Web   ·   Wiki   ·   Activities   ·   Blog   ·   Lists   ·   Chat   ·   Meeting   ·   Bugs   ·   Git   ·   Translate   ·   Archive   ·   People   ·   Donate

#olpc-paraguay, 2010-10-06

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

All times shown according to UTC.

Time Nick Message
00:28 fm <fm!~Paraguay@mail.paraguayeduca.org> has joined #olpc-paraguay
03:26 tch has left #olpc-paraguay
05:02 walterbender <walterbender!~chatzilla@201.192.97.46> has joined #olpc-paraguay
05:20 walterbender has quit IRC
10:30 Cynthiar <Cynthiar!~Paraguay@mail.paraguayeduca.org> has joined #olpc-paraguay
10:32 Cynthiar Buen Día Jorge está por ahi?
10:35 Cynthiar has quit IRC
11:19 javix <javix!~javix@200.61.226.194> has joined #olpc-paraguay
12:07 car|0s <car|0s!~carlos@mail.paraguayeduca.org> has joined #olpc-paraguay
12:29 fm <fm!~Paraguay@mail.paraguayeduca.org> has joined #olpc-paraguay
12:32 jasg <jasg!~jorge@mail.paraguayeduca.org> has joined #olpc-paraguay
12:40 walterbender <walterbender!~chatzilla@201.192.97.46> has joined #olpc-paraguay
12:52 tch <tch!~tch@186.16.74.160> has joined #olpc-paraguay
12:57 rgs__ car|0s: Oct  6 08:45:41 schoolserver puppetd[3777]: Finished catalog run in 226.94 secon
12:58 car|0s: puppet corrio en la 278 esta matina
12:58 car|0s: ahora veo pq no copio los leases
12:58 car|0s rgs__, si, pero no recibio los leases
12:58 rgs__, y de acuerdo a mothership, estos fueron enviados
12:58 rgs__ car|0s: la pregunta es si los leases se generaron en mothership entonces
12:58 car|0s rgs__, si, se generaron
13:00 Oct  6 08:37:05 schoolserver puppetd[2856]: XMLRPC returned wrong size.  Retrying.
13:00 rgs__, ^^
13:00 rgs__ car|0s: q interesante
13:00 car|0s rgs__, el unico error q encontre
13:00 rgs__ car|0s: mirando
13:02 car|0s: ese error viste en /var/log/messages de la 278?
13:02 car|0s rgs__, si
13:02 Oct  6 08:30:56 schoolserver puppetd[1802]: (//Node[base]/leases/File[/v​ar/lib/xsleases/leases.dat]) Filebucketed to  with sum ac18d1f9a6fbffe9a424200de9510258
13:02 Oct  6 08:30:56 schoolserver puppetd[1802]: (//Node[base]/leases/File[/var/l​ib/xsleases/leases.dat]/source) replacing from source puppet:///leases/schoolserver.esc​uela278.caacupe.paraguayeduca.org with contents {md5}b03842920a08b63f8b2419bed1fbd8b6
13:08 rgs__, la 278 recibio el leases.dat nuevo
13:09 rgs__ car|0s: pero?
13:09 car|0s rgs__, encontre en /var/lib/xsleases/leases.dat
13:09 rgs__ car|0s: no proceso eso?
13:09 car|0s rgs__, y.. eso estoy mirando..
13:09 rgs__ car|0s: dp corre un script que parte ese .dat en multiples leases files
13:09 car|0s puppet-xs-lease-import
13:09 rgs__ car|0s: veo que hay leases q se crearon hoy
13:09 car|0s q a su vez llama a otro script
13:09 rgs__ car|0s: espera
13:10 car|0s: yo entre a /library/xs-activation-server
13:10 car|0s: y corri find -mtime -1 para ver q archivos se crearon en las ultimas 24hrs
13:10 y me salieron una partida
13:10 osea que finalmente corrio parece
13:11 car|0s rgs__, asi parece.. no veo mas el millon de request de leases de las xo en messages
13:11 rgs__, pero yo corri puppet-xs-lease-import
13:12 rgs__ car|0s: hmmm... hace cuanto corriste?
13:12 car|0s rgs__, ni 5 minutos
13:12 rgs__ car|0s: una pregunta , q hora es en Asu?
13:12 car|0s: las 10am vd?
13:13 car|0s rgs__, asi es
13:13 rgs__ car|0s: pq el server dice 9:12
13:13 car|0s: comentario al margen nomas... no funciona el horario de verano
13:13 car|0s rgs__, pq hubo cambio de hora...
13:13 rgs__ car|0s: pero ya sabismo de este problema, el tema es que son un fedora del anho del pedo con timezones viejos
13:13 car|0s rgs__, sip.. encima el nuestro tan particular
13:13 rgs__ car|0s: volviendo a lo de los leases.. porque sera q puppet no corre el script?
13:14 car|0s rgs__, voy a mirar la 254.. me reportaron el mismo problema
13:15 rgs__, schoolserver.escuela40.caacupe.paraguayeduca.org
13:15 rgs__, 254 offline
13:16 walterbender has quit IRC
13:16 rralcala <rralcala!~rralcala@mail.paraguayeduca.org> has joined #olpc-paraguay
13:18 rralcala has quit IRC
13:19 rralcala <rralcala!~rralcala@mail.paraguayeduca.org> has joined #olpc-paraguay
13:20 rgs__ rralcala: el Alki
13:20 car|0s: con respecto a Puppet
13:20 car|0s: 1) Puppetmaster deberia correr sobre apache/passenger
13:20 bernie: ^
13:20 car|0s: 2) un update de los puppet clients seria interesante
13:21 tch rralcala: que tal caacupe ayer?
13:21 rralcala tch: tranquilo
13:32 rgs__ bernie: around?
13:32 car|0s Oct  6 09:31:37 schoolserver smartd[3618]: Device: /dev/sda, 291 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
13:32 Oct  6 09:31:37 schoolserver smartd[3618]: Device: /dev/sda, 291 Offline uncorrectable sectors
13:32 rgs__ car|0s: ping
13:32 car|0s la gran.. otro disco duro q va morir
13:33 rgs__ car|0s: ouch
13:33 car|0s: vos podes commitear cambios al site.pp config vd?
13:33 car|0s rgs__, eso era para el puppet, no?
13:33 rgs__ car|0s: usando nuestro repo interno de svn para cosas privadas?
13:33 car|0s rgs__, 1 sola vez hice contigo
13:34 rgs__ car|0s: pero sos muy inteligente, una sola vez nomas hace falta mostrarte las cosas :)
13:34 car|0s: tenes a mano el directorio puppetconfigs?
13:34 car|0s: tenemos q agregar el pub key de rralcala
13:34 car|0s: pa que pueda loggearse a los schoolservers
13:35 car|0s rgs__, la verdad q no recuerdo.. tengo q revisar mis notas
13:35 rgs__ car|0s: ??
13:35 car|0s: no te preocupes, yo te guio
13:35 car|0s: encontra nomas la carpeta puppetconfigs
13:35 car|0s: q es un checkout del repo
13:36 car|0s: y ahi adentro hay un archivo site.pp
13:36 car|0s Oct  6 09:31:54 schoolserver puppetd[10062]: Could not call puppetmaster.getconfig: #<#<Class:0xb7a0717c>: execution expired>
13:36 Oct  6 09:31:54 schoolserver puppetd[10062]: Could not retrieve catalog: execution expired
13:36 Oct  6 09:31:57 schoolserver puppetd[10062]: Starting catalog run
13:36 rgs__ car|0s: encontraste?
13:37 car|0s rgs__, si, estoy ahi
13:38 rgs__ car|0s: svn update
13:38 car|0s: pa asegurarnos que tenes lo mas fresco
13:38 y luego necesito que edites site.pp
13:38 bernie rgs__: pong
13:38 car|0s U    site.pp
13:38 Actualizado a la revisión 150.
13:38 bernie rralcala: one of the first tasks to do on the pyedu infrastructure is probably to update all machines to a recent version of fedora
13:39 rgs__ bernie: NO
13:39 bernie rralcala: I did a few of them several months ago
13:39 rgs__: because it would cause breakage?
13:39 rgs__ bernie: lets focus on giving him the tools to solve the actual real problems he has now, other wise we'll overwhelm him
13:39 bernie: because I'd leave that for week 2
13:39 car|0s rgs__, bernie paofila for sure will break
13:40 rgs__ car|0s: podrias fijarte en el site.pp como estan declarados los usuarios
13:40 car|0s: y agregar uno para rralcala con su pub key
13:40 bernie: car|0s will add rralcala to site.pp so he is user along with his pub key is created in each school server
13:40 car|0s rralcala, me podes pegar tu llave?
13:41 bernie car|0s: sure, many things will break, that's to be expected. Though it's probably better to do it until rgs and I are around to help fix the inevitable fallout.
13:42 rgs__: yes, seems reasonable
13:42 rgs__ bernie: universe might freeze first
13:42 rralcala ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAQEA0NVCgHq3nI2rXb06qiq​/xKKdK86tHqmxTqwXTzmtGsQjfNdGsiFs3/kaWT2lkn4Fc1​kKf7eVBTbf4Myn5zKMR8P5+j/GBWLd+Ze1p6hOrfYS+9+yz​p4i91uOBUkdTgUPvp2HGkOGT9BDa8SYlK9CjlSsaCGcYTcM​FR4eXcpBO52vxf5lfnDWEB/8+0sfMkDXwMi9JAIcTxkOC7b​LZQp7pO+cTDivsoTZ/P5EFbnaSCktsvKP7vAyNxUVFQFlsa​HSepars6VdgczHKGHqMxwzzo23XJ5EhLKwuj//yWEDMv0s6​ntOcIrI1rj94E8Gjn3IUyVuuDVa4D2jP575T7TUGQ==
13:43 rgs__ car|0s: cuando hayas editado site.pp, pega en pastebin.org el output de svn diff si queres q mire
13:43 car|0s rgs__, ok
13:48 morganya_afk <morganya_afk!~chatzilla@mail.paraguayeduca.org> has joined #olpc-paraguay
13:48 morganya_afk is now known as morganya
13:49 rgs__ car|0s: ya?
13:49 fm has quit IRC
13:51 car|0s rgs__, si, ya esta
13:51 rgs__, el pastebin lo q tarda.. nuestra super conexion
13:52 rgs__, http://pastebin.org/59353
13:52 rgs__ car|0s: un sec
13:58 car|0s: https://wiki-interno.paraguaye[…]CaacupeMothership
14:00 car|0s: no vayas a borrar el usuario de dsd
14:00 car|0s: agrega lineas nuevas para el de rralcala
14:01 car|0s rgs__, ok. no tengo q modificar sudoers tb?
14:01 rgs__ car|0s: huh?
14:07 car|0s rgs__, http://pastebin.org/59548
14:08 rgs__ car|0s: tambien falta la seccion donde se crea el usuario rralcala
14:10 car|0s rgs__, http://pastebin.org/59575
14:11 rgs__ car|0s: me gusta , valida con rralcala para ver si a el le gusta tb
14:11 car|0s rralcala, http://pastebin.org/59575
14:12 rgs__, dp svn commit y listo?
14:15 walterbender <walterbender!~chatzilla@201.192.97.46> has joined #olpc-paraguay
14:19 morganya is now known as morganya_afk
14:20 rgs__ car|0s: sip
14:20 car|0s: rralcala se encarga del resto
14:20 rralcala: ^
14:25 car|0s: hay que restart-ear los puppets
14:25 pa que se cree el usuario de rralcala en cada server
14:26 car|0s rgs__, rralcala algun servidor en particular o quieren todos?
14:26 rgs__, rralcala eventualemente puppet va correr en todos (cronjob)
14:27 rgs__ car|0s: metele en todos - asi ganamos tiempo
14:28 walterbender has quit IRC
14:29 morganya_afk is now known as morganya
14:43 morganya rgs__: can the uid in a Journal record be decoded into a name? It looks like a hash ...
14:45 rgs__: actually, it looks like the record is saved by the machine's serial number ... that would do too.
14:46 rgs__ morganya: what do you want to do with the uid
14:47 morganya: i think its more of an ID (actually uid = unique identifier)
14:47 morganya: which is probably used to distinguish each entry in a unambigious way
14:47 morganya rgs__: I was curious about decoding to gender and looking for differences in use by gender (I have a script that categorizes names)
14:48 rgs__ morganya: so you want something like getName(UID) ?
14:48 morganya rgs__: ah, then the serial number would be best. I have the table of those from inventario
14:48 rgs__ morganya: yup
14:48 morganya getName(serial) would be fine too
14:48 rgs__ morganya: not sure the name configured for the XO or the SN can be deduced from the UID or any other key in the meta data
14:48 morganya as long as serial is also scraped along with the metadata
14:48 rgs__ morganya: BUT
14:49 morganya rgs__: (serial is the directory name for the backup/metadata?)
14:49 rgs__ morganya: we know the SN because the backup is associated to a SN
14:49 morganya yeah
14:49 rgs__ morganya: yes
14:49 morganya perfect :)
14:49 rgs__ morganya: so what we could do is
14:49 morganya rgs__: we can also determine whether they're in school in the morning or afternoon from that
14:50 rgs__ morganya: mix your code (that looks up gender based on SN) with the rest of the analysis code
14:50 morganya: once you have the SN you can do many fancy things :)
14:50 morganya rgs__: and differentiate between activities used in class vs. activities at home
14:50 rgs__: yeah :)
14:50 rgs__ morganya: niiiece
14:50 morganya: would you be so kind to dump these ideas into the Wiki article we starte?
14:50 morganya sure
14:51 rgs__ morganya: having this publicly available will lower the barriers so can convert them into code
14:51 morganya: dont forget to register/login before editing the wiki so we know who edited what
14:51 morganya sounds good
14:51 [scs] rralcala: http://www.llibrewebsantillana.cat/
14:55 rgs__ morganya: (and then reply to my 1st email with a heads up - so that everyone can know we are making some progress)
14:56 morganya rgs__: sure :)
15:02 rgs__: we don't have duration, do we? The amount of time kids spent on the activity? Or is that the timestamp?
15:04 rgs__ morganya: we have mtime and timestamp
15:05 morganya: if want is the start and the other when the last edit occured - that might be useful
15:05 morganya: the interesting thing of this whole discussion is that stuff like this (the need to know for how a long an activity was used - or at least open) can then (more or less easily) be implement
15:06 ed
15:06 morganya rgs__: yeah
15:06 rgs__ morganya: knowing how long an activity was used is veeery important. And we could even think of crazy heuristics to figure out the intensity of the use
15:07 morganya rgs__: we don't have the number of times an activity instance has been opened, either ... that would be another that sounds like it should be easy to add and would be interesting.
15:07 rgs__: so we could add the total amount of time an activity was used and the number of separate occasions it was opened (so was this work done all at once or spread out)
15:08 rgs__: hmm ... for intensity, you could record the number of clicks or mouse movements, but that starts to get kind of creepy. I want to respect the kids' privacy, too ...
15:08 rgs__: ... even though the social scientist in me wants as much data as possible for analysis. ;)
15:10 rgs__ morganya: yes - I can see the title of Malcom Gladwell's next book
15:11 morganya: re number of times an activity was opened, for each time an activity is open you get a Journal entry so...
15:11 morganya rgs__: *laugh* I just have to learn to *write* like him first ... then we'll be set ;)
15:11 rgs__: ah, I see -- they already generate separate entries
15:12 rgs__ morganya: activity opened --> entry created
15:12 morganya rgs__: so we could know from the title that it's the same instance of an activity opened again, unless they change it
15:12 rgs__ (--> == implies)
15:12 which begs the questin.. does it make sense to save an empty entry?
15:13 I am sure it has been discussed ad nauseam - bernie or walter should be able to elaborate more on the rationale of creating empty entries
15:13 morganya how would the entry be empty? If something is opened and then closed again right away, for example?
15:13 rgs__ morganya: you can know from the activity_id I think
15:14 morganya rgs__: ah, that persists ... perfect
15:14 rgs__ morganya: you can always now the correspondance between an entry and an activity irregardless of if a title was set or not
15:15 morganya rgs__: it isn't the case that all instances of Navegar, for example, have the same activity ID, even if they are new sessions of the browser (rather than starting from previous work)?
15:15 rgs__ [scs]: ping
15:15 morganya rgs__: for example, if I open two instances of Navegar at the same time, will they have unique activity_ids?
15:16 rgs__ morganya: no idea about that - I'd have to check
15:27 rralcala has quit IRC
15:29 morganya_ <morganya_!~chatzilla@mail.paraguayeduca.org> has joined #olpc-paraguay
15:30 morganya has quit IRC
15:30 morganya_ is now known as morganya
15:32 rgs__ morganya: around_
15:32 ?
15:32 morganya: a couple of notes of your latest additions
15:33 morganya rgs__: my description of the extra metadata is a bit vague right now, sorry :)
15:33 rgs__: sure
15:33 rgs__: I can add more detail to that one section later, though
15:33 rgs__ do you have a table that classifies games (i.e.: educational vs non-educational) ? We'd probably have to build such table
15:34 the question about how activities spread is an interesting one - I wonder how we could tackle it
15:34 morganya rgs__: yes, we'd have to build it. I have a decent sense of what games are *considered* educational vs. non-educational by teachers and parents. :)
15:34 rgs__ morganya: that is a great start! :-)
15:35 morganya: so we have 2 milestones ahead - that I can think of - right now:
15:36 morganya rgs__: I was thinking that we could look for the first instance of activity use for each person (disregarding the most common activities) to determine when an activity was spread to that person ... but how to establish connections would be more difficult. There could be some weighted function based on school/grade/class ...
15:36 rgs__ 1) figuring out how to measure the things that right now can't be measured (i.e.: usage time of an activity)
15:36 (this requires design, code, testing and installation - very time consuming)
15:37 2) crunch the journals into a DB or something from which we can run all the questions
15:37 morganya rgs__: this would be modifying the Journal metadata that is saved?
15:37 rgs__: they're just dumped into a text file now, right?
15:37 rgs__ morganya: what time frame are we looking into? Bear in mind that many things will probably take a lot of time. You are opening a new path for future investigations though!
15:37 morganya: yes and yes
15:38 morganya: I suspect the changes we are after are non invasive
15:38 morganya: none the lest you'd have to patch 10K Sugar installations
15:38 morganya: not impossible but not trivial either
15:38 morganya: plus i think bernie has turned off the OS update mechanism
15:38 morganya: which would have been an interesting vector to spread out the changes
15:39 morganya rgs__: hmm ... well, I feel like this could be really interesting, so I'm willing to put time toward it ... my Uruguay time keeps shrinking more and more, though. :) My other main task is to write and test an exam for third and sixth grades. I have a draft already, but it needs translation and validation ...
15:39 rgs__ bernie: olpc-update disabled on the 0.84 builds used in Caacupe? Have about Dextrose?
15:39 tch: ^
15:39 car|0s: ^
15:39 morganya rgs__: bbl
15:39 tch rgs_: hasta donde se, no tenemos corriendo eso, y si tenemos jamas se probo
15:40 rgs__ morganya: we should have 2 parts: 1) do whatever we can with the available data now and 2) plan for the changes needed to get a richer data set
15:40 tch: osea que si queres sacar un update para el datastore seria:
15:40 1) re-flash (tambien necesitas un nuevo build)
15:40 2) rpm -Uvh a mano 10K veces?
15:41 tch basicamente, no llegamos a cubrir la parte de updates para dx1
15:43 rgs__ tch: no entiendo eso?
15:43 tch: hubo una discussion de como se harian los updates automaticos encima de dx1 pero no se concluyo nada?
15:43 tch: tipo olpc-update vs yum upgrade etc?
15:44 tch si, yo me tire por lo de yum pero no se llego a implementar
15:44 mucho overhead
15:44 rgs__ tch: pero hacia falta un breakthrough para meterle pure yum upgrades?
15:44 tch en general, se tuvo que en invertir en otras cuestiones
15:44 rgs__ tch: entiendo
15:44 morganya is now known as morganya_afk
15:45 rgs__ tch: bottom line: no hay un network based (transparent) update scheme hoy en dia?
15:45 tch nope, todavia no llego eso a la realidad,
15:46 ni siquiera probamos el olpc-update
15:47 rgs__ tch: ok
15:48 tch ademas, dextrose se esta usando en 60 maquinas nomas hoy en dia,
15:48 hasta que se le de el "go" al resto de DO
15:53 rgs__ morganya_afk: so, there is probably a big Software update (migrating from F11/Sugar-0.84 to Dextrose-1) ahead. If we come up with trivial non-intrusive patches to the Journal in order to have it help us answer the questions we are pursuing we might be able to piggy back on those efforts and have every laptop in Caacupe loaded with a version of Sugar that is friendly to number crunching
15:54 morganya_afk: the bad thing is that this means the data wouldn't be able before April/May '11
16:01 s/able/available/g
16:05 jasg has quit IRC
16:59 bernie rgs__: olpc-update is enabled (but untested) in dextrose-1 and dextrose-2
16:59 rgs__: not in dextrose-0 (aka f11-xo1-py)
17:00 rgs__ bernie: ah
17:00 bernie rgs__: nobody tested it though. I would recommend against trying to use it for updates.
17:01 rgs__: the easiest and fastest method remains handing over usb sticks to teachers and children
17:01 rgs__: in uruguay they told me they just publish the image on their web site
17:01 rgs__: then teachers and volunteers do the rest
17:02 rgs__ bernie: nice
17:03 bernie rgs__: I asked: "what is some school does not upgrade?" the candid answer: "if they don't upgrade, then they keep running the old version!"
17:04 rgs__ bernie: Pacita's universe doesn't seem to follow those rules
17:22 morganya_afk is now known as morganya
17:22 morganya rgs__: back :)
17:23 rgs__ morganya: read the back log , I have to go out in a bit
17:23 morganya rgs__: April-May 2011 is better than nothing. :) And we can do what we can with the data now too.
17:23 rgs__: no prob! sorry I had to run for a while too ... had to go with Carla
17:27 rgs__ morganya: the 2 phase approach sounds nice
17:46 rralcala <rralcala!~rralcala@mail.paraguayeduca.org> has joined #olpc-paraguay
17:46 car|0s rralcala, http://pastebin.org/62467
17:47 jasg <jasg!~jorge@mail.paraguayeduca.org> has joined #olpc-paraguay
17:52 car|0s rralcala, http://pastebin.org/62547 el squid
17:59 carlos__ <carlos__!~carlos@170.51.37.39> has joined #olpc-paraguay
18:03 car|0s has quit IRC
18:23 tch From 0.90 release notes: "Protected activities: The GConf key \"/schemas/desktop/sugar/protected_activities\" has been added. You can set a list of activities that users will not be allowed to erase through the list view." nice nice
18:35 dfarning_ <dfarning_!~dfarning@71.13.116.9> has joined #olpc-paraguay
18:53 carlos__ tch, q grande letinche. fue aceptado el patch upstream?
18:53 tch sehh el mes pasado ya,
18:53 me da risa nomas porque pense que no iban a publicar jaja
18:54 porque viste que es medio controversial
18:54 carlos__ tch, depende el punto de vista..
19:18 morganya rgs__: just sent my code ... forgive the hackiness of it (I'm kind of out of practice ;))
19:18 rgs__: I'm also curious about the internet logs, but we can talk about those later ... just want to keep it on the table :)
19:20 rgs__ morganya: we've got scs blessing to access though
19:20 morganya rgs__: yep
19:20 rgs__ morganya: the technical challenge the remains is go to co-relate those with SNs
19:20 (again - we need to know stuff like gender, age, moring/afternoon shift)
19:21 morganya rgs__: yes ... I can add the necessary function calls to the classes in the code I sent
19:21 rgs__: that part will be easy :)
19:21 rgs__ so you can come up with Gladcom-ish facts like "why do kids in the afternoon perfer to access directly Wikipedia instead of using Google as a gateway?"
19:21 is it because they have lots of meat on lunch?
19:21 morganya haha :)
19:21 rgs__ morganya:  not so fast!
19:22 morganya: unless you've figured out how to match Squid logs with SN info
19:22 morganya: I know you've figured out getSomeAttribute(SN)
19:22 morganya rgs__: though the way it works now is to keep the whole data structure in memory ... the number of problems or laptops is small enough now. but just a warning ... this probably shouldn't be run in Uruguay (though they probably don't use Inventario anyway) ;)
19:22 rgs__ morganya: but in the case of internet logs there is no SN associated - only a transient IP address
19:23 morganya ah yes
19:23 rgs__ morganya: so, we need a trick to fix that inconvenience
19:23 morganya: (so hopefully - we can rebuilt the info from what went on in the past months)
19:23 morganya rgs__: I was referring more to the journals ... but yeah, the server logs won't have nearly as much metadata
19:23 rgs__ morganya: otherwise we'll have to re-configure stuff and wait a few more months until the new data gets generate :(
19:24 morganya: ahhh.. you want to come learn about the Internet browsing habits from the Journal entries...
19:24 morganya oh, one possible field for a "Navegar" instance in the future would be the last URL accessed ... or some URL record. Last accessed seems more useful than first accessed.
19:24 rgs__ morganya: that might work.. because Browse persists the surfing history
19:25 morganya: actually , learned this from my time hacking Browse back in July, for each instance of Browse the whole Browsing history is saved
19:25 morganya rgs__: really!
19:25 rgs__: wow ...
19:26 rgs__: if kids clear their journals, do those entries still persist on the school server? or are they erased to match the state of the machine on the next backup?
19:27 rgs__: also, what percentage of kids have backups on the school servers? Is it all of them?
19:27 rgs__ re #1
19:27 morganya rgs__: or do they have to do something special to trigger a backup?
19:27 rgs__: sorry, a flood of questions! :)
19:28 rgs__ there are multiple snapshots -although I still havent figured out correctly what the backup strategy really covers
19:28 re #2
19:28 after the massive update to F11/0.84 it seems many laptops weren't re-registered against their corresponding school server - hence disabling effectively the backup mech
19:28 re #3
19:29 the only pre-requisite to have backups running is being registered against a School Server
19:29 morganya great, thanks :)
19:33 rgs__: we can also check how the coverage is against the full list of laptops, though we won't know if any particular laptop's logs are incomplete (e.g. is that month gap because the kid was clearing her journal, because the laptop wasn't registering with the server, or because she didn't use her laptop for a month?)
19:34 rgs__ morganya: gotta run (again!). Can we resume this later?
19:34 morganya rgs__: no prob!
20:15 carlos__ has quit IRC
20:24 dfarning_ has quit IRC
20:33 tch has quit IRC
20:59 rralcala has quit IRC
21:05 tch <tch!~tch@186.16.74.160> has joined #olpc-paraguay
21:48 jasg has quit IRC
21:52 morganya has quit IRC
22:12 rgs__ [scs]: ping
22:40 [scs] rgs__: pong
22:46 rgs__ [scs]: Profe viste el tema del pasaje de Walter con Leti?
23:44 walterbender <walterbender!~chatzilla@201.192.97.46> has joined #olpc-paraguay

 « Previous day | Index | Today | Next day »     Channels | Search | Join

Powered by ilbot/Modified.
Webmaster