Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#sugar-meeting, 2011-02-22

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
15:04 SeanDaly #start-meeting
15:04 meeting Meeting started Tue Feb 22 15:05:46 2011 UTC. The chair is SeanDaly. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:04 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #endmeeting
15:05 JT4sugar Per Prof. Jacobs-Next steps can move forward once I know the following...
15:05 1.  If the design firm is in, and for what.
15:05 2.  What you are looking to have done to the site.  Graphics only, total reorg, new underlying tech, etc
15:06 SeanDaly 1. design firm here : #link http://www.seso.net/
15:07 1. it s pretty open, they mentioned an Activity, website work, or event assistance
15:08 2. redesign for sure, but we are likely only looking at the "static frontal" site - sl.o is actually a hodgepodge of several different sites, under different domains
15:09 2. I think the key problem we have aside from ease of use & access to info from homepage is: federating disparate sl.o websites
15:09 JT4sugar When was last contact with design firm?
15:10 SeanDaly end December, they are waiting for our call when we are ready
15:11 JT4sugar Need to verify if they are willing to work with with Prof Jacob and student
15:12 SeanDaly Prof Jacob, student, Christian, and teacher betatesters panel to be created
15:13 I don t see a problem - they need a "client" to do the brief and be SL contact during work
15:13 Redoing frontal site is not a big job if shared. But federating disparate websites is... we sorely need a functioning search engine for example
15:16 JT4sugar Because Co-op is a formal set-up for Prof. Jacobs he is going to want to know we made verbal contact with firm to get their ok before he moves forward
15:19 SeanDaly ok for what? They have offered services we need...
15:20 JT4sugar Is firm willing to work with Prof. Jacobs program and student I understand they want to help us that does not mean they are willing to team with RIT to do so
15:22 SeanDaly Firm knows we are resource-challenged nonprofit... "team with RIT" just means their primary SL contacts would be student and Christian
15:24 JT4sugar I think it would be best and for Prof Jacob he wants to know if firm has signed off on idea. Can t we just run it by them and get ok?
15:24 SeanDaly for example, key role of student would be to implement our brief (as opposed to cutting-edge design which could mean less usable)
15:26 if you want to call them, go ahead, but I m not sure why we would need "ok". I guess in the worst case they could decline on the basis of too many cooks spoiling the soup, but even in that case they could help in other ways such as implementing an Activity
15:27 Frontal site needs interface design in particular visuals, logo, and menu, then to be coded & betatested, then perhaps successive iteration(s)
15:29 Christian and the student could certainly handle design, but we need help for visuals (field photos may be sufficient, but a shoot possibly better), and likely help with coding
15:30 Christian is occupied with an important presentation for next two weeks, but that gives us time to assemble teacher panel
15:31 Re visuals: a potential problem with field photos (classroom shots) is we need signed releases,
15:32 christianmarcsch hi SeanDaly
15:32 i have a few minutes, thought i d check in
15:32 SeanDaly I had release draft language ready a couple of years ago will dig it out
15:32 hi christianmarcsch!
15:32 Sorry I forgot to send meeting invite been swamped since return
15:33 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: no problem!
15:33 JT4sugar SeanDaly, For all involved-my understanding was you were going to reach out to Firm explain situation(New website-Team up with RIT Co-op program) and see if this was in line with their offer. Co-op is a formal arrangement and Prof. would like a detailed understanding
15:33 SeanDaly JT4sugar and I were just discussing website revamp a bit
15:33 christianmarcsch hi JT4sugar
15:33 JT4sugar Hi Christian
15:34 christianmarcsch JT4sugar: Sean and I met a few days ago in NY and were talking about the website
15:34 SeanDaly JT4sugar: I ve been in transit since I learned was urgent
15:34 christianmarcsch JT4sugar: i agree it s high-time for a redesign
15:35 as I mentioned to Sean, at the time the design possibilities were difficult because we didn t have access to a lot of content
15:35 most of it was written, which is why the site ended up being very text-heavy
15:35 JT4sugar Problem were running into is RIT new quarter starts in week so Prof Jacobs must place student immediately if not us someone else will get services
15:35 christianmarcsch but i was inspired by the new OLPC redesign, and think we could try something similarly visually driven
15:36 SeanDaly christianmarchsch: RIT student seems like great opportunity to have lots of man-days available to help
15:36 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: i agree--that sounds great
15:37 JT4sugar christianmarcsch, RIT and Prof Jacobs have student that if we get on Co-op will be able to put 40hrs a week toward project for quarter
15:37 christianmarcsch JT4sugar: that sounds like a great opportunity to get some help, especially around the content creation
15:38 SeanDaly christianmarcsch: JT4sugar is concerned design firm may be reticent to work with us if RIT student in the picture
15:38 christianmarcsch JT4sugar: in my mind, quality content would be the most important aspect of an overhaul
15:38 SeanDaly I myself don t see why that would be... design firm knows we are resource-challenged
15:38 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: for the frontal site, i don t know that we need the design firm involved
15:38 SeanDaly Ideally design firm could help us organize photo shoots
15:39 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: that is a good point
15:39 SeanDaly: my other concern are the other websites, such as the activity portal
15:39 SeanDaly christianmarcsch: yes, i m really more worried about visuals & coding resources
15:40 chrostianmarcsch: yes a few minutes ago I mentioned I think federating disparate SL websites a challenge
15:40 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: who exactly is the student we are talking about? does he have a bio?
15:41 SeanDaly JT4sugar: do you have more info re student?
15:42 JT4sugar SeanDaly, No , it was suggeested I contact Prof. Jacobs in our conversation he said he had someone available that would work for this and he is under assumption student is working alongside design firm
15:44 christianmarcsch, Prof. Jacobs and RIT FOSS program has done previous work with us
15:44 SeanDaly JT4sugar: Christian has confirmed he can play key role too - perhaps design firm unnecessary in this phase?
15:45 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: you had mentioned you may know photographers you could ask to help us generate visuals
15:45 SeanDaly JT4sugar: Prof Jacobs worked with FGrose if I m not mistaken
15:46 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: i bet we could also pull together a lot of compelling imagery taken in the field
15:46 SeanDaly christianmarcsch: I only know a couple personally, but I have compiled a list I could cold-call
15:46 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Understanding Christian s restraints and our need to have this done by Uruguay race time the more resources the better at this point. If we are going to make this Teacher centered we need some heavy lifting
15:46 SeanDaly christianmarcsch: I agree we just need to be clean with image releases
15:47 JT4sugar: re Uruguay, 2011 schedule is up: #link http://www.slipstreamsports.com/calendar
15:47 christianmarcsch JT4sugar: when it comes to the frontal site, that is something i can handle. only concern is around the other websites as i mentioend (e.g. activity portal)
15:48 but if the design firm is mainly there to focus on content creation, that sounds great
15:48 when i worked on the previous OLPC website with eleven, that was largely their focus
15:48 SeanDaly Walter told me race he has in mind in Uruguay is April 15-24 "Vuelta Ciclista al Ururguay"
15:49 christianmarcsch elevan was the design firm helping us from the pentagram side
15:49 *eleven
15:49 SeanDaly Maybe design firm could assist with Garmin-Cervelo Uruguay race event?
15:50 JT4sugar christianmarcsch, With these offers on table I believe now is time to pool resources and take care of this much needed upgrade. Teachers will love us for it!
15:50 SeanDaly Because website revamp may be rushed if deadline is mid-April?
15:51 christianmarcsch JT4sugar: i totally agree. just thinking that it would be great to get the help, but i d love to still be the primary designer for the frontal site.
15:51 JT4sugar: we now have the opportunity to really overhaul the site and make it great--something we didn t have content for when v1 launched
15:52 JT4sugar: and in my mind, the site is an extension of the brand identity, which come directly from the sugar UI
15:52 SeanDaly Looking at Seso site and original mail from CEO, they are event-oriented
15:53 JT4sugar christianmarcsch, That s your call. All I know is race will be pointing many new eyes to site and we need to take advantage of situation
15:53 SeanDaly Walter has mentioned on list possibility of interactive event in Uruguay, kids recording/commenting on race with Sugar on XOs during whole week
15:53 JT4sugar christianmarcsch, My thought is to team you and student with design firm and hammer out a plan. They can hopefully fill in spots we are weak and help extend brand
15:54 christianmarcsch JT4sugar: that makes sense. the design firm could perhaps also focus on a microsite specifically geared towards the upcoming event
15:55 another way eleven was able to help us at the time was to think about scenarios
15:55 SeanDaly Yes, microsite would make sense, needs to be in Spanish and work well under Sugar Browse ;-)
15:55 christianmarcsch and provide guidance as far as the audience(s) we are looking to address
15:56 i could see that as another crucial role for the design firm to play--helping with the information architecture, as it were
15:56 SeanDaly christianmarcsch: do you mean scenarios as in visit paths on site?
15:56 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: yes, exactly
15:56 JT4sugar SeanDaly, With your ok I am going to call CEO at Seso explain situation and get his feedback-sign on or would you like to place call or email?
15:56 SeanDaly Marketlab study identified teacher difficulties for sure
15:56 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: that level of guidance and involvement would be great to have
15:58 SeanDaly JT4sugar: go ahead, mention my name you have thread. ideally they could help us with Uruguay race microsite & events (possibly even dedicated Activity), as well as architecture & scenarios assistance Christian just mentioned
16:00 JT4sugar: see this thread re Uruguay race: #link http://lists.sugarlabs.org/arc[…]nuary/003151.html
16:00 satellit_ would portal include a multlanguage web based VM? (I think dogi was working on this)
16:00 SeanDaly greetings satellit_
16:00 satellit_ hi
16:01 christianmarcsch hi satellit_
16:01 JT4sugar SeanDaly, I will look for buy-in and then suggest we have conference call at sometime in near future with Design Firm, Christian, Sean, RIT(Student/Prof Jacobs) to discuss larger needs and how we might go about approaching them
16:01 satellit_ : )
16:01 SeanDaly satellit_: FGrose seemed to be saying in IRC log from infrastructure meeting that dogi s web-based VM difficult to scale... no more than several users a a time :-(
16:02 JT4sugar: sounds great, their resources could provide key assistance to generate buzz with Uruguay race
16:03 christianmarcsch JT4sugar: sounds like a great way to start things off
16:03 SeanDaly By the way I have important news about OLPC-A
16:04 Giulia D Amico in Miami now handling PR for them
16:04 I mentioned Uruguay race possibility to her last week,
16:04 would be great if we could do joint PR with OLPC that week
16:06 JT4sugar: available most days for conf call but since Seso on left coast, ideally late evening Paris time ;-)
16:09 christianmarcsch: do you think April 15th doable for website revamp?
16:10 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: yes, that definitely sounds doable
16:10 SeanDaly: the tough part is going to be coordinating all of the players, but in general a month and a half should be enough for the design work
16:11 SeanDaly it would really be fabulous if design firm could assist with both Uruguay event and website arch & scenarios
16:11 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: yes, agree. also wondering about implementation and requirements. we should figure out if there is any news features (from a technology standpoint) we will want to have
16:11 *new features
16:12 JT4sugar christianmarcsch, What does your avalability look like starting next week going forward. Any times better than others taking into account Design Firm West Coast
16:12 christianmarcsch JT4sugar: i am at TED next week, but back the week after. my availability is mornings/evenings EST (I m based in NY)
16:12 SeanDaly christianmarcsch: to be honest my main worry is that we are not sure yet how best to help teachers "touch & feel" Sugar
16:13 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: i completely agree with that
16:13 SeanDaly in other words download/install/configure recommendation
16:13 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: we need to find a way to bring the experience to life
16:13 SeanDaly: and as you say making downloading the software accessible should also be one of the top goals
16:14 SeanDaly christianmarcsch: this is why I was so excited about dogi s online VM experiment... Sugar in a browser eliminates download/install barrier
16:14 JT4sugar christianmarcsch, If all works I will try to set up larger conference call between players week of March 7th-Does that sound workable?
16:14 SeanDaly But, it seems doing that is difficult to scale
16:15 christianmarcsch JT4sugar: yes, definitely. i can make the time for it, and monday s are usually slow here
16:15 SeanDaly Mondays good for me too
16:15 christianmarcsch JT4sugar: but anytime that week works
16:17 SeanDaly on the to-do list is also short films showcasing Sugar Activities; I have had difficulty getting screen-capture software working, but when I do, I have everything else: mics for voiceover &c
16:17 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: that sounds fantastic!
16:18 SeanDaly: would be great if we had one or two video case studies we could launch with the new website
16:18 SeanDaly film(s) as a way of bypassing install barrier... we have a dedicated channel on DailyMotion: #link: Giulia D Amico
16:18 oops
16:19 film(s) as a way of bypassing install barrier... we have a dedicated channel on DailyMotion: #link: http://www.dailymotion.com/sugarlabs
16:19 christianmarcsch: I agree
16:20 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: i m going to have to tune out, but i m glad i could catch this conversation! looking forward to the conference call in a few weeks
16:20 SeanDaly But anything requiring realworld footage would I think be beyond what I can do myself
16:20 many thanks christianmarcsch, I have to go too, JT4sugar anything else for now?
16:21 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: we should continue to talk about realworld footage, since i think it would be be the best way to showcase the software and learning experience
16:21 satellit_ make a DVD with install instructions?
16:21 video
16:21 SeanDaly Maybe Seso could assist with that as part of event participation?
16:22 christianmarcsch that s a great idea
16:22 SeanDaly satellit_: a good idea
16:22 satellit_ could place on downloads page
16:22 christianmarcsch i m also thinking of footage from the classrooms
16:22 seems that OLPC might have access to some materials we could use?
16:23 SeanDaly I will liaise with Giulia to see what s possible re footage
16:23 christianmarcsch SeanDaly: sounds great
16:23 ok, i have to leave for now--thanks!
16:23 SeanDaly thanks Christian!!
16:25 JT4sugar: picture should be clearer now re Seso & RIT calls... it s great you can do those
16:25 JT4sugar SeanDaly, Will see what I can find out put together and will let you know. Thanks for today
16:26 SeanDaly many thanks to you!! and satellit_ :-)
16:26 satellit_ thanks
16:27 SeanDaly #end-meeting
16:27 meeting Meeting ended Tue Feb 22 16:28:36 2011 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. (v 0.1.4)
16:27 Minutes: http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]-22T15:05:46.html
16:27 Log:     http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/s[…]11-02-22T15:05:46

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster