apparently the view is a standard bit of gtk that easily edits text, just that we need to think through the implications of enabling editing).
19:29 christianmarcsch for view source, i could see a symbol that references a text file, a written document, rather than the cog
19:30 garycmartin christianmarcsch: the view source has at least one activity icon, but also potentially a second in monochrome if it also supports viewing the activities content as source (think Browse viewing the html, Turtle Art viewing the LOGO source).
19:32 christianmarcsch: let me upload a view source screen shot for you, hang on...
19:35 dfarning_afk is now known as dfarning
19:35 walterbender <walterbender!~webchat@jita.sugarlabs.org> has joined #sugar-meeting
19:37 silbe garycmartin: I'd prefer a way to open the source in a full-screen editor rather than editing it in the small View Source window. But maybe the way to go is making View Source full-screen instead of making the editor separate.
19:37 walterbender: Welcome!
19:38 garycmartin silbe: we lose that context again... You really don't like those modal like views do you ;-)
19:38 #link http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/F[…]browse_source.png
19:39 silbe walterbender: The log is at http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]ng/meetings/today . We've postponed the first two agenda items until you arrived.
19:39 garycmartin: not in general, and definitely not on a small screen like the XO.
19:39 garycmartin #link http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/F[…]stance_source.png
19:40 silbe garycmartin: source code editing in full-screen is bad enough on the XO. If you make the window significantly smaller like we do for modal dialogs, it's a PITA.
19:40 garycmartin #link http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/F[…]bundle_source.png
19:40 walterbender checks the backlog and wonders why view source doesn't launch Pippy?
19:40 silbe garycmartin: sorry for the sidetracking
19:41 garycmartin Pippy!? Hmmm...
19:42 walterbender or Edit...
19:42 some source is not Python
19:42 christianmarcsch walterbender: edit makes sense i think
19:42 if it launches edit, we could use that icon, and reserve the gear for customization
19:42 silbe walterbender: because those operate on Journal entries, but View Source operates on the installed activity (i.e. a directory tree)
19:42 walterbender (we need to make Edit run in old-style Sugar... it only runs 0.86++)
19:43 garycmartin Correction to above, coloured icon in view source holds 'instance source' (html, LOGO, etc), monochrome icon holds activity bundle source.
19:43 walterbender silbe: well, maybe this would be the excuse to move the  viewed source into the Journal
19:43 silbe: and make an editable application
19:44 if we are going to bother to change it, we may as well try to further advance our goals...
19:46 garycmartin Oh my, how did we get off into such a tangent! ;-) we were just trying to decide on a standard icon for a couple or so of our activities.
19:46 silbe walterbender: an activity (like Edit) could offer to open an activity bundle (i.e. MIME type application/vnd.olpc-sugar). To allow viewing / editing system-installed activities, we'd have to implement pseudo-bundles then, though.
19:46 shuts up now so we get back to the icon issue
19:46 walterbender tries not to derail the meeting he was late to...
19:47 garycmartin apologises for the drop shadows in those screen shots, was still playing with compositing.
19:47 christianmarcsch garymartin: yes, i noticed the shadow :)
19:48 i think view source could have a different symbol
19:49 walterbender christianmarcsch: one gotcha is the gear printed on the OLPC keyboards
19:49 christianmarcsch my only concern is that the gear was printed on the XO keyboard (not sure if that's still the case)
19:49 walterbender: yes :)
19:49 garycmartin So, shall we punt this one into the long grass for another week to mull over? Perhaps if we use the cog just for now, and make sure we have a uniques name in sugar-artwork, so we can magically update it away from the view source icon later.
19:49 walterbender christianmarcsch: it is still there... I just designed some new keyboards with them
19:49 christianmarcsch the other thing that comes to mind is a form with checkboxes
19:49 walterbender garycmartin: works for me...
19:50 garycmartin: to me, we are just talking about different levels of customization, so gears and more gears... maybe a gearbox?
19:50 christianmarcsch or maybe a wrench?
19:50 i worry that gears and wrenches could be too close
19:51 walterbender christianmarcsch: I could live with that too...
19:51 christianmarcsch what about a pencil?
19:51 a pencil making a check-mark
19:51 garycmartin Let's punt and try to have some examples for next week.
19:51 walterbender OK...
19:51 silbe garycmartin: +1
19:51 christianmarcsch ok
19:52 garycmartin #topic Get rid of Alt-1 for taking screenshots (collides with some applications, e.g. irssi)
19:52 walterbender the other icons: make a new something... and camera vs sensor vs view....
19:52 next week as well?
19:53 garycmartin go on... someone add it to the agenda.
19:54 walterbender garycmartin: re Alt-1, we need something for grab screen... I always forget what the GNOME Take Snapshot uses
19:54 garycmartin silbe: re Alt-1 I'd hate to drop a very useful shortcut I'm sure is documented all over the place.
19:54 silbe ok, I'd like to get rid of Sugars Alt-1 key binding because it a) gets triggered if you press Cursor Up in Xephyr on a non-US keyboard (Xephyr bug) and, more importantly, b) at least irssi (but IIRC some other applications as well) uses it for regular operations. On my systems I always patch the source to get rid of it.
19:55 garycmartin silbe: seems a shame just because it clashes with some obscure GNOME application, I should really look up what on earth irssi is, something to help stop wrist sprains? ;-)
19:56 silbe garycmartin: it's a text-mode IRC client
19:57 hmm, do we have a PrintScreen key somewhere on the XO? That's the second key we bind to screenshot...
19:57 walterbender silbe: not on the XO
19:57 garycmartin silbe: nope, no PrintScreen key on XO
19:57 silbe ok, I guess that was the reason for this obscure binding
19:57 walterbender silbe: but we do have the unassigned bulletin-board key
19:58 garycmartin so, no one wants to suggest finally using the.... damn, walterbender types fast!
19:58 walterbender (which I still would like to associate with writing to the Jouanrl detail view)
19:58 silbe walterbender: I'd prefer to leave that for a function that's more related to a bulletin than print screen. Like overlay chat. :)
19:59 christianmarcsch silbe: speaking of, whatever happened to overlay chat?
19:59 silbe christianmarcsch: lack of developers working on it AFAIK
19:59 garycmartin christianmarcsch: it needs compositing enables to stand a design chance...
20:00 christianmarcsch garycmartin: i see. and compositing is still an issue from what i gather...
20:00 silbe ok, so removing Alt-1 is a no-go in the short term, we need a replacement and a phase-out period. Let's move on to the next topic.
20:00 garycmartin -1 for removing Alt-1
20:01 Can I hand over to another chair, my hour is up :-(
20:01 silbe christianmarcsch, walterbender: do you have a bit of time left to discuss "What date should the activities list view show for pre-installed activities?"?
20:02 christianmarcsch silbe: sure
20:02 walterbender we should continue next week... 15UTC again??? (but I could talk a bit more about that topic)
20:02 garycmartin Let me end meeting so one of you can start it again, also 15UTC next week is good for me.
20:02 #endmeeting
20:02 meeting Meeting ended Sun Mar 20 20:02:48 2011 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
20:02 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-20T19:01:02.html
20:02 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]11-03-20T19:01:02
20:02 walterbender OK... thanks gary
20:02 christianmarcsch thanks gary--see you next week
20:03 walterbender #start-meeting
20:03 meeting Meeting started Sun Mar 20 20:03:00 2011 UTC. The chair is walterbender. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
20:03 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
20:03 silbe garycmartin: thanks, see you next week!
20:03 garycmartin Thanks all, sorry I have to dash, will look at the log!
20:03 garycmartin has quit IRC
20:03 silbe walterbender: can you set the topic, please?
20:03 walterbender #info gary had to leave... but we will continue for one more topic
20:04 #topic What date should the activities list view show for pre-installed activities?
20:04 silbe #link http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10487 OLPC#10487: Activity Installation time wrong (activity list view)
20:04 #link http://lists.laptop.org/piperm[…]thread.html#31544 Patch discussion: Do not adjust dates of activities
20:05 walterbender IMHO, the relevant date is the Activity modification date... it tells the user how recent a version they are running.
20:05 and if they modify the activity themselves, it highlights that fact too
20:06 silbe walterbender: but what is the "modification date" for activities that came with the OS image and were neither started nor modified yet?
20:06 christianmarcsch walterbender: +1
20:06 silbe: in that case, wouldn't we use the date of installation?
20:07 silbe christianmarcsch: that's exactly the question
20:07 christianmarcsch sllbe: i think that would make sense. we'd seed them with the date of installation, and override once they have been instantiated
20:07 walterbender silbe: is there no way to include the modification date in the build?
20:09 m_anish_afk is now known as m_anish
20:09 silbe The options I can think of are: 1. use date of last modification from source tarball, 2. use time of OS image build, 3. use time of first Sugar start-up, 4. use some artificial time in the past. Current OLPC implement the last option AFAIK.
20:10 s/AFAIK// (just checked again)
20:10 walterbender I prefer #1
20:12 and it would be consistant
20:13 christianmarcsch wouldn't #2 make more sense for the user though?
20:13 maybe it's not totally consistent internally, but to the user the only thing that matters is when they started using the system
20:13 walterbender christianmarcsch: why?
20:14 christianmarcsch: I would think that they'd want to know the version of TA they were running was 2-years old on their new release....
20:15 christianmarcsch walterbender: i suppose you are right
20:15 walterbender so they could berate the developer to get off the stick...
20:15 christianmarcsch walterbender: :)
20:15 but
20:16 once someone starts using the activity, would it switch to the date of last instantiation?
20:16 walterbender christianmarcsch: shouldn't...
20:16 christianmarcsch walterbender: ok, then it makes sense
20:16 walterbender running an activity doesn't update the activity, just the journal instance
20:17 christianmarcsch walterbender: perfect, ok. just needed to understand that.
20:18 walterbender silbe: correct me if I am wrong, but we are talking about the date of the activities shown in the list view
20:18 silbe walterbender: exactly. List View of the Home View.
20:19 walterbender christianmarcsch: this is what determines the order in the circle/spiral or the list in the list view
20:20 christianmarcsch walterbender: right, that makes sense
20:20 walterbender thinks the list view should show most recent first, because those are the ones you'd likely be working on...
20:21 silbe: is there anything re #1 that is controversial (or a headache technically?)
20:22 silbe walterbender: not to me :) Check http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10487 for other opinions
20:22 walterbender: the technical side of things is solvable
20:23 walterbender silbe: I didn't understand the issue with Gary's side-effect.
20:23 silbe we just need to agree on how it _should_ work, and I'll take care of making Sugar _do_ work like it
20:23 walterbender silbe: if the activity is touched, presumably it is for a reason
20:24 silbe walterbender: I'll try to figure out where and maybe why it's touched. Off the top of my head I don't see a technical reason to do so.
20:24 walterbender silbe: seems like there was *almost* consensus on #1 in the ticket (as I recall)
20:25 silbe: with a few people wanting some additional info available (which I think is needless complexity)
20:25 silbe walterbender: iff we want to provide additional information, we should handle that as a separate topic IMO
20:26 walterbender silbe: agreed
20:26 silbe (I too think it's too complex for the list view; at this point we can just refer users to the Terminal)
20:26 walterbender silbe: re Gary's side effect, as an activity developer, I like it... the things I am working on show up at the start of my spiral.
20:27 silbe walterbender: what exactly do you call "Gary's side effect"? That an activity gets sorted in front if you just use it, without modifying it?
20:28 walterbender: if you modify the activity, #1 would show it at the top (list view) / inner-most (spiral)
20:29 walterbender silbe: we need clarification, but he describes "when you use an activity the folder gets touched" but is this true?
20:29 silbe tries
20:30 walterbender has never seen that behavior
20:30 silbe oh, I had the sort order reversed in my mind it seems: the list view currently shows the oldest activity first
20:31 walterbender silbe: yes... which I think is the opposite of what we want... but the oldest is on the outside of the spiral, which I think is correct.
20:32 silbe walterbender: confirmed, it does get touched.
20:32 walterbender silbe: but running an activity has no impact on the order as far as I know
20:32 silbe ???
20:32 satellit_afk is now known as satellit_
20:33 walterbender silbe: is that modification time or access time?
20:33 silbe walterbender: it gets even stranger: in the list view, the just-run activity gets sorted somewhere in the middle (after a Sugar restart)
20:34 walterbender: ls uses mtime by default
20:34 walterbender: (i.e. mtime gets changed)
20:34 walterbender silbe: hmm. I cannot say I ever noticed that before. It is a bug.
20:35 why does running an activity modify the directory?
20:35 silbe walterbender: I guess we should just agree on how it's supposed to behave and fix Sugar so it does behave the newly specified way.
20:35 The current behaviour definitely is a bug. I can't imagine any spec saying "sort a recently-run activity in the middle" ;)
20:35 walterbender silbe: it makes no sense for activities to be modified when they are run
20:35 silbe walterbender: +1
20:35 satellit_ any ideas about Give priority to last installed activity by date installed and not version number?
20:36 silbe satellit_: the activities list view doesn't look like it's sorted by version number
20:37 walterbender satellit_: how do you have both at once? two instances of the same activity? Sugar doesn't support that, does it?
20:37 satellit_ but browse-120 from updates precludes running browse-119.xo installed later
20:37 walterbender satellit_: does it prevent running or installation?
20:37 silbe we sort it by internal order of the bundle registry (I'm sure about that part, filed a bug about it some months ago). IIRC the internal order of the bundle registry is based on the activity mtime...
20:38 satellit_ so an update may install a non-fuctioning non removable activity
20:38 silbe satellit_: that's a separate issue.
20:38 satellit_ prevents running .xo of earlier version
20:38 walterbender satellit_: yeah... but that is a different topic, I think
20:38 satellit_ ok
20:38 silbe satellit_: we should talk about that some time as well, but not now.
20:39 walterbender silbe: do we have consensus re modification time and that running an activity shouldn't modify the activity???
20:39 silbe: any idea why the latter is happening?
20:39 silbe walterbender: +1 from me. christianmarcsch?
20:39 walterbender: not yet, but I'll figure it out.
20:39 christianmarcsch silbe: +1
20:39 walterbender looks to see what was touched in Pippy
20:40 silbe ok, nice. Can we agree on it? Gary can still chime in via email and we can reconsider if necessary.
20:40 walterbender silbe: ah.. it is the .pyc files of course
20:41 wonders if there is a way to ignore those.
20:42 silbe walterbender: ah, I see. There are ways to either avoid that or at least ignore it, though.
20:42 walterbender silbe: I think we should ignore them... it is misleading
20:42 wonders how, without having to walk through the entire tree
20:43 silbe do we have consensus on how it should work?
20:44 walterbender yes
20:45 silbe: I will update the ticket with a pointer to this discussion.
20:45 silbe walterbender: thanks. Can you add a #agree <description of consensus> so it turns up in the minutes, please? (#agreed is restricted to the chair)
20:46 s/#agree/#agreed/
20:46 walterbender silbe:  or not, because I cannot write to tickets at OLPC anymore :(
20:46 #agreed that modification date is the proper date to list and sort on
20:46 silbe walterbender: you should have received a token via email when you logged in.
20:47 christianmarcsch walterbender, silbe: i will need to leave soon--were there any other issues you wanted to go over?
20:47 silbe walterbender: they recently enabled email address verification to counter spam
20:47 walterbender #agreed that we should fix the "bug" that considers .pyc file generation a modification to an activity
20:47 silbe: yes... and I never get the verification in my email...
20:47 silbe christianmarcsch: not for today. We already took much more time than I wanted.
20:47 walterbender: :-/ spam folder?
20:48 walterbender christianmarcsch, silbe: next week, same time...
20:48 looked there... will look again.
20:48 christianmarcsch sounds great. see you next week!
20:48 silbe walterbender: thx! (for the #agreed's)
20:48 christianmarcsch has quit IRC
20:48 silbe thanks everybody for joining, see you next week!
20:48 walterbender silbe: not in my spam folder :P
20:48 OK. CU
20:48 #end-meeting
20:48 meeting Meeting ended Sun Mar 20 20:48:49 2011 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
20:48 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-20T20:03:00.html
20:48 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]11-03-20T20:03:00
20:49 walterbender silbe: so, will you point to this log in the ticket?
20:49 silbe walterbender: you could ask on #olpc-devel to get you confirmed manually. I don't remember who maintains dev.l.o...
20:49 walterbender: will do
20:50 lucian_ <lucian_!~lucian@78-86-217-168.zone2.bethere.co.uk> has joined #sugar-meeting
20:51 silbe walterbender: oh, how long since the token was sent? Graylisting might delay it for up to an hour :-/
20:51 lucian has quit IRC
20:51 lucian_ is now known as lucia
20:51 lucia is now known as lucian
20:56 silbe walterbender: shall I add you to the CC list? If so, what's your user name?
21:01 yama` <yama`!~yama@124-169-21-174.dyn.iinet.net.au> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:02 yama` has quit IRC
21:02 yama` <yama`!~yama@ubuntu/member/yama> has joined #sugar-meeting
21:04 yama has quit IRC
21:12 walterbender silbe: walter in trac
21:13 silbe walterbender: added. not sure if you'll get the notification before you get your account verified, though.
21:30 dfarning is now known as dfarning_afk
22:43 lucian has quit IRC
22:57 walterbender has quit IRC
23:15 silbe has quit IRC
23:28 satellit-gn3 <satellit-gn3!~sugar@208-100-148-220.bendbroadband.com> has joined #sugar-meeting

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster